The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ashlee Simpson and the hidden agenda Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th May 2006
  #151
dbm
Lives for gear
 

All music is subjective. Wagner is no "better" than Ashlee Simpson because "better" implies subjectivity. Kinda like me saying that beef is better than chicken. I think Sqye knows this but in my opinion, while sounding like a relatively intelligent human being, gets in his own way by saying something to the effect of:

"I don't listen to Led Zepplin any more because I am not mongoloid"

or

"I don't watch Sesame Street because I don't drink out of a sippy cup any more"

Perhaps, similar to what another guy said, I watch Sesame Street to remember the innocence of childhood. Maybe, I listen to Zepplin because their music produces various enjoyable feelings in me like good art should.

For the record, I find Wagner dull and unenjoyable, but I guess thats just due to my utter lack of comprehension. I can understand where Sqye is coming from though, I used to make comments like those when I was 12.
Old 24th May 2006
  #152
Lives for gear
 
catfish11's Avatar
 

"All music is subjective. Wagner is no "better" than Ashlee Simpson because "better" implies subjectivity. Kinda like me saying that beef is better than chicken. I think Sqye knows this but in my opinion, while sounding like a relatively intelligent human being, gets in his own way by saying something to the effect of:

"I don't listen to Led Zepplin any more because I am not mongoloid"

or

"I don't watch Sesame Street because I don't drink out of a sippy cup any more"

Perhaps, similar to what another guy said, I watch Sesame Street to remember the innocence of childhood. Maybe, I listen to Zepplin because their music produces various enjoyable feelings in me like good art should.

For the record, I find Wagner dull and unenjoyable, but I guess thats just due to my utter lack of comprehension. I can understand where Sqye is coming from though, I used to make comments like those when I was 12."


I love you, man
Old 24th May 2006
  #153
Gear Head
 
Robie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Some of you DESPERATLY need to get a hobby.....heh
And some Lithium!
Old 24th May 2006
  #154
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
I can understand where Sqye is coming from though, I used to make comments like those when I was 12.

heh
Old 24th May 2006
  #155
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
"All music is subjective. Wagner is no "better" than Ashlee Simpson because "better" implies subjectivity. Kinda like me saying that beef is better than chicken. I think Sqye knows this but in my opinion, while sounding like a relatively intelligent human being, gets in his own way by saying something to the effect of:

"I don't listen to Led Zepplin any more because I am not mongoloid"

or

"I don't watch Sesame Street because I don't drink out of a sippy cup any more"

Perhaps, similar to what another guy said, I watch Sesame Street to remember the innocence of childhood. Maybe, I listen to Zepplin because their music produces various enjoyable feelings in me like good art should.

For the record, I find Wagner dull and unenjoyable, but I guess thats just due to my utter lack of comprehension. I can understand where Sqye is coming from though, I used to make comments like those when I was 12."


I love you, man
imo, "good art" is not about necessarily bringing about good
or familiar feelings - fr*gg*n gilligan's island can do THAT.

that's called MONOCHROMONOTONY. not art.

i think "good art" can stimulate emotional and intellectual growth
in a human being, not just satiate the animals in us.

talk about being twelve:

if hearing zeppelin brings about the "good feelings" you had when you were twelve,
and you want to continue actually FEELING like you're twelve,
BEING twelve - you can simply continue to listen to music
for 12 years olds - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

NOW Atlantic, or whoever owns their catalog by now,
since it was so fr&gg&n LONG ago, has you guys in the "buying catalog" market, as well.

hey, it's YOUR money. you can do whatever you like with it.

if you want to continue to reinforce your twelve year old "good art" values, go for it.

have fun playing in the sprinklers and eating jello pudding pops, while you're at it.

maybe Atlantic records has some pension funds that will fatten because of you guys
(although, i HIGHLY doubt it - knowing the "ethics" of most labels,
built on organized criminal organizations - WHOLE OTHER TOPIC).

