The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An open letter to Greg Wells Condenser Microphones
Old 13th June 2006
member no 666

An open letter to Greg Wells

The fun starts on page 2 of this thread

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...t=73153&page=2

...and of course rolls into page 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells
I playfully shot Fletcher a taste of his own caustic medicine because his first post in this thread arrogantly discredits all of us by stating none of us have ever worked with a real U-47. He missed the point of this topic and decided it was time to spew an opinion about vintage 47's and the current imitators. This isn't the first time he's barged in on a thread and fired off a bunch of non sequitur hoohaw. It's guys like him that made me become an engineer in the first place... crusty, frustrated, stuck in their ways engineers. Not to add insult to injury, but what records has Fletcher worked on that set the audio engineering bar so indelibly high? Am I seriously missing something? Isn't this a guy who makes a living from selling high end audio gear?
Sweetheart, I was not the first one to get personal. In fact, I NEVER get personal until someone crosses the line of good taste in my direction.

You intimated that I drink my own urine? That's a playful shot (?) you sik fuk(!).

Now, I never stated that nobody has worked with a real 47, that would be ridiculous. What I said was that nobody who has offered [sorry I used a 25¢ word the first time around] a suggestion as to what <$1,500 mic might be comparable to a real / good condition U-47 has ever actually used one... the meaning being that there is nothing in that price range that is comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
I've got $50- says that nobody who has tendered a suggestion here has ever worked with a real [as in good condition] Tube U-47... because if you had, you'd never make any kind of statement that could/would state anything as comparable.
To which you replied that I drink my own urine.

Aren't you a fukkin' MENSA candidate.

Reading is FUNdemental... if you had actually read, or had a modicum of reading comprehension capability I don't believe you would have found anything askew with my comments... or, you should have taken me up on the $50- bet because I would have paid off if you had a legitimate comment... but instead you intimated I should down a pint of piss... and I'm the fukkin' jerk?

Again, with the reading comprehension thing... I didn't "barge in" on a got damn thing. What I did was make an astute observation at the ridiculousness of the buzzword bandying... an observation that obviously alluded you.

As for me inspiring you to become an engineer because I'm an old crusty ****head... well sport, I'm happy to have been of some service. While I am indeed old and crusty it is not without foundation. I am saddened to see a great discipline relegated to nothing more than a festival of "magic bullet buzzwords"... a $1,500- U-47? How about a $3,500 Lexus? A $25,000 Stutz Bearcat? Can I get an original Van Gogh for a few hundred bucks... it would look bitchin' over my fireplace.

If you need "credits" to be of value in your world then I pity you. I have a great respect for your work and the credits you have achieved. I had to look on your homepage to find them... but hey, that's what YOU'RE selling, it's not what I'm selling. You seem to have some pretty heavy credentials... which I suppose is a good thing for a man of your vocation. In my vocation, which is mainly as a humble engineer hanging in the shadows of an "out market" I don't need to be quite so public about what I've done.

Sorry, I'm just not big on wagging my dick around flogging my credits. "Credits" are what you're supposed to have when you work in this business... I have some, but those are done and I tend to look toward the future. Those that have worked with me are generally pleased with the outcome... they tell a couple of friends, who tell a couple of other friends, who tell a few more friends and I get as much work as I can handle. As you previously noted, I'm old. I've been a working engineer for over 30 years. It's not so much that I'm set i n my ways [the kids at the shop will tell you that I pretty much never do the same thing twice!! I'd hardly call that "set in my ways"], it's just that I have little tolerance for stupidity, and I don't need to advertise my engineering services.

... but enough of the dick wrangling... let's get back to the original topic... which was what cheapassed "Mao-crophone" is going to give me the same results as a handbuilt German classic?

Eat me.

While I am part owner of a shop that does indeed sell high end recording equipment, and while that shop once was involved with vintage equipment sales... and while I have worked with various manufacturers as a design consultant... and had several pieces of equipment design specifically for me [the Great River MicPre-2eNVy, ME-1NV, EQ-1 & 2 NV as well as the Pendulum Audio "Quartet II", the Drawmer 1968 and 1969... the Littlelabs STD, and another 2 or three that have yet to be released... I'm more proud of that than my work with Buddy Guy, Roomful of Blues, Billy Idol, Joe Perry, Keith Richards, Jimmy Miller, and a couple of other names you may have heard from time to time. I'm actually way prouder of the work I did with The Swinging Steaks, El Camino, Black Number Nine, Those Melvins, Judy's Tiny Head, Shake the Faith, Fingerpaint, and a whole host of other small level independent acts than any of the "major" **** I've done.

