The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Full Sail Graduates Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd May 2013
  #301
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansweeney View Post
I'm in ireland, but I've done my research and I have the opportunity to finish my last year in the US (If all gets the go ahead of course). But in general I'm on the fence about spending more money on a cert if I can do it better without one..
Ok...but then how do you get a permit to work if you actually get offered a job?

I'm no expert on this, but a (british) friend working in the US told me yesterday that all the skilled migrant visas (which are hard to get at the best of times if you're a brit - I'm not sure how that applies to the irish) for the year were taken up in 4 days this year...
Old 4th May 2013
  #302
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Ok...but then how do you get a permit to work if you actually get offered a job?

I'm no expert on this, but a (british) friend working in the US told me yesterday that all the skilled migrant visas (which are hard to get at the best of times if you're a brit - I'm not sure how that applies to the irish) for the year were taken up in 4 days this year...
I just got approved for an O-1 visa. Similar to the skilled migrant visa but for people in the creative industries. It's a three year visa, sponsored by the studio I work for but can be transferred to other employers if needs be. My employer had to sign a couple of forms and has very little obligation, so it's not a huge deal for most employers.
Old 4th May 2013
  #303
Here for the gear
 
Richverberation's Avatar
 

I hate to say this. I have had countless "Full Sale" students apply at my studio and when they were put in front of a simple DAW, Pro Tools Mix 24 plus or LE system, it was like a monkey trying to do math. In my world the bills don't get paid if things don't happen fast and accurately. I am all for education, though I am self taught in audio. I can't help but think Full Sale is just pushing students through for 80k a pop. Maybe I just get all the slackers at my place.

Yes a student could finish up at FS then try to open a small studio but now their in debt 80k! How much gear can the average person afford now? A USB mic and a lap top borrowed from mommy? Every time I get some new GEAR its like my whole studio becomes new again. The desire to create is renewed. (Unless I did not check out the new gear on "Gearslutz.com" first) Then I send it back.

I know I'll get ripped for posting this but Im not making this up. Stay in school, or not. If Your hungry to learn You can learn anywhere.
Old 4th May 2013
  #304
Yo this thread is old af.. But so all the Full Sail graduates don't get discouraged..

Here's a sound on sound article about the Neptunes: Recording The Neptunes

They're my favorite producers and N*E*R*D is my favorite band of all time.

Their audio engineer, at least at the time this article was written, is Andrew Coleman. He graduated from Full Sail, albeit a long time ago. He's mixed for Pharrell, Justin Timberlake, etc.

So I don't think it's so much the school but more on the individual. Are they willing to go the extra mile and gain experience while they're in school or solely depend on the school for all their learning expecting a hand out job once they graduate simply because they have Full Sail on their résumé?

I attended Full Sail for 2 terms but having previously done a very short termed intern at a professional studio that mixes for a wide number of celebrities I found that I could do a lot more with my 80k than give it all to full sail. The owner of the studio told me he had Full Sail graduates before n more often than not they still had a lot to learn once they left the school and that I would learn a lot more by participating at a professional studio and learning hands on than by depending on a school to teach me everything. So I took that route. Not saying that's the best decision for everybody but that led me to make my decision.
Old 4th May 2013
  #305
Here for the gear
 
Richverberation's Avatar
 

You have to apply Your self for sure. Like I said, all the FS students I have met were just this side of incompetent. If one is interested in truly learning I'm sure one can at FS, Youtube, the library, GS... etc... I have a degree in Photo and Video with studies in Audio production and not once has that $60k piece of paper landed me a job. All the work I have picked up came from my ability to produce a great product quickly. People skills helps too but thats another thread.
Old 12th July 2013
  #306
I went to SAE and that was a bit of a piece of s***.. but i made a lot of good friends and the environment was great, gets your passion going..

all in all it all depends on how far YOU wanna go.. how dedicated you are and where you want to be and how do you think you could get there.. nothings impossible in this world. Jimi Hendrix never went to Berklee.. and he probably would never had to if he had the chance!
Old 12th July 2013
  #307
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
My freind's son went to a prestigious Chicago media school, (you know the one) B.S. in Audio Engineering. Spent $120k. No real job for two years, but he kept pushing and taking pick-up gigs. Just landed a real gig (full time, nice benefits, future growth potential, interesting and creative workload) at a huge, established Chicago production house.

