The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I couldn't stand it!
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

I couldn't stand it!

***Moved from So Much Gear Forum by thread starter***

I stepped foot in a Guitar Center yesterday.

I have only been in there 3 times my whole life. I was there with a band to get some snakes and misc. gear for my friend's studio.

In the course of 30 minutes, I...

Heard a young dude behind the 'pro audio' counter explain that an Audix D6 is going to be an overall better bass drum mic than the D112...specifically sayin to the guy that he has never liked the D112 on anything.

Heard another pro audio guy get confused when a gentleman asked if they had 1/2 inch take up reels.

Witnessed my friend being told to NOT play this snare that he was going to buy because the drum department guy was busy showing somebody a drumkit.

Was blasted with this unsavory drone of bad guitar playing through bad amps by bad musicians.

Had to 'check' our 6 bags of stuff with a Good Charlotte looking kid who probably spent way too much time each morning tying to look cool and 'different'.

I could not see myself working at a store like that, esp on the weekends. My goodness.

With that being said, the manager we worked with was the cat's ass. He cut my friend a deal on cables. They didn't have all the snakes we needed so he gave us 50% off on the individual Live Wire cables to equal the amount of runs we needed. Spent more than he thought but got about $800 retail for around $440.

I salute anybody who works at those stores that isn't mindless.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

My do I have stories to tell about Guitar Center and Sam Ass.
But, of course, the ability of having a laughable experience at one of these places
is as simple as walking through the front door.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

FWIW I'd take an Audix D6 over a D112 for general bass drum duties as well. Does that make me an idiot?
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

That being said, Guitar Center does suck - Unless you find a salesguy that isn't clueless. GC will pricematch internet sites, and if you can develop a relationship with someone there it can be a great resource for gear that you need quickly. The big sales they do on Presidents day are also a great chance to get a killer price on high end gear (Mackie Control for $300, pair of Meyers for $1000, etc) that has been sitting in their wharehouse for over a year.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's amazing that no matter where you go, Guitar Center never changes. I think their enviornment breeds certain behaviors. Like playing "Enter sandman" badly on an Ibanez through a Crate amp. I was beginning to think that it was just this city. Apparently not.

I have gotten some good deals from guitar center, but only because I knew someone that was an assistant manager there. And for the most part, everyone I've ever met there that had a clue wasn't working there for long.

dfegad
Gutar Center (Where musicians go to die...)
Old 13th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh
Was blasted with this unsavory drone of bad guitar playing through bad amps by bad musicians.
This could be said of almost every music store on the planet - GC does not have an exclusive on this.

Quote:
Had to 'check' our 6 bags of stuff with a Good Charlotte looking kid who probably spent way too much time each morning tying to look cool and 'different'.
You'd of had to check your bags at Sam Ash Manhattan, too - though the person checking them may have looked like his night gig was being the doorman at CBGB's.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Nut

if you'd make your own cables you would have avoided all of that.
Old 13th June 2006
500 series nutjob

well i do not do Guitar Center, never even stepped foot in one, i have nothing against the D112, but i will say Audix mic's are sweet.
very good build quality and very good sounding.
i do not care for Guitar Center and i do understand what you are saying, thats way i do not care to visit a Guitar Center.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanColson
FWIW I'd take an Audix D6 over a D112 for general bass drum duties as well. Does that make me an idiot?
To each their own. I am not against the D6, as I have used it over the D112 many times for metal bands I work with.

Why made me comment about the cat behind the counter was that his sales tactics were a little lame. I would guess that the margin for an Audix is probably more than a D112.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dawg
if you'd make your own cables you would have avoided all of that.
Not when I am helping somebody else spend their money. It's easier to point to a wall of retail cords then sit in a basement for a couple days and solder. Also, the store bought stuff is guarenteed for life...in store exchange. I couldn't say that about my soldering skills.

I look at the whole experience as a karma thing. I must have pissed off the gods of rock sometime last week or so.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
This could be said of almost every music store on the planet - GC does not have an exclusive on this.