you enlightened individuals can feel free to break open your six packs,
gorge yourselves on some white castle belly bombers,
break out the best of zeppelin dvd collections,
while you fart, comment on your sister's a$$,
and watch the super bowl - i could give a f*ck.

i have the distinct feeling that "good art" (whatever the f*ck that means),
the kind that makes you scrunch up your face in a twisted knot,
like something really STINKY just happened in the room,
is more what summa YOU felluz are talking about.

if i want that, i got bootsy, i don't need zep.

what i'd consider to be real art, elevated art, again, i feel strongly
would simply not be recognized by a good portion of this crowd, if their lives depended on it.



hey, you guys say 'micky dees', i say l'espinasse - WHATEVER floats your boats.

y'all can just keep listening to all your monochromonotony for the rest of your lives
until you're BLUE in the face.

it's YOUR lives, you can do whatever you like.

hey momma, say the way you move......

i'll say it again, gimme a f*ckin break..

if i NEED those lyrics - i'll just open up my apartment window in the city,
and listen to the lazy drunks hangin' out on the corner.

you call it "good art" - WHATEVER.....

atlantic records obviously has been MORE than effective in it's marketing to y'all mongoloids -
(hey YOU said it, not me).
Old 24th May 2006
  #156
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 

Old 24th May 2006
  #157
Lives for gear
 
chrispick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
have fun playing in the sprinklers and eating jello pudding pops, while your at it.
That actually sounds like a good idea!

Pudding pops are good!

Mmmmmm!

Yum yum yum yum yum!





PUDDING POPS!
Old 24th May 2006
  #158
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
lol
Old 24th May 2006
  #159
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick
That actually sounds like a good idea!

Pudding pops are good!

Mmmmmm!

Yum yum yum yum yum!





PUDDING POPS!
i know, i just had one.
Old 24th May 2006
  #160
dbm
Lives for gear
 

I actually only said "Maybe, I listen to Zepplin because their music produces various enjoyable feelings in me like good art should". I said nothing of Zepplin reminding me of what it was like to be 12. That was Sesame Street!heh. And now that you mention it, I love both pudding pops and playing in sprinklers. Do you know why? I suspect you don't, but I will tell you anyway. Now, pay attention.

1. Pudding Pops are delicious. (they actually stopped making them for a long time until Popsicle picked them back up. So, I bought a box the other day........SCORE)

2. Playing in sprinklers is pretty fun to, though not as fun as a slip 'n slide.


I actually wrote a song about pretentious pricks that assume that anything you do as a child is no longer 'cool' or 'hip' because its for kids. You know, the ones who suck the fun out of life. I know it might be hard for you to grasp, but....and this is the real kicker......my actions are dictated by my enjoyment of that action regardless of what age level it has been deemed appropriate for. WOW! What a novel idea.

So, now......Im a slip 'n sliding, Wagner hating, pudding pop eater. Im sure those three bits of information are more than adequate for you to write me off as an idiot and not worthy of your time up there in your higher plane of existence where organic vegetables flow like honey and Wagner pours forth from the heavens all day while the dastardly pudding pop eaters work on tying their shoelaces.

I knew it was a bad idea to get into this thread. This stuff has just really been bothering me in the corporate world lately. Sorry.
Old 24th May 2006
  #161
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
I actually only said "Maybe, I listen to Zepplin because their music produces various enjoyable feelings in me like good art should". I said nothing of Zepplin reminding me of what it was like to be 12. That was Sesame Street!heh. And now that you mention it, I love both pudding pops and playing in sprinklers. Do you know why? I suspect you don't, but I will tell you anyway. Now, pay attention.

1. Pudding Pops are delicious. (they actually stopped making them for a long time until Popsicle picked them back up. So, I bought a box the other day........SCORE)

2. Playing in sprinklers is pretty fun to, though not as fun as a slip 'n slide.


I actually wrote a song about pretentious pricks that assume that anything you do as a child is no longer 'cool' or 'hip' because its for kids. You know, the ones who suck the fun out of life. I know it might be hard for you to grasp, but....and this is the real kicker......my actions are dictated by my enjoyment of that action regardless of what age level it has been deemed appropriate for. WOW! What a novel idea.

So, now......Im a slip 'n sliding, Wagner hating, pudding pop eater. Im sure those three bits of information are more than adequate for you to write me off as an idiot and not worthy of your time up there in your higher plane of existence where organic vegetables flow like honey and Wagner pours forth from the heavens all day while the dastardly pudding pop eaters work on tying their shoelaces.

I knew it was a bad idea to get into this thread. This stuff has just really been bothering me in the corporate world lately. Sorry.
you say pretentious prick

i say mongoloid.

i'm simply saying that we don't see past the marketing,

that's ALL i'm saying.

that's what causes us to want to be like

asslee and zep, and be so fr*kk*n loyal to any of them.

when, in effect, there's a lot of stuff that dumbass mongoloids never get to hear,
because it involves MORE than JUST TURNING ON THE RADIO

or buying stuff that's MARKETED BLATENTLY OVER AND OVER AGAIN
DIRECTLY AT a TARGETED DEMOGRAPHIC.


IMAGINE THAT!!

having to search out SOme good music - a wee bit of effort.

maybe actually STUDYING a bit of music - what a concept.

hey whatever.

jello pudding pops, it is.

why are people so fr*gg*n loyal to zeppelin? troops in iraq? micky dees?
pudding pops?

i got news for you - pudding pops don't taste good to EVERYONE.

however, they DO taste good to kids who are raised on SH*T.

as do zeppelin, asslee, g.w. bush, scooby doo, american idol, hummers, etc.

JUST LOOK AROUND YOU.

those, sometimes geeky, kids who DON'T BUY INTO THE GARBAGE,
(maybe ONE in every several hundred, or even thousand, kids).

they KNOW what time it is. and they're NOT buying it.

not buying the bubble yum, not buying the zep.

it doesn't make life ANY less fun for them.

in fact, QUITE the opposite.

what you may consider fun, i might call MONOCHROMONOTONY.

the celebration of sameness.

(gotta tip my cap to zappa for his great words here).

you can call me pretentious - why does one person like red, and another blue?

we all just put our pants on one leg at a time, dude.

enjoy
Old 24th May 2006
  #162
Gear Maniac
 

Dude, you like what you like, that's great. Do you think you're going to change everyone else's mind? How do you know that the folks who like Zep aren't actively seeking out new music that isn't on the radio and eating whatever you deign to call haute cuisine. WTF? If you don't like Zep, okay. Yes, it's been marketed to a target demographic, so has every album that the majors are trying to sell.

You're really coming off like a pretentious ass. If we don't like exactly what you like and agree that everything else is crap, we're mongoloids? How about letting people think for themselves. I like lots of stuff, Zep and Pudding Pops and hell, even Ring Dings and Ho Hos. I study music - I'm not a music scholar, but I've taken lessons and practiced and thought deeply about music. I don't think that Zep is the be all and end all of bands - I like their music, I find the production entertaining and that's really all there is to it.

Don't you have some work to do or something?
Old 24th May 2006
  #163
Gear Nut
 
Count Dz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
So, now......Im a slip 'n sliding, Wagner hating, pudding pop eater. Im sure those three bits of information are more than adequate for you to write me off as an idiot and not worthy of your time up there in your higher plane of existence where organic vegetables flow like honey and Wagner pours forth from the heavens all day while the dastardly pudding pop eaters work on tying their shoelaces.

I knew it was a bad idea to get into this thread. This stuff has just really been bothering me in the corporate world lately. Sorry.
Now that is some classic sh*t. The more I read it the more I LMAO. Thanks I needed that.

