The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't use apostrophes to pluralize!!! Studio Monitors
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Don't use apostrophes to pluralize!!!

Apostrophes are used to contract things like "it is"(it's) and "we will"(we'll), or to indicate the possessive like "Frank's", "James'", - but not "its"(e.g. "The Manley Slam has its +48v switches attached to the rear of the unit").

They aren't to be used in this manner:

"There are a lot of engineer's on this site!"

I really doubt anyone else will care about this, but I had to get it off my chest.

The Ex-English Major will now shut up.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=(e.g. "The Manley Slam has its +48v switches attached to the rear of the unit").
[/QUOTE]

Isn't this use also a possessive form? It's = Manley's? Is it a no-no for the possessive form of "it"? Is that what you're saying?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
Isn't this use also a possessive form? It's = Manley's? Is it a no-no for the possessive form of "it"? Is that what you're saying?
This is the weirdness of the language, in this case "it's" can't be used 'cuz it means "it is".

Thus, somehow we ended up using "its".

I was trying to show the exception. Nuts.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

So you ARE saying that the 's never is correct for showing possession to the word "it"?
God, I don't even understand my own syntax. What I mean is, you are telling me that if I want to say "My dog licks it's balls.", I would not use the 's, because "it's" ALWAYS means "it is".

Is this right? Crap, now I really want to get this STRAIGHT!
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

This bug's me too--big time!

It happen's everywhere, not just on Gearslutz.

Gearslutz still rule's though!

Now I have to go burn some CD's.

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Sky
This bug's me too--big time!

It happen's everywhere, not just on Gearslutz.

Gearslutz still rule's though!

Now I have to go burn some CD's.

Ouch, worst abuse of the apostrophe ever! Not pluralizing, not possessing, just misspelling!

heh

Yep. I knew I was making a mistake! Oh well. Had to say it.

This is what happens when you have a Brit for a Dad and read 600 page books before you turn 10.

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Yes darkwater, that's right. The " 's " can be added to anything else though to make it possesive. "Its" is the one exception.

Back to music!
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Oh, I don't think it was a mistake at all. I'm glad you posted that. I was just playin'.

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

i think the only word where i break the apostrophe rule is when i say "Pre's"

because "pres" just looks like a totally different work. and while pre is a non-official abbreviation for "preamp or preamplifier", i justify it to myself that "pre's" is okay.

also, keep in mind that there are non-native english speakers on this forum, and a certain degree of leeway should be given.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=darkwater]What I mean is, you are telling me that if I want to say "My dog licks it's balls.", I would not use the 's, because "it's" ALWAYS means "it is".

Is this right? QUOTE]

Yes. Why do you want to say "My dog licks it's balls"?

DP
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay

because "pres" just looks like a totally different work. and while pre is a non-official abbreviation for "preamp or preamplifier", i justify it to myself that "pre's" is okay.

also, keep in mind that there are non-native english speakers on this forum, and a certain degree of leeway should be given.
Oh, of course! This is directed at the native anglophones.

...spoken like a true Canuck.

Certain situations where slang is being used are also exempt from my "wrath".
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's is a contraction for it is or it has.

Its is a possessive pronoun meaning, more or less, of it or belonging to it.

And there is absolutely, positively, no such word as its'.
A simple test

If you can replace it[']s in your sentence with it is or it has, then your word is it's; otherwise, your word is its.
Another test

Its is the neuter version of his and her. Try plugging her into your sentence where you think its belongs. If the sentence still works grammatically (if not logically) then your word is indeed its.
Examples

It's been good to know you. Contraction: it has
It's a bird! It's a plane! Contraction: it is

The dodo bird is known for its inability to fly. Possessive pronoun: its inability = the dodo bird's inability
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Right on...

On another note:

When I was a teenager I tried to use "their" to replace "his/her" because I felt it was sexist to put either word first!

You can bet some red showed up on my essays for that.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, NOW WE MUST ALL POSITIVELY GET BACK TO WORK!!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I wasn't aware the posts on this site were going to be graded! heh
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

LOL, someone else started a "Using capitals in posts" thread here a little while ago, so I felt maybe it was time I spoke out against this language crime!

I could keep going... but I can only handle being ribbed for so long.heh
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay

That's not breaking the rules at all. That is contraction due to abbreviation. Because "pre" is an abbreviation of "pre-amplifier," if you want to pluralize it AND shorten it, you need to contract it.

I also contend that "CD's" is correct, in that it's an abbreviated pluralizing contraction (also known as "a mouthful.")

Anyone wanna fight me?

I used to talk about this stuff with my Mom. We'd ponder how Vin Scully would say "RBI's" which is incorrect. Run Batted Ins? To be correct, he should've been saying "RBI" as plural, or "R'sBI." Haha. It's kind of like that HIV virus.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomo
That's not breaking the rules at all. That is contraction due to abbreviation. Because "pre" is an abbreviation of "pre-amplifier," if you want to pluralize it AND shorten it, you need to contract it.

I also contend that "CD's" is correct, in that it's an abbreviated pluralizing contraction (also known as "a mouthful.")

Anyone wanna fight me?

I used to talk about this stuff with my Mom. We'd ponder how Vin Scully would say "RBI's" which is incorrect. Run Batted Ins? To be correct, he should've been saying "RBI" as plural, or "R'sBI." Haha. It's kind of like that HIV virus.

i like you.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

Anyone wanna fight me?

Makes sense. 'Cuz I'm all about that kinda 'ting.

I think I recall having the same discussion with my father about the RBI issue!

Transplanted Brit, but loves baseball. Also now owns a chainsaw.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah. Or those ATM machines.

DP
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko/Acoustics
LOL, someone else started a "Using capitals in posts" thread here a little while ago, so I felt maybe it was time I spoke out against this language crime!

I could keep going... but I can only handle being ribbed for so long.heh

Then don't look at the title of THIS post or your head might just explode..... heh
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Then don't look at the title of THIS post or your head might just explode..... heh
Agggh!

My head already explodes whenever I read a post by wayne mox in the "Politics/Social Issues" forum.
Attached Images
Don't use apostrophes to pluralize!!!-images-1.jpg 
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Pronouns: his, hers, its.

None of them use an apostrophe.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Theirs too, right?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Indeed.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Attached Thumbnails
Don't use apostrophes to pluralize!!!-perfection.jpg  
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbeh
HAHAHAHA!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Yea!
My head exploded when that was first posted to the board.

Ironically, that title has about as much proper grammar as an Avalon has tone.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck
Yeah. Or those ATM machines.

DP
or your PIN number
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Damn this thread has made my day... I was feeling miserable earlier.

Thanks.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search