The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Full Sail Graduates Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th May 2006
  #1
Gear Head
 
FSPirate's Avatar
 

Question Full Sail Graduates

First off, I do realize that this topic doesn't come anywhere close to belonging in the "high end gear" forum, but I couldn't see it fitting in with "low end theory" or "mastering forum", either. However, I've come to trust the opinions of my fellow Gearslutterz, and therefore decided this was the website on which to pose my question.

I've already shot myself in the foot on this forum by mentioning that I am a FullSail student about to graduate, so I see no harm in mentioning it again. My big question, though, is why do I only hear negative stories about FullSail graduates? Believe me, I know there are some students here who have no people skills, minimal technical understanding, and a third grade vocabulary, yet are still somehow passing and are about to graduate. It's either a miracle or a tragedy, depending on your point of view. However, some of my classmates are good people and really know their stuff. I shudder to think that the entire industry distrusts the schooling we paid so much for, and worked so hard to get through. Is our reputatin really so bad that it handicaps the good students as well?

I've seen many negative references to FullSail graduates, and I'm just dying of curiousity over this question: Has anyone got a good story about a FullSailer? I'm not asking you to share them, persay, I'd just like a little reassurance that I didn't pay all this money for an education that comes with a purely terrible reputation.

So, in summary, my questions are:

Has anyone got a good story about a FullSail graduate?

Is our reputatin really so bad that it handicaps the good students as well?
If that is so, what can we do to quickly dispel this? Some of us will work hard no matter what, but if we can do something to beat the repuation a little sooner, we'll work hard at that, too.
Old 30th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSPirate
First off, I do realize that this topic doesn't come anywhere close to belonging in the "high end gear" forum, but I couldn't see it fitting in with "low end theory" or "mastering forum", either. However, I've come to trust the opinions of my fellow Gearslutterz, and therefore decided this was the website on which to pose my question.

I've already shot myself in the foot on this forum by mentioning that I am a FullSail student about to graduate, so I see no harm in mentioning it again. My big question, though, is why do I only hear negative stories about FullSail graduates? Believe me, I know there are some students here who have no people skills, minimal technical understanding, and a third grade vocabulary, yet are still somehow passing and are about to graduate. It's either a miracle or a tragedy, depending on your point of view. However, some of my classmates are good people and really know their stuff. I shudder to think that the entire industry distrusts the schooling we paid so much for, and worked so hard to get through. Is our reputatin really so bad that it handicaps the good students as well?

I've seen many negative references to FullSail graduates, and I'm just dying of curiousity over this question: Has anyone got a good story about a FullSailer? I'm not asking you to share them, persay, I'd just like a little reassurance that I didn't pay all this money for an education that comes with a purely terrible reputation.

So, in summary, my questions are:

Has anyone got a good story about a FullSail graduate?

Is our reputatin really so bad that it handicaps the good students as well?
If that is so, what can we do to quickly dispel this? Some of us will work hard no matter what, but if we can do something to beat the repuation a little sooner, we'll work hard at that, too.
I wouldn't sweat it. Education is a personal thing. You get out of it what you put into it. At the end of the day, it's you're abilities that will get you booked, not some FS diploma.
Old 30th May 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
popmann's Avatar
Quote:
My big question, though, is why do I only hear negative stories about FullSail graduates?
Because there are only negative stories to tell?

That school is the scum of the earth. They take huge money for very little actual knowledge...run it 24/7 in order to fit in more students-yet call it "real world schedule training" or some ****.
Old 30th May 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

I personaly know 2 fullsail graduates who won grammys for engineering. Let me know if one of the fullsail pissers in this forum won one. And then we will talk.

I´m a fullsail graduate myself, haven´t won crap but i´m personaly annoyed buy the anti fullsail **** said around here.

Everything is people skills my friend, that is not learned at fullsail or anywhere else but home.

Fullsail prepares you to be an awesome assistant. Thats all. I know you understand that. If you are a good guy, you will do well with or without the education. The ones who piss over education are a bunch of loosers so don´t listen to them : )
Old 30th May 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann
Because there are only negative stories to tell?

That school is the scum of the earth. They take huge money for very little actual knowledge...run it 24/7 in order to fit in more students-yet call it "real world schedule training" or some ****.
F$%· U popmann : )
Old 30th May 2006
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSPirate
I know there are some students here who have no people skills, minimal technical understanding, and a third grade vocabulary, yet are still somehow passing and are about to graduate.
you answered your question right there. most of the people there fit in that category. i didnt get my job because of my fs diploma. also didnt get my job from placement. honestly i dont know anyone who did get a job from placement. i think the reason full sail gets a bad rep is the employers fault. some of the stories i hear make me wonder how they got a job. now i think its because the employers didnt interview them well enough to know they got one of the idiots until its too late. and even though i have a job in a studio i still get **** for being from full sail.
Old 30th May 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSPirate
First off, I do realize that this topic doesn't come anywhere close to belonging in the "high end gear" forum, but I couldn't see it fitting in with "low end theory" or "mastering forum", either. However, I've come to trust the opinions of my fellow Gearslutterz, and therefore decided this was the website on which to pose my question.

I've already shot myself in the foot on this forum by mentioning that I am a FullSail student about to graduate, so I see no harm in mentioning it again. My big question, though, is why do I only hear negative stories about FullSail graduates? Believe me, I know there are some students here who have no people skills, minimal technical understanding, and a third grade vocabulary, yet are still somehow passing and are about to graduate. It's either a miracle or a tragedy, depending on your point of view. However, some of my classmates are good people and really know their stuff. I shudder to think that the entire industry distrusts the schooling we paid so much for, and worked so hard to get through. Is our reputatin really so bad that it handicaps the good students as well?

I've seen many negative references to FullSail graduates, and I'm just dying of curiousity over this question: Has anyone got a good story about a FullSailer? I'm not asking you to share them, persay, I'd just like a little reassurance that I didn't pay all this money for an education that comes with a purely terrible reputation.

So, in summary, my questions are:

Has anyone got a good story about a FullSail graduate?

Is our reputatin really so bad that it handicaps the good students as well?
If that is so, what can we do to quickly dispel this? Some of us will work hard no matter what, but if we can do something to beat the repuation a little sooner, we'll work hard at that, too.
Its probably for the same reason you only hear largely negative news stories. Very few people write about it when things go well, but people LOVE to bitch when they can make themselves seem important by putting down someone else.

Also, there are many great, knowledgeable people here, but allot are wanna bee's that talk out their ass, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt until you know what your reading. Any school is just an acorn, whether it grows into a tree is up to the student.
Old 30th May 2006
  #8
Gear Head
 
FSPirate's Avatar
 

Well, I've never even considered the possibility of my degree "getting me a job". I've never even thought of bragging about being from a particular school. All I wanted from Full Sail was training in the software, gear, and whatever other technical skills they have imparted to me. The rest is up to me.

I just want to know what sort of battles I'm going to have to fight when, early in my career, I have to put Full Sail on my resume (if any, that is).
Old 30th May 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

the assitant I met at Encore in Burbank went to full sail and he seems to be on his **** and well liked.
Old 30th May 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Stick it on there. People will know if your worth a lick of salt or not. It's nice to show people that your sierous enough to attend the BEST recording school in the country.

F*k em if they don't like it.

I had a great time there, and would go again. Sure, there were a lot of dumbasses in school with me, but if your there to learn, THERE IS AN INSANE AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE TO BE HAD. You just have to look for it.

I didn't win a grammy personally, but worked on a record that won a grammy. I recorded the vocals, and it won a grammy for best female pop vocalist.

I think it was one of the best things I've ever done, and would do it again in a heart beat.