Also I have a question for Sqye...What are you listening to right now? I mean that's current that you can't take it out of your cd player. Just curious, I'm not gonna break out a flame thrower or anything .
Old 24th May 2006
  #164
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

i am listening to some cool Jimmy Bruno!
Old 24th May 2006
  #165
Lives for gear
 
catfish11's Avatar
 

really all this egonic vomit from someone whos career height
is self documented to be a couple pieces of pap on 2 soap-opreas


you my friend are no Richard Wagner, tutt

as someone stated,
take your LITHIUM!!!
Old 24th May 2006
  #166
dbm
Lives for gear
 

Sqye, I will respond to your last post and Im done with this thread. You are really blowing my mind with the whole Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde routine. I AM the nerd you are talking about who doesn't buy into whats being pushed at me. I do NOT listen to the radio and hardly EVER watch TV. The music I listen to will most likely never be on the radio. The funny thing is I agree with most of what you say until you make unbelievably stupid comments like:

"those, sometimes geeky, kids who DON'T BUY INTO THE GARBAGE,
(maybe ONE in every several hundred, or even thousand, kids).

they KNOW what time it is. and they're NOT buying it.

not buying the bubble yum, not buying the zep."

Surely you aren't stupid enough to believe that just because something is marketed that it is automatically ****.(most of it is, but come on man get a grip) I mean there comes a point where by being extremely anti commercial/establishment you start to write off things BECAUSE they are commercial and not based on your own unbiased opinion of it(it was called my teenage years). In turn you become exactly what you hate so much. Someone who makes judgements on something not with objective eyes, but only from whats been fed to you. Doesn't matter whether you're the one embracing or rejecting it. Same thing.

Finally, you make good point here:

Sqye-"why does one person like red, and another blue?

we all just put our pants on one leg at a time, dude. "

Very true......seems like I might have heard something similar before......OHH YEAH. It was in this thread when I WROTE it.
dbm - "All music is subjective. Wagner is no "better" than Ashlee Simpson because "better" implies subjectivity. Kinda like me saying that beef is better than chicken."

SOMETIMES BUBBLE YUM IS JUST GOOD. It blows my mind that you think thats just because of marketing.

I think I know exactly what you mean, and feel the same, but you just ruin your arguments by implying that Zep and bubble yum are **** because they are marketed. I don't even know how you put those two sentences in the same post doctor. You are just the flip side of the coin.


Okay, Im done.

dbm - Just another victim of the Great Frontal Marketotomy
Old 25th May 2006
  #167
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
Okay, Im done.
i guess you're the monster genius i've been searching for all my life
Old 25th May 2006
  #168
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Dz
Also I have a question for Sqye...What are you listening to right now? I mean that's current that you can't take it out of your cd player. Just curious, I'm not gonna break out a flame thrower or anything .
actually, today - while i was renovating my basement,
i was listening to some old frank zappa.

to me, zappa never really gets old, because he's so all over the map,
that i feel like i'm always learning something when i listen to his stuff.

today, it was apostrophe/ overnight sensation. his more pop stuff.

my favorites on apostophe are st. alphonzo's pancake breakfast,
uncle remus, etc. - but i like the whole cd. even the jammy stuff,
like excentrifigal forz is cool, because zappa's playing is
always at least somewhat ambi-timberal, polyphonic
and polyrhythmic.

on overnight sensation, i like i'm the slime, dirty love and 50/50.

i really like the way zappa doesn't conjugate his verbs sometimes,
just to make a rhyme happen - it really makes me laugh.

zappa is AWESOME.

some of the keyboard playing, drumming, vocal arrangements,
guitar stuff is GREAT, not to mention composition -
odd meter stuff, odd bars, a lot of fun stuff,
that seem to present new and fresh stuff everytime i listen.

someone was saying earlier that i'm pretentious and i suck all the fun out of music,
or whatever - MAN, IF YOU THINK ZEPPELIN IS "FUN"
YOU DEFINITELY need to check out some FRANK ZAPPA.

