The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT-Beat Detective
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

PT-Beat Detective

hey i'm wondering...how many people use beat detective? its a new feature i just learned in pro tools...and i must say...its ****ing handy..but at the same time..do drummers all over the industry rely on this?

danny carey? do you think his engineer is doing this?
what about lars ulrich? even tho he's ****ed mp3 sharing all up...what do you guys think..

really no bull**** about the guys-i don't care what you 'think' about them..i just wanna know if your aware of them editing their drum tracks..or does it come down to quality of the drummer?

all input is welcome..i'm young and interested

i think its great i can put a tighten up a drummer...but is this like 'auto-tune' for drummers?

in the outcome we want the best possible sounding stuff-i got that...but give me some ethics...do we always want to chop up drum tracks as engineers? i noticed i lost alot of his feel...i can add that back in with some swing..but when do i do this? before or after the guitars are down?

hope you guys know where i'm coming from...
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Guru

Wink

BD is a last resort for me..
Use your ears,use the program to fix things,not "perfect" things..
Just remember,Perfect is boring. don't trust the computer for feel ,ever!

And no.. Joe Barresi does not Beat Detective Danny Carey's drums ,
He is just an extremely precise player..

There's a thread around here on the whole subject and Joe himself dispelled any BD rumours
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I imagine Ulrich gets the BD treatment these days. On the documentary showing the recording of the "Black" album they mention that his drum parts are always extensively edited.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's become a sound unto its own. Think engineers enjoy doing this sort of thing?
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Guru

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv
It's become a sound unto its own. Think engineers enjoy doing this sort of thing?
Completely dehumanizing the drums?!..
No thanks..
.It's fine for little fixes. but chopping everthing to grid is just lame.
Beat Destroyer/ Detective,Like AnalTune is so overused these days in commercial pop/rock, it's not funny.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I love the sound of drums to a grid, Im not gonna lie. When it just locks in! But if the drummer is really off. . . and you still edit it to a grid and you hear the tear in the cymbals. . . not good. Its like the slur in AT when you pull a vocal too far.

My 2.99
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningBefore
. . . and you still edit it to a grid and you hear the tear in the cymbals. . . not good.
That's just the result of poor editing.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
That's just the result of poor editing.
how would you go about the obvious phasing issues that come up with beat detective not allowing the cymbals to ride out like they would naturaly?

the cut off endings-?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

i let others fix that stuff...time and pitch correction is against my religion..learn to play before you record
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

man i totaly agree with you-

the reason i post this-is because i'm young and getting my name around pittsburgh-and this lateset band that wanted to work with me-kinda pushed me away because i was unfamiliar with beat detective to make drums snap on that grid-

my ethics was always-if you can't play solid as a group-your not ready to record?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx
how would you go about the obvious phasing issues that come up with beat detective not allowing the cymbals to ride out like they would naturaly?

the cut off endings-?
Well, precise 'trimming' and cross-fading come to mind.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

what exactally does BD do? Andhow does it work? I have it but never used it.... maybe I should!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217
what exactally does BD do? Andhow does it work? I have it but never used it.... maybe I should!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...toolsnotes.htm

-well i understood going in and doing the editing yourself---but that could cost a band an extra hour to really match cymbals slide things over...
i was wondering if BD had any cool tricks other than adjusting its parameters

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search