The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid circles the drain
Old 25th March 2014
  #301
Lives for gear
 

I think Avid/Digidesign have really limited themselves with their "Great Wall of China" RTAS, and what is it now? AAX?

I mean, let's be honest. There are a ton more people that just compose than those that mix. They made the software wholly unable to be used a full production suite. It just never worked right. Tons of problems. Tons of crashes. Tons of compatibility issues. Tons of errors loading sessions that just worked a day ago. Why? Why? Why?

Saying all that, I would NEVER mix in Cubase or Logic. Horrendous platforms for mixing. Audio routing is two steps too long. I mean, Cubase is just terrible as far as I'm concerned.


I still keep Pro tools around for when I'm in the mood for a headache, ehhmm I mean mixing. Other than that, Avid can hit the road jack and not come back no more, for all I care!
Old 25th March 2014
  #302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
I think Avid/Digidesign have really limited themselves with their "Great Wall of China" RTAS, and what is it now? AAX?

I mean, let's be honest. There are a ton more people that just compose than those that mix. They made the software wholly unable to be used a full production suite. It just never worked right. Tons of problems. Tons of crashes. Tons of compatibility issues. Tons of errors loading sessions that just worked a day ago. Why? Why? Why?
Isolated problems don't make a bad system. Whilst I agree the delay to 64bit and lesser instrument performance mean PT isn't as great for writers, crashes aren't a usual occurrence on a well set up system. The only time I get PT crashes is when I'm pushing the memory limits in PT (with instruments or lots of Autotunes). Rest of the time - rock solid. I've set up a LOT of PT rigs, and they don't suffer from those issues.

And don't forget - Logic/Cubase were writer/producer focussed software that bolted on audio performance. Pro Tools was a digital tape recorder/editor that added instrument support. That still shows today, and probably explains why engineers prefer pro tools and writers Logic etc (in the main).

The throughput (TDM -> native and back again) makes the RTAS (and now AAX) formats necessary. VST/AU doesn't support the hardware, so you can't just "replace" the AAX format. If you don't go between rigs, you might not appreciate this, but for those of us that do, the compatibility is essential.

I think that's at the heart of the Avid problem really (to drag this back on topic). It's pro level software, with hardware to match, that's come late to the prosumer/indie level consumer, and not totally successfully. There's no better software/hardware combo for many of us moving between studios, working on high end rigs and then taking things back to edit on laptops and home systems. Trouble is - as you point out, there's far more people at home recording in bedrooms, or writing on their laptops, and PT isn't the "standard" for that user. If it was - Avid might not be in trouble, regardless of poor management (plenty of badly run companies survive financially). In the pro market, they're competing against themselves, in a diminishing market. It's not really that there's a competing product (no one in the original HD target market is really switching to Logic or something else native, in substantial numbers). There's just not a massive market in the first place, and it's shrinking all the time.
Old 25th March 2014
  #303
Lives for gear
The real problem for Avid is that they are fixated on the diminishing (as Psycho Monkey says) pro-audio markets in places like the US and the UK.

I work with young music students and similar bods. What are they using? Reaper. Why? Because it is easy to use, you can download it for free and it comes with every plugin you could wish for. It's no good targeting the pros, they are yesterday's market. Tomorrow's market is what Avid needs to worry about!

The other thing that Avid are missing is the Third World market. By being totally obsessed with what Hollywood and Pinewood are using, Avid are missing the largest market and the ONLY one that is growing!

The argument that developing countries are overrun with cracks and pirated copies and therefore is not worth bothering about, is bunk. People have to start smewhere and even in the First World,they started with cracks. Once they had found their feet and learned how to do things, they migrated to fully paid for and more advanced systems.
Old 25th March 2014
  #304
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
The real problem for Avid is that they are fixated on the diminishing (as Psycho Monkey says) pro-audio markets in places like the US and the UK.