The industry "didn't beat me up" because of it either. It was quite different. A lot of people know what that school holds, and if you prove to be competent they will hold it in high regards. Some people are a$$holes and will complain about anything and everything. Can't please everyone.
Old 30th May 2006
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSPirate
All I wanted from Full Sail was training in the software, gear, and whatever other technical skills they have imparted to me. The rest is up to me.

I just want to know what sort of battles I'm going to have to fight when, early in my career, I have to put Full Sail on my resume (if any, that is).
definately you can learn SO MUCH at FS if you focus on your school work. dont worry, you can put it on your resume. people know that though there is more useless people than great that come out of that school, there is potential. in my interviews the second i mention fs they go on to tell me stories of idiots they worked with that came from full sail and then look to me for an answer as to why thats not me. as long as you know your **** it will show. dont worry. and its always always always about your people skills, determination and interest in recording as opposed to how much knowledge you have.
Old 30th May 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

i prefer aspiring engineers that have gone to Audio school. It takes Less training to get them up to speed. A grasp on the fundamentals is a beautiful thing.thumbsup
Old 30th May 2006
  #13
Gear Head
 
FSPirate's Avatar
 

All in all, I'd say this thread has been pretty uplifting. Full Sail spends so much time telling us how in demand its students are that we all think to ourselves at some point, "I bet that's total BS." Then you start hearing here and there about FS actually having a terrible reputation and no one will really hire you, and THEN you think to yourself, "AH HA! THE TRUTH IS FOUND!"

I suppose it's actually somewhere in the middle, as with most two sided stories. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 30th May 2006
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
craigdouglas's Avatar
 

education is what you make of it. the fs program is a very good program, but its just the basics. the problem is that a good amount of graduates get out and think they are professionals right away. very cocky.... i dont know of anyone that would hire an engineer out of any school,but bands think that school is amazing. so tell them how smart you are and do records. no school will get you a producer job, but the band can.. sometimes..
Old 30th May 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Slaytex's Avatar
 

I'm a FS grad. and I have both positive and negative feelings for that school. For what it's worth I had a pretty good understanding about audio engineering before attending FS. I found it somewhat hard to learn in class because the classes were so packed and there were a lot dumbasses that were at the school that basically wanted a 2 yr. degree in 1 yr. I thought I was paying for more than I was getting, but I tried to make the best of it. Did I learn anything from FS? Yes, although I learned a lot more by taking my instructors out for a few beers next door at the Ale House and asking about their experiences. It's been about 4 years now and I'm doing pretty well for myself. I've got zero debt, have a good full-time job with full benefits, I'm married and just bought a house and have a pretty nice recording rig that I use at multiple studios around here on the side. My advice to anyone who is looking to go down the education route is this: Spend all you're free time on this board and read/participate every post you can on the forums. Get a good book like Yamaha's sound reinforcement and study on basic signal flow, then talk to a local studio and be a persistent little **** until you can land a internship. You will learn more in a month at a real studio than FS can teach you from a book or a PT rig at lab time in 1 yr. I don't regret my FS education at all, but you have to work hard and ask questions as much as possible and if you're lucky you might just walk away with a $40,000 education, but when you work in a real studio you'll get a "Real World Education".
I hope this helps.
Old 30th May 2006
  #16
Gear Addict
 
Brandino221's Avatar
 

Well, I think people talk bad about the school for a few reasons. 1...it's not really accredited. They say they are however, they are not regionally accredited by sacs. So if you want to transfer your credits or get a masters you can't. NO state school in Florida will accept a Full Sail degree. As far as I know....no State school in the USA will accept a Full Sail degree.

The other reason is....they hire Full Sail grads to teach at the school. Not all the teachers there have any real world experiance.

This is what I know. I am not trying to talk bad about the school. I am just saying what I know. I know there are some people who have gone there that have done great! And I also know there are some teachers there that know alot. I have a fried that works there and he is a very smart guy. But I have heard from people I know that have gone there...that have said there are some "teachers" there that don't belong there. But as long as you can give them the money...they will take you as a student wich can make things bad. Not everyone should be accepted. It's school...it's serious.