It can be done. It takes time, perseverence, determination, belief in oneself and the realization that 99% of the people who graduated with your are wannabes who will spend the majority of their job search time goofing off on facebook and complaining that nobody appreciates their genius.

But you have to be the 1%. It is hopeless for the 99%.
Old 13th July 2013
  #308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
My freind's son went to a prestigious Chicago media school, (you know the one) B.S. in Audio Engineering. Spent $120k. No real job for two years, but he kept pushing and taking pick-up gigs. Just landed a real gig (full time, nice benefits, future growth potential, interesting and creative workload) at a huge, established Chicago production house.

It can be done. It takes time, perseverence, determination, belief in oneself and the realization that 99% of the people who graduated with your are wannabes who will spend the majority of their job search time goofing off on facebook and complaining that nobody appreciates their genius.

But you have to be the 1%. It is hopeless for the 99%.
.

Great post.

I would also add, that even many of the people with "great perseverance" never get anywhere.

That is just life. And life is not fair.

You can bust your ass all your life, and wind up with squat.

It happens - to plenty of folks.

.
Old 13th July 2013
  #309
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Great post.

I would also add, that even many of the people with "great perseverance" never get anywhere.

That is just life. And life is not fair.

You can bust your ass all your life, and wind up with squat.

It happens - to plenty of folks.

.
Agreed. Luck definitely plays a role. I do know people who just seemed to have been born under a bad sign.
Old 13th July 2013
  #310
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Agreed. Luck definitely plays a role. I do know people who just seemed to have been born under a bad sign.
.

Word.

And some people are "born under a bad sign" with regard to some aspects of their lives -
and completely over the top lucky with other things!

Sometimes people start out in one direction with no success -
and then discover success and meaning later in a totally new direction.

I absolutely do NOT agree with the whole "you make your own luck" thing...it's BS.

SOMETIMES, it's true. That you can create certain positive experiences and success in your life,
by acting a certain way, and projecting a lot of positive energy into the world - yes.

But tell this to all the people who die in forest fires and tsunamis, or from malaria and rotavirus.

You should have projected better positive energy into the world! Stop being so negative!

Seems all so random.

Reality being random is difficult for most of us to accept.

After all, we have to find SOME way to explain everything!

.
Old 13th July 2013
  #311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Agreed. Luck definitely plays a role. I do know people who just seemed to have been born under a bad sign.
The trick is to be able to take advantage of that luck when it occurs.

ie work your backside off so that when you get that chance, you're in a position to take advantage of it.
Old 13th July 2013
  #312
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The trick is to be able to take advantage of that luck when it occurs.

ie work your backside off so that when you get that chance, you're in a position to take advantage of it.
Old 10th August 2013
  #313
Here for the gear
 

Smile SAE has also opened schools in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. Education is a personal thing. You get out of it what you put into it. At the end of the day, it's you're abilities that will get you booked, not some FS diploma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandino221 View Post
I know that SAE is a nice school. You can get a degree from Middlesex University in the UK. A real degree! Or just find a good school in the US. Make sure it's is accredited by the same accreditation as the state schools in your state. That way you cn go anywhere from there if you want to get a masters. Or even if you want to get a biz degree after that. You don't have to take all the BS classes. It's the right thing to do. Any fast way to get going always has a downside.

SAE also has a few schools in the US.
SAE
Old 10th August 2013
  #314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasanares View Post
SAE also has a few schools in the US.
SAE
Worldwide in fact.
Old 14th December 2013
  #315
Lives for gear
I get emails like this all the time, not just from Full Sail students but from recording programs all around the country.