At the end of the day... if you had taken the time to actually read my original post instead of taking a low blow cheap shot because you failed to understand my frustration with "marketing over substance" we would be having no discussion of this sort.

You owe me an apology which I'm sure your vanity will never permit you to produce. This is the way life is and I can certainly handle it. If you would like to "dish it out" a little more... well... this thread is in "The Moan Zone"... I believe you may have at it all you like... and I can certainly "take it"... I just won't take it like a bitch... understand the difference.

Peace.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Hang on I need to get some popcorn a beer and a raincoat, don't start without me. take care Logan
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Whats up?

Looks like the opening credits for the main feature. Have I got time to use the john?

Roland heh
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Calling all Fletcher yes-men, now's your time to shine!!! Quick!

"Nice post Fletcher"

"Excellent post Fletcher"

Yawn....
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Greg Wells wrote:

"99.999% of the world is quite jealous of what we all do for a living, and it's not like we're curing cancer either. "

Sorry, this quote made me laugh. Where are you taking this sample? From Full Sail or something? 99.999% of the people I meet don't give a rats ass about what I do, and most actually think music itself should be free, and usually find a way to make that happen.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy
Greg Wells wrote:

"99.999% of the world is quite jealous of what we all do for a living, and it's not like we're curing cancer either. "

Sorry, this quote made me laugh. Where are you taking this sample? From Full Sail or something? 99.999% of the people I meet don't give a rats ass about what I do, and most actually think music itself should be free, and usually find a way to make that happen.
haha this makes me laugh man-nobody gives a **** about the audio guy-just make sure its there and it sounds right or your the worlds biggest dickhead!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Talk about much a frickin' do about not too much.

It's like listening to someone who's been up for days on speed get all bent out of shape about how someone misplaced his beer.

No, wait, sorry.

It's not even that interesting.

Out of here.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The fun starts on page 2 of this thread

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...t=73153&page=2

...and of course rolls into page 3.

Sweetheart, I was not the first one to get personal. In fact, I NEVER get personal until someone crosses the line of good taste in my direction.

You intimated that I drink my own urine? That's a playful shot (?) you sik fuk(!).

Now, I never stated that nobody has worked with a real 47, that would be ridiculous. What I said was that nobody who has offered [sorry I used a 25¢ word the first time around] a suggestion as to what <$1,500 mic might be comparable to a real / good condition U-47 has ever actually used one... the meaning being that there is nothing in that price range that is comparable.

To which you replied that I drink my own urine.

Aren't you a fukkin' MENSA candidate.

Reading is FUNdemental... if you had actually read, or had a modicum of reading comprehension capability I don't believe you would have found anything askew with my comments... or, you should have taken me up on the $50- bet because I would have paid off if you had a legitimate comment... but instead you intimated I should down a pint of piss... and I'm the fukkin' jerk?

Again, with the reading comprehension thing... I didn't "barge in" on a got damn thing. What I did was make an astute observation at the ridiculousness of the buzzword bandying... an observation that obviously alluded you.

As for me inspiring you to become an engineer because I'm an old crusty ****head... well sport, I'm happy to have been of some service. While I am indeed old and crusty it is not without foundation. I am saddened to see a great discipline relegated to nothing more than a festival of "magic bullet buzzwords"... a $1,500- U-47? How about a $3,500 Lexus? A $25,000 Stutz Bearcat? Can I get an original Van Gogh for a few hundred bucks... it would look bitchin' over my fireplace.

If you need "credits" to be of value in your world then I pity you. I have a great respect for your work and the credits you have achieved. I had to look on your homepage to find them... but hey, that's what YOU'RE selling, it's not what I'm selling. You seem to have some pretty heavy credentials... which I suppose is a good thing for a man of your vocation. In my vocation, which is mainly as a humble engineer hanging in the shadows of an "out market" I don't need to be quite so public about what I've done.

Sorry, I'm just not big on wagging my dick around flogging my credits. "Credits" are what you're supposed to have when you work in this business... I have some, but those are done and I tend to look toward the future. Those that have worked with me are generally pleased with the outcome... they tell a couple of friends, who tell a couple of other friends, who tell a few more friends and I get as much work as I can handle. As you previously noted, I'm old. I've been a working engineer for over 30 years. It's not so much that I'm set i n my ways [the kids at the shop will tell you that I pretty much never do the same thing twice!! I'd hardly call that "set in my ways"], it's just that I have little tolerance for stupidity, and I don't need to advertise my engineering services.

... but enough of the dick wrangling... let's get back to the original topic... which was what cheapassed "Mao-crophone" is going to give me the same results as a handbuilt German classic?

Eat me.

While I am part owner of a shop that does indeed sell high end recording equipment, and while that shop once was involved with vintage equipment sales... and while I have worked with various manufacturers as a design consultant... and had several pieces of equipment design specifically for me [the Great River MicPre-2eNVy, ME-1NV, EQ-1 & 2 NV as well as the Pendulum Audio "Quartet II", the Drawmer 1968 and 1969... the Littlelabs STD, and another 2 or three that have yet to be released... I'm more proud of that than my work with Buddy Guy, Roomful of Blues, Billy Idol, Joe Perry, Keith Richards, Jimmy Miller, and a couple of other names you may have heard from time to time. I'm actually way prouder of the work I did with The Swinging Steaks, El Camino, Black Number Nine, Those Melvins, Judy's Tiny Head, Shake the Faith, Fingerpaint, and a whole host of other small level independent acts than any of the "major" **** I've done.

At the end of the day... if you had taken the time to actually read my original post instead of taking a low blow cheap shot because you failed to understand my frustration with "marketing over substance" we would be having no discussion of this sort.

You owe me an apology which I'm sure your vanity will never permit you to produce. This is the way life is and I can certainly handle it. If you would like to "dish it out" a little more... well... this thread is in "The Moan Zone"... I believe you may have at it all you like... and I can certainly "take it"... I just won't take it like a bitch... understand the difference.

Peace.

What a massive ego.

Quote:
... and I can certainly "take it"...
Yeah, right, shure looks like it.

Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Thumbs down asinine

Yeah... maybe he can "take it." He just didn't take it well. I think an apology is owed. I just think it's owed from Fletcher to Greg, or if not Greg, then at least to the rest of the forum for taking a verbal $hit in two seperate threads.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Aaaw damn it all to hell... I wasted my entire lunch break reading this. I was hoping for a big ending with guns and hookers and firetruck... and it ended up being a tepid puddle of monkey pee.dfegad
Old 13th June 2006
Hang on a sec-- fifty dollars is fifty dollars. Damn, I am going to have to do some thinking here... there must be some technicality...
Old 13th June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb
Calling all Fletcher yes-men, now's your time to shine!!! Quick!

"Nice post Fletcher"

"Excellent post Fletcher"

Yawn....
fuuck
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

oh come on Fletcher I never expected this sissy attitude from you. You are dissapointing your fans : ) The ¨you owe me an apology¨ is a girls favorite line hahaha I would delete this thread and pretend it never happened....
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I've got a serious problem with this thread for two reasons:

1. This is basically an attempt for Fletcher to reopen a thread which has already been closed by a moderator. This shows poor judgement and a lack of taste, almost to the extent of his comments in the previous thread.

2. This is supposed to be a letter to Greg Wells. So use the PM function. I believe that most (read "all") of Fletcher's posts in recent months are nothing more than a boost to his own ego. The start of this thread only confirms that belief.

-Jp
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Hang on I need to get some popcorn a beer and a raincoat, don't start without me. take care Logan
An umbrella for all occasions..
Attached Thumbnails
An open letter to Greg Wells-umbrella.jpg  
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peacock
I've got a serious problem with this thread for two reasons:

1. This is basically an attempt for Fletcher to reopen a thread which has already been closed by a moderator. This shows poor judgement and a lack of taste, almost to the extent of his comments in the previous thread.

2. This is supposed to be a letter to Greg Wells. So use the PM function. I believe that most (read "all") of Fletcher's posts in recent months are nothing more than a boost to his own ego. The start of this thread only confirms that belief.

-Jp
That is an excellent analysis. thumbsup
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

U R Like Dis

All Yur Response R Belong To Us
Attached Thumbnails
An open letter to Greg Wells-argue091204.jpg  
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Did someone have to use an ADAT and Mackie recently. That's usually how these things start.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

My socks are fuzzy.

-O.9
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

Peace.
Drinking one's own urine is a highly honored discipline from the most esteemed practice of Hatha Yoga, as prescribed in many of the authentic Yogic texts like the Hatha Yoga Pradikipa (light on hatha yoga) by the Yoga master Svatmarama in the 15th century CE. It is a practice for MEN. It also exists in Alchemical and Magical circles, where it is known as 'taking oneself "back"'. It is not a joke nor a practice for perverts.

Sissies should not apply. And you children who get into these public pissing matches in a forum designed to create a community of friends who share a love of audio recording are wasting precious bodily fluids by doing so. This goes against Alchemical precepts -- STOP IT.

With warm regards,
rlnyc.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Fletcher - I got your email directing me to this public thread. I'm certainly sorry for asking if you drank your own urine, and pleased to hear that you don't.

I could engage in your accusations that I lack comprehension, IQ, the ability to apologize, and indeed that it's me with the fragile ego.

Wouldn't we all rather read the entire Monty Python Argument sketch? And now for something completely different.

M: (Knock)
A: Come in.
M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?
A: I told you once.
M: No you haven't.
A: Yes I have.
M: When?
A: Just now.
M: No you didn't.
A: Yes I did.
M: You didn't
A: I did!
M: You didn't!
A: I'm telling you I did!
M: You did not!!
A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
M: Oh, just the five minutes.
A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.
M: You most certainly did not.
A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you.
M: No you did not.
M: You didn't.
A: Did.
M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
A: Yes it is.
M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
A: No it isn't.
M: It is!
A: It is not.
M: Look, you just contradicted me.
A: I did not.
M: Oh you did!!
A: No, no, no.
M: You did just then.
A: Nonsense!
M: Oh, this is futile!
M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
M: It is.
A: Not at all.
M: Now look.
A: (Rings bell) Good Morning.
M: What?
A: That's it. Good morning.
M: I was just getting interested.
A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.
M: That was never five minutes!
A: I'm afraid it was.
M: It wasn't.
Pause
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.
M: What?!
A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
M: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!
A: (Hums)
M: Look, this is ridiculous.
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
M: Oh, all right.
(pays money)
A: Thank you.
short pause
M: Well?
A: Well what?
M: That wasn't really five minutes, just now.
A: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.
M: I just paid!
A: No you didn't.
M: I DID!
A: No you didn't.
M: Look, I don't want to argue about that.
A: Well, you didn't pay.
M: Aha. If I didn't pay, why are you arguing? I Got you!
A: No you haven't.
M: Yes I have. If you're arguing, I must have paid.
A: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.
M: Oh I've had enough of this.
A: No you haven't.
M: Oh Shut up.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx
haha this makes me laugh man-nobody gives a **** about the audio guy-just make sure its there and it sounds right or your the worlds biggest dickhead!
Yep, when you're out at a show, with a truck full of gear from some rental company, and the crossover takes a dump, the 3-4000 people there for sure know it's your fault, and every one of them will make a point of telling you exactly how bad it sounds, while you are madly ripping out wires and trying to somehow make a huge PA sound like there are still horns. And the crowning glory is that at the end of the day you still have to load the truck and take the **** back, while the band stands around glowering because you ****ed up their gig. If it wasn't for the wasted speed freak raving about how "the kick rawked man" it would hardly be worth it. take care Logan
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I thought Fletcher did miss the point of the previous thread that started this whole thing... and his post there was boorish and definitely not in the spirit of most exchanges on this site. Disappointing then, disappointing now.

Greg is a good guy (I've worked with him), and deserves the benefit of the doubt... besides, he did compare you to a Beatle...
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
I believe you may have at it all you like... and I can certainly "take it"...

Peace.
Yeah right..
...Lighten up Fletcher..
Greg is a good guy ..he was just jokin around..
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

i love gearslutz!
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjis
I thought Fletcher did miss the point of the previous thread that started this whole thing... and his post there was boorish and definitely not in the spirit of most exchanges on this site. Disappointing then, disappointing now.

Greg is a good guy (I've worked with him), and deserves the benefit of the doubt... besides, he did compare you to a Beatle...

Hey!

Not Yoko Ono I hope! heh

Regards to all

Roland
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

The really scary thing is that if Fletcher starts posting that he drinks his own urinedfegad .........many of his devoted Fletcherites will start to do so as well.

Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Perhaps he's jumped the shark on this one?.....heh
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nobody said nice post fletcher or Fletcher rules lol1111omfg fletcher.

you dissapointing bastards you.

I drink my piss daily . Tell me what is wrong with it. Tell me. Also good for killing athletes foot.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

You edited out the grandmother line! That was the funniest thing I'd ever read! Don't lose your nerve here in the moan zone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search