The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Full Sail Graduates Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th December 2013
  #331
Lives for gear
 
Joe Haze's Avatar
 

FullSnail is the antithesis of what music and creativity should be about. Starting out at the zero-point who is going to pay the 100k for "school" plus living expenses?

The overall sense of entitlement is astounding among these people. It's only after life beats you down a few times you really start to grow and "get it together". All of our FullSnail interns spent most of their time on their iPhones, smoking pot and trying to bang chicks.

To get good you need to spent years listening, reading and doing.
Old 20th December 2013
  #332
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Full Snail will get you there eventually.
.



.
Old 18th August 2014
  #333
Old 29th August 2014
  #334
Gear Maniac
 

I haven't taken the time to read through all of this thread and my only experience with FS grads has been counter guys at Guitar Center....who were pretty much dicks but they were probably that way BEFORE they went to FS.

Two things that come to mind about FS are:

1. The school was started in the "Glory Days" of studio recording....I remember they used to brag about all the SSL's they had and early PT rigs and such. At the time, the studio business from bottom to top was a lot more viable way to make a living....sure a FS degree might net you a job sweeping up at a local ADAT studio (or going back even further a 16 track analog joint) but there was employment out there of a sort.

I think FS kind of exploited the hopes and dreams of people by creating way more graduates to run SSL's than there are in the world, and perpetuated the myth that by going to their school, you too could be that guy running that huge SSL in the big time studio.

2. It's a for profit educational institution; nothing wrong with making money but it's the same model places like University of Phoenix, DeVry, Strayer, etc. use, lots of advertising, high rates for the quality of education you receive, and then the fact that:

EVERYBODY IS ACCEPTED AND NOBODY FAILS

A real school isn't like this, if you are **** you will fail and they will no longer get your money, they are not out to keep you in school and keep getting your money by letting you pass.

Then the bar is pretty low too, I bet you cannot find a University of Phoenix graduate with less than a 3.5 GPA, so coming out of a school like that with a high GPA just tells a potential employer you paid them money and stuck it out long enough to finish a program.

So I think if there is attitude out there about FS it's the fact it's just an audio degree mill in the business of making money, somebody good will come out of there with some chops and some knowledge but just going through FS doesn't really guarantee a potential employer much other than you had money or are in debt, and had your stuff together to stick with something for about a year or so.

A sports car forum I am active on had a young guy who was a FS grad, I think he came out of it with $50,000 worth of debt and man that is just sad....

Analogeezer
Old 19th January 2015
  #335
Gear Head
 
astojazz's Avatar
 

I know this thread is a few months old (so hopefully someone sees this) and this may be off topic but I'm thinking about attending Full Sail online for a Music Production BS. My question is: What are the differences between learning the program online and taking the program at the school and is one better than the other in terms of consistent informative feedback, building a solid student-teacher relationships (it would be pretty weird to share a brew with a teacher via skype) and landing real-world connections by connecting with industry professionals and what not?
Old 19th January 2015
  #336
Lives for gear
Dear God! Haven't you read this thread?

With all these variations on the Wysuckie College for the Totally Dumb, PLUS all the accredited universities that actually give you a real sheepskin (and not one made out of nylon!) each and every year there are about 30,000 more graduates looking for a gig - and about 100 jobs in recording studios and about as many again with post, PAs etc.

You do the maths!
Old 20th January 2015
  #337
Quote:
Originally Posted by astojazz View Post
I know this thread is a few months old (so hopefully someone sees this) and this may be off topic but I'm thinking about attending Full Sail online for a Music Production BS. My question is: What are the differences between learning the program online and taking the program at the school and is one better than the other in terms of consistent informative feedback, building a solid student-teacher relationships (it would be pretty weird to share a brew with a teacher via skype) and landing real-world connections by connecting with industry professionals and what not?
My suggestion:

Go to a two or four year college. Get a degree in business with an emphasis on advertising and marketing and while you are there read everything you can about audio and get involved in the campus radio station or recording studio if they have one. Learn all you can about business and advertising and marketing and audio and then start your own studio with a couple of your like minded friends or maybe by the time you graduate you will be seeking a different career path.

Please reread this entire thread before committing to anything having to do with "for profit" audio schools.

FWIW
Old 20th January 2015
  #338
Lives for gear
I just had a young Full Sail guy come through the studio who is a stage tour manager for a major label. I asked him about Full Sail and he spoke highly of his experience, and said it's more about what you make of it than anything. So I think highly motivated and talented people might be able to benefit from it. It's certainly not a guaranteed golden ticket.
Old 20th January 2015
  #339
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
I just had a young Full Sail guy come through the studio who is a stage tour manager for a major label. I asked him about Full Sail and he spoke highly of his experience, and said it's more about what you make of it than anything. So I think highly motivated and talented people might be able to benefit from it. It's certainly not a guaranteed golden ticket.
What it makes you is highly IN DEBT when your done and no REAL job
Old 20th January 2015
  #340
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
What it makes you is highly IN DEBT when your done and no REAL job
It's certainly not for everyone. Neither is college in general- this is probably even more true for a specialized school in a highly competitive field like Full Sail.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
My suggestion:

Go to a two or four year college. Get a degree in business with an emphasis on advertising and marketing and while you are there read everything you can about audio and get involved in the campus radio station or recording studio if they have one. Learn all you can about business and advertising and marketing and audio and then start your own studio with a couple of your like minded friends or maybe by the time you graduate you will be seeking a different career path.

Please reread this entire thread before committing to anything having to do with "for profit" audio schools.

FWIW
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with the "get a real degree" part, the last thing the world needs is more low-mid end studios run by guys with no experience of actually working in a real studio.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #342
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by astojazz View Post
I know this thread is a few months old (so hopefully someone sees this) and this may be off topic but I'm thinking about attending Full Sail online for a Music Production BS. My question is: What are the differences between learning the program online and taking the program at the school and is one better than the other in terms of consistent informative feedback, building a solid student-teacher relationships (it would be pretty weird to share a brew with a teacher via skype) and landing real-world connections by connecting with industry professionals and what not?
While I agree that you should avoid these schools like the plague (and would second the go to a real school advice) the ONE benefit Full Sail does offer is hands-on access to a bunch of high-end world class gear so I would imagine actually being around that gear would be much more beneficial than doing the online course.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #343
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
While I agree that you should avoid these schools like the plague (and would second the go to a real school advice) the ONE benefit Full Sail does offer is hands-on access to a bunch of high-end world class gear so I would imagine actually being around that gear would be much more beneficial than doing the online course.
+1 on this advice.

Good luck scheduling time to properly "play" with that gear though. From what I've read from past and present students securing lab time on the fancy gear is "fun".
Old 23rd January 2015
  #344
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneCares View Post
I am a current Full Sail student. I also went to Berklee about 15 years ago, so perhaps I can offer a little perspective.

The most important thing to be said is that you get out of it what you put in. Sure, that's cliche as hell, but can anyone really say the world works otherwise?

At Berklee, there was no audition, no interview process, just a $500 application that automatically gets you in, not to mention it's literally 2-3x as much to go there. I had a 67 average in high school and I was in summer school every single year because I couldn't care less about school. Somehow, I got into Berklee, because honestly, they had no standards. (i have heard this has changed and it's harder to get in now).

I remember being in my bass lines lab with Dave Hollander my first week of school, and I was surrounded by people who were not only NOT musicians, but some of them actually sounded like they had never played before. I was stunned. Drugs were rampant. So many people were on blow. If you had an issue with anything, there was no one to call, you had to go to the school and find someone, which wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that no one there speaks English. Their career development office is just a small room with a bunch of filing cabinets with "jobs". When I say "jobs", i mean ****ty one-off gigs that if you were very lucky paid $150 or more. This office was staffed by japanese guys who pretended to not speak english. (I know they did, they had to take the TOEFL to get in, they are just racist.) I was robbed several times, at one point at least 80% of the school had bed bugs...the list of problems goes on and on. While some of the professors were truly miserable, awful people, for the most part I had fantastic professors.

I learned a lot and grew exponentially as a musician. And majoring in contemporary writing and production gave me the recording bug. I still have the same MOTU 828 they gave us!

10 or 15 years go by, and after running a recording studio, gigging, and slinging gear for a living, I decided I needed a degree, since so many jobs were passing me by due to my lack of degree (I only went to Berklee for 2.5 years, couldn't take it anymore). I have several friends who went to FS and they were immensely successful.

I decided to check it out, and I was immediately struck by the fact that you can call them and get someone on the phone! (by contrast, it took 6 phone calls, 4 emails, and finally a nasty email to roger brown to get my transcript sent to FS). I applied (for one tenth the app fee of Berklee), and got a phone call soon after. I ended up having three phone interviews, and I was already impressed.

Well, it's a year and a half later now, and I think it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I have gotten SOOO much better at mixing. I am no longer intimidated by things like patch bays, large format consoles, and pro tools HD (which my studio could never have afforded). I got the audio-post for film bug and now I know that's what I want to do. I learned how to properly document EVERYTHING.

Most importantly, I met A LOT of people. Good people. No one here has stolen **** from my apartment (daily occurrence with Berklee kids). No one here has offered me cocaine (also a daily occurrence at Berklee). People here are positive, friendly, creative, and looking to collaborate. Teachers here are really nice, hardworking, extremely knowledgeable, and they are literally willing to hook you up with their connections (at least they seem to do that for me, I guess that can't be true for everyone).

However, like anything, there are plenty of bad apples. There are people who came here, and I just have no clue why they did because all they do is record hip-hop vocals and work with virtual instruments. They go out of their way to not do anything in labs. They suck the energy out of the room, snickering at the fact that we actually have to mic stuff up and do work. In lecture, they wear their headphones, as if no one notices. The best is when you can hear said headphones all the way across the room, indicating that not only do they not respect the faculty but they are also deaf. I can't imagine those people doing well. There are clearly a lot of people here much more concerned about their e-cigs, skateboarding, wearing winter hats in august in Florida, and what size gauges they have, rather than the art and science of audio engineering. Those people exist in EVERY school.

Another thing I should point out: A lot of people come here and get an associate's. That means they are here for only 12 months. The stuff you learn after that point is far more complex and advanced, and those people are really missing out on a wealth of knowledge and experience. So consider this: If someone goes to fullsail just out of high school. Let's say they are seventeen. I even knew a dude was 16 when we started! Let's say this person wants an associate's. That means they will technically be a "full sail grad" at the ripe old age of 17 or 18. Sure, there are a few young guys that are truly talented, personable, and hard working. But most of the 18 year olds are just that: 18 year olds.

Just like not every cop isn't a scumbag because of the few that are, not every FS grad is a slacker who takes things for granted. I would practically kill for a job at a dubbing stage.
I am glad you had a good experience at Full Sale and not so good one at Berklee. Other people have had other experiences. Berklee must be doing something right since they just built this 160 Massachusetts Avenue | Berklee College of Music

I have had Full Sail grads apply for work here and were AMAZED that we did not have a 12 foot long SSL console even though the job they were applying for was an assistant MASTERING engineer. I guess it is something about SSL consoles and Full Sail.

I always try and tell people to go to the college they fell most comfortable at and where they can get the best education. Cost/benefit ratio is also important in choosing a good school.

Best of luck!
Old 23rd January 2015
  #345
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneCares View Post
That's funny, I have a friend who graduated from FS before it was even a real accredited degree. He had nothing but fantastic jobs ever since he finished at FS and now, only 8 or 10 years later, he now runs a major post-production company and has offices in LA and NY, and makes enough to have apartments that go with each.

You should tell him that he's broke and doesn't have a real job though.

You should say the same thing to another friend of mine who finished FS and started a highly successful music publishing company. "Castle" would be the best word to describe his house.

Yeah...sucks to be those guys.
You should talk to the ones working at Guitar Center and McDonalds. What you are describing are two EXCEPTIONS to the masses that go there and get their "DEGREE". $50,000 or more a year for absolutely no guarantee of anything when your done is crazy. You keep dreaming though as your young and have Berklee to keep you going. Enjoy your buddies apartments and castles, Im not impressed at all
Old 24th January 2015
  #346
I always wanted to go to a school like Full Sail. I now know that there are similar schools with a much lower price tag. I have a friend who attended an audio in the Bay Area, California. He has had several ups and downs. Loosing a studio he built due to not being able to making rent. On the opposite he has worked with some serious names. He got his degree in multimedia, and even though his passion was music, he specialized the degree in graphics and video. A few years back Mariah Carey had a show in Las Vegas and it was the first cell phone concert. You bought a ticket online and it was streamed to your cell phone in real time. Presently this is no big deal but about 5 years ago this was ground breaking. He was fortunate to land a gig on the production team covering the event. He got the leads and connections through the school. Above all the guy is sober, no weed, no liquor and all business.