Peace.
Old 30th May 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Slaytex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandino221
Not everyone should be accepted. It's school...it's serious.

Peace.
That sums it up perfect! There are a lot of good engineers at FS but there are 20 **** engineers for every good one. The problem is that FS is a business not a real school. They own the entire damn town of Winter Park practically so When you buy you're beer at the Ale House next door they get you're money, same for the grocery store and the 6 apartments in the area which they will gladly recommend to you. They are snakes in the grass if you ask me. I'm not trying to piss on FS, but you would be wise to look at alternative froms of education to get into this industry. Just walk in any studio in town drop $10,000 and say I want to sit in the corner for the next 3 months and make you're coffee while you record people.
Good luck to you all.
Old 30th May 2006
  #18
Gear Addict
 
Brandino221's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex
That sums it up perfect! There are a lot of good engineers at FS but there are 20 **** engineers for every good one. The problem is that FS is a business not a real school. They own the entire damn town of Winter Park practically so When you buy you're beer at the Ale House next door they get you're money, same for the grocery store and the 6 apartments in the area which they will gladly recommend to you. They are snakes in the grass if you ask me. I'm not trying to piss on FS, but you would be wise to look at alternative froms of education to get into this industry. Just walk in any studio in town drop $10,000 and say I want to sit in the corner for the next 3 months and make you're coffee while you record people.
Good luck to you all.
I know that SAE is a nice school. You can get a degree from Middlesex University in the UK. A real degree! Or just find a good school in the US. Make sure it's is accredited by the same accreditation as the state schools in your state. That way you cn go anywhere from there if you want to get a masters. Or even if you want to get a biz degree after that. You don't have to take all the BS classes. It's the right thing to do. Any fast way to get going always has a downside.

Old 30th May 2006
  #19
Gear Addict
 
simonv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex
Just walk in any studio in town drop $10,000 and say I want to sit in the corner for the next 3 months and make you're coffee while you record people.
Good luck to you all.

That's what I think too.
I don't know how much it costs to study at Full Sail, but the audio schools here in Montreal are around 15-18k for a one-year course. That's a LOT of gear-money that goes down the drain if you ask me.

I think that if you:
- know your way around computers
- have done a couple shows
- have been in a studio before
- grasp the basic concepts of recording (microphones pick up the sound, etc heh)
- know how to search google or gearslutz
- have good people skills to pick up a couple clients to start you off
then, I think that you can go VERY far with 18k worth of gear.

Even if it takes you a whole year to understand how to use it, at least at the end of the year you have the gear, not just a piece of paper and a loan to pay back.
Old 30th May 2006
  #20
Gear Addict
 
HiRaX's Avatar
 

The Full Sail Recording Arts Degree is pretty much everyone one way ticket to working at guitar center for the rest of your life. Of course the school has its pros and cons.
Pro's = up to date high end equipment and consoles.
Con's Half Assed instructors and ridiculous schedules.
Another reason people don't take kindly to grads is because by the time the end of the year rolls around everyone has their business cards saying "I'm an engineer" and yada yada yada and think their just gonna instantly get an engineering gig.
Little do they know it takes years of being a fly on a wall in a studio and obviously expierence recording/mixing. I didnt get a gig in a studio till about a year after graduating and Spent about a year cleaning toilets in a large NYC recording studio before starting to assist only to end up leaving. It was worth every starving second of it. And as much as I don't like paying my loans back for that school, I am greatful for the training that helped me be more well rounded in an ever-so- changing industry.
Old 30th May 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRaX
I didnt get a gig in a studio till about a year after graduating and Spent about a year cleaning toilets in a large NYC recording studio before starting to assist only to end up leaving. .
And this is fullsail´s fault ?
Old 30th May 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
And this is fullsail´s fault ?

haha! People keep blaming the school....it's not the school, it's the people attending there. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Simple enough.