I work with young music students and similar bods. What are they using? Reaper. Why? Because it is easy to use, you can download it for free and it comes with every plugin you could wish for. It's no good targeting the pros, they are yesterday's market. Tomorrow's market is what Avid needs to worry about!

The other thing that Avid are missing is the Third World market. By being totally obsessed with what Hollywood and Pinewood are using, Avid are missing the largest market and the ONLY one that is growing!

The argument that developing countries are overrun with cracks and pirated copies and therefore is not worth bothering about, is bunk. People have to start smewhere and even in the First World,they started with cracks. Once they had found their feet and learned how to do things, they migrated to fully paid for and more advanced systems.
AVID

Yesterday's products for Yesterday's customers
1
Share
Old 25th March 2014
  #305
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell View Post
AVID

Yesterday's products for Yesterday's customers


AVID - A Very Idiotic Disguise


Someone PLEASE make this their sig.
1
Share
Old 25th March 2014
  #306
Gear Addict
 
Jake's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I think that's at the heart of the Avid problem really (to drag this back on topic). It's pro level software, with hardware to match, that's come late to the prosumer/indie level consumer, and not totally successfully. There's no better software/hardware combo for many of us moving between studios, working on high end rigs and then taking things back to edit on laptops and home systems. Trouble is - as you point out, there's far more people at home recording in bedrooms, or writing on their laptops, and PT isn't the "standard" for that user. If it was - Avid might not be in trouble, regardless of poor management (plenty of badly run companies survive financially). In the pro market, they're competing against themselves, in a diminishing market. It's not really that there's a competing product (no one in the original HD target market is really switching to Logic or something else native, in substantial numbers). There's just not a massive market in the first place, and it's shrinking all the time.
Along similar lines, the big problem it seems to me is that Avid is a publicly traded company which often requires management to seek continual growth to maintain its share value and market cap. The most practical path for Avid to grow would be to aggressively expand its consumer lines but it has been reluctant or unable to do what is needed to compete in that market.

At the end of the day, it seems to me that Avid would function better as a smaller privately held company that provides a more focused range of high end audio/video solutions to commercial end users. While this may be a shrinking market, there will always be a market for large scale audio/video installations and Avid is well-positioned in that market. Just me spitballing here, but a leaner, stripped down Avid operating as the pro division/line of a larger company probably makes the most business sense. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 26th March 2014
  #307
Gear Head
 
louieshowers's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
AVID - A Very Idiotic Disguise


Someone PLEASE make this their sig.
The problem in my opinion is their deliberate disrespect to their customers. They charge exorbitant prices for their products and still provide no communication with their customers when a glitch or crash occurs. They have the audacity to charge additional money for tech support, which often times results in "sorry, you need to purchase a new component (memory, graphics card..etc.etc.) sometimes even a different computer. People reported a GUI freeze bug that caused a 3 second freeze that disrupted playback on windows machines for PT 10 last year. After about 6 months of certain "users" and avid tech support blaming the customers for not "using due diligence", Avid released a new version (after 6 months of a broken release) and the problem was gone. The final straw was intentionally not writing drivers for people's pro control/control 24 in Pro tools 11....A slap in the face for people who paid upwards of $10,000 for theses units. Coincidentally, they released the new Avid S6 console....... I really want pro tools to survive, but not Avid. They do not deserve to survive IMHO.
3
Share
Old 27th March 2014
  #308
Lives for gear
 

Look at what I've been looking at for the past hour, trying to load old pro tools sessions. Every one of them screws up. For no reason. Where you at Psycho monkey, time to save the day for Pro tools and blame it on user error. SMH.
Attached Thumbnails
Avid circles the drain-screen-shot-2014-03-26-10.25.15-pm.jpg  
Old 27th March 2014
  #309
Lives for gear
 