Another friend of mine went to a school in Sacramento. He has not fared so well and works a 9-5 type gig. He graduated about 2 years ago. He knows a lot about the technical aspects but something just isn't falling in line for him.

Cliche as it is, Life is what you make it.
Part of it is simply luck, and the other part is knowing how to search and seize opportunities.
If you analyze the word luck it means..... Talent + Consistency + Opportunity = Success.
The more consistent you are at anything, the more opportunities you will find.
Old 24th January 2015
  #347
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneCares View Post
You seem to have the misconception that after going to school, someone is just going to hand you a job. Believe it or not, you have to do this thing called "work". Your statements about working at GC McDonald's is an obvious reflection of your own career failings, and I'm sorry you're so bitter and sad. I have had many jobs working with many people, and you are exactly the type of toxic person I would never want to work with or for. I wish you the best of luck.
OK - let's leave the personal attacks out please....
Old 25th January 2015
  #348
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneCares View Post
Yeah, they are charging TWICE what full sail charges. When I was there, the vast majority of professors were part time, and it was rumored the part-timers were getting paid less than $10/hr. They certainly seemed angry enough so who knows...

Also, the place was absolutely falling apart. It was a total dump. Right as I was heading out of there, they built a new rehearsal facility out in allston. Now they have this fancy new building. All I know is that it was a gross dump when I was there, and everything was always broken. Good way to keep costs down I guess. I remember when my parents came up to visit once and they couldn't believe how old and run down the place was.

Meanwhile at FS they have one building with 24 icon-D desks with 5.1 and 24 SSL J-series consoles. The SSL rooms have 3 racks full out outboard, all UA, summit audio, DBX, and other goodies. They recently got rid of half of their computers and upgraded to those new trash can mac pros. They recently added 30 or 40 Avid S-6's. And all of that stuff is for individual use. You should see what they have in the main rooms where the group work gets done.

There is more money in equipment in individual sections of FS than there is in ALL of berklee. (at least when i was there. I hope for the sake of the poor souls who are there now that things have changed.)
You know I could afford all those cool toys for my studio too if I received $384 million from taxpayers. I run a legitimate business though without having to rely on mommy United States Federal Government. Have a look at this video which lays it all out:



That's what makes me the most mad about Full Sail. They're funding everything with stolen money (taxes via federal student loans). They and other schools like them should receive ZERO government funding. Student loans are predicated on students being able to find gainful employment from their education. The audio industry is not an area that is bustling with business at the moment as many of us know. 100 graduates for every 10-20 new jobs is a terrible ratio. More like 100 graduates to 5 job openings, really.

By the way, your newly created January 2015 account is suspect considering you went to Berklee 15 years ago and are now attending FSU? That seems odd to me, really. 15 years of running a studio you should have more than enough experience to get gigs if you've been working as an audio engineer that whole time. You don't need a degree in this industry, you need a solid portfolio.

The two friends that you mentioned that are rich...why don't you have a job with them? The #2 rule in this industry after the solid portfolio is networking/connections. It seems you already have the connections with those two successful men. Why go to Full Sail?

Last edited by doom64; 25th January 2015 at 12:39 AM..
Old 25th January 2015
  #349
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
I just had a young Full Sail guy come through the studio who is a stage tour manager for a major label. I asked him about Full Sail and he spoke highly of his experience, and said it's more about what you make of it than anything. So I think highly motivated and talented people might be able to benefit from it. It's certainly not a guaranteed golden ticket.
Agreed, but highly motivated people need not acquire pricey vocational training to be successful.
Old 25th January 2015
  #350
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with the "get a real degree" part, the last thing the world needs is more low-mid end studios run by guys with no experience of actually working in a real studio.
My reason for suggesting a business degree was that by the time he got the degree in business he would see that this is the LAST thing he would want to do.

I know three Full Sail graduates. One is selling cell phones, one is working at GC and one is living at home with Mommy and Daddy untill he finds a "real job". The guy who is selling cell phones graduated top of his class from FS. He tried to get audio related jobs around this area but the only jobs were for minimum wage so he started working for Verizon and is doing well selling cell phones. He wants to get a job in audio but he also wants to stay in this area. I guess he will either have to move or stay at Verizon.

This is a tough economy no matter what the media types want us to believe. It is especially tough if you are trying to get a good paying job in audio. Hopefully things will turn around but I think at the present time the audio engineering profession is severely overcrowded and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.


