The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BEHRINGER - Why the hate?
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Maniac

BEHRINGER - Why the hate?

I've never had any luck with anything from these guys, but I'd like to hear YOUR horror stories and why you may dislike them.

Go.

Old 27th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Yeah... I had a small behringer mixer and very much feedback problems in our room. So I bought a Behringer 31 Band EQ and the Feedback was gone but there were another problems like sound quality and noise. So I bought a small soundcraft mixer and it was better. Now I have a BIG A&H Mixer and ... sound is very nice and of feedback is gone without EQ. Never thought that a bad Mixer can make problems... And we had an automatic feedback destroyer... He destroyed everything...
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Maniac

I bought a condenser and pair of speakers, worst purchase ever. The speakers were so bass enhanced there was no other frequencies getting through, was total compensation for poor mids and tweets. The condenser...ehm yeah, you can work out how that sounded
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear
I don't hate behringer exactly but there's something sleazy about the company. They make exact copies of other people's designs and products. For example, mackie makes a "personal monitor," the srm 150, that i use for ight duty gigs. Behringer cmae out with a virtually exact copy at a year later. There are dozens of examples where not just the basic idea, but the specific layout of jacks and buttons is an exact copy of somebody else's product. As I understand it they have been sued for this multiple times, and that's why some of their products, like the v-verb, suddenly disappear
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

bcr2000 - ive heard success stories. Mine was not one of them
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear
It takes a lot of work to build a bad reputation.

But once you have a bad reputation, it's very easy to keep it.

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Why the hate?

Because it's the Internet...

I've got one of their rack mixers and a headphone amp that have both worked perfectly fine for years. Nothing wrong with them.
I did early on buy one of their compressors and quickly tossed it in the closet.

Cheap gear is cheap gear. If it works, fine. If not, go on.
No different than cheap cars that break down all the time.
(When I was young my brother-in-law raved about his Chevy Vegas but he went through 8 of them melting down on him all the time..)
Old 27th August 2013
All of my Behringer stuff has worked flawlessly; I defy anyone to "hear the Behringer" in my recorded work and tell me what gear I am using.

No hate here.
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear
BTW...

I have a Behringer ADA8000 that sounds just fine for my synths. I haven't tried it with any vocals. I only had a DDX3216 mixer for a few weeks (handed down to me). I sold it b/c it's far from straight forward using it alongside my DAW (seemed close to impossible without doing some heavy duty programming and mapping).... but it actually sounded great. The digital effects very nice.

Not that I've compared the mixer to a higher end mixer.... but I didn't feel like I was lacking at all, and if i kept it, i could've made nice music with it.

But again... reputations arise for a reason
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Maniac

I forgot to say. I usw the ecm mic and think its okay. Every day I see one more companies which use the x32. Maybe behringer want to change the quality of their products.
On The otherside... I hate their new interface which looks like rme ff stuff....
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Das I der confuses me. Heard good things about x32 as well. No good evperience with them, two boards with constant problems
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Only Behringer I ever owned was a small mixer I bought new without testing. It was so noisy I actually felt ashamed when I sold it off for pennies.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Maniac

I've heard that their mixers usually look great on paper, but are REALLY loud wreck the quality of anything you plug into them. The "digital build in compressor" was basically a gain knob
Old 28th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty999 View Post
I've heard that their mixers usually look great on paper, but are REALLY loud wreck the quality of anything you plug into them. The "digital build in compressor" was basically a gain knob
The problem with this statement is that you heard (your words) only and haven't offered any actual personal experience.
Old 28th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
I don't hate behringer exactly but there's something sleazy about the company. They make exact copies of other people's designs and products. For example, mackie makes a "personal monitor," the srm 150, that i use for ight duty gigs. Behringer cmae out with a virtually exact copy at a year later. There are dozens of examples where not just the basic idea, but the specific layout of jacks and buttons is an exact copy of somebody else's product. As I understand it they have been sued for this multiple times, and that's why some of their products, like the v-verb, suddenly disappear
I was at Mackie distributor's get together. They had a Mackie 24 by 8 by 2 mixer on the wall with the bottom off. Next to it was a Behringer copy, also with the bottom off. Inside the two looked identical down to the IC, resistors and caps board placement numbers. All Behringer had done was to exactly copy the Mackie board and put it in a different case. There are lots of other products that are a directly copy of someone else's work. Not a good way to work IMHO but it made them a sh!tload of money.

