The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please don't do this.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

Please don't do this.

I was looking for Quad Eight stuff on eBay.

I came across a nice frame to house units. Auction #7417303752

Now, keep in mind this is a metal frame. Just a frame. No units, no power supply, no other parts to speak of. A metal box, completely empty.

I asked the seller of this unit if anything else was included (such as a power supply, an interfacing backboard, cables, etc...) Maybe it was a stupid question on my part, but I thought I'd ask just to make sure this wasn't better than it really looked.

The response I got (for a question about a metal box):

"No, sorry, what you see is what you get. This is an original Quad
Eight rack from Indigo Ranch Studios in Malibu. They used this
to record countless Neil Young, Korn, Limp Bizkit records, etc."

Now, tell me again how this fine piece of metal is going to make my music sound more like Neil Young, Korn, or Limp Bizkit? Or are you saying I can attract that kind of clientele to my apartment to record? Please...

Sorry if this person frequents these boards, but really, don't try to sell me a metal chassis as being the greatest piece of equipment ever, because it once housed units that the fine engineers at Indigo Ranch may or may not have chosen for the aforementioned artists. The first two words you typed were all I needed.

I get this way too much on eBay.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

don´t forget alot of people are also superstitious, so they think that by having a piece of metal that belong to so and so could bring them luck. It´s not as crazy as you may think. There is some logic to stuff like that. just a thought.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

Please give me the logic Jose, because that piece of metal is $50. I'm willing to spend $50 if you can promise me that all my mixes will sound better once I put it in my rack.

I will bet you a million dollars whoever buys that, will not mix better because of it, and will not all of the sudden have Neil Young walking through his doors.

Neil Young to his manager:
"Yeah man, we can't go back to that studio. They sold that piece of empty metal in their rack. We need to find out who they sold it to, and record our next album there."

-Aaron
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

I guess it's cool to know that a small piece of your rack was once in the presence of "greatness".

You can now touch the rack and "feel" Neil Young's lack of proper hygiene.
Lucky guy!
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Guru

I think you should tell the guy you'll buy it, but only if he can produce a Certificate of Authenticity.

The last thing you need is a Fake Neil Young piece of metal...
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

I'd highly reccomend sending it in to Klaus Heyne before you commit to buying it, just so that he can check it over. I've seen hundreds of those pieces of metal, and they never sound alike. You want to make sure that you're getting a good one. In the rush for vintage gear that started in the 90's, most of these metal pieces ended up in the hands of unqualified techs that butchered the things in an attempt at refurbishment. The years of smoke an grime that accumulate on the rack ears also degrade the sound. But if you get a good one, the original metal racks have that magic sound that the reissuses just aren't capable of.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanColson
I'd highly reccomend sending it in to Klaus Heyne before you commit to buying it, just so that he can check it over. I've seen hundreds of those pieces of metal, and they never sound alike. You want to make sure that you're getting a good one. In the rush for vintage gear that started in the 90's, most of these metal pieces ended up in the hands of unqualified techs that butchered the things in an attempt at refurbishment. The years of smoke an grime that accumulate on the rack ears also degrade the sound. But if you get a good one, the original metal racks have that magic sound that the reissuses just aren't capable of.
LMFAO heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search