The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AAARRHHHH! Sick of Soldering!
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

AAARRHHHH! Sick of Soldering!

I've just been re-wiring my studio to accommodate a new desk, patchbays and outboard. My figures are sore with stripping & twisting balanced cable and I'm totally [email protected]#ked off with soldering... Sorry just needed to vent some anger! We've all been through it!

Ah, I feel better now. must keep thinking " It's all for the greater good, It's all for the greater good"

Steve
Old 29th May 2006
I just finished building 8 channels of Seventh Circle A12's now I have to rewire and solder everything this week grr!

I feel your pain.

V
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I hope you're not stripping wire the stone-age way, where you have to hold the wire in one hand and pull with the other.

I love soldering. It's like therapy.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I hope you're not stripping wire the stone-age way, where you have to hold the wire in one hand and pull with the other.

I love soldering. It's like therapy.
Yep its all being done the hard way! I don't like the thought of buying crap insert cables. You spend a fortune on great gear only to send the whole mix in and out through bell wire! 100m drum of VDC cable and sore fingures is the only way!

Thank you all for sharing your pain. together we are stronger to indure lol!!!
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm just about finished up with my nightmare , 300 connectors . Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

But you need to invest in a wire stripper that does the holding and the pulling at the same time. Big hand saver.
Old 29th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
But you need to invest in a wire stripper that does the holding and the pulling at the same time. Big hand saver.
i have one and love it!
absolutely the way to go.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
LOL!
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could not agree more. Every time I buy a relevant tool for a job, it depresses me to think about how many times I did it the hard way, when I could've just bought a $10 wire stripper.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could you give some examples?

The ones I'm familiar with require too long of a piece of
wire to work with.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have been soldering 9-5 and mixing nights- it makes it REALLY fun to push faders with 850-degree burn blisters on your fingetips, doesn't it?

Sharing your pain, bro-

JvB
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

the biggest bitch for me is keeping the connectors and the cable in contact in just the perfect way so i can solder them together. those freakin' helping hands don't work for crap!

iron in one hand, solder in the other... am i missing something?

gregoire
del ubik
Old 30th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
the biggest bitch for me is keeping the connectors and the cable in contact in just the perfect way so i can solder them together. those freakin' helping hands don't work for crap!

gregoire
del ubik
i often end up with solder being held with my teeth and then breathing smoke till i can't see and am choking.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I too have made myself VERY sick from breathing solder fumes on extended soldering sessions. I finally installed a louvered clothes dryer vent in my shop door, I screwed a muffin fan to the inside of the vent-blowing out & connected it to a 20' collapsable dryer hose (think slinky). The hose is easy to position on my soldering station & pulls away all smoke & fumes taking them directly outside, and at 20' its long enough to reach any point on my workbench. It stays there collapsed until I need to solder, then all I have to do is pull out & position the hose & plug in the fan. The fan was free, salvaged from an old computer, the vent & 20' of hose were about $20.00 @ Home Depot. Soldering has never been more fun & I'm glad....I am building about 100 patch & mic cables to upgrade every cable in the studio.
While I'm on the subject of cables...This weekend, at the suggestion of a Tapeop member, I bought a Brother P-Touch labelmaker. This thing is a great tool!
It uses 3/8" or 1/2" self adhesive label tape & prints labels that are the perfect size for labeling every cable in the studio....they are easy to read & have a very professional appearance, best of all the Office Depot price was $29.95. One more problem solved!...Only a staggering number remain!
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Something I've often wondered about the smoke/steam that comes off of solder; do you think any of the metals actually get airborne, or do you think it's vapor from the core?
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH
Could you give some examples?

The ones I'm familiar with require too long of a piece of
wire to work with.

Google came up with the same one I use:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

(OMG! That URL is six lines long!)

They're cheap but they work. I'm sure for closer to $20 you can get much better ones.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Just bought another 104 TRS jacks someone save me from this hell.... please
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn
Just bought another 104 TRS jacks someone save me from this hell.... please
I feel your pain. Here is what I have to deal with the next week......:

50m of 8-pair Mogami cable
2 X 96 Bantam patchbay
192 EDAC connectors
576 crimp pins, which also has to be soldered, because of thin Mogami cable....
...and what seems like thousands of XLR-F, XLR-M and DSub connectors.

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least its my own studio....

Stein Tore
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins
I feel your pain. Here is what I have to deal with the next week......:

50m of 8-pair Mogami cable
2 X 96 Bantam patchbay
192 EDAC connectors
576 crimp pins, which also has to be soldered, because of thin Mogami cable....
...and what seems like thousands of XLR-F, XLR-M and DSub connectors.

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least its my own studio....

Stein Tore
lol, crap ain't it! After a full day I'd only made 16 insert cables and about a dozen TRS to TRS. I've been at it all day how can I have got through so little????
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn
lol, crap ain't it! After a full day I'd only made 16 insert cables and about a dozen TRS to TRS. I've been at it all day how can I have got through so little????
16 insert cables and a dozen TRS-TRS in a day???? You're doing great, mate!

Stein Tore
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins
16 insert cables and a dozen TRS-TRS in a day???? You're doing great, mate!

Stein Tore
Thanks bud! I've got "twist the copper cable" sore figures to prove it!
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

gregoire
del ubik
i'm cheap, so i use 2 pliers. one with rubber band tied at end, so it'll close on its own, and the other is a bigger one with some weight.

use the rubber band plier to hold connector in place, and use the weight plier to weigh down the cable. if you do it just right, it'll work.

check it out (note: no actual soldering taking place in pics. set up just for demo purpose )...

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7...dering19eq.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/292...ngclose7fd.jpg
Old 2nd June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
i'm cheap, so i use 2 pliers. one with rubber band tied at end, so it'll close on its own, and the other is a bigger one with some weight.

use the rubber band plier to hold connector in place, and use the weight plier to weigh down the cable. if you do it just right, it'll work.

check it out (note: no actual soldering taking place in pics. set up just for demo purpose )...

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7...dering19eq.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/292...ngclose7fd.jpg
cool!heh
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

I had to solder an instrument cable a few weeks ago, and was having the same problem. I ended up putting the foot of a light chair on the jack ... . Won't go any further ...

I thought I was doing something wrong (new to this), but now I see I'm not the only one with these problems.

There must be an easier solution ... no ?
Old 2nd June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatie

There must be an easier solution ... no ?
a helper!
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I think everyone should own a Panavise. They're good for holding boards, but I wish they'd make a head that opened a bit further.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I found these little clamps with suction cups on them a while back and they work ok for soldering cable, actually not bad at all. Speaking of trs cables, you gotta try out the QUAD CABLE! My god, now that is a pain. 24awg wires and all 3 of my wire cutters only go to 20. I like the wire strippers that Max posted but can't find nothing around here. I remember owning a cheap pair way back but why are these so hard to find these days?

edit: Blueman714! Great idea! Although I think the lead has already gone to my head......
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Nut

Sounds like a job for the Teledyne Stripall.

I can strip wire all day long and still be smiling at the end of it.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com used to make a pretty cool deal for holding the connectors while you soldered them, too...a similar thing isn't so hard to DIY.

Byron Jacquot

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search