The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Full Sail Graduates Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbguitar View Post
Funny story I called full sail in Orlando and spoke with a guy who worked with the alumni when I wanted an assistant 2 hours south of them here in south Florida, I asked him if he knew of a recent graduate who was in our area.....I could hear it in his voice the second he realized that full sail wouldn't be making any money from my inquiry that he had no interest in helping any graduates get a job, he took my info half heartedly and I had a strong feeling he wouldn't put one bit of effort into getting my info to any graduates.... my hunch was true he never called me back.... his initial cheerfulness vanished the minute I wasn't going to be a source of income for them.... very sad
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ladd View Post
One of the best scenes in movie history right there!
Old 30th January 2017
full sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I wonder if a call to their career placement department would be more beneficial? Or is that who you spoke with?
To be honest I can't remember too much more than that I called the main number and told them I wanted to find a graduate for an assistant from my neck of the woods and then they transferred me to the guy who they said could help me.....then as I said the second he realized I wanted some effort from him that wouldn't help him directly he turned off the charm and "handled" me with an empty promise to see what he could do. I found another guy here locally so I guess I did ABC and closed :=)

Last edited by Jimbguitar; 30th January 2017 at 11:02 PM..
Old 31st January 2017
FullSail Changed My Life

Hello,

I really felt compelled to chime in on this subject since I hold my FullSail experience in high regards, it changed my life.

First and foremost, I understand everyone is different and I would never assume everyone is going to have my experience as their expectation. That's a good question you should always ask yourself before making a huge financial investment...whats your expectation? As for mine.....all I wanted was an "opportunity" to get my foot in the door in a recording studio...that was it...period.

A little perspective: I attended FullSail at the age of 26 and single. I had been in and out of community college, hanging out with the wrong crowd, partying, going to the club, horrible credit, being very irresponsible, working as a waiter(service industry!)....I woke up one morning and said to myself..."this isn't the life God intended for me, I have to make a change!". I was extremely motivated to find a career that I was passionate about, music....but I was no musician! I dreamed of living a lifestyle and earning a living where I could provide for a family one day. As a kid, I would buy albums and the first thing I'd do is look to see where it was recorded, who was the engineer and who mixed it. I did some soul searching and decided I wanted to become an engineer! I prepared myself for six months to attend FullSail for a year and get my Engineering degree.

My FullSail experience and where its lead me: So while attending FullSail I made a few goals: school first, no girlfriends(a personal distraction for me), perfect attendance and here was the biggest game changer, only surround yourself around people/friends who encourage you, challenge you, support you, sincerely care about you and are a good influence. As far as my education, I loved it. It was a LOT to take in...EVERYTHING was new to me....but all i did was eat, breath and sleep the recording industry. As some of you may or may not know, when you attend FullSail you have classes sometimes at 2am-noon or 8pm-4am, its a full time schedule with crazy hours(just like the real world). When I wasn't attending class, I was practicing recording at my home(I invested in a new mac and pro tools, a microphone and a digi 001 interface),. It was important for me to take what I learned at school those 12 hours and go home and apply what I learned. I had a lot of fun, it was all state of the art equipment and at the time had a Neve and a SSL. I learned how to use MIDI, Signal Flow, Hardware, Pro Tools, Soldering, Session Set Up, Live Sound and even POST production...the list goes on right. I really enjoyed the campus/studios/classrooms at the time(2000), I know its changed quite a bit. My class had around 200 people. I remember a majority of them wanted to be producers, next Dr Dre. I just remember that being an on going theme...a lot of the students wanted to make beats and become rich. I remember just having an attitude that I would do WHATEVER it takes just to have an opportunity to make a living working in a recording studio. Around 7 months into my school year we had a 3 day holiday weekend. While other students were going to the beach, I rented a car and lined up around 7 recording studio tours down in Miami. My plan was to hopefully show some face, make a good impression and develop a relationship. One of the studios was The Hit Factory. Fast forward 4 months later and I had one month before I graduated, I was keeping contact(almost daily) with the placement department, I was reaching out to studios to see if any openings were opening up and low and behold the placement dept mentioned The Hit Factory was hiring and they specifically wanted a FullSail grad. I ended up sending in my resume (FedEx signature) and got the call to start before my classes were even over and my graduation, which I ended up missing but obviously didn't care! They said they were impressed with the fact that I took a tour months before I graduated and the fact that I used FedEx signature, no one had done that before(I mention that in case it inspires someone who is looking for a way to get their resume noticed...do something unique to stand out) Well that was the start of my career, I was a General Assistant at The Hit Factory Miami, it was the opportunity of a life time. That's when my real education started. FullSail gave me the basic learning tools but most of all it gave me confidence, a since of pride and also a debt that I was willing to work hard to pay off...motivation! I've been BLESSED in my career, I went on to move to Los Angeles and work at Capitol Records, Dub Stages, Post Houses, and eventually landed in a studio that did both music and post.....where I met my beautiful wife, who also went to FullSail and is an incredible engineer! We have 3 beautiful children, bought a home in Los Angeles and Wisconsin, even a retirement plan and have a career we wake up every day excited about and sincerely love....I mention this because before I decided to go to FullSail I was on my way to a whole other life, just a couple more bad decisions and my life would look completely different...I'll never take it for granted.

