The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
i really want a nord stage 2, but...
Old 20th June 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
i really want a nord stage 2, but...

the price!!!!

for $3500 usd, you could get a pretty nice 2nd hand yamaha 52 inch upright piano.... properly maintained, that piano will hold its price and maybe go u a little bit in 10 yrs...

or, you could get a vintage analog synth, (jupiter, minimoog) and that price will probably skyrocket in the next couple of years...

i will not doubt that the nord stage 2 is a much more versatile instrument than any of those.... BUT...

all clavia has to do (and certainly will do) is double the memory in the "nord stage 3" and the value of this current model will be cut almost in half...

i know ppl say don't buy gear as an investment, but, if the ship starts sinking, its always nice to know that u can get SOME of ur money back...

on the one hand, i have serious gear lust... on the other hand, ppl lusted over mac g3's at one time...
Old 21st June 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 

If it's something you'll gig with, then it is a good investment. Its resale value may not be as high as an upright, or a vintage analog synth...but as you said, it's more versatile, more reliable, and compared to the upright especially, easier to get to a gig.
Old 21st June 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

I want to be six inches taller!
Also a MiniMoog!
But the price. Make your current gear sound good. Gear does not make success. Good songwriting does and the rest will follow.
Old 21st June 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
I want to be six inches taller!
Also a MiniMoog!
But the price. Make your current gear sound good. Gear does not make success. Good songwriting does and the rest will follow.
verve92... telling a gearslut "be happy w the gear you have" is like telling a real slut, "be happy w the guy you already have..."

sound advice, but who's listening?
Old 22nd June 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
verve92... telling a gearslut "be happy w the gear you have" is like telling a real slut, "be happy w the guy you already have..."

sound advice, but who's listening?
Nobody is listening like I don't listen! LOL
Just like telling an alcoholic don't drink. I get it.
Just trying to soften the facts.
Now how am I gonna get friggin Oberheim!?
Old 22nd June 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
synthoid's Avatar
 

I just picked up a Nord stage 2 (HA76). It really is expensive, and on the other hand it gives me a 76-key hammer action with good piano and ep sounds, along with my own samples in flash memory, in a bag that I can easily put in a taxi, etc. It's well thought-out for a gigging musician, in terms of features and construction. How expensive it turns out to be depends on how much you gig with it I guess. In the studio it seems a lot less compelling -- you can get to the same result with a hammer action controller of some kind and the right vsts/samples/etc. Not to say that I won't use it when recording, but I don't think it would have occurred to me to buy one if it were primarily for studio use.

-synthoid
Old 22nd June 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I just picked up a Nord stage 2 (HA76). It really is expensive, and on the other hand it gives me a 76-key hammer action with good piano and ep sounds, along with my own samples in flash memory, in a bag that I can easily put in a taxi, etc. It's well thought-out for a gigging musician, in terms of features and construction. How expensive it turns out to be depends on how much you gig with it I guess. In the studio it seems a lot less compelling -- you can get to the same result with a hammer action controller of some kind and the right vsts/samples/etc. Not to say that I won't use it when recording, but I don't think it would have occurred to me to buy one if it were primarily for studio use.

-synthoid
synthoid... that is a spot on analysis, and i could probably be happier, in the studio, w. komplete and my electro...

yet still, the g.a.s. rises....
Old 9th February 2013
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
DJKeys's Avatar
Stage 2

I have a Yamaha U3 Upright Polished Ebony I bought for $2000 in 1994. I could sell it for twice that now, but I won't.

I also have a Nord Stage 2 SW73 which I bought so I could bring a single keyboard to my classic rock band gigs. It is one of the best musical investments I have ever made.

With good programming, you can do anything that is required for most types of music, it weighs 20 lbs and is built like a tank. Sure, they are expensive, but they are unique in their approach to producing great sounds quickly on stage. The live patch buffers allow real-time tweaking of 5 different sounds, and not only that, they will be exactly as you left them next time you turn on the unit.

It does not have the resale panache of a real piano, but it definitely at the higher end of Pro keyboard gear.

-dj
Old 7th July 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Wow, bumping this thread from 7 yrs ago.

I did buy a Nord Stage 2, it was my best keyboard investment ever, and now I'm looking to sell it and buy the Stage 3, which sure enough does have double th memory.

HOWEVER, I think I can get considerably more than $1750 for it, since the Stage 3 is $4500!
Old 24th July 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
Wow, bumping this thread from 7 yrs ago.

I did buy a Nord Stage 2, it was my best keyboard investment ever, and now I'm looking to sell it and buy the Stage 3, which sure enough does have double th memory.

HOWEVER, I think I can get considerably more than $1750 for it, since the Stage 3 is $4500!
I got a Stage 2 HA76 in April ($2500 incl VAT and softcase). Love the action, the immediacy of all the controls. I just use it for the pianos and the action, but it gets about as much play as my Kronos 61.

I don't like TP100 action, gotta be TP40.. Stage 2 is good enough for me, I've managed to squeeze in the Bosie, Silver, White, Lady. I like layering 2 pianos at a time, hard panned left and right.

You sure you want to go from TP40 to TP100?
Old 28th July 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I got a Stage 2 HA76 in April ($2500 incl VAT and softcase). Love the action, the immediacy of all the controls. I just use it for the pianos and the action, but it gets about as much play as my Kronos 61.

I don't like TP100 action, gotta be TP40.. Stage 2 is good enough for me, I've managed to squeeze in the Bosie, Silver, White, Lady. I like layering 2 pianos at a time, hard panned left and right.

You sure you want to go from TP40 to TP100?
I'll be getting the 88 and my understanding is it's the same TP40 that's in the Stage 2.
Old 29th July 2019
  #12
If you want it, get it.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Got it!

Nord Stage 2 was great, this is even better. Synth section is amazing, the whole thing is taken up a notch.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
Got it!

Nord Stage 2 was great, this is even better. Synth section is amazing, the whole thing is taken up a notch.
Congratz! Everyone's raving about the White Grand, check it out. NS2 synth section has some good points, like FM basses, but I bet the NS3 synth is next level...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Congratz! Everyone's raving about the White Grand, check it out. NS2 synth section has some good points, like FM basses, but I bet the NS3 synth is next level...
Yep, I've got the White Grand installed, it's very very good.

The NS3 88 keyboard is somehow a little different than the NS2 (even though they're both Fatar, maybe they're calibrated a little differently) but I actually prefer it now.

Also, the ability to run samples through the A1 engine, plus the nice OLED, it's very nice.

I don't see myself upgrading from this one to an NS4 if they ever release one. This does pretty much everything that can be asked from a single (non workstation) keyboard.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Addict
 
shalimo's Avatar
 

I have the stage 2, probably my last nord. I love the the infinite sound possibilities that it offers. My favorite is the free sound library section on their web site. I could of swear back in the days they had more sampled instruments available. My mistake for not downloading everything.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
Super satisfied with my NS2 HA76.

I never thought a Nord would be my fix
Years ago, I thought they were overpriced and overrated

Still don't care for the specs of the other Nord models

88 keys too long/bulky to gig for part time pianist
SW key needs already filled (K61)
Had to have TP40
Super curious about the famed Nord pianos
Sometimes I just want to play piano, no fuss

But we all have different needs/wants
Hope your Nord delivers on what you want
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump