The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm sick of the hype. Why isn't #### getting as much love?
Old 4th June 2013
  #241
Lives for gear
 
Airon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakebreezeaudio View Post
In fact most of my VST won't scan with Reaper which is a surprise. It only brings up izotopes Ozone Plug-in.
There's a bunch of problems with IK products on Windows.

There are some threads in the Reaper General forum that deal with this. You'll have a much bigger crowd of ideas and experience to support you there with that specific problem.
Old 4th June 2013
  #242
Lives for gear
 
Airon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
Alot of the people on here haven't worked in a studio or had the studio etiquette or have seen why protools is the main daw of choice for professional recording facilities. Things like changing plugins mid way especially when im printing a take is a no no. Having hardware inserts and being able to a/b a compressor takes less than a minute but that is a mystery to most who have never used it. Its a very different world than from the home recording world. For the professional environment it makes sense.
PT is one of the choices people make, if it fits their workflows.

And that's not the case for a lot of people, while for plenty of folks it is. It's a personal choice as well.

You may have read the comments about how Reaper looks bad, but on the other hand its default theme actually turns out to be a very good compromise considering the feature set on display and the space they require on-screen. Ever time I try a different theme, it usually turns out to have something that is less accessible than I'd like, so the default theme or some nice derivates of it are put to use.

I've spent 25-30k hours looking at Protools. It's ok. It's a matrix maze on the mixer. It has improved a little since PT8 here and there. The lack of change can partly be blamed on Avids lack of resources, vision and the reluctance of Protools users in dealing with change. The PT userbase is just as twitchy about change as every other DAW community I've encountered, whether its the mature or immature end of the user spectrum.

I'm sorry ladies and gents, but us PT users are not special at all. The DUC and beta forums prove that every time.


Now what does PT fail at ?

Customization. If you don't need that or don't want to deal with that, fine. Plenty of folks have made the marginal effort to explore it in other DAWs, and it's a simple fact that PT is the last to the party.

For example, it's the only professional tool I've encountered where people cannot make their own keymap. It's a total failure in that regard, and all the "but it has X" arguments will not gloss over that fact.

I no longer want to deal with that if I don't have to. So, Reaper is easy to get, easy to try and easy to learn, especially for engineers willing to learn a trick or two. You come out the other end with more time for creative decisions. That's what I took away from Reaper.

Mind you, Studio One has a good reputation in this regard as well, and its most basic version is free. There are plenty of choices, but Reaper and Studio One can be said to be the easiest to try.
Old 4th June 2013
  #243
Lives for gear
 
Jazz Noise's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus View Post
Having hardware inserts and being able to a/b a compressor takes less than a minute but that is a mystery to most who have never used it
I think Reason is the only DAW that can't do this. I often have things sending in and out of my mixer for re-amping, using effects and last week I'd a makeshift echo chamber.

Look, you really can't just keep brandishing the word Pro to make what you say true - it's just reinforcing the marketing. I don't see what PT offers that other's don't. And while Reaper is still in the early days of trying to create an audio quantize system and the MIDI is a pain, it does alot of things as good or better than PT for cheaper. And it has some features PT simply won't ever have.

Maybe if Reaper was called Reaper Pro I could just repeatedly say Pro until all the other arguements realised they were futile when faced with 21st centuary Brand Power...might is right!
Old 4th June 2013
  #244
Registered User
 

Ableton Live all the way....


*runs off.
Old 27th July 2018
  #245
Here for the gear
 

Reaper>PT

Allow me to explain...

YouTube this says it ALL!!!!
Old 1st August 2018
  #246
Gear Maniac
 

Protools all the way for me.
Reaper may be great, but its as ugly as all hell! A dogs breakfast.
Old 2nd August 2018
  #247
Gear Addict
 
BadYodeler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radial185 View Post
Reaper may be great, but its as ugly as all hell! A dogs breakfast.
That is true only with respect to the PT skin:





Old 4th August 2018
  #248
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
I bet I'd make a fortune selling piss on (DAW logo here) stickers...

8 DAW, you've been through 8... your money could have been spent better. Unless you got it for free... if you can get to the point in 2 paragraphs people will read your post.

Reaper is OK, tools are tools use whatever works. I've released 7 albums, all in pro tools in 4 years. All I have ever used is Pro Tools and an AT2020 mic. If you heard my releases in order you'd swear I dropped cash a lot because it gets better and better. Its because I know how to use what I have.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Care to post some examples?
Old 10th September 2019
  #249
Gear Addict
 
themixtape's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
That is true only with respect to the PT skin:





Which exact Pro Tools Theme is that, for Reaper? I've paid Albert for past ones of his, but they never look like that one. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, theme-wise, to make it look like that.

Posting on my own thread, 7 years after the fact. Still loving Reaper, and so glad to see that Reaper is getting a TON of love, these days, especially from Kenny Gioia and his superb tutorials (and also Jon at the Reaper Blog). Good stuff.

May the underdog continue to rise.
Old 10th September 2019
  #250
Lives for gear
Reaper is great if you're into Minecraft and Sudoku.

If you're into intuitively operating a DAW .... not so great.
Old 10th September 2019
  #251
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Reaper is great if you're into Minecraft and Sudoku.

If you're into intuitively operating a DAW .... not so great.
There is no intuitive daw. The only intuitive daw is the one you took 30 minutes to actually learn.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump