The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
While I was away my home studio endured a 7 earthquake!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

While I was away my home studio endured a 7 earthquake!

Pretty much all my stuff survived including a ton of guitars on the walls thanks to Hercules locked mechanisms but my midi controller keyboard took a dive and now I can't change channels ....it sounds like I'm moaning but on the brite side that was the only real injury ....a lot of people in the Philippines lost their homes and their lives! I should thank my lucky stars ....quite stressful opening the door on my studio when I returned...I didn't know what to expect..next time I go away I'm going to make sure everything is tied down good and proper.
Old 23rd October 2013
You were very fortunate indeed! If you have decent insurance, you might be able to put in a claim for a replacement midi controller!

Do you have to get the building checked for structural integrity?
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Lucky! While I was away in July this year there was a 6.5 were I live. My studio was pretty much fine, with only a couple of guitars falling off stands and my monitors fell onto the mixing console. But same thing... opening the door and not knowing what I would find. The only damage was a chipped knob on the console.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post
Pretty much all my stuff survived including a ton of guitars on the walls thanks to Hercules locked mechanisms but my midi controller keyboard took a dive and now I can't change channels ....it sounds like I'm moaning but on the brite side that was the only real injury ....a lot of people in the Philippines lost their homes and their lives! I should thank my lucky stars ....quite stressful opening the door on my studio when I returned...I didn't know what to expect..next time I go away I'm going to make sure everything is tied down good and proper.
I'm glad your losses were minimal!

You're absolutely right that you should be counting your blessings. And light a candle (say a little prayer, meditation, hold a positive thought, whatever) for those who were not so fortunate.

Some years ago a good friend of mine was living in a beautiful little canyon in the hills above Santa Cruz, California. He was awakened in the middle of the night by a frantic neighbor who said he'd just heard that a dam had broken and a wall of water was rushing down the canyon. There was no time to even put on shoes, he grabbed his car keys and raced out of the canyon behind his friend and only minutes ahead of the flood.

It was a couple of days before they would let anyone back into the canyon and he hoped his books and records and his artwork would be safe because they were mostly well up off the floor.

But he remebered his beloved dreadnaught guitar had been in its hardshell wood case on the floor as he left. He figured it was good as gone.

When he opened the door to his tiny house, water came flooding out. There was still about 2-1/2 feet of water in the main living area, which was lower.

The guitar, in its case, was floating in the middle of it. Fighting back hope, he waded in and retrieved it, took it outside and trepidatiously opened it up. He could feel some dampness in the fleecy lining but the guitar itself was dry and survived like a champ.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
The guitar, in its case, was floating in the middle of it. Fighting back hope, he waded in and retrieved it, took it outside and trepidatiously opened it up. He could feel some dampness in the fleecy lining but the guitar itself was dry and survived like a champ.
so when the guy at the music store tries to upsell you the hardshell case on that new guitar....
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I'm glad your losses were minimal!

You're absolutely right that you should be counting your blessings. And light a candle (say a little prayer, meditation, hold a positive thought, whatever) for those who were not so fortunate.

Some years ago a good friend of mine was living in a beautiful little canyon in the hills above Santa Cruz, California. He was awakened in the middle of the night by a frantic neighbor who said he'd just heard that a dam had broken and a wall of water was rushing down the canyon. There was no time to even put on shoes, he grabbed his car keys and raced out of the canyon behind his friend and only minutes ahead of the flood.

It was a couple of days before they would let anyone back into the canyon and he hoped his books and records and his artwork would be safe because they were mostly well up off the floor.

But he remebered his beloved dreadnaught guitar had been in its hardshell wood case on the floor as he left. He figured it was good as gone.

When he opened the door to his tiny house, water came flooding out. There was still about 2-1/2 feet of water in the main living area, which was lower.

Awesome
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

'Yall give me wings
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search