The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help Vampires
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Help Vampires

Here's the definition:
http://www.slash7.com/pages/vampires

- Does he ask the same, tired questions others ask (at a rate of once or more per minute)?
- Does he clearly lack the ability or inclination to ask the almighty Google?
- Does he refuse to take the time to ask coherent, specific questions?
- Does he think helping him must be the high point of your day?
- Is he obviously just waiting for some poor, well-intentioned person to do all his thinking for him?
- Can you tell he really isn't interested in having his question answered, so much as getting someone else to do his work?

Are there any here? You bet your sweet rear end. Let's see if we can clean it up.

Next n00b that asks how to get a Neve 1073/Urei 1176/LA2A/U47/Distressor sound for (insert some ridiculously low dollar amount) should be lynched.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Holy crap, this was funny. heh

This pretty much drives it home:

"... these vampires suck the very life and energy out of people. By nature they feed on generous individuals who tend towards helping others, and leave their victims exhausted, bitter and dispirited."

I like this quote:

" 'You're a Help Vampire.' Call a spade a spade, and a Help Vampire a Help Vampire. Tell the vamp you'll be glad to have him as a member of your community if he reforms his vampy ways. And inform him what vampy ways you're talking about (this page is a good way to do that). "
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Excellent article. Reminds me of some of the customers I had to deal with when I sold DAWs for a living: total refusal to read manuals, ask answerable questions, or retain information.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Guru

Man. That hurts my feelings . . .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search