Gotta love these ones!
Attached Thumbnails
Avid circles the drain-screen-shot-2014-03-26-11.02.29-pm.jpg  
Old 27th March 2014
  #310
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
The problem in my opinion is their deliberate disrespect to their customers. They charge exorbitant prices for their products and still provide no communication with their customers when a glitch or crash occurs. They have the audacity to charge additional money for tech support, which often times results in "sorry, you need to purchase a new component (memory, graphics card..etc.etc.) sometimes even a different computer. People reported a GUI freeze bug that caused a 3 second freeze that disrupted playback on windows machines for PT 10 last year. After about 6 months of certain "users" and avid tech support blaming the customers for not "using due diligence", Avid released a new version (after 6 months of a broken release) and the problem was gone. The final straw was intentionally not writing drivers for people's pro control/control 24 in Pro tools 11....A slap in the face for people who paid upwards of $10,000 for theses units. Coincidentally, they released the new Avid S6 console....... I really want pro tools to survive, but not Avid. They do not deserve to survive IMHO.
You act like ****tyDesign was better. This company and this software is a barbie doll with AIDS! It doesn't get any better. It's the type of company you want to see do bad so you feel better about spending thousands of hours working on stuff, only to see it not open, or files become magically corrupted, or DAE, or insufficient system resources, or freezes, or - or - or - or. I vote down with Pro tools, down with Avid, and down with whoever the people that make up this company are. They get the kind of love parking police gets.
Old 27th March 2014
  #311
Lives for gear
 

Stallone,

If you're so down on Avid and Pro Tools, just switch.

It's really that simple, with no shortage of DAWs out there. I am waiting for the dust to settle before upgrading my four systems. If PT looks to be in trouble, I am currently planning a switch to Sonar.

Hope it doesn't come to that, but we all need a backup plan.
Old 27th March 2014
  #312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
Look at what I've been looking at for the past hour, trying to load old pro tools sessions. Every one of them screws up. For no reason. Where you at Psycho monkey, time to save the day for Pro tools and blame it on user error. SMH.
I'd like to ask you to have sone respect - I spend a hell of a lot of time helping people with pro tools issues, and I don't appreciate sarcastic comments from new members.

If I'm defending something I use every day with minimal issues, there's a reason for that. The reason being my own rigs (and the studio I work at, and the 11 or so I used to maintain at my previous job) didn't have the issues reported.

I would never claim user error - problems can come from specific bugs, from incompatibilities, and any number of other sources.

I just take a dim view of those who go "xx is crap, it doesn't work" because of one bad experience. It clearly DOES work because thousands of us don't have any issues! This isn't just pro tools, it could be anything.

If you're having an issue with your rig, post in the relevant pro tools forum and I'll try to help you. But don't come derailing threads with sarcastic comments - it won't make you popular.
5
Share
Old 27th March 2014
  #313
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Isolated problems don't make a bad system. Whilst I agree the delay to 64bit and lesser instrument performance mean PT isn't as great for writers, crashes aren't a usual occurrence on a well set up system. The only time I get PT crashes is when I'm pushing the memory limits in PT (with instruments or lots of Autotunes). Rest of the time - rock solid. I've set up a LOT of PT rigs, and they don't suffer from those issues.
Although this might be true, PT is much more picky about the systems it runs on than Cubase. You can throw Cubase at pretty much any system and it will run. Not so with PT. (You might not notice this as much on Macs of course).

Also PT is more temperamental for some reason. The other day I launched PT and it wouldn't play. (Dreaded 9xxx errors even with a single track and no plugins). Thrashing the preferences fixed the problem but why did I have to do that? Nothing had changed since the day before... With Cubase this never ever happens. And don't tell me that thrashing the preferences and/or databases is unknown with PT rigs, PC or Mac. There are scripts and little applications made specifically for the task. Tell me you have never thrown away the PT preferences... (Admittedly it has much improved since years ago). In Cubase? Most people wouldn't even know where to find the preferences files because we never ever have to deal with them. Cubase is actually rock solid in a way that PT is not.

