The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why has #### sucked in the last 15 years?
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Why has #### sucked in the last 15 years?

Someone else wrote this on another site about Roland but I wondered what other people think about Roland's ineptness?

Roland,

I know the last time we parted ways it was messy. You wanted me to love you for the crystal clarity of your 16bit/44.1K samples and I was happier when you were grungier and less sophisticated. I know you tried to meet me halfway, and for a while I was onboard during your “Groove box” phase (I know, I can’t look at the pictures either). But let’s face it, you’ve been spinning your wheels since I left you. The last time I cared, you were in that sexy black number with the Super-Saw, but you still had the D-beams. You don’t need all that fake stuff.

Whenever I happen to see you in public, I hope that maybe you’ve gotten your act together. Maybe you’ve gone analog or you come up with some new style of synthesis. But I’m always disappointed. You’re still trying to impress the church music and home organ crowd.

When are you gonna realize you’re funkier than that? When are you gonna stop trying to please the P&W crowd and let your keys down? Let a few knobs show! Stop hiding behind your menus! Let me see that sexy bitch that could pack the club floors back in the 80s! Come on. It’s time.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Not this again...
Old 4th June 2013
Deleted User
I know the last time we parted ways it was messy. You wanted me to love you for the crystal clarity of your 16bit/44.1K samples and I was happier when you were grungier and less sophisticated. I

i was happier with the older sound of digital stuff also but they did a couple of nice machines - the vsynth and vp9000 but since then its all beyond me.I find the new sound just to processed and clean .I think these hardware developers are trying to sound like software synths !
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Not this again...
So it's not a sticky ?
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

They basically are software synths. When hardware synth needs multiple minutes to boot, something's been lost.
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Roland XV-5080 and 3080, V-Synth,V-Synth XT and V-Synth GT, Jupiter-80 and 50, Fantom X and Fantom G is really good synths!

Old 4th June 2013
Here for the gear

I always wonder why everyone complains about Roland and nobody brings up Yamaha. They have an equally storied pedigree when it comes making era-defining synths, and AFAIK all they put out now are workstation keyboards, with even less variety than Roland, yet I don't see anyone trying to force them back into old habits. What makes it any more likely Roland would re-visit the past than Yamaha (other than the former being more exclusively devoted to music products, of course)?
Old 4th June 2013
why does any company do what they do.?!

WHY!!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

$
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
They basically are software synths. When hardware synth needs multiple minutes to boot, something's been lost.
And what's up with analogs needing 10 minutes to warm up

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 4th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpseDixit View Post
I always wonder why everyone complains about Roland and nobody brings up Yamaha. They have an equally storied pedigree when it comes making era-defining synths, and AFAIK all they put out now are workstation keyboards, with even less variety than Roland, yet I don't see anyone trying to force them back into old habits. What makes it any more likely Roland would re-visit the past than Yamaha (other than the former being more exclusively devoted to music products, of course)?
Lol, this is true. I think Yamaha's boat is just too far to bring back and synth boutique consumers have just lost hope in Yamaha every doing any kind of analog re-issue. Digital pianos seem to be on the forefront here.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
And what's up with analogs needing 10 minutes to warm up

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
I'm not really comparing them to old analogs, which at least allow you to play them during their "warm-up" period, but older digital synths, like Roland's own 5080 or JV-1080.

They should really be focused on eliminating the boot period on current synths as that this was one of the biggest advantages that self-contained digital synths had over laptop/controller combos.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Looking at these products, I can't really say Roland sucks.

I take an awesome digital over a poorly designed analog any day.
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Addict

Why start a thread about Roland? It seems (from your sig) you only have one piece of Roland gear, a cheap(ish) JV1080. Why not be pissed at E-mu for selling out to Creative Labs, or Ensoniq going out of business, or Kurzweil selling to Young Chang, or Akai, etc. How 'bout a thread flaming Yamaha for abandoning FM & physical modeling! Just a thought...
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Alesis produced the Andromeda. Seen their website lately?
I had a Roland xv5050, a Nord Lead, and Blofeld for sale all at once.
The xv5050 had lots of interest and sold quickly for the price I wanted. The other two units took quite some time and I had to drop my prices a little.
At that point it occurred to me that lots of musicians like instruments other than synths.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Woah, but how do you disarm the hydrogen bomb to make sure it's safe to use? If inly John Mclaine was here.
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Addict

this thread should be moved to The Moan Zone... (or deleted altogether)
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

I got a Fantom S and a MV8000. Copping a VP 9000 this weekend. I like Roland
Old 5th June 2013
Old 5th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotwings View Post
this thread should be moved to The Moan Zone... (or deleted altogether)
I second that...
Old 5th June 2013
they might suck to you and a lot of us might agree, but they're definitely not sucking business wise or else they would have gone under years ago

I'm sure they're banking, they keep making massive workstations and selling them for mad money plus all the other equipment they sell

just cos they're not making analog synths anymore like most of us wish they were doesn't mean they suck, they're quite a respected company and I'm sure the direction they've taken is what's kept them in business

I'm sure they'll jump on the analog market eventually though, specially if Korg does well with the recent stuff they've put out
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

More importantly Dirtycircuit, why haven't you produced anything worth listening to for the past 15 years?
Old 5th June 2013
VSynth makes up for all their consumer stuff
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Addict

Yeah I adore my Roland V Synth XT! Still use my JV2080 for things too. I have a VP9000 that I bought new like 10 years ago and have no idea how to use it (but I won't sell it)!!
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Because they're appealing to performers, not primarily sound designers and people who make the bleep bloops.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Because they're appealing to performers, not primarily sound designers and people who make the bleep bloops.
Priceless
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Guru
I find the VP-550 and VP-770 to be very interesting and unique....

Still.. I don't own synths made in this century... Looks like I'm not alone.. and why I can only blame people like myself for companies failing or forced to play it safe.
Old 5th June 2013
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpseDixit View Post
i'm not sure i agree that Yamaha and Roland have identical pedigrees. the big era defining analog synth for Yamaha is the CS-80 but i doubt it could be reintroduced as a new synth today for less of a price than only a few could afford. Yamaha's contribution to analog was mainly a 70's thing and by '83 and onward they were selling FM synths while Roland kept the analog thing going a some time longer. The difference to me is that a lot of Roland analog gear is their best stuff and it seems after the D50 or at least by the late 80's they never looked back.

Also another difference between Yamaha and Roland is that Yamaha didn't have any analog drum machines like the TR-808 or the TR-909, both of which have created whole genres of music. You would think that Roland would notice this.
Old 5th June 2013
This "if only Roland would..." fantasy is starting to sound like some middle aged man becoming obsessed with his old high school sweetheart he hasn't seen in decades. Sounds romantic, but in real life it is just creepy.
Old 5th June 2013
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
This "if only Roland would..." fantasy is starting to sound like some middle aged man becoming obsessed with his old high school sweetheart he hasn't seen in decades. Sounds romantic, but in real life it is just creepy.
creepy? why do you think these people want to have sexual relations with their synthesizers??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search