The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid postpones Q4 earnings call "indefinitely," accounting under investigation DAW Software
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
So exactly what change do you want?
I'll have a go.

1. Open up Eucon to 3rd part developers.
2. Remove the 32 channel IO limit for native.
3. Clip FX for native.
4. Make a Thunderbolt 3 HDX rig in a 2u rack so we don't have to mess about with expansion chassis.
5. Make a proper Eucon controller that is the size of a C24 but works with multiple DAW's. No preamps but a fully featured monitor section.
6. Failing that a 24 channel S3 with inbuilt transport.
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not following your logic here mate. Rosica is an internal candidate (i.e. a "boys club" member) and for all we know, has has been behind all of Hernandez's moves over the past 5 or so years.
That is indeed possible but we can't be sure until we see how things pan out. What we do know is that with Hernandez we were likely to get more of the same. With Rosica, we might get more of the same or we might see some changes. Time will tell.

The market doesn't seem too impressed either way judging by the share prices... There was a momentary drop of around 2% when the news broke but we are now at just 0.62% down in share price compared to last week.

Quote:
Change rarely (if ever) develops from within a company. If it comes at all, it will come from an outside influence.
True but in most cases CEO's don't get fired with immediate effect so we are not seeing the usual "graceful" handing over of responsibilities. With such an abrupt shift, the all too regular grooming and power transfer to the cronies might not happen. We shall see how it all develops.

Alistair
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
How about profit and growth for a start?

If you wonder on possible ways they could achieve that... Click on my user name and select "Show only UnderTow's posts in this thread" for a start.

Alistair
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Below is a common response from those in the know who are willing to speak their minds, and it's congruent with many people's experience with the company, and certainly reflective of Avid's recent history. I'd be surprised if anyone felt that that culture did NOT need to change.

Then, dial back the boardroom greed. Put customers first again. Deliver upon technological promises. Bring PT up to a more competitive state. Or, just the first one as the rest would then "work itself out naturally."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Avid Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4 Feb 2018

Avid Technology Logo
"Do not work for this company!"
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
Disapproves of CEO
I worked at Avid Technology full-time
Pros
Colleagues work incredibly hard and hold an incredible amount of knowledge. They are loyal to the brand Avid and their fellow teams.
Cons
Colleagues are totally undervalued, overworked, used and abused by Louis and his line of overpaid and work shy senior management.
Advice to Management
There is nothing I can say that can help. If you had a heart you would have already understood the damage you have inflicted. Your lack of remorse in how you have treated your employees, along with your own profit greedy, abuse of power will not ever make this company a leader in the market. You have taken Avid and broken it beyond repair, whilst standing on a pulpit, preaching lies to anyone who can fuel your own sense importance. People who are successful leaders in business, listen to those who put their time, dedication and love into it, it is a shame you were never intelligent enough to realise.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear
I would imagine that Cove Street Capital had a hand in Hernandez's leaving - or at least wanted to see him go.

But so far, the stock-market has not shown any immediate reaction to the change and I expect there will be continued minor bouts of selling up to the end-of-year results in 2-3 weeks time.
Old 1st March 2018
Motown legend

We're a few weeks away from when they announce their new broadcast television and film-post products. That's Rosica's specialty and the area they have been investing in to build on their strengths profit-wise.
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not following your logic here mate. Rosica is an internal candidate (i.e. a "boys club" member) and for all we know, has has been behind all of Hernandez's moves over the past 5 or so years. Change rarely (if ever) develops from within a company. If it comes at all, it will come from an outside influence.
Interesting tidbit: Jeff Rosica was brought on board in 2013 right after Hernandez was made CEO. Rosica was best known for being responsible for selling off the previous company he was employed by, Grass Valley, 18 months after he was brought into that company. (Same for then-new CEO Hernandez, as well, actually.) There was some expectation that two executives best known for selling their companies might well be investigating the same for Avid, but for whatever reason - lack of suitor interest, or that financial scandal (which might have eliminated takeover interest) - management decided to rehab itself.

Four years ago I predicted Avid would take "refuge in the (shrinking) high-end where margins are higher, where they sell service contracts, and where they have less competition." Yup. Unfortunately for them, they've also experienced receding sales and retreating profits.

At any rate, we now have Greenfield's surprise departure in February 2013, followed by Hernandez's almost exactly 5 years later. So, the Rosica countdown clock begins.
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
There was some expectation that two executives best known for selling their companies might well be investigating the same for Avid, but for whatever reason - lack of suitor interest, or that financial scandal (which might have eliminated takeover interest) - management decided to rehab itself.
What little suitor interest was left, evaporated completely when Hernandez bought Orad for $60m and loaded the company with c.a. $200m debt, putting all IP, past and future, in the hands of Cerberus.