Quote:
And don't forget - Logic/Cubase were writer/producer focussed software that bolted on audio performance. Pro Tools was a digital tape recorder/editor that added instrument support. That still shows today, and probably explains why engineers prefer pro tools and writers Logic etc (in the main).
The phrase "with audio bolted on" is disingenuous. Cubase has had audio since 1991. That is 23 years! For the first two years it actually used Digidesign's TDM for audio! Since 1996 when Steinberg introduced Cubase VST, the audio engine is the core of the software and everything, including MIDI, hangs off that. (That is what makes it so incredibly robust and tight!)

I agree that there are differences in the User Interface that favors particular tasks but that said, the Cubase audio engine is vastly superior to the Pro Tools one! And that includes PT11.

A few examples of the superiority of Cubase's audio engine:
- Unlimited track count which in practice means more tracks than even a HDX3 rig can handle.
- Record arming of tracks at any time including during playback. You test JUST the track you want to record on and it is auto-armed. Press record (even during playback) and it records. (I tested this in one of my example sessions with 300 stereo tracks and 600 plugins running. Just hit CTRL-A, all tracks are record armed. Hit record and all 300 tracks are recording. Not glitches, nothing).
- No audio gaps during selection/looping changes: In Cubase you can change the loop selection at any time and there are no glitches. This means that Cubase is like a musical instrument that you can play. In PT if you change the loop selection, the audio gaps.
- Virtual Instrument count and efficiency is still much higher in Cubase than PT11.
- Ability to change sample rates at any time with ASIO interfaces. Cubase doesn't care. It even asks you if you want to adjust the Project Settings or continue with a differing sample rate (which means the audio plays back at a different speed. Cubase doesn't care, just let the user do what they want). PT can't do this. Not surprising in TDM/HDX but why can't it do it with Native versions?
- You can even change the ASIO buffers of your interface during playback in Cubase. There will be a small glitch as Cubase switches but other than that it doesn't care. Everything just keeps going. Admittedly this isn't particularly useful for anything but it shows the amazing robustness of the audio engine.

Well the list goes on...

The thing is, Avid just rewrote the whole PT audio engine for PT11 and yet it is still years behind the Cubase audio engine. No excuses.

Quote:
The throughput (TDM -> native and back again) makes the RTAS (and now AAX) formats necessary. VST/AU doesn't support the hardware, so you can't just "replace" the AAX format. If you don't go between rigs, you might not appreciate this, but for those of us that do, the compatibility is essential.
There is no inherent technical reason why PT couldn't support the VST standard besides RTAS/AAX. Fairlight supports VST, so does Pyramix and basically every DAW on the planet except Pro Tools (and I believe Logic but I could be wrong).

I understand what you mean by compatibility. You are referring to TDM/RTAS and AAX-DSP/AAX-native compatibility. Even though PT could support VST and even replace TDM/AAX-DSP plugins by their VST counterpart when moving a PT session from a TDM/HDX rig to a native rig, this is likely to cause issues with automation parameters. But that really is the only issue as far as I am aware. Still, this is a choice by Avid. Not a technical impossibility in itself. A choice I understand and respect mind you! But let's get the facts straight.

All this being said, on the User Interface front, PT is much more geared towards audio engineers than musicians and producers and as far as I know, nothing beats the PT HD automation features. That is why I use PT for Post Production (and would recommend it for multi-track recording) but it has nothing to do with the underlying engine. Cubase has the edge engine wise IMO unless you need DSP assisted very low-latency performance which simply doesn't exist for Cubase.

Quote:
I think that's at the heart of the Avid problem really (to drag this back on topic). It's pro level software, with hardware to match, that's come late to the prosumer/indie level consumer, and not totally successfully. There's no better software/hardware combo for many of us moving between studios, working on high end rigs and then taking things back to edit on laptops and home systems. Trouble is - as you point out, there's far more people at home recording in bedrooms, or writing on their laptops, and PT isn't the "standard" for that user. If it was - Avid might not be in trouble, regardless of poor management (plenty of badly run companies survive financially). In the pro market, they're competing against themselves, in a diminishing market. It's not really that there's a competing product (no one in the original HD target market is really switching to Logic or something else native, in substantial numbers). There's just not a massive market in the first place, and it's shrinking all the time.
Fully agreed on the above.