Quote:
Hi Silk City Music Factory,

I'm a 20 year old recent college graduate from Fullsail University with a degree in Recording Art's. I've been struggling to find some experience, every studio i've emailed so far has not gotten back to me. I'm just looking for somewhere i can work for free to get some experience. Currently i'm working/Songwriting with another artist and freelancing here and there, but I can't seem to find where to start. If you could at least guide me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

***********

P.S if you'd like me to send my resume as well as a letterof recommendation I can send that promptly.
I get more emails like that every day than I do from potential clients. I feel really bad for all these kids who are getting raped by the for-profit education mills. It's unconscionable what these "schools" are doing to young people.

Why didn't full sail even give this kids the basics, like, where is the demo reel? What do they teach there exactly?
Old 14th December 2013
  #316
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
I get emails like this all the time, not just from Full Sail students but from recording programs all around the country.



I get more emails like that every day than I do from potential clients. I feel really bad for all these kids who are getting raped by the for-profit education mills. It's unconscionable what these "schools" are doing to young people.

Why didn't full sail even give this kids the basics, like, where is the demo reel? What do they teach there exactly?
Maybe Full Sail graduates need to contact other Full Sail graduates that have been able to get into the business to help them get their foot in the door. That's how a lot of graduates get jobs. That's what people that went to noteworthy colleges do, they kind of have a fraternity that they leverage. Stanford students will usually give other Stanford students jobs over someone that doesn't have a degree from Stanford, the same goes with a LOT of colleges. It's the Good Ol Boys club. Maybe Full Sail graduates have to do the same thing.

I thought these vocational colleges have some sort of job placement system in place. Getting into the music industry is a tough business, unless you're connected, which is very similar to other industries.
Old 15th December 2013
  #317
I had a Full of Himself - Full Sail Graduate apply for a job here. We do mastering and video post production and I was looking for a paid intern. This person comes over to talk (he lives in Ohio). He gets here and the first words out of his mouth, after being shown around, are where is the SSL console? I told him that we did mastering and video post production just like it said in the advert and that we never mentioned an SSL console. He also wants to know where are all the outboard EQs and limiter/compressors and high end mic preamps. I show him our mastering rack gear but he is unimpressed. We talk for a while and he says that he is looking for a job in a MAJOR recording studio and one that will let him sit behind an SSL or Neve console and record "famous musicians" and that our place isn't up to his standards. I wish him good luck. About a year later he calls up and wants to know if the paid internship is still open. I tell him no. He then tells me about his trying to find work that he wants to do and he is having no luck. He repeats the "I am looking for a job in a major studio where I can record "famous musicians" but is having no luck. I tell him that he will probably have to start at the bottom and work his way up as that is how most people get to the top. He tells me that he attended Full Sail (but I already knew that) and that he got very good grades and did not to want to start at the bottom since he was already "very well trained". I again wished him good luck.

I do not know what happened to him but if that is the type of attitude a majority of FS graduates have it is no wonder they are having problems finding work.

I have since had a couple of other graduates of FS apply for jobs here and only one of them was respectful of our facilities and our equipment. The others were more interested in our "big audio console" and telling me of their "experiences", all at FS, with no real world experience.

Except for being experts in selling a dream that is, in most cases, never going to happen I am not sure what a FS is really all about and how it has gotten the rep it has.

Today marketing is everything and maybe that is where FS really excels.
Old 15th December 2013
  #318
Lives for gear
There was just another thread on this forum where a single poster from either Full Sail or Avid bragged about the new giant 6-figure console install at full sail. I said Africa has blood diamonds, Full Sail has blood consoles.
Old 15th December 2013
  #319
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Maybe Full Sail graduates need to contact other Full Sail graduates that have been able to get into the business to help them get their foot in the door. That's how a lot of graduates get jobs. That's what people that went to noteworthy colleges do, they kind of have a fraternity that they leverage. Stanford students will usually give other Stanford students jobs over someone that doesn't have a degree from Stanford, the same goes with a LOT of colleges. It's the Good Ol Boys club. Maybe Full Sail graduates have to do the same thing.

