The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Tascam service really suck?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Does Tascam service really suck?

They have a Tascam FW 1884 in their service now for 3 weeks for a simple IC chip for the firewire ports.They keep putting me off for repair time and it sounds like the operation is in the size of a public restroom. The lady that answers the phone puts me on hold for 5 seconds and apparently she is in the repair shop.Probably my last Tascam purchase.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yup...sold mine. Get a Onyx and a Mackie control! They Repaired a bad pot I had in a 1642 VLZ and like five other things for the hell of it, NO CHARGE!

Never buy a Ta(scam) again!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tascam is the worst company out! I wish we as comsumers could do something about this.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217
Tascam is the worst company out! I wish we as comsumers could do something about this.
You can start by not supporting them.

They are known for hurting thier customers... it amazes me.

I bought a digital console (SX-1LE) for $4000 street price)... (this was a new model, just released)..and 6 months later....yes...6 months later...they dropped it. Discontinued.

The street value of my SX-1 dropped to $1300 and I had a ton of upgrades..

But here is the worst part IMO...My purchase was based on promised and published upgrade features. In fact my unit had all of the hardware...only none of it worked.

They got me to buy the unit with published promises of future (as in a few weeks) revisions... but never implemented them.

This list of non-functioning features that my unit had was astounding.
Tascam actually had the knobs, the LEDs, the displays and the hardware ALREADY on the units...but at the last minute they said...nope. Sorry not going to implement those promises. Your screwed. The unit is dropped.... You HAVE to live with it as is.

No ADAT sync...no 96K compatibility... etc...

Man I was stuck holding a brand new dying dinosaur.
I would have never bought it had I known my basic needs weren't going to be met.
I called for weeks asking about the 96k upgrade..and kept hearing that 'it was coming'..hang in there. 6 months is obviously way past the time to return a unit to a store.

I just don't get it...
Customer loyalty is all we have nowadays.

It surprises me that they are still in business.
No more Tascam for me... there is NOTHING they make that can't be had by another company with real support.

Thanks for the chance to rant....!!

I wish them the best.... but I am no longer thier customer.

Much Respect,
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Years ago I had a Tascam 38 1/2" 8 track that needed a bit of work and I checked into Tascam service. I got numerous first-hand reports of unbelievably bad customer service so I ended up taking it to a local independant pro audio service center and insisted that they do all work in-house and verify that they already had all of the required parts and wouldn't have to wait for anything from Tascam.

I haven't owned any Tascam gear for years now, so take that into consideration, but I continue to hear these reports of extremely bad service including not just the usual slow repair times, but completely ignoring customer calls, letters, and emails, and even multiple independant reports of Tascam LOSING the customer's product and taking forever to resolve their screw up.

DP
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

This thread is timely for future buyers: I've been considering purchasing an HD-P2 for some field work, but - after reading a bit about their non-existant service, not to mention the inherent bugs with the unit (tho they seemed to provide updates/fixes promptly) I think I'm going to steer away from buying it - nothing is worth buying if it won't be serviced promptly, or is discontinued and subsequent tough luck for their customer(s)...

Thx for the truthful (and disappointing) responses everyone!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I've owned Tascam equipment long ago, but haven't had recent experience with their customer service. That's because I've refused to buy any of their products for quite a while now.

A couple of years ago I thought about getting something, and went looking for their user forums to check it out. Gone. They pulled the plug on *all* their forums, no announcement, no reasons, no new location. Just deleted. Then, months later some magically reappeared, again with no explanation.

I decided I certainly did not want to spend any of my money or time with any company that was that arrogant to its customer base.

The other thing that continually amazes me about Tascam is their record of product obsolescence. They will often spend a couple of years or more announcing and building up a marketing blitz for something, then a few months after it is finally produced (in an incomplete state), it is discontinued.

For some reason, despite known poor quality and the cheapest feeling hardware on much of their gear, people keep buying it and putting up with it.

Believe it or not, I have not lost any sleep over my decision to not buy their products. I doubt they have either.

Steve
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
I've owned Tascam equipment long ago, but haven't had recent experience with their customer service. That's because I've refused to buy any of their products for quite a while now.

A couple of years ago I thought about getting something, and went looking for their user forums to check it out. Gone. They pulled the plug on *all* their forums, no announcement, no reasons, no new location. Just deleted. Then, months later some magically reappeared, again with no explanation.
Hey Bro..
Those Tascam forums 'showed up' again because I started them again.
TASCAM could care little about it's users group.

I put together the new site, put moderators in place and started building the community again... (I have done that for a few music companies)

On a serious side note...my partner was in a brutal life-altering accident last year...
Our love and support go out to his family and we say a prayer for brother Bruce.
May you continue to heal and prosper!! And I hope he finds the strength to build that community into something unremovable.

Quote:
The other thing that continually amazes me about Tascam is their record of product obsolescence. They will often spend a couple of years or more announcing and building up a marketing blitz for something, then a few months after it is finally produced (in an incomplete state), it is discontinued.
Man isn't that true!

Quote:
For some reason, despite known poor quality and the cheapest feeling hardware on much of their gear, people keep buying it and putting up with it.
They do well with budget gear like the 2488 and CD practice gizmos etc. They have a much smaller 'pro' group nowadays. Dang small.
The DM24 (discontinued) The DM3200, the non-exisistent X-48, MX2424, RA1000, and those FW interface control surfaces...not much else for pro audio.

They used to be so strong...

Customer loyalty goes alot farther than the quick sale, quick dollar.

They have a new manager... I hope he can turn it around.

Much Respect,
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Not likely to turn it around from what I have experienced.I had to call them again after they said it was repaired last Monday and it would ship Tues.Now, I call today and they said it would ship today, no sorry, no conatct to let me know about the delay.This is a world-class suck organization.Thankfully, this is my last Tascam piece and it will be gone as soon as I get my hands on it and firesale it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search