The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's the difference between a G chord and an A chord???
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Does it mean that F Major is the saddest major key, given it shares the same notes as D minor?

Or is it the happiest, given the minor-major ying yang thing?

Or would D minor/F Major be more aligned with the universe with A=432 tuning, thus be more exactly sad/happy, or should we be content with the vanilla 440?

I'm dying to know...
I think F major is just sympathising with D minor.
Old 9th July 2017
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I think F major is just sympathising with D minor.

I think Ursa Major is just sympathising with Major Tom!

Old 11th July 2017
Deleted User
Is this question serious?

If so, there is no difference between the two chords, however A-Major is one whole step (two semi tones) higher than G-Major. This may not seem like a big deal, but for a singer in example, it can be hard to get that high A, where as the high G will sound better. So for this singer it can be better to write the chord (or the composition) in G.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markuss View Post
Is this question serious?

If so, there is no difference between the two chords, however A-Major is one whole step (two semi tones) higher than G-Major. This may not seem like a big deal, but for a singer in example, it can be hard to get that high A, where as the high G will sound better. So for this singer it can be better to write the chord (or the composition) in G.
Deadly serious. If you really don't know the answer, your life may be in danger...

Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

I think Ursa Major is just sympathising with Major Tom!

David Bowie is probably doing it with Ursa Major as we speak...
Old 13th July 2017
Smile

Quote:

Old 13th July 2017
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Deadly serious. If you really don't know the answer, your life may be in danger...

Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hoping for a Minor Tom?
Old 15th February 2019
Talking

So nobody knows the answer?

....even here at Gearslutz?

Old 15th February 2019
Quote:

The difference would be that the lower G chord would be sounding a bit darker, however the higher fretted one would sound the same but be much brighter on sound. A Major chord consists of the root 3rd and fifth notes of the corresponding scale. Similarly,G Major consists of G(root),B(2nd) and D(5th),hence the shape.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Exactly 200 cents.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

My recent experience with the chords G and A:

I was just playing guitar with some folk guitarists who only use first position basic chords. They played beautifully, by the way, regarding sensitivity to intonation. I asked them about it.

I'm putting this in my own nerdy way. They said it more plainly.

To them a G chord has a unique sound based on the fact that there's a root at the top and bottom. (So does a first position E chord, but this thread is not about that chord, heh.) The major third (B) on the open second string of that G chord (pesky because it can so easily sound too sharp - well, it IS sharp in equal temperament anyway) is fixed sometimes by playing the second string pitch D (third fret) in the chord instead. The 5th string B isn't much of a problem. It's somewhat masked.

The A chord has the root in the bass (skilled folk guitarists will mute the open low E string - the 5th) and the 5th at the top. Having the 5th at the top gives a totally different sonority than the layout of the G chord. Also the fact that that 2nd string C# (major 3rd) can be pulled a bit towards the bridge to be more sweetly in tune.

I should mention we were tuned a little less than a half step below A440. So for those who have hardwired Hz tuning standards in their ear and terminology, please disregard the above.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

An omnibus is the difference, an omnibus.
Old 16th February 2019
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
The difference would be that the lower G chord would be sounding a bit darker, however the higher fretted one would sound the same but be much brighter on sound. A Major chord consists of the root 3rd and fifth notes of the corresponding scale. Similarly,G Major consists of G(root),B(2nd) and D(5th),hence the shape.

Haha! Awesome! I KNEW IT!!!!

(but nobody would listen...)

Old 16th February 2019
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
My recent experience with the chords G and A:

I was just playing guitar with some folk guitarists who only use first position basic chords. They played beautifully, by the way, regarding sensitivity to intonation. I asked them about it.

I'm putting this in my own nerdy way. They said it more plainly.

To them a G chord has a unique sound based on the fact that there's a root at the top and bottom. (So does a first position E chord, but this thread is not about that chord, heh.) The major third (B) on the open second string of that G chord (pesky because it can so easily sound too sharp - well, it IS sharp in equal temperament anyway) is fixed sometimes by playing the second string pitch D (third fret) in the chord instead. The 5th string B isn't much of a problem. It's somewhat masked.

The A chord has the root in the bass (skilled folk guitarists will mute the open low E string - the 5th) and the 5th at the top. Having the 5th at the top gives a totally different sonority than the layout of the G chord. Also the fact that that 2nd string C# (major 3rd) can be pulled a bit towards the bridge to be more sweetly in tune.

I should mention we were tuned a little less than a half step below A440. So for those who have hardwired Hz tuning standards in their ear and terminology, please disregard the above.

Great post! Spot on!

Old 16th February 2019
Quote:
Exactly 200 cents.

So you're saying this is your 200 cents?

Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

So are you saying my $.02 is a hundred times greater?
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

The difference between G and A weighing heavily on my mind for months now, I remember being a fan of Happy Days as a kid, and phonetically, Ralph Malph said G a lot and The Fonz said Aaaa

So G Major is Ralph Malph's hot rod accident and A Major is the Fonz jumping the shark?

Give me several more months and I'll be older, wiser
Old 10th May 2019
Quote:
So are you saying my $.02 is a hundred times greater?

Yes.

Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
The difference between G and A weighing heavily on my mind for months now, I remember being a fan of Happy Days as a kid, and phonetically, Ralph Malph said G a lot and The Fonz said Aaaa

So G Major is Ralph Malph's hot rod accident and A Major is the Fonz jumping the shark?

Give me several more months and I'll be older, wiser
Tommy Two Times from the Goodfellas would have said, "What's the difference between a G chord and an A chord, a G chord and an A chord?"
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

A jazz chord?

A jazz chord to say I ruv you.

Dave
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
A jazz chord?

A jazz chord to say I ruv you.

Dave
Ahh! Gee!
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Ahh! Gee!
I feel somewhat diminished.
Old 20th July 2019
Quote:

Noted.

Twice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search