The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Could everyone just NEVER type: "rawk" or "the bay" ever again? Equalisers (HW)
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrovic
(Nothing better than trying to create an "us vs them" flame war and hijacking a perfectly legitimate post, now is there? )
Well, at least people chose to come to the US

my predecessors may be illiterate, but yours are criminals

Peter
(game on)
Old 24th May 2006

They may have chosen, but they lived to regret their choice. They said to themselves "geez, I shore wished we hadn'tsta cum to this dang place" (in best yokel voice).

I'll give Americans one thing - they are very good at marketing. That's how they've managed to convince so many immigrants over the years eat a **** sandwich (in moving to the US).

Whereas my forebears may have been sent here, but when they got here, yea verily they were pleased and knew that they had found paradise.

Chris

(PS I have nothing against yanks - but you're all so fun to tease!!!)

(PPS As for the criminals bit - no comment. Apparently I'm related to Ned Kelly. Most famous criminal in Australian history)
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:

(PPS As for the criminals bit - no comment. Apparently I'm related to Ned Kelly. Most famous criminal in Australian history)
dude, I found this bitchin helmet on The Bay and it RAWKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Could everyone just NEVER type: "rawk" or "the bay" ever again?-kellygangned1603.jpg  
Old 24th May 2006

Nice link between the real topic of this post and my irrelevant crap!!!
Old 24th May 2006
Quote:
My complaint is Americans, whose predecessors were illiterate and spelt a number of words incorrectly
Wait a minute - weren't most of our "predecessors" English? Didn't the English invent the language? How does that make them illiterate?

Quote:
Or words that simply don't exist like "ketchup". Seriously, that's just a bunch of letters thrown in a pile. It's TOMATO SAUCE, people!!!
You couldn't be more wrong. Tomato sauce is just that - tomato sauce - used for pasta and pizza. No one in America would put tomato sauce on a hamburger (itself a a misnomer - it is chopped beef, not chopped ham) or french fries.

ketchup (also spelled catsup) has a nice entry in Wikipedia:

"The word "ketchup" may have come from the Malay k?chap, a fish sauce that does not contain tomatoes. The Malay word means taste. A more direct origin for the word may be the Cantonese dialect (Chinese) phrase ke-tsiap ( ?? ) which literally means eggplant sauce. The Cantonese phrase for tomato is fan-ke, which means "foreign eggplant".

Ketchup in the 1800s referred to any sauce made with vinegar. As the century progressed, tomato ketchup began its ascent in popularity, influenced by an American enthusiasm for tomatoes."

And anyone living in Australia, with all its quirky takes on the English language, should be very careful thowing those stones with all the glass in the house.

-gil
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
Wait a minute - weren't most of our "predecessors" English? Didn't the English invent the language? How does that make them illiterate?

You couldn't be more wrong. Tomato sauce is just that - tomato sauce - used for pasta and pizza. No one in America would put tomato sauce on a hamburger (itself a a misnomer - it is chopped beef, not chopped ham) or french fries.

"The word "ketchup" may have come from the Malay k?chap, a fish sauce that does not contain tomatoes. The Malay word means taste. A more direct origin for the word may be the Cantonese dialect (Chinese) phrase ke-tsiap ( ?? ) which literally means eggplant sauce. The Cantonese phrase for tomato is fan-ke, which means "foreign eggplant".

Ketchup in the 1800s referred to any sauce made with vinegar. As the century progressed, tomato ketchup began its ascent in popularity, influenced by an American enthusiasm for tomatoes."

And anyone living in Australia, with all its quirky takes on the English language, should be very careful thowing those stones with all the glass in the house.

-gil
Well, lower class English, Irish migrants as well as a fair amount of Chinese that were shipped in to build the railways.
I have no problem with a certain amount of bending of the Mother Tongue. (So the Mother's the hero, nice twist...)
Languages change, but mistakes are mistakes.

My bugbear is definite.
Not 'definate'.
JR
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
depends where you are. northern east coast, English. NY and northern Jersey, Dutch. Southern Jersey, PA, Delaware, Swedes.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Werd! As soon as people stop posting credits in their siglines.

Rawkin´ like Dokken.
Gustav
f*ck that. I want to know who's advice I'm taking. I wish we all did it.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

go for it. but please don't call your guitar an Axe.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've got an axe to grind with that...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you are gonna (!) slag the Americans off for their language, I think it's fair to start with 'gotten'. What kind of word is that FFS! Its NOT:

"I've gotten a cold"

IT'S,

"I've got a cold"

CERTAINLY NOT:

"I've gone gotten a cold"

AND IT'S NOT:

"I've gotten used to it"

IT'S

"I've got used to it"

As far as the '-ize' thing goes, maybe check the history of that, I seem to remember that the Brits (thats me) were the ones to throw a hissy fit in the 17th century (something about a revolution?) and refused to standardize / standardise on the one spelling.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

it is no worse than some people capitalizing every other word...IMHO, of course.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
My complaint is Americans,
When Australia was built on a deserted island in 1984, they couldn't think of a name for it. Most people wanted to call it 'mate' because it was a good word, but this one bloke said "hey there sports, I've jus' been to this wonderful place called Austria - let's steal their name and spell it wrong" they all agreed that was a bonza idea.

You cant understand our language because you’re all descendents of hard-core criminals that the English sent away from civilization.

