The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Finally burned through all the synths I can afford.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Finally burned through all the synths I can afford.

A pathetic, money moan.

Now that I'm over 50 and can afford the old synths I always lusted after, I've finally plowed through all the ones I ever wanted. Almost.

Everything that's left is high-end and outside my price pain point. In no particular order...

CS-80
Jupiter-8
MemoryMoog
Waldorf Wave
Synthex
OBX

Was looking at eBay at the MemoryMoog today. A year or two ago they were going for around $5000 which is still too much, but now $8000 is the asking price.
Old 15th October 2013
Classic quality keyboard instruments are no longer regarded as just old or out of fashion, now they are being valued for the musical instruments they are.

I too am unhappy with the tremendous rise in cost, but am heartened with the perceived value of quality increasing.
Old 15th October 2013
You've got a real wish-list there, brotha.

No doubt that we've hit a point where the best of the vintage gear is so sought-after, that it's no longer affordable for a working musician, but instead only to collectors and once that happened, the speculators came in. The same thing happened with vintage guitars through the 90s and the market finally collapsed with the housing crisis. It always broke my heart knowing how many great 60s strats were stuck on the wall of some rich lawyer's house, never being played while Fender's quality kept dropping on their new offerings.

The best you can hope for at this point are re-issues and new equipment. Korg really did something great re-issuing the MS-20 with the original circuit and adding one exceptionally useful feature (MIDI) all at a price tag of less than 1/3rd of the vintage examples for a new price.

Moog is going pretty strong, I wouldn't be surprised if their next flagship offering is a poly. If it's a flagship product, it'll probably be as featured as a CS-80. As for Oberheim, forget it, Gibson killed the brand a long time ago and I talked to the sales manager for the mid west, they don't really have plans to revive it as far as he knew.

Waldorf's Wave is digital, it could be totally re-created in software form and controlled with a midi controller. That's probably the closest you'll get there.

I've never understood the rabid fandom of the Jupiter-8, but that's just me.

Also, as Korg, Moog, Arturia, Novation et al begin to build new analog synths, you'll see an increase in the parts. You could potentially build a CS-80 clone with the schematic and some time. The components are cheaper than you think unless you're hardcore about NOS.
Old 4th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
Was looking at eBay at the MemoryMoog today. A year or two ago they were going for around $5000 which is still too much, but now $8000 is the asking price.
people can ask any price on ebay, doesn't mean they will sell. 4-5K is still the going rate for memorymoogs. A year ago 3.5-4.5K. things haven't gone up that much.

there are items that have been on ebay 2+ years and haven't sold. eg. the "mint memorymoog plus 18vco".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search