I thought these vocational colleges have some sort of job placement system in place. Getting into the music industry is a tough business, unless you're connected, which is very similar to other industries.
If there are thousands more graduates than openings each year, thousands of people end up screwed. It doesn't matter if you're in the "full sail" fraternity.
Old 15th December 2013
  #320
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I had a Full of Himself - Full Sail Graduate apply for a job here. We do mastering and video post production and I was looking for a paid intern. This person comes over to talk (he lives in Ohio). He gets here and the first words out of his mouth, after being shown around, are where is the SSL console? I told him that we did mastering and video post production just like it said in the advert and that we never mentioned an SSL console. He also wants to know where are all the outboard EQs and limiter/compressors and high end mic preamps. I show him our mastering rack gear but he is unimpressed. We talk for a while and he says that he is looking for a job in a MAJOR recording studio and one that will let him sit behind an SSL or Neve console and record "famous musicians" and that our place isn't up to his standards. I wish him good luck. About a year later he calls up and wants to know if the paid internship is still open. I tell him no. He then tells me about his trying to find work that he wants to do and he is having no luck. He repeats the "I am looking for a job in a major studio where I can record "famous musicians" but is having no luck. I tell him that he will probably have to start at the bottom and work his way up as that is how most people get to the top. He tells me that he attended Full Sail (but I already knew that) and that he got very good grades and did not to want to start at the bottom since he was already "very well trained". I again wished him good luck.

I do not know what happened to him but if that is the type of attitude a majority of FS graduates have it is no wonder they are having problems finding work.

I have since had a couple of other graduates of FS apply for jobs here and only one of them was respectful of our facilities and our equipment. The others were more interested in our "big audio console" and telling me of their "experiences", all at FS, with no real world experience.

Except for being experts in selling a dream that is, in most cases, never going to happen I am not sure what a FS is really all about and how it has gotten the rep it has.

Today marketing is everything and maybe that is where FS really excels.
yeah, I've seen lots of people, kids and grownups in the entertainment industry walking around with an attitude like their $hit come out gift wrapped.

I see kids coming out of Berklee with an attitude as well. What I see is kids coming-out of Berklee School of Music, and they have enough chops to impress the little children like they are big deal and then they get a bunch of endorsements from MI companies and for some reason they get gigs to conduct in store clinics, yet these Berklee graduates haven't been on any major albums, aren't playing with a major touring act. Go figure that one out.

I learned a long time ago the music industry is filled with a lot of BS artists. Some of them actually get recording contracts and make a lot of money in the industry.
Old 16th December 2013
  #321
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
There was just another thread on this forum where a single poster from either Full Sail or Avid bragged about the new giant 6-figure console install at full sail. I said Africa has blood diamonds, Full Sail has blood consoles.
Blood consoles? Haha, ZING!

Old 16th December 2013
  #322
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Blood consoles? Haha, ZING!

But is it as good as Bop Studios in South Africa? They have THREE big consoles. 1 Focusrite, 1 Neve, 1 SSL. Take you're pick...... Rooms that are INSANE... And Full Sail has what again?

SOS visit BOP Recording Studios - YouTube
Old 16th December 2013
  #323
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
But is it as good as Bop Studios in South Africa? They have THREE big consoles. 1 Focusrite, 1 Neve, 1 SSL. Take you're pick...... Rooms that are INSANE... And Full Sail has what again?

SOS visit BOP Recording Studios - YouTube
Very nice! If they are privately funded then I think their investments are awesome. I have no qualms against rich people or people with more money than me for that matter.

The beef most of us have with Full Sail and the like are that they prey on ignorance. Many kids do not know that the industry is in shambles. Not until they graduate and start cold calling/cold emailing studios and by that time it's too late...they're already in debt up to their eyeballs (or their parents are).

Anyway, here are the latest numbers on Full Sail. This is JUST federal student loan money...it doesn't include people who pay for tuition with other means.

2009-2010: $206,647,774

2010-2011: $337,713,469

2011-2012: $383,956,949


Sources:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/defau...rt20112012.xls

Disgusting.
Old 17th December 2013
  #324
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Very nice! If they are privately funded then I think their investments are awesome. I have no qualms against rich people or people with more money than me for that matter.