Now Behringer has introduced the X-32 which is a ground breaking console for an amazing price. It is too bad that for years they just copied other people's work when they could have been making their own equipment.

I have never been there but I have been told that Behringer has a plant in China that covers one whole city block.

Maybe they finally saw the light.

FWIW and YMMV
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear
Yeah, the should have been copying neve, urie, pultec, Neumann, and api.
Then they would be the darlings of gearslutz.

We like those clones to be exact.

Silly rabbits.

D
Old 28th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
... All Behringer had done was to exactly copy the Mackie board and ....
That right there proves something-or-other, it's like Donovan copying Tiny Tim.
Old 28th August 2013
Here for the gear

You know I hate how people jump on Behringer and complain how it's not as good as a similar product from Mackie or A&H, SSL and so on. I mean cmon you pay less so you gotta be content with what you get. If Behringer did have a competitor who put out better products for the same price as behringer then i'd understand that... but there isn't.

So yeah all that aside, I think Behringer is now trying hard to put it's reputation up.

I myself have had a headphone mixer and a small Xenyx mixer for a few years already and they're working all fine. For the price I payed, I'm more than satisfied really!

By the way my behringer mixer was once plugged to a 220v wallwart (mine is 110v, this happened in Europe) and it lit all the lights on the mixer, then died. I repaired the power supply and it worked as good as new.

No hate for Behringer here either
Old 28th August 2013
I only ever had one Behringer thing and it was a bass EQ pedal. The thing had a ton of noise in it and honestly it was no good for shaping a bass tone.
Old 28th August 2013
Behringer stuff ranges from usable to terrible.

Every time I've tried one of the guitar pedals, I had to cringe. They may be using the same schematic, but they're definitely using inferior components or something. The pedals fed back really badly and when they worked, were pretty lame compared to their original model.

I used to run sound for a bar that used a Behringer Eurodesk. They are absolutely noisy compared to the Mackie boards they're ripping off. I'm not sure what happened if they're doing exact copies, but there's something. Also, the thing had a bunch of channels die out. It may be a copy but the QC and build quality are definitely different.

I've seen behringer amps blow up at gigs inexplicably. These were relatively new amps that hadn't been beaten to death. The first time it was an unfortunate event, the second time, I began to not trust anything with a Behringer power amp. When they worked, they were pretty crummy sounding. They went from mud to ice pick, not much in between. Because of this, I wouldn't trust the reliability of their studio monitors (and I can't imagine they sound great)

I can't speak for the mics, never used them.

I've had good luck with their little grey DI box. It doesn't color the sound all that much but it's actually not the cheapest option as there are other DI options from whirlwind etc for the same price point.

The two pieces of Behringer gear that I have owned and found useful are the ADA8000. The preamps are "meh" but tolerable. I've never had an issue with mine but my buddy's had issues with his mis-routing channels for some reason. Once again, reliability becomes a question.

I also had a pair of BCF2000s which the documentation was terrible but I was able to make work like a HUI setup and talk with my rig pretty well. I got rid of them when I put in an analog desk, but those served me well.

I think Behringer's goal is pretty admirable which is to make inexpensive equipment to further democratize music. If you can make a record with all Behringer gear, more power to you. Unfortunately, the way they make all of that money is to spend all of their R&D budget reverse-engineering other people's designs. I wouldn't call them "innovative."

Also, that x32 board looks suspiciously like the Presonus digital board. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

I've owned only three pieces of Behringer gear - an Autocom compressor, which I bought for $50 about fifteen years ago; a Powerplay Pro-8 headphone amp, which I bought over a year ago; and a graphic EQ (can't recall the model) which I bought nearly ten years ago. I still own them all, and they all still work. I don't use the compressor anymore, but it never sounded bad - I used it on quite a few recordings over the years, and it achieved the desired effect. The EQ and headphone amp are also completely useable - No hate here.