There is nothing like real world experience to give you the education you need, looking back, I didn't know all that much (just the basics) when I compare what I've learned the past 16 years working every day in this industry....but for me would not have been possible without my FullSail education. As far as I know, most people have a good impression of FullSail grads in Los Angeles. I should also say that I ended up making friends with around 8 other students that are still in my life today that all are working successfully in the industry, that have gone on to work on movies like Avatar, Star Wars, have their own rooms in Santa Monica, have beautiful families and are living the dream......like me....I'm so very blessed

So here is what I know. FullSail can't teach you to have a good attitude, it can't teach you people skills, it can't teach you to be passionate, it can't teach you to be motivated/driven. Its expensive, very expensive...so make sure this is a decision your ready to commit your whole life to! I truly believe if you have reasonable expectations and a great attitude you can accomplish so much!

Well, time to get off my soapbox! Sorry if I went overboard and I hope that anyone who reads this is inspired to reach their dreams! Life is so short, invest your time in doing something you love. I'm not special, I'm certainly not the smartest guy in the room......If someone like me can do it...so can you! I believe in you
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah421 View Post
Hello,

I really felt compelled to chime in on this subject since I hold my FullSail experience in high regards, it changed my life.

First and foremost, I understand everyone is different and I would never assume everyone is going to have my experience as their expectation. That's a good question you should always ask yourself before making a huge financial investment...whats your expectation? As for mine.....all I wanted was an "opportunity" to get my foot in the door in a recording studio...that was it...period.

A little perspective: I attended FullSail at the age of 26 and single. I had been in and out of community college, hanging out with the wrong crowd, partying, going to the club, horrible credit, being very irresponsible, working as a waiter(service industry!)....I woke up one morning and said to myself..."this isn't the life God intended for me, I have to make a change!". I was extremely motivated to find a career that I was passionate about, music....but I was no musician! I dreamed of living a lifestyle and earning a living where I could provide for a family one day. As a kid, I would buy albums and the first thing I'd do is look to see where it was recorded, who was the engineer and who mixed it. I did some soul searching and decided I wanted to become an engineer! I prepared myself for six months to attend FullSail for a year and get my Engineering degree.

My FullSail experience and where its lead me: So while attending FullSail I made a few goals: school first, no girlfriends(a personal distraction for me), perfect attendance and here was the biggest game changer, only surround yourself around people/friends who encourage you, challenge you, support you, sincerely care about you and are a good influence. As far as my education, I loved it. It was a LOT to take in...EVERYTHING was new to me....but all i did was eat, breath and sleep the recording industry. As some of you may or may not know, when you attend FullSail you have classes sometimes at 2am-noon or 8pm-4am, its a full time schedule with crazy hours(just like the real world). When I wasn't attending class, I was practicing recording at my home(I invested in a new mac and pro tools, a microphone and a digi 001 interface),. It was important for me to take what I learned at school those 12 hours and go home and apply what I learned. I had a lot of fun, it was all state of the art equipment and at the time had a Neve and a SSL. I learned how to use MIDI, Signal Flow, Hardware, Pro Tools, Soldering, Session Set Up, Live Sound and even POST production...the list goes on right. I really enjoyed the campus/studios/classrooms at the time(2000), I know its changed quite a bit. My class had around 200 people. I remember a majority of them wanted to be producers, next Dr Dre. I just remember that being an on going theme...a lot of the students wanted to make beats and become rich. I remember just having an attitude that I would do WHATEVER it takes just to have an opportunity to make a living working in a recording studio. Around 7 months into my school year we had a 3 day holiday weekend. While other students were going to the beach, I rented a car and lined up around 7 recording studio tours down in Miami. My plan was to hopefully show some face, make a good impression and develop a relationship. One of the studios was The Hit Factory. Fast forward 4 months later and I had one month before I graduated, I was keeping contact(almost daily) with the placement department, I was reaching out to studios to see if any openings were opening up and low and behold the placement dept mentioned The Hit Factory was hiring and they specifically wanted a FullSail grad. I ended up sending in my resume (FedEx signature) and got the call to start before my classes were even over and my graduation, which I ended up missing but obviously didn't care! They said they were impressed with the fact that I took a tour months before I graduated and the fact that I used FedEx signature, no one had done that before(I mention that in case it inspires someone who is looking for a way to get their resume noticed...do something unique to stand out) Well that was the start of my career, I was a General Assistant at The Hit Factory Miami, it was the opportunity of a life time. That's when my real education started. FullSail gave me the basic learning tools but most of all it gave me confidence, a since of pride and also a debt that I was willing to work hard to pay off...motivation! I've been BLESSED in my career, I went on to move to Los Angeles and work at Capitol Records, Dub Stages, Post Houses, and eventually landed in a studio that did both music and post.....where I met my beautiful wife, who also went to FullSail and is an incredible engineer! We have 3 beautiful children, bought a home in Los Angeles and Wisconsin, even a retirement plan and have a career we wake up every day excited about and sincerely love....I mention this because before I decided to go to FullSail I was on my way to a whole other life, just a couple more bad decisions and my life would look completely different...I'll never take it for granted.