The beef most of us have with Full Sail and the like are that they prey on ignorance. Many kids do not know that the industry is in shambles. Not until they graduate and start cold calling/cold emailing studios and by that time it's too late...they're already in debt up to their eyeballs (or their parents are).

Anyway, here are the latest numbers on Full Sail. This is JUST federal student loan money...it doesn't include people who pay for tuition with other means.

2009-2010: $206,647,774

2010-2011: $337,713,469

2011-2012: $383,956,949


Sources:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/defau...rt20112012.xls

Disgusting.
.

infreekingdeed, man.

.
Old 17th December 2013
  #325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I had a Full of Himself - Full Sail Graduate apply for a job here. We do mastering and video post production and I was looking for a paid intern. This person comes over to talk (he lives in Ohio). He gets here and the first words out of his mouth, after being shown around, are where is the SSL console? I told him that we did mastering and video post production just like it said in the advert and that we never mentioned an SSL console. He also wants to know where are all the outboard EQs and limiter/compressors and high end mic preamps. I show him our mastering rack gear but he is unimpressed. We talk for a while and he says that he is looking for a job in a MAJOR recording studio and one that will let him sit behind an SSL or Neve console and record "famous musicians" and that our place isn't up to his standards. I wish him good luck. About a year later he calls up and wants to know if the paid internship is still open. I tell him no. He then tells me about his trying to find work that he wants to do and he is having no luck. He repeats the "I am looking for a job in a major studio where I can record "famous musicians" but is having no luck. I tell him that he will probably have to start at the bottom and work his way up as that is how most people get to the top. He tells me that he attended Full Sail (but I already knew that) and that he got very good grades and did not to want to start at the bottom since he was already "very well trained". I again wished him good luck.

I do not know what happened to him but if that is the type of attitude a majority of FS graduates have it is no wonder they are having problems finding work.

I have since had a couple of other graduates of FS apply for jobs here and only one of them was respectful of our facilities and our equipment. The others were more interested in our "big audio console" and telling me of their "experiences", all at FS, with no real world experience.

Except for being experts in selling a dream that is, in most cases, never going to happen I am not sure what a FS is really all about and how it has gotten the rep it has.

Today marketing is everything and maybe that is where FS really excels.
.

plus a million.

.
Old 17th December 2013
  #326
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
yeah, I've seen lots of people, kids and grownups in the entertainment industry walking around with an attitude like their $hit come out gift wrapped.

I see kids coming out of Berklee with an attitude as well. What I see is kids coming-out of Berklee School of Music, and they have enough chops to impress the little children like they are big deal and then they get a bunch of endorsements from MI companies and for some reason they get gigs to conduct in store clinics, yet these Berklee graduates haven't been on any major albums, aren't playing with a major touring act. Go figure that one out.

I learned a long time ago the music industry is filled with a lot of BS artists. Some of them actually get recording contracts and make a lot of money in the industry.
.

It seems to me that what MOST universities prepare MOST students to do is...teach.

So we have an endless cycle of people who TEACH, and very few people who actually DO.

.
Old 17th December 2013
  #327
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
I get emails like this all the time, not just from Full Sail students but from recording programs all around the country.



I get more emails like that every day than I do from potential clients. I feel really bad for all these kids who are getting raped by the for-profit education mills. It's unconscionable what these "schools" are doing to young people.

Why didn't full sail even give this kids the basics, like, where is the demo reel? What do they teach there exactly?
.

word.

.
Old 17th December 2013
  #328
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
If there are thousands more graduates than openings each year, thousands of people end up screwed. It doesn't matter if you're in the "full sail" fraternity.
.

exactly, the numbers are HUGELY against you.

...as they are in most areas of arts "industries".

.
Old 19th December 2013
  #329
So Full Sail is a good school, right?
Old 19th December 2013
  #330
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Full Snail will get you there eventually.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
JustinPhelps / Geekslutz forum
32
JFork / So much gear, so little time
4
ChrisG / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
12

Forum Jump
Forum Jump