I should mention that these units have always been kept in a rack, and have only seen occasional use - that said, I've gotten lots of use out of all three of these units. If I were running a pro studio, or If I were a pro sound man, I would opt for higher quality gear. But as it stands, my ear isn't sharp enough to hear a significant degradation of sound when I run a signal through my Behringer units. These days however, I prefer to not have any Behringer gear in my recording chain - at least on the front end.

I have tons of gear, and I've always looked down my nose at Behringer, and for the most part, I've tended to avoid their products, but the three pieces that I've had seem pretty solid, and I've never had a problem with them. Maybe I just got lucky...
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Guru

I don't hate, but I do like stuff that last and last.
Old 30th August 2013
Here for the gear

knock offs made in a sweat shop with cheaper parts. If you get lucky you might get one in good working condition...for a little.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Maniac

The best thing that Behringer ever made was that REV2496 V-Verb reverb. It does have some design and quality control problems though. It sounds amazing. I wonder who they ripped off for that one? Probably TC Electronic...
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
All of my Behringer stuff has worked flawlessly; I defy anyone to "hear the Behringer" in my recorded work and tell me what gear I am using.

No hate here.
Dear ivmike,

Excellent point, I could not agree more.

I thought I would share links to a few other pros who are also getting excellent results with BEHRINGER gear:

http://digitaldj.files.wordpress.com...ft_pyramid.jpg
Daft Punk

'Classic' Doctor Who Medley - Doctor Who Prom - BBC Proms 2013 - Radio 3 - YouTube
BBC - Radiophonic Workshop - See BEHRINGER X32 at :31 in video

Live Sound: West Hollywood’s Whisky A Go-Go Installs Behringer X32s - Pro Sound Web
Whiskey A Go Go

Doug Wimbish of Living Colour tells us his X32 experience - YouTube
Living Colour

Leonard Contreras (Coal Chamber) tells us his X32 experience - YouTube
Coal Chamber

Nick Joyce - former Miles Davis' engineer, after using an X32 at this years Litchfield Jazz Festival:
"I, like others, I had the preconceived notion on Behringer products, and I*wanted to hate this desk. I tried to hate, it, tried to find flaws, waited for the failures... and they never came, the X32 just kept getting better and better. Now, I am a total believer, this desk is changing the digital console industry forever. I cannot wait to see what's next from Behringer in the digital console market."

You many also want to read a post I made which addresses upgrades to our factory, our 3-Year Warranty Program, and many positive changes MUSIC Group has made to improve our products.

Getting the x32
See Post #45

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
Old 31st August 2013
Deleted User #43636
I've owned an Autocom, a Composer, a patchbay and a headphones amp from Behringer. All worked as advertised and still do, although I'm not using them anymore. The headphones amp get noisier as the channel used is closer to the mains tranformer, that's the only issue I've had...
The compressors have very little noise and are effective. They dont sound great but dont destroy the signal.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Behringer is in a tough spot. We all want gear that lasts forever, can be tossed around like a sack of potatoes, specs and sounds amazing, and is, if not free, well, close to it. How realistic is that?

They have to balance between impossibles. In the past they have made some decisions that compromised on the wrong things, and they have also underestimated the customers' ears. I think they've learned a lot and you're in for some surprises. Those of you who paid through the nose for sniffing the high end labels aren't going to readily admit it, but with today's technology, great gear doesn't have to be THAT expensive. Nobody owns common sense designs or better engineering, and the Chinese production lines have improved too. You can't have EVERYTHING, but you can have what matters. On a snare drum, it might matter, but do you need ALL your gear to be gorilla-proof? Isn't how it performs with reasonable care more important?

I have a Behringer mixer, a little tabletop unit, and it's never failed in 10 years, sounds fine. Not the most amazing preamps, but adequate, I don't toss it around, and since I paid around $50, I'm very happy. If it really mattered where I use it, I'd open it up and swap out the gain stage op amps for bipolars and replace the carbon resistors with metal films. But it wasn't that critical. Meanwhile I've watched Behringer preamps get redesigned, first garden variety op amps, then Xenix, now Midas.