as far as i'm concerned - nobody does FUN like frank heh


in the discovering something new on each listen,
i feel this way when i listen to a lot of bach's music, like the cantatas,
or all the great organ fugues (like St. Anne, Taccato and Fugue, etc.)
i think the bach ensemble recordings with joshua rifkin,
are also really happening. julian baird has a stunningly pure and beautiful voice -
great at that early baroque stuff, i like what they did with the
period instruments, as well.

let's see - some israeli pop i recorded in my studio

oh, this home depot hold music is AWESOME. heh

some jazz trio and sextet stuff i recorded at my studio a few years ago,
including andy parsons, gene lewin & mike holliber in fundementia - GREAT
modern jazz. some RIPPEN' playing, great composition and arrangements.

aside of andy parsons, i like local nyc jazzers torsten dewinkel,
janek gwizdala, peter mazza, etc.

(torsten's a really good friend - he's got his label in ny - NY Jazz Guerilla,
but spends most of his time touring and teaching in europe, etc.)

more current stuff - i like the new imogene heap cd.
(not the whole thing, but some of it).

one of my favorite cds is a collection of slammin' forro accordian players
from northern brazil - unbelievable arranegements, harmany and performances.

also still love a bunch of acoustic recordings from nusrat,
and i'm a HUGE zakir hussain fan - HE"S JUST STUNNING live - endless energy and finesse.

i like the (raggaeton) aventura god's project cd -
i really like the "ella y yo" track. simple but i like the vocal performances.

let's see - i've got chick corea akoustic trio - both tour cds,
some holdsworth, bill frizell, metheny, josh redman,
lots of 70s chick with gadd, gomez, etc.

some african (zimbabwe & zambian) pop and fusion music.
some of which i recorded at my studio (artists afro blue,
and muriel mwemba).

got some modern-ish nyc style blue grass - in the form of
the string messengers - really funny stuff - also recorded at my place in NYC.

some folk and pop condombe from uruguay - classics and contemporary -
including some beautifully recorded hand drum troupe stuff.
i have a kickass uruguan drummer/ percussionist friend
who gets me some AWESOME stuff from brazil,
uruguay, india, the middle east, and the caribbean, etc.

got some gorgeous modern, fusion and classical tango stuff -
from all across the board - LOVE MY TANGO.

some world, drum 'n bass & world/jazz cds - including hermeto pasqual,
egberto gismonti, trilok gurtu, talvin singh, state of bengal,
some older goldie & talvin singh stuff with cleveland watkiss,
dj innamost - some stuff i have when i was working with him in london,
gonzalo rubacalba, paquito d' riviera, paco de lucia, jaco pastorius & word of mouth,
some recordings i engineered and co-produced a while ago for jazz great graham haynes
(with steve williamson, catfish alias, brandon ross, don cherry and vernon reid)
and on and on.

some recordings of my friend brandon wilde, who i helped, with production, arrangements, etc.
get signed to warner for 2 records. coldplay producer Ken Nelson produced his last cd. VERY COOL.
melodic, creative - brandon has a really nice voice. the band is kickin'.

ours, with singer jimmy necco - SLAMMING, probably my favorite recent rock stuff on dreamworks.
those guys are RIDICULOUS live - i simply HAVE NOT HEARD a ROCK SINGER LIVE
WITH HIS RANGE, CONVICTION, EMOTION, ETC.
plus, his songwriting is SUPA tasty, as far as rock stuff goes.

some compilations of egyptian and syrian pop music.

a bunch of live and studio world music projects i played with in ny,
including tabouli boyz, life in the big city, folklure, etc.
a lot of rough, but experimental stuff. some better recordings.

love quincy, not all the time, but a lot of the time.

still diggin' the up cd from pg, and love the secret world dvd.
definitely a manu kache and tony levin fan.
also dig some of paula's stuff on that tour.