Alistair
Old 27th March 2014
  #314
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
If I'm defending something I use every day with minimal issues, there's a reason for that. The reason being my own rigs (and the studio I work at, and the 11 or so I used to maintain at my previous job) didn't have the issues reported.
It's an atitude thing - or karma or something!

There are people who buy product X and have nothing but problems. Others don't. I have a friend and every car and computer he has ever had, has had a problem. He got himself a brand new VW Passat and within a year it was broken. His new laptop failed and his main PC failed. I don't know how he does it.
Old 27th March 2014
  #315
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFlood View Post
Stallone,

If you're so down on Avid and Pro Tools, just switch.

It's really that simple, with no shortage of DAWs out there. I am waiting for the dust to settle before upgrading my four systems. If PT looks to be in trouble, I am currently planning a switch to Sonar.

Hope it doesn't come to that, but we all need a backup plan.
I have switched, but the problem that I can't open half of my sessions still remains. And the ones I can open, half of the instruments are "Inactivated due to insufficient system resources." Yeah, on a 2012 3.4 ghz i7 imac with 16 Gigs.

I don't know one DAW that this happens on. I made a song in Ableton in 2007 on Live 7. I open it now in Live 9, it works. No discussions. These pro tools problems followed me over 3 computers (1 windows XP, 1 macbook pro, and my current imac). My friend who makes music also had a Mbox 2 Pro setup with PT LE 8. He doesn't use it anymore, switched to Cubase. He had similar experiences.

My problem is when people try to make it seem like it's user error. This company needs to be exposed for who they really are. It's not about respect. What respect when I spent thousands on this software including their hardware, and not to mention the time, and all I'm left with is corrupt sessions of basically most of my work?

Being a musician is about doing something you love. Every time I used Pro Tools in the past I would end up frustrated and angry. It never left me satisfied. When things did work, I was left with a feeling that this "isn't gonna last." And I was right. So, sorry if I feel bitter towards Pro Tools, but I think I am justified. I will never give them another penny, and I feel great about that.
Old 27th March 2014
  #316
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'd like to ask you to have sone respect - I spend a hell of a lot of time helping people with pro tools issues, and I don't appreciate sarcastic comments from new members.

If I'm defending something I use every day with minimal issues, there's a reason for that. The reason being my own rigs (and the studio I work at, and the 11 or so I used to maintain at my previous job) didn't have the issues reported.
The reason is, you don't use virtual instruments. I have sessions that open up fine, and they don't use any virtual instruments. In addition, you use Pro Tools HD. Your positive experience doesn't discount mine, or the thousands of people like me. Mix/mastering engineers who use HD don't represent the majority.
Old 27th March 2014
  #317
Gear Head
 
louieshowers's Avatar
 

It is undeniable that Pro Tools/Avid has failed (as a whole) to deliver to their target. I totally understand Stallone's frustration. I actually hold equal if not more of a degree of contempt for this company as they have let me down so much. However, I have learned that you will never be able to get an Avid defender to admit any level of fault on the quality of the product.

Having said that, I do believe that a mutual respect among forum users should remain. That respect goes both ways. We need not attack each other. The people that have had a positive experience with PT need to also respect users that have thrown endless hours at trying to troubleshoot a program that consistently does not function correctly. Because an individual uses a system that flies with zero issues every time, does not at all discount or disprove the thousands of people who have pulled their hair out to the point of madness. I do admit that people with expertise (similar to Psychomonkey, but not him specifically) have bailed me out a few times and helped me repair the issues at hand. For that I am grateful. But if you step outside the frame and look at the whole picture, why is there SO MUCH NEED for damage control/troubleshooting?? IMHO I feel that it is Avid's priority to milk money from users first, and the quality and versatility of their product comes much later down the line. This is such a common sentiment in the music industry (not just high end mega studios, but bedroom studios must be considered too).

