The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPEAKON are pain in my butt
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

SPEAKON are pain in my butt

So here's my whine. Being a live engineer and owning 3 road ready largish touring PA systems I am no stranger audio connections.
I'm bout to the end of my cable with these connectors. My number one complaint is why do they make them so darn hard to remove?
I like the old speakons with the twisting collar. But the new ones. The nl4fcs my feeble old hands can't get a good grip on those little tabs. Some times I can't get it off at all so I just break it off.
I would pay someone 100 dollars to invent a key to make working those stupid tabs easier.

2nd those stupid tabs again. They break off. Making the unit worthless. And those aren't cheap to replace!

3rd complaint. Wiring them up. I guess your supposed to be able wrestle 12g wire into those stupid slots. I can't. I need like 4 hands to assemble one.

I HAVE to use speakon cause that's the standard anymore. I've had my fair share of riders that demand all nuetrik speakon ends.
Plus nothing looks more professional that 1/4 inch ts plugs. Hahaha.

Now I done complaining I'm gonna go drink some Jack and work on some more cables.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Wasn't nothing wrong with banana jacks in my book...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm just sayin'...

Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

"For amplifiers, the most popular termination device on professional products has
been the dual banana (which incidentally was pioneered by Crown with the DC300
model). However, recent regulatory requirements in Europe have outlawed the use
of the dual banana plug and forced users to terminate speaker cables with spade
lugs or bare ends—"

Gotta love the government!

Source: http://www.n4tze.com/speakonconnectorwiring.pdf
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

If Speakon is a "pain in your butt," I'd suggest something much smaller. 1/4" should be much less painful I would imagine.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

I would love 1/4 inch or banana jacks. But as I said before so many riders require speakon plugs. I know it's silly but this stuff keeps generic brand white bread on my table
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you're having this much trouble, you're either using crappy knock off connectors or you're doing something seriously wrong.

And if you think 1/4" connectors are better - damn, I don't know what to tell you. That's like saying that Rosie O'Donnel is hotter than Selma Hayek.

-Dan.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

I only use genuine. I really don't prefer 1/4 inch I just like its easy.
The way my hands are makes it very difficult to grip the tabs. As for tabs breaking off. I dunno. For the record Rosie is a fine looking woman.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search