i might throw the first 3rd eye blind cd in for a minute.

got the last few guano apes cds - kickass german band.

i like what mirwais, patrick leonard and william orbitt did with madonna
on her music and ray of light records, production-wise. i also like
orbitts stuff with all saints.

i'm a big max martin fan, and i generally really like the chieron music guys
in sweden A LOT.

for easy listening, i like the john mclaughlin trio live with trilok and kai ekhardt,
and domique de piaza, the caribbean jazz projects cds.

classical/ serious - tons of scriabin, liszt, chopin, rachmaninioff, bach, sibelius, mahler, tchaikovsky, etc.

jazz and world music ad infinitum

got some traditional irish music - beautifully arranged ballads, etc.

i'm definitely a busta fan - i still challange anyone to be able to deliver a
"break ya neck" lyric with THAT syncopation, rhythm, speed and dexterity,
not to mention WRITE a concept like that. i absolutely LOVE the way he plays
with feel - all the caribbean mixed up in there,
like paquito told us when i was at berklee - you gotta get the RICE AND BEANS
of the music heh

i actually do like MY OWN MUSIC. i think one of the reasons,
is that i collaborate with so many artists.
(so i guess i can't even really call it my own).

wired planet was a HUGE collaboration with some
GREAT talent from EVERYWHERE - i did that a while ago.

luminous was a project for universal done with hugh padgham
(sting, police, genesis, etc.) in london.

i haven't really been BUYING that much music anymore -
i've been kinda bored with music, in general.

in fact, if anyone wants to hook me up with new music. heh

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE

i'd be VERY appreciative. VERY appreciative.

of course, i mean NEW MUSIC THAT'S DIFFERENT FROM OLD MUSIC.
Old 25th May 2006
  #169
Lives for gear
 
jdjustice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm
1. Pudding Pops are delicious. (they actually stopped making them for a long time until Popsicle picked them back up. So, I bought a box the other day........SCORE)
Now I have to get in my car, drive to the local grocery, and purchase some g-damn
Pudding Pops! After reading most of this inane bantering I certainly deserve one!
Old 25th May 2006
  #170
Lives for gear
 
jdjustice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
i really like the way zappa doesn't conjugate his verbs sometimes,
just to make a rhyme happen - it really makes me laugh.

zappa is AWESOME.

some of the keyboard playing, drumming vocal arrangements,
guitar stuff is GREAT, not to mention composition -
odd meter stuff, odd bars, a lot of fun stuff,
that seem to present new and fresh stuff everytime i listen..
Totally agree with you about Zappa. Innovator of the 20th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
i'm a big max martin fan, and i generally really like the chieron music guys
in sweden A LOT.
Me too! So I guess you do have an eclectic sense of good music; no-one should be accusing you of snobbery!


J.D.
Old 25th May 2006
  #171
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
Totally agree with you about Zappa. Innovator of the 20th century.
Me too! So I guess you do have an eclectic sense of good music; no-one should be accusing you of snobbery!
J.D.
just a guy who puts my pants on one leg at a time,
like everyone else here
Old 25th May 2006
  #172
Led
Lives for gear
 
Led's Avatar
Sqye wrote - in fact, if anyone wants to hook me up with new music -
have you checked out the "Circle takes the square" thread in the moan zone?
That doesn't sound like a lot of the classic older stuff.
Cheers
Old 25th May 2006
  #173
Lives for gear
 

I don't know about anyone else... but I would much prefer to be a mongoloid than a prententious prick...

I am proud as hell to belong to that tribe...!

And I don't have to watch TV or listen to the radio or be peersuaded by some corporate machine in order to pull it off!
It just comes naturally I guess...

I absolutley love Zappa... have forever it seems.
I also absolutley love Air Supply and ABBA... also have forever.
What about Brand X, Hueey Lewis, Genesis, John Cougar and King Crimson?

Actually I can't list even a 1/4 but rest assured they are mongolian...!!