There is nothing like real world experience to give you the education you need, looking back, I didn't know all that much (just the basics) when I compare what I've learned the past 16 years working every day in this industry....but for me would not have been possible without my FullSail education. As far as I know, most people have a good impression of FullSail grads in Los Angeles. I should also say that I ended up making friends with around 8 other students that are still in my life today that all are working successfully in the industry, that have gone on to work on movies like Avatar, Star Wars, have their own rooms in Santa Monica, have beautiful families and are living the dream......like me....I'm so very blessed

So here is what I know. FullSail can't teach you to have a good attitude, it can't teach you people skills, it can't teach you to be passionate, it can't teach you to be motivated/driven. Its expensive, very expensive...so make sure this is a decision your ready to commit your whole life to! I truly believe if you have reasonable expectations and a great attitude you can accomplish so much!

Well, time to get off my soapbox! Sorry if I went overboard and I hope that anyone who reads this is inspired to reach their dreams! Life is so short, invest your time in doing something you love. I'm not special, I'm certainly not the smartest guy in the room......If someone like me can do it...so can you! I believe in you
Cool story. Inspiring stuff...no sarcasm. A go getter attitude is the way to win in this life. So, I am going to get it by opening a school right across the street from Full Sail. I shall name it Half Sail University.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post
I personaly know 2 fullsail graduates who won grammys for engineering. Let me know if one of the fullsail pissers in this forum won one. And then we will talk.

I´m a fullsail graduate myself, haven´t won crap but i´m personaly annoyed buy the anti fullsail **** said around here.

Everything is people skills my friend, that is not learned at fullsail or anywhere else but home.

Fullsail prepares you to be an awesome assistant. Thats all. I know you understand that. If you are a good guy, you will do well with or without the education. The ones who piss over education are a bunch of loosers so don´t listen to them : )
Thanks for speaking the truth. I graduated from FS in early 2015 (at the age of 30 after having run a studio, worked at sweetwater, worked at other studios as an assistant). While at the school I fell out of love with recording music and fell in love with audio post. After I graduated I got an internship thru FS connections which led to a very good episodic TV mixing gig (also an FS connection) and all this led to truly amazing, incredible gig I have now running sound at a small TV network. I love this job, it brought me to LA, a city I've fallen in love with (I'm originally from NY and dreaded having to go back to that hell.) and it has led me to more music mixing gigs (a bit ironic) and now I've been getting into mixing motorsports shows. I couldn't be more satisfied with my career path in the last few years and to ask for anymore would just be selfish.

My favorite people are those who **** on full sail. Because as soon as they do that, I know pretty much everything out of their mouth is 100% bull**** rhetoric. A guy i graduated with also ended up in LA working at one of the world's top mastering houses. I won't name names but you can buy their plugins :-] He went from intern to assistant to engineer very quickly. Several other friends stayed in the southeast and started a live sound company and are doing very well and having a blast. Another friend moved back to SC and is really cleaning up mixing gospel music. When i got to LA I met other FS grads who work at paramount, sony, wilshire stages, and so many other places.

Were there people who totally failed at or couldn't care less about sound mixing and still graduated? Sure! They also hardly had any friends and hardly talked to anyone the entire 21 months we were there. IMO, they were going to fail anyway. ALL SCHOOLS PASS PEOPLE WHO DO THE BARE MINIMUM. This is NOT unique to full sail. It's like a gym. You can go to the gym and barely put effort in and see little results. Or you can do what I did and attack it like a madman. If you hired one of those kids who barely put effort in, you should consider looking into your vetting process before condemning the school they went to.

to OP...You didn't waste your money if you learned a lot, gained friends, and networked. if you didn't do those things you wasted your money. And I will say this: If you get a FS degree online, you probably wasted your money due to lack of friendship building and networking.
Old 2nd February 2017
Education is a way to unlock doors when you are looking for a job. It is then up to the person to make the job work for them and for their employer if they get that job. This applies to any college graduate or tech school graduate. There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to getting and holding a job. I congratulate the people who have shared their success stories after attending FS.

As I said early on in this discussion I know three Full Sail graduates that are NOT working in audio. I also have had people looking for jobs here who were Full Sail graduates and who were upset that we did not have a big SSL console and racks full of play toys even though they knew we were a mastering studio.

The internet is not kind to Full Sail.

https://makemoneyonlinescamsexposed....ersity-a-scam/

Full Sail University Scams & Lawsuits | School Scam Lawyer

Ripoff Report | Full Sail University Complaint Review Winter Park, Florida: 814549

So maybe it is not as good for everyone as some people here try and make it seem.

If it worked for you GREAT if it did not then...I guess you might have made the wrong decision when it came to picking a school.

FWIW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search