The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Engineer for a Major Studio: exposing the truth about this awful lifestyle
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Oh my! You say there were mice in the studio? And a musician puked on a couch?? And there were some bad channels on the console?? And it involved long hours for little pay??? We had no idea these kinds of things went on in the recording industry. It's a wonder you survived it.

DP
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

I heard people like to drink alcohol in Greenland from the age of 9 years old.
I thought you where from LA California the way you described your story.
Because it does sound like an early 80s rock band stroies.
I like what Gyang said, There's good an Bad stories.

The main reason for me posting here.
Sorry for being so dumb, but who's the Girl in the picture echo Unit.

Ps. Zwinter understand your problems a little.
The lawn business would be bad in Greenland I would think.

Come on people, lets get positive now. bye
Old 30th May 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

If you let people treat you with disrespect, who's fault is it really ???

Give people an inch and they'll take a mile.

R E S P E C T

yourself and others

Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I guess Greenland just isn't what it's stacked up to be.

-R
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
I guess Greenland just isn't what it's stacked up to be.

-R
Well, the whole place is sort of a lie to begin with, ain't it? I mean, it's not really green at all is it? And those deceptive Vikings! They called the warm island "Iceland" and the icy island "Greenland", to sort of throw people off. They didn't want their wives to know they were kidnapping Europe's most beautiful women and hiding them in Iceland, where they basked in the hot springs with those honeys!heh
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah yeah whatever Echo. Let's talk about the girl in your avatar.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Order in the Court! Order in the Court!

No more more outburst or you will be removed from the courtroom. Baliff, please show the gentleman in the back out.

Now Echounit, please tell us about your paper route days. And yes, the girl in the avatar? Someone on the paper route?
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

I, for one, appreciated the good read, whatever the message. I found a true spirit face to face with life's realities.

I know nothing about work in a big time studio. But I know something about work in other big time areas. The talent might be there, just not the talent to get along with the circumstances.

Soon hitting 45. Home recordist. Have a good day time job. Sitting in this chair every free hour. Enjoying it very much. But belly's growing.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
But belly's growing.
Join the club!

Isn't echo's avatar that tennis player girl, Kornikova?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
The industry is a funny place and maxing out my slary at $10/hour when I am a 45 years old, live with my parents and develop a beer gut sitting on my ass all day, staying at the studio after my session is long over at 3:00 am and watching late night television infomercials with Tony Robbins by myself, while I eat the client's leftovers from the takeout dinner 7 hours ago because I have no life or money and no friends is a sure way to waste a perfectly good opportunity to do life better.

This is what being an engineer for a major studio is like form the hourses mouth.

I am not bitter or mad. Just trying to establish some realism for you dreamers out there. I have my own studio now that I share with a friend and I love what I do and my life too.
echo unit, I try to understand you, but it's a little difficult. If what you are saying is actually true you need to get some perspective on things. You paint up a really bad picture of what it means to work in a big studio, but you are describing what it means to work in a big bad studio. Have you ever thought about that perspective? When I read your post I thought for myself, if I would be that echo unit guy I would simply stop going there, it would be perfect waste of life to day after day go into such an environment... If you have become stuck in there I can imagine that you have NOT been positively influenced by it all and you REALLY need to stop working there NO MATTER WHAT... You know, it's not meant that you should feel like this about something you love... To hell with that big damn studio...

Big studios CAN be AWESOME as well...!
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Oh, and by the way, get a freaking bottle of Fabreze, a damp sponge, and clean that damn sofa! Not that hard! Takes about 15 minutes. Then bring a fan over and let it blow on the couch for an hour to dry it out.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter
They called the warm island "Iceland" and the icy island "Greenland", to sort of throw people off.
mmm, yeah, It´s really warm here..
I feel for poor Echo Unit though..

I wonder if there is a really big studio in Greenland.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Echo unit,

It's none of my business really, but it sounds to me like you've got a lot going on that you could use to talk over with someone else. Like maybe some bad work experiences, maybe some other stuff. There are folks who are good at listening and might be able to help get you pointed in a good direction. Most probably in your city you can find some folks like this to talk to -- you should look into it, it would do you good. You take your problems to a public forum like this looking for sympathy, you're just gonna get beat up. You need to talk face to face with someone who can help you.

-synthoid
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like Thai food...
Old 30th May 2006
500 series nutjob

i like vodka!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i wonder if you can get good mexican food in greenland?

i smell a business oppurtunity....
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

To Echo... oh King Of Trolls...

No... but seriously. Did you ever for a minute stop to think that the troubles you have in life/work are because of you? In life... people will almost always treat you in a way that is directly related to the way you treat them.

Take a look in that mirror bro. If your real life persona is ANYTHING like your online persona.... I wouldn't want you to work in my studio either.... and I am a very open-minded person.

To quote a long time favorite weirdo of mine..... "You do it yourself, yeah you.... you and no one else.... you do it to yourself"....

My experiences in big studios and in the music industry in general have been the exact opposite of yours... so... we must be working in different studios...

Just my 2 cents of course...
Old 30th May 2006
Quote:
The following post contains details of my own expereince and facts about how the music industry operates from one man's expereince...

You're one fine lookin' man, Echo Unit.
Old 30th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
To Echo... oh King Of Trolls...

No... but seriously. Did you ever for a minute stop to think that the troubles you have in life/work are because of you? In life... people will almost always treat you in a way that is directly related to the way you treat them.

Take a look in that mirror bro. If your real life persona is ANYTHING like your online persona.... I wouldn't want you to work in my studio either.... and I am a very open-minded person.

To quote a long time favorite weirdo of mine..... "You do it yourself, yeah you.... you and no one else.... you do it to yourself"....

My experiences in big studios and in the music industry in general have been the exact opposite of yours... so... we must be working in different studios...

Just my 2 cents of course...
oh King Of Trolls,heh
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear
GOOD studios don't have several channels on their Neve that don't work.

and good studios don't leave them there waiting to get fixed 'sometime'.

and if I ran into this condition in a studio I was using, I certainly wouldn't "not mention it" as a service to the studio and the evil recording industry.

As a work of fiction though, I DO think it's on par with Catcher In The Rye... as in, utter bollocks.

ps full balance engineers were getting paid $500 a week plus overtime in 1975 in "major" studios in NYC.

Freelancers were routinely paid 15% of the hourly or daily rate.

That whole system is gone now because there are so FEW in-house engineers used anymore.

Hardly anyone goes into a major studio in the pop/rock/country world and uses the house engineer... producers come with their guys in tow.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

mmm, yeah, It´s really warm here..
I feel for poor Echo Unit though..

Hey, to the Vikings, it was Miami Beach!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

I've had a lot of jobs. Some of the same types of things happened at these places as what you mentioned. None of the jobs I had had anything to do with recording, audio or entertainment. Welcome to life. Glad to hear you're doing what you want now.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Echo hav'nt you heard of revenge. I would've caught and slaughtered one of those rats and superglued it under his office desk, after a month or so he may have found it. Cheer up! You need a Mchappy Meal.
Old 31st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
All the engineer-philosophers are losing their edge.

HEY!
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

What's wrong with a little vomit.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis
What's wrong with a little vomit.
Well, vomit if you like to, I don't like it and I won't vomit unless it's due to a disease...
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Cool

Quote:
The industry is a funny place and maxing out my slary at $10/hour when I am a 45 years old, live with my parents and develop a beer gut sitting on my ass all day, staying at the studio after my session is long over at 3:00 am and watching late night television infomercials with Tony Robbins by myself, while I eat the client's leftovers from the takeout dinner 7 hours ago because I have no life or money and no friends is a sure way to waste a perfectly good opportunity to do life better.

This is what being an engineer for a major studio is like form the hourses mouth.

I am not bitter or mad. Just trying to establish some realism for you dreamers out there. I have my own studio now that I share with a friend and I love what I do and my life too.

Great to hear you have your own studio, now.
Maybe its just me, but, a major studio should definitely be paying an engineer more than 10$/hour...

Ben
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=hallmanstudio a major studio should definitely be paying an engineer more than 10$/hour...

Ben[/QUOTE]

maybe but they don't...going rate for an assitant at the top studios in LA seems to be 12.00/hr.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
GOOD studios don't have several channels on their Neve that don't work.

and good studios don't leave them there waiting to get fixed 'sometime'.

and if I ran into this condition in a studio I was using, I certainly wouldn't "not mention it" as a service to the studio and the evil recording industry.
Hi William,

I would ordinarily be the first to agree with you, but I don't think there are really many good studios left. On our side of the pond most of the larger facilities have closed and the going rate for for Neve/SSL style rooms is £400-600 a day if they can get it. Personally I know one studio owner who has shut a major facility and is selling the place off as it is worth more as real estate. I also saw a VR60 advertised for £30,000 here, is this a new record low?

I have seen on several occasions studios charging stupidly low rates in order to keep some turnover. Of course this kept them busy until they end up getting their gear worn out. Not earning enough they let the maintainance slip, and everybody moves onto the next studio and the same thing happens. Its a sad fact, but the industry has suffered greatly, and I think it still has some way to go before we see any real recovery.

regards to all

Roland
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear
All that may be true, at least somewhat... but that doesn't describe life in a "major studio"...

only in a studio in its last throes.

all the channels in the desks work at AIR.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search