MTCW
Old 25th January 2015
  #351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneCares View Post


As far as it being a new account, I was told I need to start networking online more, since that's something I really don't do, at all. I wasn't aware that new users aren't welcome, and I apologize. I had a gearslutz account years ago and I deleted it because people were usually nasty, negative, or toxic. I see that hasn't changed. So I guess that makes me a shill for FS somehow.
IMHO your postings do have that "shill" quality. Running down Berklee while saying that FS is the best. Only you know how you feel and how you have been treated by both institutions. When you start doing personal attacks the qulaity level of your posts goes down rather quickly.

FWIW
Old 25th January 2015
  #352
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
IMHO your postings do have that "shill" quality. Running down Berklee while saying that FS is the best. Only you know how you feel and how you have been treated by both institutions. When you start doing personal attacks the qulaity level of your posts goes down rather quickly.

FWIW
Old 26th January 2015
  #353
Gear Head
 

Well every possible opinion has been mentioned, so I'll keep that to a minimum. I graduated in Nov. 2000. It was the right time for me, maturity wise. I put everything I could into it. I did well and had a great time. They pounded in signal flow, and I remember when that first really clicked half way through the program. That really opened up a whole world for me. One of the reasons on my first job as an intern I could work an extremely complicated core and all the dubbing formats that only a few people really grasped. I'm working in Post btw. Thats definitely the reason they hired me. Has any grad mentioned Hunter? I have no idea if he's still there, but I would put his studio maintenance class up against anybody. Worth the money... hard to say? But i'm very happy with my experience there.

Good luck,
Brad
Old 3rd February 2015
  #354
I am a FSG as well, have been successful in music ---and back in 1993 when I Graduated, no one told me either that I could NEVER get a job putting that name on my Resume. One failed interview after another, UNTIL one HONEST studio owner told me, "Hey dude, stop saying your from Full Sail" we hate those guys. lol...

Stupid me, --thinking that the world was my Oyster went around proudly walking in saying I was FS Educated , I was thrown out of most interviews as fast as Most Label these days Throw out their employees and interns..... What the REAL subject should be here is, Why isn't Full Sail informing anyone the music business is DEAD and OVER.....Unless your in LA, Nashville. And trust me, THOSE TWO PLACES ARE BOILING OVER WITH GOOD ENGINEERS AND PRODUCERS, they DONT NEED ANYMORE !!!... it's TOO SATURATED. Everyone has Logic and a MB Pro.... and thats it. Beat makers.


Why aren't they telling anyone that 99% of future $ made being an engineer or Producer is going to come from
some burnt out artist paying you from T Shirt Money at a show since their isn't any "Producer Budgets" anymore..! and how are you supposed to pay back 60K!!! from T shirt money.

You see, In the 90's when FS had the "idea" of teaching people to work in "Big famous Studios" there were BIG FAMOUS STUDIOS WITH STAFFS OF PEOPLE AND A FLOURISHING INDUSTRY!... NOT ANYMORE!----most have closed down....now a BILLION HIPSTERS with a Macbook Pro and Logic and a world class 2 channel AD Converter with atomic clock , and guess what, theyre making KILLER sounding music from that equipment!. It's a MUCH MUCH different world today meaning, the CHANCES of 1000 students a month coming out of that school finding ANY
chance of employment is NILL to NONE. ----AND, it's going to get a LOT WORSE. Music is free now. It's like PORN...NO ONE PAYS FOR IT ANYMORE. So why hasn't the US Government investigated FS and theirr "Tuition fees"..... or shall I say "Culpable Negligence" you see you can't pay your loans when theirs no work. Good luck guys sorry , but it's the truth. Start your own "Pensado's place" and get some "sponsors" , youll make more money there...
Old 3rd February 2015
  #355
Lives for gear
 