At this point (2013) a large number of people is in the throes of upgrading to 64 bit OS and DAW, looking for the perfect little desktop I/O box: one that runs in Windows or Osx with low latency, has Firewire and USB connectivity, has great sounding pre-amps, line and Hi-Z inputs, phantom power, just enough balanced ins and balanced outs, optical and coax I/O for clock or expansion, quiet and not radiating noise from the computer, and cheap, around $200-250. If anyone can do THAT well, they will have an enviable foothold for years to come.

It's clear that Behringer understood the stakes, and pulled their FCA610/1616 from production last year to redesign the circuitry, especially the preamps.

Nobody has found the features or the sound on the X32 mixers wanting. Guess what, I think Begringer has done it again. I had a disappointing experience with the Focusrite 2i4. I found it very short on features, a conduit for digital noise and with a dismal Windows driver. This week I'm running the FCA610 through its paces on both PC Cubase and Mac Logic X, and will have a complete review soon. The weakest spot so far is the documentation. I can live with that
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
Behringer is in a tough spot. We all want gear that lasts forever, can be tossed around like a sack of potatoes, specs and sounds amazing, and is, if not free, well, close to it. How realistic is that?

They have to balance between impossibles. In the past they have made some decisions that compromised on the wrong things, and they have also underestimated the customers' ears. I think they've learned a lot and you're in for some surprises. Those of you who paid through the nose for sniffing the high end labels aren't going to readily admit it, but with today's technology, great gear doesn't have to be THAT expensive. Nobody owns common sense designs or better engineering, and the Chinese production lines have improved too. You can't have EVERYTHING, but you can have what matters. On a snare drum, it might matter, but do you need ALL your gear to be gorilla-proof? Isn't how it performs with reasonable care more important?

I have a Behringer mixer, a little tabletop unit, and it's never failed in 10 years, sounds fine. Not the most amazing preamps, but adequate, I don't toss it around, and since I paid around $50, I'm very happy. If it really mattered where I use it, I'd open it up and swap out the gain stage op amps for bipolars and replace the carbon resistors with metal films. But it wasn't that critical. Meanwhile I've watched Behringer preamps get redesigned, first garden variety op amps, then Xenix, now Midas.

At this point (2013) a large number of people is in the throes of upgrading to 64 bit OS and DAW, looking for the perfect little desktop I/O box: one that runs in Windows or Osx with low latency, has Firewire and USB connectivity, has great sounding pre-amps, line and Hi-Z inputs, phantom power, just enough balanced ins and balanced outs, optical and coax I/O for clock or expansion, quiet and not radiating noise from the computer, and cheap, around $200-250. If anyone can do THAT well, they will have an enviable foothold for years to come.

It's clear that Behringer understood the stakes, and pulled their FCA610/1616 from production last year to redesign the circuitry, especially the preamps.

Nobody has found the features or the sound on the X32 mixers wanting. Guess what, I think Begringer has done it again. I had a disappointing experience with the Focusrite 2i4. I found it very short on features, a conduit for digital noise and with a dismal Windows driver. This week I'm running the FCA610 through its paces on both PC Cubase and Mac Logic X, and will have a complete review soon. The weakest spot so far is the documentation. I can live with that
Fernand, how do you like the converters on the FCA610? I'm about to order a Steinberg UR28M.. but I have a gut feeling that the Behringer FCA610 will be much better overall than the Steinberg..

Sometime ago I owned a NI Komplete Audio 6.. this unit had no reviews or whatsover.. I bought it almost blindly and when I tried it was great! Very low latency, great pristine sound.. I'm thinking I will have the same experience with the FCA610.. I just need a little push.. an opinion

I have been stalking the forum for a single opinion on this audio interface and I was wondering if you could recomment it.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

I once had a cheap Behringer 8-channel mixer for keyboard use, expected it to die but it was cheap. And yes it died two years later, during a gig of course. Don't expect long lifetime with Behringer products, there's a reason they are cheap *).

Cheap components, cheap assembly, cheap Q&A, cheap R&D.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

My church has Behringer b-5 & c-1 condenser mics for small choral use along with instrumental mic'ing.

For a tight budget, it won't be a u87 or a km184 but gets the job done with passable sound quality.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search