And why should we take stock in someone that comes from a place that is 90% sand dunes.

Im going to boycott Australian imports! Wait...there arent any.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
it is no worse than some people capitalizing every other word...IMHO, of course.
Sorry about THAT, I must learn to use the bold function in these forums :-)

Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You think that's more cheesey than the gear lists?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

It bugs me when people say "I feel nauseous" when I think "I feel nauseated" sounds much better.

OK?

Or should I say:

A-IGHT? heh
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz
CERTAINLY NOT: "I've gone gotten a cold"
What about, "Man, my cold just gots to get got."
Old 24th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you are gonna (!) slag the Americans off for their language, I think it's fair to start with 'gotten'. What kind of word is that FFS!
Easy there. It's actually accepted as the standard American past participle form of got -- noted as distinct from the standard British "got" p.p. form by usage authorities. It's not incorrect usage, it's just the American dialect.

Now, what kind of food is the British, er, "pudding" FFS! heh
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry about THAT, I must learn to use the bold function in these forums :-)

ZING~!fuuck heh
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

The problem with Australians is not that they are the off-spring of convicts;
the problem is that a significant proportion of the population must be the brood of the wardens!

Similarly the problem with Americans isn't that their forefathers were poor and downtrodden but the continuing influx of religious nutters starting with those pilgrim dudes (back in the days the spanish or french would have just burned them, guess the english hoped Americas indigenous people would do for them so they just sold them a boat) right up to those bhagwanis and beyond. Just a shame that religious folks tend to be so very fecund...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

So what was this thread about, again ?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

-gil

And Bob's your uncle. heh
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

yessss,

more FECUND less RAWK

doesn't that RAWK kid look like veruca salt after eating the blueberry?
Old 26th May 2006
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
It is still acceptable to use the word "rawk" when referring to the sound made by a parrot, crow or falcon.
as long as it's not a f-aal-cr-um heh

so THIS is where people go in 2006 to get sh*tfaced after a hard day at the office heh

guess i had it all wrong - en i was still goin' dowen tue me local poob.
Old 29th May 2006

Quote:

-gil

I don't have to worry about throwing stones - smashed all the windows long ago

The only serious issues I have are these:

1) "Australian culture" slowly getting buried by American culture. In some cases that's not a bad thing (like the words "okker" and "bonza" slowly disappearing from the Aussie lexicon), but in other ways I like our Australian, um, stuff. "Strewth" - now there's a word I never want to hear again.

2) No imports from Australia, huh? Ever heard of trade restrictions? Tarriffs? Protectionist policies? The US is the master of these. Trying to export to the US is pretty bloody tough. I could mention that Australian manufacturing is so non-existent to be an oxymoron, and anyways it's hard to make anything for export when you're already exported all of your raw materials to China to make goods and import them back to you at a premium, but that argument's not going to help me now, is it?

Where was I? Oh yeah. No serious issues, other than the astronomical price I'm expected to pay for music gear here in the merry ol' land of Oz.

Geez, now I'm quoting Wizard of Oz - how American can you get?

A quintessential Australian in danger of being overrun by imperial American warlords.

Sorry about the post - I've spent the last 8 hours (and it's only 3:30 in the arvo) reviewing financials for a building company . Really makes me wonder why I chose the law over music (well, apart from the $$$). Brain go numb now.

Rawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Could everyone just NEVER type: "rawk" or "the bay" ever again?-dennislillee_narrowweb__200x303.jpg  
Old 30th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
I have no problem with a certain amount of bending of the Mother Tongue. (So the Mother's the hero, nice twist...)
Languages change, but mistakes are mistakes.
Languages change, so do spellings (color/colour) and meaning of words (calling a child "cute" was once an insult).

You live in Switzerland, how many languages are spoken there - at least 3, yes?

Schweizerdeutsch makes my brain hurt. Since Germany is referred to as the "Fatherland", doesn't that make High German the 'Father Tongue"?

-gil
Old 30th May 2006

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
I don't mind it when people say that. It makes it easier to spot the dumbasses.
LMAO....that was funny
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear
I'm English. (although I live in the US)

You Septics and Bruces can fight it out amongst yourselves.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
Also, f-o-l-c-r-o-m, not "fulcrom, fulcrum, or folcrum."

There was a thread where Justin from Rolls music explained the spelling, although I don't remember what it was.

Folcrom
Thanks for mentioning that one. Though the thing that really bothers me is when people call my company "Rolls." That's a different company. We're called Roll Music Systems. Roll Music, if you need brevity. Easy to remember, it's what's left over when you take all the Rawk out of Rock & Roll music. I don't know what "Rolls Music" is, but it isn't me.

I'm actually not too bothered by misspellings of Folcrom, which is a made-up spelling anyway. But it does make it difficult to keep track of threads on the topic of our product.

If anybody cares, we wanted to recycle the screenprinting art on the early prototypes that had rotary switches labeled O-L-C-R-O. The two "off" positions were only so that the C would be in the center. Folcrom was the best word we could think up to use those letters.

And while we're at it, the Brits among us have to learn that "orientated" is not a word. It's "oriented." Here's a clue: If adding an extra suffix doesn't change the meaning of the word, then don't do it.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Rawkin´ like Dokken.
Gustav
heh heh heh heh

now THAT wasnt VERY nice THERE LABS But IT was SURE FUNNY I tell YOU.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search