I have literally never came across a company that has generated this degree of anger and dissatisfaction from its users. I mean, there are people that are just furious!! Assertions errors, buffer errors, dae errors, audio can't be written to the drive fast enough, low system resources, gui freezes, random crashes, clicks and pops, incompatibilities, corrupt sessions, having to delete preferences and databases randomly with no explanations, using a damn dongle, limited functionality, exclusion of RTAS in pT11 (to force more developers into driving aax sales for them), deliberately killing control surfaces to try and increase sales, releasing products that are not ready for months later, long after the release date and using their customers to troubleshoot and report bugs *indirectly to their forum where "no direct contact is made with avid programmers"..etc until releasing a new "dysfunctional" version and charging top dollar for upgrading! It's just a fail. And yes, this is the moan zone so presto! Moan moan moan...! lol

I respect and appreciate those people who help others with these issues, but it infuriates me to hear the whole blame game on customers. (NOT REFERRING TO PSYCHO MONKEY or anyone on this forum) Because of the certain fan boys that exist and robotically support all things AVID, I feel that Avid operates as a quasi- conspiracy. Think about it, someone is getting rich from these prices. But as I predicted a couple of years ago, people who use this program are relatively intelligent *except for me ...There is only so long that users are going to put up with these actions. I'm afraid that the games are over and Avid needs a huge face lift, total restructuring and housecleaning. And the first step would be to show some RESPECT to the passionate users of this *potentially awesome product.

Good day all.

-Lou
1
Share
Old 27th March 2014
  #318
Lives for gear
 

Sticking to personal experiences, sharing info, being critical in a constructive manor, and speculation to engage debate are all HEALTHY actions and what enriches a forum. Personal attacks hurt forums.

Avid's too small a company and doesn't touch enough consumers to make the below linked yearly list but sadly there are plenty of companies that could care less about their customers.

EA’s Worst Company In America Reign Comes To An End With Loss To Time Warner Cable – Consumerist

The trouble is many times we have little if any choice in using them and where there is some choice there is collusion. It's funny how many of these companies scream for "free markets" and "Capitalism" yet do everything in their powers to prevent that through law regulation that they write or pay for and law suits. Additionally when things are on the downturn these companies are first in line for subsidies and bail outs, never uttering the words "corporate welfare" or "Socialism" that they are engaging in. The pendulum needs to start swinging back the other way as these parasitic actors need to be checked. Now if only the compensation for executives was in line, especially for long term non-performance and failure tied into the consumer/customer experience then you would really see how a free market works. Failure should not be rewarded however Avid's executives have made and continue to make obscene money regardless of their failures and should the company sell before bankruptcy the board members have positioned themselves for further enrichment. Besides the huge yearly layoffs and the harm they have caused ALL Americans through shipping jobs overseas, there was no cut in their compensation.

The trouble with supporting an "Industry Standard" is behavior like this. I frankly feel those who go from studio to studio would be better served with the chaos of competition with it's focus on consumer satisfaction or die. When you look at the true costs of having an entrenched single company controlling any market segment, the consumers always get f'ed. Avid is just the "mini-me" version of the above linked companies.
4
Share
Old 28th March 2014
  #319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
The reason is, you don't use virtual instruments. I have sessions that open up fine, and they don't use any virtual instruments. In addition, you use Pro Tools HD. Your positive experience doesn't discount mine, or the thousands of people like me. Mix/mastering engineers who use HD don't represent the majority.
My word, you don't know a thing about me!

I own HD native and I also use it with non HD hardware

I own komplete ultimate, ivory, predator, sampletank, a whole bunch of other instruments, and use them all the time. You have no clue about what I do regarding production or writing, please don't assume that you do!

