The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who the heck is...
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Who the heck is...

I'm recording a new project in a few weeks. Since I got NO information about anything other than when to show up for an 8 hour session, I started digging.

I find the artist on The Facebooks and email him. His mother emails me back, what with him being a minor (no chord jokes, please), and answers my questions about gear and setups and stuff. (She also mentioned the color of the drums, which was kind of cute.)

Anyway, it comes down to the big questions:

1. How many songs are you planning on recording?
2. What's the end result you're hoping for? (demo, album, promo... whatever)
3. Who is producing?

Are you ready?

1. Eight.

2. An album.

3. (ahem) "In conjunction with <name omitted because if they pull this kind of crap they'll probably sue the pants off me for even mentioning their name> Records."

EXCUSE ME?

An 8 song album in 8 hours? Ok, maybe- I've done it before (with a KILLER band and me at the helm).

But just who THE HELL is "In Conjunction With So-and-So Records?"

Why can't I find out who this is? How am I supposed to record and mix an 8 song album in 8 hours if I can't even TALK to the "producer"?

And no, it's not a major label.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

oh man thats not even possible.
Old 19th October 2013
You'll probably get better results conducting business via phone or in person whenever possible. Personally, I wouldn't agree to do a job if I didn't fully understand all the details. Educate your client if you need to, or just tell them "Have the producer give me a call and we'll get it worked out..." If #3 means that your contact is the producer, then I don't understand what your beef is. The word 'conjunction'? Who cares what they wanna call it?
Old 19th October 2013
Remember the Archies cartoons and comics where they'd be in "the studio" and record everything live off the floor and it would be an instant hit?

Or reruns of old TV shows like The Monkees and The Partridge Family? Same thing...

Maybe "mom" watched that stuff and that's how she thinks the band will do it. Note perfect, flawless, all instruments and vocals at once without a single hitch...no doubt, all to be fixed with studio magic (which takes no time and costs nothing).

Or maybe "So and So Records" has the same kind of fantasy.

Or maybe you can record the band over the telephone and fix it in the mix? LOL

Last edited by Ward Pike; 19th October 2013 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks for the input, guys.

My main gripe is actually that I can't get an actual name of a producer. The "record" company is waaaayy sketchy; they advertise a physical recording studio (which isn't ours), a guaranteed number of plays on internet radio stations, free post-production and a number of other things which certainly sound like a scam.

Should I talk to the artist's parents? If they're involved with this character, they obviously don't have a clue as to what they're doing.

I understand going behind the back of a client (the "record company" is paying for the studio time) is No-No 101; heck, even talking the smack I'm talking WITHOUT MENTIONING THE COMPANY'S NAME should bench me for the foreseeable future. The thing is- if it were MY kid, I'd want to know. I'm too old to look the other way when a person is getting screwed.

I also wouldn't let my kid join in the music biz without a business degree... but I digress.

Last edited by mobaudio; 19th October 2013 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: covering my butt
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

And DaveE,

I think you are right about the phone contact. I'm going to try that.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaudio View Post
Thanks for the input, guys.

My main gripe is actually that I can't get an actual name of a producer. The "record" company is waaaayy sketchy; they advertise a physical recording studio (which isn't ours), a guaranteed number of plays on internet radio stations, free post-production and a number of other things which certainly sound like a scam.

Should I talk to the artist's parents? If they're involved with this character, they obviously don't have a clue as to what they're doing.

I understand going behind the back of a client (the "record company" is paying for the studio time) is No-No 101; heck, even talking the smack I'm talking WITHOUT MENTIONING THE COMPANY'S NAME should bench me for the foreseeable future. The thing is- if it were MY kid, I'd want to know. I'm too old to look the other way when a person is getting screwed.

I also wouldn't let my kid join in the music biz without a business degree... but I digress.
Speak to SOMEONE - otherwise there's a very real chance you'll be doing 8 hours of teeth pulling work only to be stiffed at the end. At the very least get payment before you even turn up!

Obviously what they want is completely unrealistic (speaking as someone who's just spent 12hrs tracking an experienced drummer on 5 songs - and has barely listened to the rest of the band!). They need to know that before you start - or they're not going to want to pay when they don't get what they expect!
Old 20th October 2013
I handle a phone conversation like this at least a dozen times a month in my market. It's not just moms. Bands and kids market think that this is how it's done. I am also starting to believe that people truly believe whatever they play no matter how bad, if recorded through the SSL it will be on time and in tune. I don't know why they think this but they do.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carson View Post
I handle a phone conversation like this at least a dozen times a month in my market. It's not just moms. Bands and kids market think that this is how it's done. I am also starting to believe that people truly believe whatever they play no matter how bad, if recorded through the SSL it will be on time and in tune. I don't know why they think this but they do.
I suspect Ward's got a point: blame it on the Monkees and Archies and all those fantasy portrayals of musicians in kiddie media.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

So who contact you about the gig? Let them know that there's prep work that you have to do, and need information. Ask them your questions. They'll answer or not. Make sure you get paid up-front, do your best for 8 hours, and let it go at that.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

I still haven't found out who's "producing". I'm not too worried about getting things tracked in the time allotted, as long as we can actually record and don't do click tracks and headphone mixes.

Getting it MIXED, however...

The thing is, I don't even know if they wanted to use ME because of how I work (very live-ish) or just want the studio (super vibe). If I don't get to talk to someone soon, I'll be handing the project off to another guy.

Which would suck because when I heard the band I thought "I'm the guy to make this record".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 23rd October 2013
Oh just remember something to add to this "hot mess"!!

You would not believe the number of groups and artists who ask me "So, all the set-up is included free of charge, right? You know we'll set-up all our gear and you set up the mics and do the sound-check and get all the levels and that and THEN we'll start recording. We should be able to knock off the full album in about 12 hours."
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Which would suck because when I heard the band I thought "I'm the guy to make this record".
- Edit.

I see what you are saying! - I just misread it.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

I still don't get what's going on here. Someone must have contacted you about the gig. Who do you think is going to pay you? Don't you have their phone #?
Old 23rd October 2013
Alot of people are using telepathy, these days, to avoid the hassle of phone #'s.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Alot of people are using telepathy, these days, to avoid the hassle of phone #'s.
As an added advantage, it also keeps your "friends" list from getting hacked.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

This sounds an awful LOT like one of the dozens of "promotion" companies my son's band keeps getting pitched by. The basic "guarantees" offered are:

Pay us a flat fee monthly (the fees/services offered vary) ranging from $200- $2k per month.

In return we guarantee:

A promo campaign and your song released on a compilation disc sent to the top 100 stations in your band genre, plus follow up calls.

A professionally produced album guaranteed to be competitive with the bands already making it big in your genre.

Touring spots with your heroes.

And any number of other foolish claims.

So, business as usual, from a different angle. With a heavy emphasis on, of course, social media.

Hucksters for the modern era. If this is one of those outfits, get your money upfront, and make damn sure they clear out of your place in 8 hours or pay immediately for the extra time/services.

Everything I have heard about your situation and what my son has encountered makes me scream RUN! from this "deal". But I know how tough things are out there right now. All I can suggest, if you take it, is to make sure you let the rest of us know how it goes. I could be totally wrong, but there are a LOT of red flags flying right now.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

I finally got a hold of the producer.

Pretty standard stuff, it turns out. He'll be recording vocals and mixing at his place; he just wanted to track live in our big room.

So, a lot of gnashing of teeth over not much. :/

LFlood-

It sounds like you found their flier as well

Less bitching from me from now on. That's a promise.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
As an added advantage, it also keeps your "friends" list from getting hacked.
You think so, huh....?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
3. (ahem) "In conjunction with <name omitted because if they pull this kind of crap they'll probably sue the pants off me for even mentioning their name> Records."
I heard about a studio owner who ran a small project studio who got a call from some dude wanting some kind of deferred billing, claiming that his product was for "Sony Records".

The studio owner said "oh that's perfect, because we are a Sony-affiliated studio. Just give me your Sony ID number and we'll set you right up". heh
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I heard about a studio owner who ran a small project studio who got a call from some dude wanting some kind of deferred billing, claiming that his product was for "Sony Records".

The studio owner said "oh that's perfect, because we are a Sony-affiliated studio. Just give me your Sony ID number and we'll set you right up". heh
Brilliant! I have never had such an occasion, but now I know EXACTLY how I will handle such an event. "No problem! Give me your Sony Authorization Code and the name of your Sony Rep. I'll give them a call and we can get scheduled right away!"

Perfect!
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have seriously come to the conclusion that the reason people are so very "Busy" these days is the secret hours they squirrel away on the internet and on iPhones, iPad's Texts and i-Can't be bothered to keep a dedicated phone number and/or answer my voicemail types! If I don't know you, had no history or any sort of reference from another. No 30 day accounts, no Cheques and no Visa Debit Cards.

Only Pay-Pal, Cash or Direct deposit & Visa/MasterCard I can see go through. Amex is 2.5% extra.
Simple as that when your running a business.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search