The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help newcomers now Pt Le is very bad
Old 16th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx View Post
i will give you that-digidesign makes you buy everything...but you can't be so hard on pro tools-people are using it for a reason
because it came out at a time when there was nothing comparable??

I was wondering the reason for this. I am very glad my type of work(classical/location work) does not force me to use it, that I can choose my own DAW. (sequoia/samplitude in my case).

why is it a standard? I know I do not see it here in Germany much at all, and not a single client has asked for it or even about it. I do hear about Pyramix and SADIE along with Sequoia and Samplitude, but not PT. Maybe it is a genre thing.

Pingu is a good guy, just a little cheeky. heh All those years of SAW Studio got him a bit loopy.
Old 17th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Best Audio Gear:

Guitars and Basses: Fender
Mics: Shure
DAW: Pro Tools

Best Truck: Ford
Best Wife: Mine
Best Dog: Corgi
Best Cat: No such thing!

..... oh and yes, my dad CAN beat up your dad!

bilco
Old 19th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco View Post
Best Audio Gear:

Guitars and Basses: Fender
Mics: Shure
DAW: Pro Tools

Best Truck: Ford
Best Wife: Mine
Best Dog: Corgi
Best Cat: No such thing!

..... oh and yes, my dad CAN beat up your dad!

bilco

As an ex-professional dog walker... I've never met a corgi I wanted to take home for my own. Maybe I've just had bad luck with the breed.

Cats? Some of my cleanest roomates have been cats.

EDIT: I'm sure this all seems bias as I have a cat for an avatar. I like em both for their different qualities.
Old 19th August 2006
Gear Nut

Just my two pennies...

I find PT fine where I work, where we are using LE for VO, Video Game and Radio work. Rarely do we need more than about 16 tracks (actually we rarely use more than 2 or 3), we don't use a lot of simultaneous effects, etc...It's a wonderful tool for editting, and pretty strong (and fairly intuitive) for mixing.

The question is what are you using it for? At home when I'm writing, I [/I]hate[/I] it. Somehow it gets in the way of my workflow. I know it seems it should be simple enough...set up your mics, arm and record...but I use a lot of production in my writing, and LE tends to take me out of my creative mode where Logic (or Cubase to a lesser degree) just lets me create, rapidly, while the ideas are coming.

Engineering? PT is still standard for a reason and I wish every piece of DAW software could edit and mix the way PT does. Writing/Creating/Composing? I don't like it. Give me Logic, Ableton, or a half-dozen other programs that let me create and then engineer instead of the other way around.

-Zen
Old 19th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymakestapes View Post
As an ex-professional dog walker... I've never met a corgi I wanted to take home for my own. Maybe I've just had bad luck with the breed.

EDIT: I'm sure this all seems bias as I have a cat for an avatar. I like em both for their different qualities.
Ouch!! Actually, as much as I love these 2 dogs, they are too smart for their own good, very manipulative and headstrong. Not good around small children at all, not good around other dogs at all and the only dog I've known who smells worse was a Bassett! .....but I love 'em anyway!

and I actually really like one of our two cats, the other one though......

bilco
Old 19th August 2006
Lives for gear

I've been using M-powered with no issues so far.

PT is easier for me to get around on also but I chalk that up to years and years of use.

If I were starting out now and trying to put together a rig I'd probably look into Nuendo as a point of comparison, especially if most projects were going to be finished in house.

Ultimately, who gives a ****? If you don't like PT, don't ****ing use it. LE or no. Quit bitching about it and make ****ing records. I've heard guys with an M-Box who make great sounding demos and guys with HD who put out crap. The debate is stupid.

As mentioned earlier, PT is a nearly universal format that you should at least be familiar with.
Old 22nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymakestapes View Post

I have a Weimaraner that thinks he's a cat. I think he's channeling a cat that lived around here years ago.

He hates PTLE too.
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I have a Weimaraner that thinks he's a cat. I think he's channeling a cat that lived around here years ago.

He hates PTLE too.
.....I always knew those were mean dogs! I suppose he likes Logic, since he thinks he's a cat.....
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Exclamation

Pro Tools LE is perfect for what I do. Very minor issues here and there but EVERY DAW has that.

PT 7.3 has caught up to the other DAWS as far as midi is concerned and it's ashame because bad midi and Pro Tools will unfortunately still be synominous with each other for a long time to come.

Fact is... now... PT might be even with other DAWs as far as midi's concerned but just about every other aspect of PT simply outclasses it's competition.

My only gripes concerning PT LE would be:

1. We need automatic delay compensation PRONTO.
2. We need automatic delay compensation yesterday.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search