The school is a lot more than twisting a few knobs BTW. Most people don't know that though.
Old 30th May 2006
  #23
Gear Addict
 

i have a full sail grad who emailed me and is going to start interning for me soon. this sounds crazy but what i like about full sail is that these kids know what to expect when coming into an intern or assistant situation. they don't have delusions of grandeur, they play their position. now me, i didn't get anywhere from playing my position, but I didn't go to full sail either.
Old 30th May 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco D
i have a full sail grad who emailed me and is going to start interning for me soon. this sounds crazy but what i like about full sail is that these kids know what to expect when coming into an intern or assistant situation. they don't have delusions of grandeur, they play their position. now me, i didn't get anywhere from playing my position, but I didn't go to full sail either.
man, countless times I remember in class teachers told us of what to expect and how to fit in a high end studio inviroment. The do´s and dont´s, etc.. spend more time hearing stories than anything else. But people are people, and no matter how much you tell someone that it´s important to wear deodorant everyday and shower, some people don´t. That´s got nothing to do with school. Fullsail is not a etiquette school or whatever, they don´t make you a better person or more sociable. Their job is to teach you how to run high end consoles and gear in general. Some say it´s very expensive and it is, but to me their placement department is great. Had an intership in 20 days after graduation, at a place I could only dream about. To later find out that 90% of the staff at this high end facility was from Fullsail, all top notch engineers and assistants to this day.
Old 30th May 2006
  #25
Gear Addict
 
Mudnoc's Avatar
 

Alot of people have said it already....Education is what you make it... I don't know much about FullSail....know a couple of people that went there... I graduated from the Art Institute of Atlanta in 95 with a music business degree (big waste of money) but what I saw at AIA that I'm sure plagues FS is the ratio of wanna-be- rappers / rock stars / producers / etc. etc...... to the students who are serious and want to learn.... That coupled with the fact that you could probably slide through school without really applying yourself produces graduates that know very little about the engineering world...thus bad reputations fly around like crazy....

But again, like other posters have said...it's not about the FS diploma... It's about learning as much as you can....interning on the side, applying yourself and trying to get as much experienced as you can so when you go out in the "real world" the adjustment will be easier.... and I don't think Audio Engineering is the most sought after profession right now so you could be fighting an uphill battle....
Old 31st May 2006
  #26
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

what i heard about full sail is that its only an engineering school and for them to record good musicians or just a variety of diferent musiciansand styles is dificult. so a friend ask a FS grad to mic up a drum kit and the grad said he never miked up before just theory.
not like berklee where there is bunch of musicians waiting in line to be recorded from 40ps orchestra to latin jazz to solo guitar and metal. thus, tons of experience.
but of course u get the berklee kid saying he can hear a 0.5 db dip on a 22k freq or the guitar player who just doesnt shutup platying shreding guitar and saying its a flat mixolidian scale and sharp lidian mixed into one---translation--cromatic.
but i bet its what u put into it what counts.

and for the NYC remark... studios in NY suck!!! all of them are just closing up. thus, giving only grunt work to recent grads. or even experice engineers. bad for the big studios but they where just spending waaayy too much in rent. and now bunch of small studios are poping up.
Old 31st May 2006
  #27
Gear Addict
 
HiRaX's Avatar
 

Quote:
And this is fullsail´s fault ?
Jose Mrochek



I wasn't blaming the school. I just didnt start looking for studio gigs till about a year afterwards.
Old 31st May 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers
so a friend ask a FS grad to mic up a drum kit and the grad said he never miked up before just theory.
.
he probably fell asleep and didn´t go to labs because that´s a big lie.
Old 31st May 2006
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Full Sail students can do a lot:

- Flip burgers
- Wash cars
- Clean toilets
- Sweep floors
- Pour coffee

heh heh
Old 31st May 2006
  #30
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
Fullsail prepares you to be an awesome assistant. Thats all.


dfegad $60,000 US dollars to learn how to be an assistant.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
JustinPhelps / Geekslutz forum
32
JFork / So much gear, so little time
4
ChrisG / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
12

Forum Jump
Forum Jump