Just because you and some others have issues, it doesn't mean that there's far more people who never do and therefore you don't hear from them here - to paraphrase your argument!

I don't know why you're having issues, you seem to have ignored the practical advice for getting help I gave you. If you can't load previous sessions that used to work, self-evidently something has changed. For example - are you starting with a high buffer size before trying to load intensive sessions? If not, that can cause issues.

Yes - PT10 has known limitations in memory and so on, which can cause issues with instruments. Hopefully a thing of the past with pt11.

Computers inherently are complex things which will have issues at times. I see far more problems with other software ( live/logic primarily on producers' own rigs) than I ever have on ANY of my rigs. I also see very stable setups. Whilst I wouldn't say it's "user error", there's clearly some things some people are doing (or not doing) that others are, to cause the difference. That might include pirated plugins, changing settings that affect the whole system, incompatible plugins, poor data management and so on. But I repeat - if the system didn't work, we'd all be having issues.

I also repeat - this is not what this thread is about, so if you want help, post in the correct section!
Old 28th March 2014
  #320
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I think that's at the heart of the Avid problem really (to drag this back on topic). It's pro level software, with hardware to match, that's come late to the prosumer/indie level consumer, and not totally successfully.
This is the WHOLE issue for me.

Is working with timecode a professional feature?
Is input monitoring a professional feature?
Are VCA groups a professional feature?
Do x number of tracks make you a professional?
Does not wanting the timing of your tracks to get messed up because you inserted an EQ make you pro?
Does use for an automation trim make you a pro?
Does a tape saturation emulator make you a pro??????

Digi/Avid need to STOP trying to be the arbiter of what DAW feature is "professional" and what isn't. Just make Pro Tools deliver the very best performance and value you can on as much hardware as is reasonably possible to support and let the market decide what get's produced with it. Stop gouging people 9 ways to sunday just for ONE feature not everyone needs--low latency when tracking with a bunch of plug-ins.

On top of that, the idea that Pro Tools was always a professional product is fiction. When it first came out it was pretty much useless in a "professional" setting. We were locking up 24-track Studers at the time and a few tracks of digital audio in a computer was just a neat little novelty. Only slowly over time did any DAWs get included in professional workflows. And why is that? For 100% PRACTICAL reasons, and not because it was decreed by Digi. The reason Pro Tools became the industry standard is largely due to first mover advantage and no small amount of dumb luck anyway.

But most importantly, the MARKET USE of the product based on practical solutions to real-world work situations and over time is what eventually marked Pro Tools a professional-level product--not a decree sent down from above by Digi/Avid.

I love Pro Tools and will use it as long as it's justifiable to do so, but I hope Avid will change course, sell stuff at more competitive prices and stop trying to dictate the market.
Old 28th March 2014
  #321
Deleted User
Guest
This email from Avid came today:

Las Vegas Convention Center | April 7–10
Avid @ NAB 2014
Special Guests, Announcements, and More
Excitement is building for NAB 2014, as we prepare for game-changing announcements that will make Avid Everywhere—our vision for the media industry—a reality today.

Visit us at booth #SU902 to hear exciting news, experience one-on-one demos, and test-drive the latest gear. Plus see live presentations from leading professionals, including Mark Sanger — the Academy Award Winner for Best Film Editing on Gravity.
Old 28th March 2014
  #322
Gear Head
 
louieshowers's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
This email from Avid came today:

Las Vegas Convention Center | April 7–10
Avid @ NAB 2014
Special Guests, Announcements, and More
Excitement is building for NAB 2014, as we prepare for game-changing announcements that will make Avid Everywhere—our vision for the media industry—a reality today.

Visit us at booth #SU902 to hear exciting news, experience one-on-one demos, and test-drive the latest gear. Plus see live presentations from leading professionals, including Mark Sanger — the Academy Award Winner for Best Film Editing on Gravity.
Thanks for the update... But I feel that they are in no position to keep people anticipating. This seems like another sales pitch, but we shall see. Thanks again for posting. Their promises hold as much weight as politicians' imho. But I hope they prove me wrong.
Old 29th March 2014
  #323
Deleted User
Guest
I'll be interested to see if its pie-in-the-sky stuff which detracts from Pro Tools development or if it's concrete, useful improvements to what they already have. I am also curious about how much sway Avid may have in shaping the industry, specifically the broadcasting industry which is the focus of NAB. As a lay observer, I will watch and learn.
1
Share
Old 29th March 2014
  #324
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

It's NAB it will be more video !
Old 29th March 2014
  #325
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
This email from Avid came today:

Las Vegas Convention Center | April 7–10
Avid @ NAB 2014
Special Guests, Announcements, and More
Excitement is building for NAB 2014, as we prepare for game-changing announcements that will make Avid Everywhere—our vision for the media industry—a reality today.

Visit us at booth #SU902 to hear exciting news, experience one-on-one demos, and test-drive the latest gear. Plus see live presentations from leading professionals, including Mark Sanger — the Academy Award Winner for Best Film Editing on Gravity.
I googled "Avid Everywhere" and got a link to this white paper about it:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...Everywhere.pdf

I swear on my life i'm not just trying to criticize and hate on Avid, but 95% of that paper is corporate-speak blabber that doesn't mean anything when you try to parse out exactly what they're trying to say. It's not even good corporate-speak. It's extremely repetitive and particularly obtuse. It's also devoid of almost any specifics whatsoever.

Sigh

The 2nd most distressing thing is their excessive use of the word "monetize". I think we've all experienced Avid's attempt to "monetize" their user base to death.

The most distressing thing about it is the fact that they're clearly using limited resources to develop things that, most likely, no Pro Tools user will care about. That might be fine if their plan sounded awesome and would likely eventually lead to PT development $$$ trickling down. But come on, if Avid is circling the bowl, that paper sounds like a script tailor made to accelerate the flush, no?

What do you all make of the article?

Edit:

It sounds like something a freshly-minted MBA grad cooked up while intoxicated
2
Share
Old 29th March 2014
  #326
Gear Maniac
 

Avid "Everywhere" Good lord. I think I can speak for most of us when I say all I want is a great DAW at a reasonable price.
2
Share
Old 29th March 2014
  #327
Gear Head
 
louieshowers's Avatar
 

I dont wanna jump the gun , but this statement alone almost indicates that they are still up to their old tricks..and sales pitches..

¨game changing....???¨ Hopefully that means no more games with customers..and accounting...

As for that article. I find it vague and arrogant. I also find it similar to the presentation will ferrell and his step brother made in the movie step brothers..ya know, this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0veaeu6rOqY

They sound and behave like a government agency..slow, and unwilling to acknowledge their blunders. its infuriating. I dont want flow charts and jargon..i want plans to stop price gouging, stop releasing troubled unfinished software, and give this presentation a human touch..i want to know that avid is actually human and alive..
Old 29th March 2014
  #328
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
I dont wanna jump the gun , but this statement alone almost indicates that they are still up to their old tricks..and sales pitches..

¨game changing....¨ Hopefully that means no more games with customers..and accounting...

As for that article. I find it vague and arrogant. I also find it similar to the presentation will ferrell and his step brother made in the movie step brothers..ya know, this:Entire Presentation and Boats N Hoes Music Video from Step Brothers - YouTube

They sound and behave like a government agency..slow, and unwilling to acknowledge their blunders. its infuriating.
I agree with all that!
1
Share
Old 29th March 2014
  #329
Gear Maniac
 

Reminds me of the Underpants Gnomes from Southpark



Might as well say "Create…?…Profit"

And I love how they're gonna handle digital rights management. Cuz no one with deep pockets has tried to figure that out yet.
1
Share
Old 29th March 2014
  #330
Lives for gear
 

I don't want anything game changing, I just want a refund.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump