The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why the hell do gear companies....
Old 16th May 2006
Why the hell do gear companies....

Make things that dont fit into a 19" rack? Take for instance the 'Robbie' mic pre. Great pre for the price but they insisted on putting it into that IDIOTIC 'retro' piece of crap that has to sit somewhere on a desk or shelf. I have enough crap in the studio that cant fit into a rack. The LAST thing I want is another thing to stack next to the console.

secondly... why do some gear companies put the power switches on the BACK of a rack unit?!?!??!

*end rant*

srslythough
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

They put them on the back, because that is where the power is.

And anyway.... isn't a standardized system of mounting so ..... standard?
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum
They put them on the back, because that is where the power is.

And anyway.... isn't a standardized system of mounting so ..... standard?
Clearly. What the hell was I thinking? heh
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

The answer I've sometimes heard to the second question is it is part of the strategy of isolating the power supply from other components. I know my Pendulum Audio MDP-1 has that "feature" and it is something of a pain.

But then there are other units that don't even HAVE a power switch at all.
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog
The answer I've sometimes heard to the second question is it is part of the strategy of isolating the power supply from other components. I know my Pendulum Audio MDP-1 has that "feature" and it is something of a pain.

I dont see how running a couple wires to a switch on the front panel is going to hurt anything (most units are like that anyway) but if the company is THAT worried about it... make a seperate racked power supply. I'll pay the extra $ to not have to reach behind a damn rack to turn something on or off.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

I agree with you.

At this point I will not buy unless it racks up....the only non-rack item I own is the Radial Reamp.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

As much as I love the API 500 format in theory, it's this characteristic that really annoys me in actual use. I guess if you rigged up a convenient snake to access all the modules and you could sit it wherever you want, that could be cool though.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

You could probably rack it up using some universal rack trays and velcro. That's how I racked my DMP3s. As far as the power switches go, I just use power strips, so all the power switches in my rack gear are always "on." What pisses me off is the phase reversal button is in the back of the DMP3s! GRRR!!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

This gives me an idea. I rack case that is wider then normal with adjustable width brackets. Who here would buy that?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

The power switch thing is really a non-issue. I bought a few rack mount power strips that have a lighted switch on the front panel for every receptacle on the rear panel. Any gear with no power switch or a rear panel power switch goes on those.

But I think ultimately the concept behind no or rear power switches is that when you trun your studio on you'll want the gear to come on. It is also sometimes preferred in broadcast facilities, where they don't want someone accidentally turning gear off.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

think of the power being on the back as a good thing. no one can accidentally switch it off.
Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
The power switch thing is really a non-issue. I bought a few rack mount power strips that have a lighted switch on the front panel for every receptacle on the rear panel. Any gear with no power switch or a rear panel power switch goes on those.

But I think ultimately the concept behind no or rear power switches is that when you trun your studio on you'll want the gear to come on. It is also sometimes preferred in broadcast facilities, where they don't want someone accidentally turning gear off.
Well it annoys me mostly on things like tube pres that get really hot. So when I am not gonna be using them I would like to shut them off but there are other things on the power supply/conditioner that I dont want to shut off.

As for accidentally switching it off... it hasnt happened yet and I try pretty hard not to let any one who is clumsy enough to do that go anywhere near the gear. I see the point though I guess. heh
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

hes saying get a power strip with individually switches. they exist.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

Gear that doesnt rack up is a pain, but what about the budget concsious who buy a rack from guitarget (im one of them) that is 18.5 inches wide, fun fun fun.
tape measure in my pocket now when I buy

end......
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would say its because when you have alot of gear most people have a power strip that shuts off power to the whole rack, it could also be because alot of commercial studios leave their gear on all the time.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

I definetly feel you on that Robbie Mic Pre..... It looks really cool (especially when turned on) but it obviously has to sit "somewhere." My business partner bought one for his studio and it just stands out (sitting next to the console) I guess I'm a neat freak though....don't really like to have things just sitting in the way when they could be racked up nice and neat....

The power supply thing doesn't really bother me....
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
It is also sometimes preferred in broadcast facilities, where they don't want someone accidentally turning gear off.
I dig that reasoning, but I wish there were some kind of lock on the standard IEC mains connection. Some of 'em don't fit so tightly.

I think when non-recording people see a bunch of seamlessly racked gear, they're overwhelmed and they think they've just stepped into the USS Enterprise.

Which is cool.

OTOH, having a bunch of 1/3 and 1/2 rack gear stacked up on top of your also-not-in-a-rack Digi 002 unit looks so collegiate.

I also think most non-studio people don't stop to think that a console might be the same ten or fifteen knobs over and over and over again. They think they all do unique jobs and you know what they all do, and therefore you're some kind of genius/mad scientist.

How many of you take a girl to your studio when you're trying for the booty?
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:

Like the Avalon 2022 mic pre. Kind of a PITA. I finally put it on a switched power strip.

Steven

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search