The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why has #### sucked in the last 15 years?
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
creepy? why do you think these people want to have sexual relations with their synthesizers??
You haven't been on the internet for long enough, apparently.
Old 5th June 2013
Deleted be0c6fb
you know tjporter, it is creepy. only the weirdos driving vans with the windows blacked out, still obsessed with the highschool prom queen are the people who want synths like the Jupiter 4, Jupiter 8, SH-02, SH-101, Juno-60, TR-808, TR-909, JX-10, etc...

**** so if you want a TR-909 for less than $3500, you're a creep.
Old 5th June 2013
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
You haven't been on the internet for long enough, apparently.
apparently i've been on Gearslutz way too long tonight...
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube66 View Post
Roland XV-5080 and 3080, V-Synth,V-Synth XT and V-Synth GT, Jupiter-80 and 50, Fantom X and Fantom G is really good synths!

They are. BUT really all you need for good bread and butter is a JV 1080. Much of what came after (excepting the excellent jp8000) is just the JV 1080 on new (and granted, more elaborate) bottles.
Old 5th June 2013
well i for one prefer my roland synths to be classy, clean and sometimes i'm their first one ! you can have your sloppy seconds, thirds, fourths, etc that are dusty and dirty. i use the finest norwex fabrics to clean them like the day we first met in the show room

my fantom g8 has a head on her shoulders. she may not have many knobs and sliders but she has a nice round bottom. the deeper you go into her menus and the more you spend time with her the more interesting she becomes, unlike a synth that has everything laid out for everyone to see.

she can sample just over 2 hours and can dress up like the her older siblings but really she is a good girl, she likes church and stays away from the strip clubs and party scene. she can record whole songs, she gets along really well with my daw and her pha II keys feel great even just as a controller.

i can't say all that about her more experimental sister, the v-synth gt, who was the heart throb of electronic producers just a few short years ago. i feel as though she has been neglected by people like the OP and that there has been a great deal of confusion about her since she was announced.

suffice to say she is one of the most gorgeous keyboards ever conceived with a style that is the envy of most other manufacturers (like maschine mk1). her ability to combine the organic with the synthetic is as unmatched as her ability to bend time, pitch and formant.

she has plenty of knobs but more interestingly she has a beautiful touch screen display that makes complex sound design simple and rewarding. unlike her older siblings she is only limited by your imagination and quickly takes off into uncharted territory for true synthesists
Old 5th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
More importantly Dirtycircuit, why haven't you produced anything worth listening to for the past 15 years?
Damn the guy had 13 posts
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Addict

I'm not a fan of Roland as well.

Electric Drums are great (probably the best on the market)

The V synth was nice but there wasn't anything special that would blow my mind after that. (maybe I'm forgetting something)

The Juno A-Z and the new Jupiters were laughable. Great for some but defiantly not as cool as the originals were.

How could Roland make it interesting for me again?
Go Analog and release a Juno-60 MK2 and Jupiter 4/6/8 MK2 true to the original but with extra features that were not available back then.
I know... never gonna happen.

I still feel very stupid for selling my juno-60 for 400,- dollars (3 times )
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Hasn't everything that's ever going to be said on this subject already been said ... ???
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Hasn't everything that's ever going to be said on this subject already been said ... ???
Roland's for really reals going to listen this time BY THE GODS.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
More importantly Dirtycircuit, why haven't you produced anything worth listening to for the past 15 years?

Err how the hell do you know I have not made anything of note, from being a kid obsessed with hip hop in 86-88, to discovering acid house and amassing a big record collection and djing at seminal parties, to producing cutting edge electronic music, looking to push the boundaries, spin the axis and make forward thinking tunes. I am still doing it for the love of it, I could quite easily sell my soul and make a cheesy EDM style records to get played in Vegas, but i love the music and thats what it's about. What do you do some regurgitated drivel.

My point with this thread is when so many people (Electronic music granted!)use the 808, 909, 303, 101, Jupiter and Juno sounds etc around the world, why the hell does Roland make us buy Xoxbox's or keep alive our decreped 20 year old pieces of kit, yes there are a couple of decent Rolland bits and pieces lately, but they ain't a patch on their seminal gear, they can still service the church crowd, but why not make some updated analogues with USB...
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomaudio View Post
i'm not sure i agree that Yamaha and Roland have identical pedigrees. the big era defining analog synth for Yamaha is the CS-80 but i doubt it could be reintroduced as a new synth today for less of a price than only a few could afford. Yamaha's contribution to analog was mainly a 70's thing and by '83 and onward they were selling FM synths while Roland kept the analog thing going a some time longer. The difference to me is that a lot of Roland analog gear is their best stuff and it seems after the D50 or at least by the late 80's they never looked back.

Also another difference between Yamaha and Roland is that Yamaha didn't have any analog drum machines like the TR-808 or the TR-909, both of which have created whole genres of music. You would think that Roland would notice this.
I disagree that a modern CS-80 would be expensive, the biggest hurdle is the rare parts like in most old analog gear which aren't being made anymore.

It's interesting what Roland will do in the next 5 years, their current synths are starting to get dated, Gaia has a really bland sound while Jupiter-80 didn't really take off. What's happening now is analog is picking up, I'm predicting we'll see a few polysynths in the next few years from various makers.

So Roland would have to either make really really good sounding VAs or some other interesting digital synth or analog.

I'm guessing they don't care much about synths, they look at synths as something a pro needs with a ton of realistic sounding presets and since they have such a diverse range of products they don't really care if the synths category is not making much $$$

Like someone else said all their old stuff is popular right now from 303 to Paraphonic 505 and they haven't even made one modern equivalent, unbelievable.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

I think the V-Synth is one of the best synthesizers ever made.

In terms of control surfaces it is an example of how to stick software in a hardware box and do it right, instead of a situation where you buy a big grey box with keys and wonder if a computer would have been a better choice.

Every day atm I'm discovering something new about the V-Synth, and for me it's more exciting than any other synth I have. Truly a programmer's synth, but designed well enough that even poor programmers like myself can understand it.

I paid $800 for mine (original XT) and I think this is one digital instrument that could become sought after and command higher prices. I've just got the Vocal Designer, and can't wait to start playing with that.

I don't really care about Roland's analog heyday - I've got synths to cover analog ground, and there are replacements that could fill the gap in some shape or form. I can't think of another instrument that could fill the spot my V-Synth sits in, even a quarter as well.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycircuit View Post
Err how the hell do you know I have not made anything of note
I think the zing is based not necessarily on your talent, but that lack of Roland making a modern synth isn't preventing anyone in the world from making a wonderful record, and focusing on Roland's business practices and waiting for them to release the all-Synth isn't going to help you any in your life.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

As a longtime rabid Fantom-X owner (fully expanded with four SRX cards) I was heavily interested in the release of Fantom-G ...

Instead, Roland should have released the Fantom-V .. (Which I wrote many times at Roland Clan ...

I think it would have been a real winner — at least with the synth folks here and there ... (And certainly is a cooler name than Fantom-G ... )

It doesn't take too much imagination to visualize ... A relatively knobby synth with the PCM engine of their workstations (with at least the Fan-X sequencer) with the VA and Variphrase from V-Synth (along with vocal designer, of course) ...

I think it would have been a much better seller or at least generated more excitement than the faux studio replacement the Fantom-G tried to be with it's totally re-designed and totally unnecessary "power sequencer" ... And then there was the paltry Fan-G "best of SRX" soundset that pretty much everyone agreed was not representative in either quality, quantity or character of the SRX series boards ... (Even within the constraints of the relatively small ROM memory, such a better job could have been done constructing the soundset ... Marlee Matlin would have done a better job designing the soundset ... )

(Oh no !!! I posted !!! )

BTW ... As I turn to my right, I spy that Fan-X and a V-Synth XT ... Between those two I can make just about any sound imaginable or unimaginable ... (So many synths have come and gone but these boys remain ... )
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
I think the zing is based not necessarily on your talent, but that lack of Roland making a modern synth isn't preventing anyone in the world from making a wonderful record, and focusing on Roland's business practices and waiting for them to release the all-Synth isn't going to help you any in your life.
I know it was more of an observation I am not hung up on it, I was starting a track with a lot of Detroit influences with a modern twist and I was trying to find my copy of dance mega drums for 808 909 samples then I needed to get some jupiter and sh101 sounds and that's what spurred me into thinking its crazy they don't provide some modern machines to do this...
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycircuit View Post
I needed to get some jupiter and sh101 sounds and that's what spurred me into thinking its crazy they don't provide some modern machines to do this...
They are providing modern machines to do that.
Pretty much every modern Roland has recreations of older "classic" Roland sounds.
Old 7th June 2013
teo
Lives for gear

They do make a killer live desk though!
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old View Post
I think the V-Synth is one of the best synthesizers ever made.

In terms of control surfaces it is an example of how to stick software in a hardware box and do it right, instead of a situation where you buy a big grey box with keys and wonder if a computer would have been a better choice.

Every day atm I'm discovering something new about the V-Synth, and for me it's more exciting than any other synth I have. Truly a programmer's synth, but designed well enough that even poor programmers like myself can understand it.

I paid $800 for mine (original XT) and I think this is one digital instrument that could become sought after and command higher prices. I've just got the Vocal Designer, and can't wait to start playing with that.

I don't really care about Roland's analog heyday - I've got synths to cover analog ground, and there are replacements that could fill the gap in some shape or form. I can't think of another instrument that could fill the spot my V-Synth sits in, even a quarter as well.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 4th August 2013
Here for the gear

They dropped the ball big time by not keeping up with Moog and Korg and producing an SH-101 mini. Seems they're uninterested in the analog revival, and it's hurting them.
Old 4th August 2013
D50 = Jumped the shark moment.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Come now, the move to stable, predictable, reliable ROMplers was inevitable after the analog polysynth frustrations. Of course the overall sound suffered, but it was a needful step on the evolution of synthesis.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpseDixit View Post
I always wonder why everyone complains about Roland and nobody brings up Yamaha. They have an equally storied pedigree when it comes making era-defining synths, and AFAIK all they put out now are workstation keyboards, with even less variety than Roland, yet I don't see anyone trying to force them back into old habits. What makes it any more likely Roland would re-visit the past than Yamaha (other than the former being more exclusively devoted to music products, of course)?
Yamaha may not be making the GEAR we want...but what the DO make, is of IMPECIBLE quality.

Yamaha has never released half-finished, malfunctioning, half-assed, toy store build quality, plastic GARBAGE that is intended to keep you frustrated till they they get their next "HEY LOOK OVER HERE!" product together, at which point whatever it is that you have that doesn't work, is abandoned and NEVER updated again.

In my experience, Yamaha stands for TOP QUALITY...My DX7 Mrk 1 could survive a direct nuclear strike...I knocked my MR-10 drum machine out of a second-story window once....no problem...Of all the 80's 4-8 tracks I own, the Yamaha unit is the ONLY one that doesn't have some failier in the tape transport...I bought one of their new-ish REVSTAR guitars after noticing they were sexy as f^%k...I got the Les Paul Jr looking Green one with the P-90's and the crazy looking bridge...and it's become my #1 guitar, I prefer it over much more expensive ones

This one

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-bowden-green

The problem with Yamaha is they rarely make things we WANT anymore, (the refaces were not poor quality, they were just INCREDIBLY overpriced, at the price of a Volca, everyone would have had one or two...and still be using them)

But if Yamaha DID make something I wanted, I would buy it with complete confidence.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
you know tjporter, it is creepy. only the weirdos driving vans with the windows blacked out, still obsessed with the highschool prom queen are the people who want synths like the Jupiter 4, Jupiter 8, SH-02, SH-101, Juno-60, TR-808, TR-909, JX-10, etc...

**** so if you want a TR-909 for less than $3500, you're a creep.
.....how did you know about the Van?........
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Looking at these products, I can't really say Roland sucks.

I take an awesome digital over a poorly designed analog any day.
What about poorly crappy digital? Couldn't help but notice the GAIA there, so...ya....you know....
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Woke up with an uninitialized variable this morning, did we?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Because of internet stores there is just soooo much competition, these companies are competing all the time, so they have to come up with new stuff to out do the other guy. They pack everything with so many features these days just to stay on top of the game. These companies have employees, and they have to put these employees to work, so they let them brainstorm about new ideas which are probably not really necessary. They have to stay afloat and current.

I think stuff was good enough up untill the early 2000s, like we actually don't need any more stuff to make good music. Same goes with cars and computers.

It's all about making profit, and that will never change. Cheap labor, cheap parts, maximum profit.

Look at washing machines these days, some are programmed to die after a few years. They have chips that are impossible to reach for any tech so they have to be dumped. So you go and buy a new washer, hopefully of the same brand.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search