raggedman's Avatar
 

Did hunter ever get told that the 6 fingered man was being hunted by "inigo Montoya" and not "Carlos Montoya"?...
Old 27th January 2017
  #356
Funny story I called full sail in Orlando and spoke with a guy who worked with the alumni when I wanted an assistant 2 hours south of them here in south Florida, I asked him if he knew of a recent graduate who was in our area.....I could hear it in his voice the second he realized that full sail wouldn't be making any money from my inquiry that he had no interest in helping any graduates get a job, he took my info half heartedly and I had a strong feeling he wouldn't put one bit of effort into getting my info to any graduates.... my hunch was true he never called me back.... his initial cheerfulness vanished the minute I wasn't going to be a source of income for them.... very sad
Old 27th January 2017
  #357
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbguitar View Post
Funny story I called full sail in Orlando and spoke with a guy who worked with the alumni when I wanted an assistant 2 hours south of them here in south Florida, I asked him if he knew of a recent graduate who was in our area.....I could hear it in his voice the second he realized that full sail wouldn't be making any money from my inquiry that he had no interest in helping any graduates get a job, he took my info half heartedly and I had a strong feeling he wouldn't put one bit of effort into getting my info to any graduates.... my hunch was true he never called me back.... his initial cheerfulness vanished the minute I wasn't going to be a source of income for them.... very sad
I wonder if a call to their career placement department would be more beneficial? Or is that who you spoke with?
Old 27th January 2017
  #358
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ology View Post
I am a FSG as well, have been successful in music ---and back in 1993 when I Graduated, no one told me either that I could NEVER get a job putting that name on my Resume. One failed interview after another, UNTIL one HONEST studio owner told me, "Hey dude, stop saying your from Full Sail" we hate those guys. lol...

Stupid me, --thinking that the world was my Oyster went around proudly walking in saying I was FS Educated , I was thrown out of most interviews as fast as Most Label these days Throw out their employees and interns..... What the REAL subject should be here is, Why isn't Full Sail informing anyone the music business is DEAD and OVER.....Unless your in LA, Nashville. And trust me, THOSE TWO PLACES ARE BOILING OVER WITH GOOD ENGINEERS AND PRODUCERS, they DONT NEED ANYMORE !!!... it's TOO SATURATED. Everyone has Logic and a MB Pro.... and thats it. Beat makers.


Why aren't they telling anyone that 99% of future $ made being an engineer or Producer is going to come from
some burnt out artist paying you from T Shirt Money at a show since their isn't any "Producer Budgets" anymore..! and how are you supposed to pay back 60K!!! from T shirt money.

You see, In the 90's when FS had the "idea" of teaching people to work in "Big famous Studios" there were BIG FAMOUS STUDIOS WITH STAFFS OF PEOPLE AND A FLOURISHING INDUSTRY!... NOT ANYMORE!----most have closed down....now a BILLION HIPSTERS with a Macbook Pro and Logic and a world class 2 channel AD Converter with atomic clock , and guess what, theyre making KILLER sounding music from that equipment!. It's a MUCH MUCH different world today meaning, the CHANCES of 1000 students a month coming out of that school finding ANY
chance of employment is NILL to NONE. ----AND, it's going to get a LOT WORSE. Music is free now. It's like PORN...NO ONE PAYS FOR IT ANYMORE. So why hasn't the US Government investigated FS and theirr "Tuition fees"..... or shall I say "Culpable Negligence" you see you can't pay your loans when theirs no work. Good luck guys sorry , but it's the truth. Start your own "Pensado's place" and get some "sponsors" , youll make more money there...
That is the true nature of the music recording business today.

And thanks to 'Ology' for stating something that we all know - if you have 'studied' a pudding subject at a 'pudding' institution like FS or SAE, keep f**king quiet about the fact!

It is a certificate of poverty! (A German expression 'Armutszeugnis' and a brilliant concept.)
Old 27th January 2017
  #359
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
That is the true nature of the music recording business today.

And thanks to 'Ology' for stating something that we all know - if you have 'studied' a pudding subject at a 'pudding' institution like FS or SAE, keep f**king quiet about the fact!

It is a certificate of poverty! (A German expression 'Armutszeugnis' and a brilliant concept.)
I'm less interested in the German expression than the Scottish? one? What is something that's "pudding?"
Old 28th January 2017
  #360
Lives for gear
 
parkay909's Avatar
It's really what you do with it. I graduated from a four year university (MTSU) but was mentored by two 1990s Full Sail grads when I entered the business!

I always say the main advantage of a university degree over three sheets (err full sail) is if you can't find work in or eventually choose to leave the music business you have a real degree on your resume and have studied other subjects to fall back on. I say real degree because most hiring managers, especially those in non-media fields view full sail as a trade school. The nastier ones view it as a degree factory... YMMV is my new motto.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
JustinPhelps / Geekslutz forum
32
JFork / So much gear, so little time
4
ChrisG / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
12

Forum Jump
Forum Jump