All the key creative talent has either left or was fired. All the IP and all physical assets are in hock. The market cap and the debt are about the same.

It is a company with one asset and one asset only - market share. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay anything like current market cap for a diminishing share of what is a diminishing market.

And talking about 'diminishing' Orad (Ivsm Ltd. London) saw a 90% fall in turnover in 2016-17. Euphonix Europe Ltd. now has net asset value of minus £480,000. Sibelius revenues fell by 38% in 2016.
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
All the IP and all physical assets are in hock. The market cap and the debt are about the same.

It is a company with one asset and one asset only - market share. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay anything like current market cap for a diminishing share of what is a diminishing market.
damn forgot about that... so not even say Apple sweeping in and picking them up is feasible...
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
damn forgot about that... so not even say Apple sweeping in and picking them up is feasible...
Thank goodness. That would be disastrous for anyone on Windows. And for the rest, before you know it you are looking at an app called PT X in which you can't import or export OMF/AAF. Only talks directly to FCP. Doesn't support Wave/MP3 or any other open standard...

No thanks.

(Yes I am aware that I am exaggerating but Apple are not a company that aim at the professional market. Apple taking over Avid would not be good except maybe for Apple. (And even that is doubtful)).

Alistair
Old 2nd March 2018
Deleted User
You see, hear, read, a number of musicians/composers who need to export stems from their DAW of choice into Pro Tools for studio interoperability. This is the non-HDX world, where Pro Tools is more of an industry standard delivery format than an industry standard tool for doing their actual work. They are meant to be the $100-200 annual subscription vanilla world, but they are on older versions, and Avid is not getting subscription money from them. I wonder if they charged a per-session fee for an online converter to which you could upload your stems and configure it into a Pro Tools session as a part of their cloud service, if they might get some business from it. It's a hassle to maintain system compatibility with Pro Tools when you're only using it as a stems-conversion app.
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
You see, hear, read, a number of musicians/composers who need to export stems from their DAW of choice into Pro Tools for studio interoperability. This is the non-HDX world, where Pro Tools is more of an industry standard delivery format than an industry standard tool for doing their actual work. They are meant to be the $100-200 annual subscription vanilla world, but they are on older versions, and Avid is not getting subscription money from them. I wonder if they charged a per-session fee for an online converter to which you could upload your stems and configure it into a Pro Tools session as a part of their cloud service, if they might get some business from it. It's a hassle to maintain system compatibility with Pro Tools when you're only using it as a stems-conversion app.
I'm not sure I'm following you. Stems don't need any preparing to be PT compatible. You just drag them in and you are done.

Alistair
Old 2nd March 2018
Deleted User
That's just it. They hardly use Pro Tools. It's like document delivery in Word format. An online converter could actually add some value to the proposition. As it is now, they aren't using it at all other than to deliver in the requested format. Maybe there's not enough need. Just an idea.
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
That's just it. They hardly use Pro Tools. It's like document delivery in Word format.
Except it isn't. Every DAW can import/export WAV files. It is an open format. there is nothing to convert to make them usable by other DAWs (or PT).

Quote:
An online converter could actually add some value to the proposition. As it is now, they aren't using it at all other than to deliver in the requested format. Maybe there's not enough need. Just an idea.
There is no need at all. (Unless someone that doesn't know what they are talking about wrote the delivery requirements for a studio but that is another issue entirely).

Alistair
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Guru

The only reason it would be needed is if the delivery requirements request a PT session file and audio files. Then you'll need the PT app. Other than that, like Alistair says, drag em in....

That said, most of my delivery requirements for post houses request PT sessions - not raw WAV/AIFF files.
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
That said, most of my delivery requirements for post houses request PT sessions - not raw WAV/AIFF files.
Indeed. That is often the case for me too. Of course, if the full session is required as part of the delivery then usually that means that the full session needs to be created in PT to start with. (And with some of my clients that also means restricting myself to the same collection of plugins that the clients have in their studio).

I believe there are already tools in existence that can translate sessions from one format to another. As I have never used them I can't judge their effectiveness but I think it means that claurence's idea wouldn't really be work commercially for Avid.

Alistair
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

I recently "upgraded" to the reinstatement plan - last November, it cost me $799 to move from PT HD 10.3.1 to 12.8. I held off for a long time because I resented the entire business model - I'm also pissed that I've invested in two blue interfaces (now unsupported) and Avid's Omni, but still am being charged a fortune for a subscription to get ... not much more than the vanilla versions give you, but stuff I need for film/tv work.

It's still great software, and I know it like the back of my hand - and I've got years of files I go back to, but I doubt I'll invest much more in this company at this point, certainly not interfaces any longer (especially now that third party solutions are supported in HD).

I'll probably move to Logic at some point, I'll need a couple of weeks off to do it, and way more tome than that to translate back sessions ... we'll see.
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Get the little programme AA-Translator and you can use anything you like, CuBase, Reaper, Nuendo, whatever.

AATranslator - Home Page
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post

I'll probably move to Logic at some point, I'll need a couple of weeks off to do it, and way more tome than that to translate back sessions ... we'll see.
I've done the trip around the block a couple of times now from PT to Nuendo, Studio One, and Logic.

I keep coming back to PT. As much as I dislike Avid as a company......
FWIW Logic has stuck around for writing, but it sucks as a mixing tool IMHO. PT is by a wide margin my fav platform for mixing. Sometimes I wish it were not so....... but I have accepted that for me, that's just the way it is.
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
FWIW Logic has stuck around for writing, but it sucks as a mixing tool IMHO. PT is by a wide margin my fav platform for mixing. Sometimes I wish it were not so... but I have accepted that for me, that's just the way it is.
I actually quite like Logic for mixing. Some of the bundled plugins are fantastic and have a lot of character/personality to them.

But for editing audio? Pro Tools all the way. It's just so easy to get things done!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually quite like Logic for mixing. Some of the bundled plugins are fantastic and have a lot of character/personality to them.

But for editing audio? Pro Tools all the way. It's just so easy to get things done!
I wonder why Logic hasn't emulated PT's basic style of editing audio. I wouldn't expect them to copy everything about the PT process, but they're sticking to an architecture in Logic which doesn't deserve the loyalty. Keep the MIDI -- that's excellent -- but incorporate the audio, too.

Or do some people actually prefer how Logic handles audio tracks? Who are these people???
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I wonder why Logic hasn't emulated PT's basic style of editing audio.
A friend and I have pondered the same question for the last 15 years about every other DAW on the market.

Every time we talk about new software or DAWs, the question always comes up.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
A friend and I have pondered the same question for the last 15 years about every other DAW on the market.

Every time we talk about new software or DAWs, the question always comes up.
Did you come up with a theory? We talk about it too and all we come up with is that Logic is afraid to lose their current base if they change how audio is handled. Though, I suspect that they'd gain a LOT of new customers if audio wasn't so wretched. I, for one, would jump over in a heartbeat.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Did you come up with a theory? We talk about it too and all we come up with is that Logic is afraid to lose their current base if they change how audio is handled. Though, I suspect that they'd gain a LOT of new customers if audio wasn't so wretched. I, for one, would jump over in a heartbeat.
Somehow. I doubt Logic is a 'money maker' for Apple and I doubt many switch to Apple just to use it. I suspect they don't feel the need to use many resources on it as Apple users will be Apple users.
Old 15th March 2018
Motown legend

Logic and what was to become Final Cut were acquired by Apple around the time both Avid and Adobe were threatening to not support System X. Jobs was obviously afraid of losing the prestige of "name" music and motion picture producers using Macs.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Logic and what was to become Final Cut were acquired by Apple around the time both Avid and Adobe were threatening to not support System X. Jobs was obviously afraid of losing the prestige of "name" music and motion picture producers using Macs.
Interesting. Why the 'no-support threats'?
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No real theory, just a lot of head scratching.

We both love the way Pro Tools handles audio and mixing, but (at the time) felt it was lacking in the MIDI department. The MIDI is much better these days than when they first added it into the app.

Cost was another factor and now, for me at least, I'm not a massive fan of the way AVID do business. As many have said, it should just be one software application and if you need DSP hardware, you buy into it. There really is no reason to artificially limit anything in the software anymore aside from greed.
Old 15th March 2018
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Interesting. Why the 'no-support threats'?
The NeXT computer had a bad reputation with developers and Mac sales had been declining for years. The broadcast world had jumped on PCs before the Mac existed.

The Mac originally required a real-time operating system in order to do what Jobs wanted for a GUI. This made it much more powerful for media production than PCs or Unix/NeXt. Moving to NeXt eliminated the Mac's inherent advantages over a PC while requiring a complete code rewrite. Meanwhile, Intel had made a massive investment in Avid to finance porting Media Composer to PC, acquiring Digidesign and also porting Pro Tools to PC.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Avid released it's 2017 year-end financials and, once again, they haven't mustered a turnaround.

Total Net Revenues

Last 3 months 2016: $115.3 m
Last 3 months 2017: $107.3 m (7% lower)

2016: $511.9 m
2017: $419 m (18% lower)

Net Income/Loss

2016: $48.2 m income
2017: $13.6 m loss

Avid had a 26% reduction in revenue in products from 2016 to 2017.
Avid had a 8.4% reduction in revenue in services from 2016 to 2017.
Old 17th March 2018
it's time to switch to cubase people and wake up before its too late, pro tools is dead in the water, I've been using cubase since the 1990s, cheers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search