The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th October 2017
Here for the gear

Hi, how is my DSS-1 doing?
Old 29th October 2017
Here for the gear
Yummy Success!

Allen! Received my Juno 106 board successfully and mmmm-boy does it sound ever so much better-butterfat! I mean down to the bone d-lish yummier than I've heard it before. Static gone, hiss gone, creepy-crawly gone. Nothin' but goodness! Thanks for all you do.

I had an idea. Not that you have all this extra free time lying around but what if you created or published an ongoing list of your current of work load listing the type of project and expected completion dates - an inventory, so to speak, of what you're working on. That way customers, could decide when best to send in projects when the "wait time" is comparatively lower. You could do it on a Synth Spa Facebook page or something.

As an example: I have a Korg DW8000 that could use some key-contact work. Not a huge priority on my list as I just use it mostly as a remote MIDI module rather than via direct keys. So, I'd rather send it in, or even deliver it, when the wait time would be lower.

Give me a call if you'd like.

Michael
Jonesborough, TN
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear
would love an update on the JP-4 as well.
Old 30th October 2017
Here for the gear
me too; for my JD 800 ; please .............
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Addict

MR DUB! hey, I was waiting for you to answer that question on the leds for the Jupiter 4. I think they should be white? what do you think?

and STEPH, hey, we've changed our minds a couple of times on the color of the leds for the JD 800. I think we need to go with blue. It's the only color that really makes sense with the cream. Right now I'm looking for a blue back light for the screen . Tonight I'll post a pic of the bender.

I've contacted FRED about the Dss-1. It's been done for a while but couldn't find him in normal email for some reason. so I've contacted him here.

Lots of stuff finished. I'll get back to the two pressing customs as soon as I have the answer for 1. LEDS on the Jupiter 4, and 2. I find a blue back light for the JD.

Mr. Dub, a good example of all white would be this white polar 106. take a look in the photos.

and Michael , good idea for the work load, however, I'm going to use the Nuclear Option and stop all orders FEB 2018, and won't open again till absolutely everybody's synth is out from here. A new "doctors like schedule " will commence 2018 with at least a day in between orders. I should have done this a long time ago. ;-) but wanted to stay open.

Anyways! Here's all the stuff that's been completed ;

- White custom 106 with polyphony meter - Jason C
- Custom red 106 with PM - for sale
- Rainbow Delorean with PM - Jon W.
- Full Rest. 106 - Local Joe
- Full Rest. 106 - Sam
- Full Rest. 106 - Dylan D.
- Full Rest. 106 - Brian M.
- Full Rest. 106 - Richard w.
- Full Rest. 106 and 106s - Jesse A.
- Full rest. Sh-101, Matrix 6r - David W.

And more coming this week...
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1905.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1754.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1921.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1918.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1854.jpg  

SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1857.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1859.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1880.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1896.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1898.jpg  

SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_1915.jpg  
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
OK, yes on the white LEDs.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

Awesome Mr Dub!

I was hoping you would say that. I'll make the change and post a pic ASAP.

The DSS-1 went out today. Fred has the tracking number. As you can see in the photo, Bransen my new rescue pup, liked it well enough to photo bomb the picture.

A few other 106's were finihsed but the highlights are; the JOKER 106. - graphics created by customer. , Tim's Juno 66, and Calvin's White 106 w/Cherry wood sides.

SEE YA SOON!
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-dss.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-joker106.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-w106.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-juno66.jpg  
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

What is it about the white ones that looks so damn sexy!!!
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Head

My experience getting a 106 from Synthspa

Hi all, here's my PSA review:

I ordered a synthspa custom Juno 106 from scratch, and it turned out amazing! (See the attached picture of it in its new home, in a custom hardwood case/stand by Jordan Lake Design. Love the white board!) I did my homework prior to ordering, and was aware that Allen seems to have a lot on his plate and that turnaround times are extremely long, and so was not surprised or disappointed when it took a while to get the board because I was expecting it to be a while (took a smidge under a year). If you're looking for a quick buy, then just get something on ebay/reverb (especially if Allen has posted a finished board up there) or buy a new synth. If you're asking for custom stuff outside of the normal juno 106 restores he does, like some difficult individualized repairs, then I'm guessing it could take an even longer time. However, especially considering the price, Allen does good work; he's obviously a skilled craftsman who loves what he does. I had trouble picking my options and ended up deferring to dealer's choice in all but the white color theme, and couldn't be happier.

I would perhaps suggest to Allen that the advertised turnaround times be adjusted to reflect actual estimated completion, so that folks that weren't aware that there's a backlog can have a heads up. Allen quotes a shorter time but I took it with a grain of salt since it's custom work and I knew folks were waiting a lot longer, and was okay with that. The work is amazing; seriously my synth looks like it's a new, white, Juno. Very impressed.

A suggestion for Allen might be to simply produce custom boards and sell them as finished or nearly-finished items on ebay, and then also sell repair/restore kits (such as the chips, wooden ends, or replacement parts from commonly-needed units). Maybe just take a few really common repair jobs too like voice chip repair but refuse to accept the weird jobs that could take lots of extra time. That way there're no turnaround times and folks could just get what they want 'off the shelf' so to speak.

Allen is very talented and I hope more folks get to enjoy his work. I'm guessing it's hard to make a business doing this type of thing and probably hard to afford a hired technician to help with the busy work, which might contribute to the long turnarounds.

Best of luck all!
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-juno106.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-file-dec-11-1-08-55-pm.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear
How about some updates? This month will be 4 YEARS on the Jupiter 4.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Must be due for parole.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear doesn't kill people.

Wonder what's up here?
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict

Hi Guys!

Hope you all had a good relaxing Christmas and New Years! The holidays where a bit crazy before and after. But I'm ready to go full steam and get all of this stuff out! If you're just tuning in , I'll be stopping orders somewhere around late febuary - to mid May. Nuclear Option to end it all. I'll reopen afterwards and run it like a doctors office with plenty of time in between patients.

I'll have the final cosmetic pics of the Jupiter 4 the evening or tomorrow eve. More has been done , but I'll focus on posting late projects out the door. Then follows Stephane's Jd800. See ya soon!
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Addict

Down with the FLU, moovin slow! See ya Thursday night!
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Addict

Mr DUB!

Hey! Here she is! all lit up! It took awhile to get power to the lighted bender , but she looks nice! The LFO led is a little bright. I'll adjust that. One voice card is not responding to calibration correctly so , I'll do that asap. progress! I'll stay on it. We might need to order a chip or two. see you soon.
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-wj4on.jpg  
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Addict

Hey Guys!

Here's the JD 800 99% there. The 2 digit screen to the left of the BIG screen must be a common cathode display. I installed a common anode. I'lll order that tomorrow and have an update soon.
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-jd.jpg  
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Addict

Here's a few more shots...
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_2165.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_2166.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_2164.jpg  
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear
where we at with the JP4?
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Wow I was just about to buy (ebay) on a MKS-30 chip restoration. But having read this thread I'm not so sure.
It seems like Allen has a lot on his plate and I'm concerned about the lengthy time for mods (as well as the backlog)

Will the MKS-30 chip restoration be in the usual pile of work or is that a separate work path?

Thanks!
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Addict

Hi GUYS!

I'm Temporarily shut down for the months of MARCH, APRIL, and MAY. I'm reopening in JUNE and running the spa with a doctors office-like schedule.
Getting out of this backlog once and for all! I just need to put it up on the website to make it official.

I thought I would still take simple chip restorations like the MKS-30 and the 106 on ebay, to help people along. But NOTHING else. It wont really interfere.

The turn around times on circuit board work has been good.

It's this custom work that takes longer.

Anyways, I'll have the new Sides on the JP4 this weekend.

tonights pic, a local 106 for Nick , and a Juno 66 mod on a Juno 60.

I'll post everything til we're done.

SEE YA SOON!
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-106-60.jpg  
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Addict

Hey MR DUB!

Here's a pic with stained cherry sides for the Jupiter 4. You'll notice the DARK Peruvian walnut to the side. I wanted to show you both, but as it turns out I think the P. walnut is pretty dark. I can show them on if you really want to see them. Let me know if this color suits you. Next time this white jupiter 4 is presented, it should be out the door.

Also tonights boards out; Ean - Full restoration 106 , and Eric - DELUXE restoration 106.
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-jp4-w-cherry-1-.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-j1.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-j2.jpg  
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear
yes, I like the cherry sides. thanks! hows the voice card issue?
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

Hey Mr. Dub!

Awesome. Cherry wood it is. I like it!

I'll have news of the Voice card this coming weekend. stay tuned.

Finished up this 3p and the programmer for Kyle. more coming!
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-jx3p.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2018
That JD800 looks great.
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

I just got my MKS-30 chips back from SynthSpa. It took about 3 weeks, and all is well. In the meantime I also got Johannes's OS upgrade, so it's just like getting a new synth (I had a dead voice for about 2 years and the synth was in the closet!). Woo Hoo!
Old 3rd May 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Allen, any updates on my 106? Haven't heard from you in almost a year. -Adam
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
updates indeed
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Hey guys!

Mr Dub, I didn't want to get back on until the JP4 was done. Unfortunately voice board #3 is keeping me from doing that. I've practically rebuilt the whole thing. But I think I've found the problem. It's the envelope section for the VCA on the far right side. And it makes sense, because I hear the saw and square trying to volt up but can't go any where. It's like having all the ADSR settings pulled down. SO! I've ordered MORE of some IC's I don't usually carry from here in the states. No waiting from China. They'll be here end of this week or beginning of next.

in the meantime some real oldies went out the door.
Attached Thumbnails
SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-jp4vc.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_3002.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_3028.jpg   SynthSpa Public Message Allen Coppock-img_3027.jpg  
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Hey ADAM,

I sent you a PM.. Getting you out next!

Just need to confirm your ID.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search