The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!???!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!???!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?

I found this today searching Ebay. I must have missed the listing by about 10 minutes (it seems to have started and ended within 4 minutes - no surprise).

If this is legit and it seems it is (Who would scam for a mere £375?) then somebody somewhere has had all their birthdays and Xmas's come at once.

And me? I feel I need to go and be sick then cancel 2013 :(

Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!???!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?ROLAND JUPITER 8 CLASSIC ANALOGUE SYNTH with FLIGHTCASE & MANUAL | eBay

Sorry if someone else posted this, I did try searching.

The amount of time I spend scouring Ebay I rarely bother looking for JP-8s anymore because they are pie in the sky prices for me.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

uuuhhhhhh

"Ebayers are on crack"

They forgot the crack ...
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Hahaa someone got an incredible deal!
Seller just lost possibly > £4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I found this today searching Ebay. I must have missed the listing by about 10 minutes (it seems to have started and ended within 4 minutes - no surprise).

If this is legit and it seems it is (Who would scam for a mere £375?) then somebody somewhere has had all the birthday and Xmas's at once.

And me? I feel I need to go and be sick then cancel 2013 :(

Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!???!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?ROLAND JUPITER 8 CLASSIC ANALOGUE SYNTH with FLIGHTCASE & MANUAL | eBay

Sorry if someone else posted this, I did try searching.

The amount of time I spend scouring Ebay I rarely bother looking for JP-8s anymore because they are pie in the sky prices for me.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Tell me about it!

Honestly my legs went when I read the price it sold for.
Old 1st March 2013
Finally coming back to reasonable prices. heh
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Good to see prices back to their proper levels

Cue the thousands of emails he received with better offers...
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Head

Wow
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Maniac

Well, if you search only on the ebay.co.uk site it doesn't appear that a Jupiter 8 has actually sold in the last 30 days other than this one. On the U.S. site there are only a couple, each @ $5k. So yeah, perhaps the seller didn't do enough due dilligance.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Looks like somebody forgot to put the reserve price in.

I'd bet the deal didn't happen and the seller will list it again at some point.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

...and the efficient market hypothesis finds yet another glowing, shining example.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Looks like somebody forgot to put the reserve price in.

I'd bet the deal didn't happen and the seller will list it again at some point.
No! it was a BUY IT NOW

He's already left feedback for the buyer saying 'excellent transaction'

It looks legit and it's a case of the seller just not knowing what he was sitting on.

I am torn between sympathy for the seller and total **********(*&(*Y jealousy towards the buyer!

Needless to say *I* would have snapped that up at that price and not told him the 'correct' price.

Whether I'd have kept it or not I don't know... but would have kept it for a few years at least, have always wanted to try one out and for that price? it's almost free.

Not sure if this thread is therapy for my jealousy or useful in any way but I wish I had a time machine right now
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

OK, I join to the choir:

WHAT DA F?!?!?!
Old 1st March 2013
someone got lucky!
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Oh man i bet the seller is kicking himself now if he did let it go for that price.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Oh man i bet the seller is kicking himself now if he did let it go for that price.
He may consider suicide if someone tells him how much they are worth. Whoever tells him will feel like the police going to tell a wife her husband's died in a car crash!

If I made that mistake would I just shrug and say "ah well that's life", would it depend on how rich I was? hmmm.. no it would haunt me for the rest of my days.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

That looks like a blatant scam to me.
The seller sells stamps normally and lots of them, not audio gear.

He does have a few bits up now tho but no ones that useless nowadays to sell a jp8 for buttons
Old 1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker View Post
That looks like a blatant scam to me.
The seller sells stamps normally and lots of them, not audio gear.
How is it a scam exactly?

there is nothing there to indicate any of the usual scam methods.

£375 is not scam worthy money.

the fact he NORMALLY sells stamps is exactly why it's believable.

So.. ok the account could be hijacked and he ripped off paypal for a mere £375? why? you'd at least try for £1500 - the usual scam amount (or more).

And he has given and received feedback from other buyers since then, so not really hacked account behaviour.

No, to me it looks legit. From the photos to the story to the feeback left. I see scam listings all the time (usually for Alesis A6).

Maybe it is, and frankly I could sleep better if it was

but i doubt it was :(
Old 1st March 2013
I seriously doubt that genuinely sold for that price.

I mean I was just bidding for a kurzweil micro ensemble with no reserve and there was nuff competition for that...a JP8 going without anyone seeing is next to no chance. Sometimes auctions are pulled, scams, it could be any number of things.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe the Jupiter 8 has a gypsy curse on it and now a terrible fate will befall the buyer :-P
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I seriously doubt that genuinely sold for that price.

I mean I was just bidding for a kurzweil micro ensemble with no reserve and there was nuff competition for that...a JP8 going without anyone seeing is next to no chance. Sometimes auctions are pulled, scams, it could be any number of things.
Ok, again to be clear it was NOT an auction!!

Yes it had auction format but also had a buy it now. Instant price. And it closed within 4 minutes. This happens cos it's what I did with one of my polysix listed at £150. It was listed starting bid 99p buy it now £150 and I bought it within 10 minutes of the listing going up cos I was the first interested buyer to see it.

He has already left feedback for the buyer, the buyer hasn't left feedback yet (probably scared to show his face on ebay again! haha)

This listing looks exactly the same as that. No auction action just someone who spotted it straight away and - of course - hit buy it now, as we all would.

And BTW he is currently listing other synths, real looking listings with the same photo style/lighting. So.. legit as far as I can tell.

And the fact he's trying to sell a Korg 01/W for £400 starting bid says to me this is a guy who stopped keeping up on synth values in the early 90s when analogs weren't worth anything... and digital machines were seen as 'cleaner, newer worth more' - seems obvious if he is asking a high price for a ****ty Korg Rompler. No scam here.

Jupiter 8 Sold for £375!???!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KORG-01-Wf...item3f228bda13
Old 1st March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarSnafu View Post
Maybe the Jupiter 8 has a gypsy curse on it and now a terrible fate will befall the buyer :-P
Curse is probably worth it for that price.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
How is it a scam exactly?

there is nothing there to indicate any of the usual scam methods.

£375 is not scam worthy money.

the fact he NORMALLY sells stamps is exactly why it's believable.

So.. ok the account could be hijacked and he ripped off paypal for a mere £375? why? you'd at least try for £1500 - the usual scam amount (or more).

And he has given and received feedback from other buyers since then, so not really hacked account behaviour.

No, to me it looks legit. From the photos to the story to the feeback left. I see scam listings all the time (usually for Alesis A6).

Maybe it is, and frankly I could sleep better if it was

but i doubt it was :(
Deals such as this no longer exist on ebay thats why.
Also, Someone computer savy enough to use Ebay is savy enough to check what their item is worth.
Theres four other jp8's up on the site at present to go off.

Have to admit tho i am using my phone so cant access all the info on the seller at the moment...
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

I absolutely do not believe this is legit. There is no way someone with that number of unrelated transactions would not look up to see what something like a JP8 was worth. It may be a very clever scam because it looks different than the typical nonsense price with the email address in the jpg description to send a direct payment to.

If it sounds too good to be true it almost always is.

Edit: Check the other keyboards for sale and you can see the starting prices more accurately reflect real value. Whoever is doing the auctions is not that dumb. It is possible he wanted to start the bidding at a given price but somehow made a mistake an did it as a BIN. I can't believe this sale would go through.

Last edited by kpsiegel; 1st March 2013 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Added info on other keyboards
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

I bet it's real. This guy has been sitting on it for years, thinking it ain't worth much and I bet he is happy as a clam to get £375 for it.

If you look at that article he posted on the listing it is from 1989. He probably got it cheap in the late 1980s when no one wanted analog synths, and figured no one wants them now.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
IT IS LEGIT!!!

I wouldn't have posted it if I had even the slightest wiff of it being a scam!

Again he IS listing other synths, old synths, selling them off. NOTHING in that listing sounds like a scam. I use ebay a lot and no there are no other Jupiter 8s listed in the UK at this time.

As I said above, he's listing a KOrg rompler for £400 - that is the actions of a guy who has NO idea about what synths are worth! "this old dirty roland - £375, this shinier newer korg - £400".

I have a radard for scams and report at least 3 a week on ebay to shut them down, I'm not green about these things and I will contact him to find out if it was real.

I have never seen a scam on a Jupiter 8 for a mere £375. The guy's account hasn't been hacked so why would he try to rip paypal off? cos the buyer would get his money back if the item didn't get delivered.

99% certain at this time it's legit, and if it's a scam I'd actually be glad cos I could get on with my life! haha
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
And the fact he's trying to sell a Korg 01/W for £400 starting bid says to me this is a guy who stopped keeping up on synth values in the early 90s when analogs weren't worth anything...
Yep thats what crossed my mind. Stuck in the 90's. That would be nice actually!

I sent a message to both buyer and seller.
Asking if the seller knew the value and telling the buyer he's a lucky wnker!
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Maybe instead of shill bidders inflating prices this is someone trying to drive prices DOWN for a change .
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker View Post
Deals such as this no longer exist on ebay thats why.
Also, Someone computer savy enough to use Ebay is savy enough to check what their item is worth.
Theres four other jp8's up on the site at present to go off.

Have to admit tho i am using my phone so cant access all the info on the seller at the moment...

Oh yes they do, you just haven't seen them.

This is NOT the first absolute kicker of a deal I've seen (and hey I've even had some myself)

why is it so hard to accept a seller who sells stamps normally has long forgotten about synths or their worth and just cuts/pastes some stuff from a website and puts it on at what he feels it's worth.

Some people do not search for prices, they go with their own value in their head ESPECIALLY older people.

I could start listing the REAL ebay bargains that I've seen - with feedback left both sides but would just be making myself even more sick all over again, the only reason I posted about this one is because of HOW much of a deal it was and because of which synth it was.

But just as an example.. I saw a buy it now - closed within 10 minutes of an MKS-30 WITH PG-200 AND two carts £150 BIN. a year or so ago.

That's over £600 "value" right there and was legit. My own 2nd polysix was £150 bin, yes it said it had battery damage but there were photos showing how MINIMAL it was and that it still actually 'worked' pretty much. Nowhere near this JP-8 thing but stuff like that does happen, maybe once a month if you spend enough of your time on the bay. (I shouldn't really be saying this as competition is already high)
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

There are two things I find really sad about this, actually:

1. Someone didn't know what they were sitting on, and ended up selling it for a fraction of its actual market value. Can't be fun when they realize the mistake they made.
2. It wasn't me who bought it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search