Yeah, but I come from a small town where you have a small store with maybe 1 or 2 kids making racket. The larger stores increase the insanity. So, in that regard, the DO have something over the smaller guys that is unsavory.

Quote:
You'd of had to check your bags at Sam Ash Manhattan, too - though the person checking them may have looked like his night gig was being the doorman at CBGB's.
I guess I shouldn't talk. I was in 2 day old jeans, rock n roll t shirt, hadn't shaved in 5 days. He probably thought similar things about me:

('look at that dude, trying to look 'not cool. probably takes him twice as long to look scruffy as it does me to look rock)
heh
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR
My do I have stories to tell about Guitar Center and Sam Ass.
But, of course, the ability of having a laughable experience at one of these places
is as simple as walking through the front door.
I watched somebody play 'Jessica' for about 5 mins. He didn't see me watch him. He was too busy perfecting his rock face.

I remember going to this one store back home...waiting for my friend to try the BOSS/DOD pedal display. Grrr. Being a drummer, I never had the luxury of bangin on a kit in a store unless it was after hours.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Just a note...

It's not always the big stores.

My friend and I have been looking for a 6.5" Supraphonic for awhile. He goes to this local drum shop and asks if they have any. They have new 6.5" chrome over brass Ludwigs and the guy told my friend this was what he was looking for. Buddy mentioned that he was looking for essentially the Bonham snare, steel version. Guy behind the counter said this was the Bonham snare. Buddy told the guy no, Bonham never played a chrome over brass. Guy insisted he did. Buddy said no.

Guy behind counter, rather than admitting the customer is always right (which in this case my friend WAS) kept trying to argue with said friend.

Friend left and ordered snare from an online company without the GC initials.

Elitist attitude from my friend? Possibly. But, you don't mess with fact and if you are a clerk, you better know what you are talking about or admit that you might not know for sure.
Old 14th June 2006
500 series nutjob

i think even the few small local shop's have gone the way of cheap gear, fast buck, and no pay resulting in ignorant employees and owners that are just pushing what they have.
i do not totally blame the small shop's, it is as much the consumer that has caused this as anything.
to many customers us the nice has a place to try out gear that will eventually go on line and purchase, yet expect the dealer to service.
many customers do not place any value on service and do not feel the need to support it.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

i think if your know what your looking for and your not a complete dick
consumer or sales person
you can work at guitar center and purchase from guitar center-
and everything can be dandy and nice-

now if either the consumer or sales person has that 'in the audio world' attitude
then your absolutely ****ed! the case with the snare and kick mic...

but then again its all opinion guys..
i know some engineers that like sennheiser md421's on kicks and i've seen other engineers laugh at that-and then quickly shut up when they heard the drum sound-

just dont' be a prick-work for the better not the worse-you can always take **** back and get something else! haha
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Addict

Tobias Guitars in Downers Grove (I believe) Illinois represents one of the last of
the amazing customer experience. He'll do a setup at an hourly price. Meaning, he'll give you the works, and charge you about two or three bucks per guitar.

Elderly is one of the larger cats I like to deal with.

I just bought a Phoenix DRS from Mercenary Audio. I paid online, got an e-mail notification, no problem.

Sweetwater, on the other hand, well....
If you're staying out of state for a year, never make the mistake of using your father's home as a permanent address. Otherwise, you'll find him befuddled into thinking you've stolen his money, whilst finding yourself explaining to your bank that you did not try stealing money from your own personal bank account.

Guitar Center, Sam's Ass? I could write a 20,000 page trilogy.
Old 27th June 2006
20,000 pages is as least a quadrogy.

I was in our local Guitar Center today and out of desperation picked up some (certainly overpriced) Mogami cables, but the sales dude was hip enough that suddenly the mic stands I was carrying around were 2 for 1... I don't think you can really argue with that kind of sensitive, caring salesmanship, no sir.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search