(I guess except for the Zappa...apparantly he isn't full blood mongoloid) So maybe I'm not a pure blood. But my family and friends are! And I can prove it!

My wife is an artist.. a fukking brilliant wool artist...
(BTW) She will be featured on the DIY channel for two episodes this summer!!
She too is a mongoloidian... Her first place dragonfly princess in the LA fiber arts exhibit was inspired listening to Pink Floyd... which is clearly out of of the picture.



Ya know... my mom and her husband (he died of cancer years ago) were also BIGTIME mongoloids... See, they weren't musicians or art collectors... they just lived simple lives...

They used to put on Stevie Wonders Talking book... and just slow dance in their little living room to 'You are the Sunshine of my life"... That was 'thier song'...

They knew papa George (her husband) was dying of cancer... and that album just took them back in time to great loving memories...

Now that is about as mongolian as you can get... dontcha think? Actually just letting the movement of a song carry you for a little while? Make you feel good and wash you away to another time?

Prenetious prick? Or Mongoloid?

The choice is easy for me...
But then again I think for myself...

Much Respect,
Old 25th May 2006
  #174
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene

Now that is about as mongolian as you can get... dontcha think?
I never liked Zappa, not even a little.

But I do LOVE mongolian chicken.
Old 25th May 2006
  #175
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
They used to put on Stevie Wonders Talking book... and just slow dance in their little living room to 'You are the Sunshine of my life"... That was 'thier song'...

They knew papa George (her husband) was dying of cancer... and that album just took them back in time to great loving memories...

Now that is about as mongolian as you can get... dontcha think?
Much Respect,
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE,
are you fukkin KIDDING ME????

you MUSSSST be smokin' crack.

stevie wonder is a fr8kk8n GENIUS -

QUITE THE OPPOSITE of mongolOIDian

not my favorite of his songs in the world,
but that's actually a really nice story and image, rg

btw - i'm part caucasian myself

since you're mongoloidian, perhaps you'll dig this band (dig the mouse POINTER heh ):

http://wearemongoloid.com/cookie/

cool news re: your wife's artwork - i wish you guys lots of luck
and success with that
Old 25th May 2006
  #176
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

not a Zappa fan
but i love Mark Knopfler!
Old 25th May 2006
  #177
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
not a Zappa fan
but i love Mark Knopfler!
when i was a kid,
knofpler, joe pass, pat metheny and george benson were my favs.

i had some bootleg organ trio stuff with jimmy mcgriff - BURNING.

benson was like 16, or something - RIDICULOUS.

i always loved knopfler, for his melodic and textural stuff.

by the time i was in hhigh school, i think i had literally learned
EVERY solo from EVERY album dire straits had.

and my parents wouldn't buy me an electric guitar, so i learned them all on
a nylon string - of course, some of them were PLAYED on nylon string,
which was SOME of the appeal, to me.

i liked a lot of his finger picking stuff, too.
Old 25th May 2006
  #178
Lives for gear
 
jdjustice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
not a Zappa fan
but i love Mark Knopfler!
Have you heard the new Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris CD yet? I don't know a lot about Mark Knopfler but I have loved Emmylou since her days with Gram Parsons...
Old 25th May 2006
  #179
Okay, I heard "Money For Nothing" on the car radio the other day... the famous guitar intro isn't "sloppy," but there are a few notes that get hit sloppily. That's all I'm saying. But I can prove it, you'll have to admit it's true.
Old 25th May 2006
  #180
Led
Lives for gear
 
Led's Avatar
There are a few sloppy ones in there, but they recorded that as a guide with the mic in an odd position, just kinda thrown up, and they couldn't recreate the tone even though they tried real hard at a few different studios so they were stuck with it. Lesson - there is no such thing as 'just a guide track'.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
DonPedro / So much gear, so little time
9
Kestral / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
17
djwayne / So much gear, so little time
212
RyanR / The Moan Zone
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump