The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've got to 2nd the nominatinon for the Lenny Kravitz version of American Woman. That is the worst example of a crappy loop remix I've ever heard. What did he even to that song other than ruin it ?

But as much as I dislike that version of the song Aerosmith's Love in an Elevator has to be my #1 vote for worst song ever. A great band that kept playing long after the music stopped.

But, what I've learned from looking at 6 pages of this thread is that if there is ever a Gearslutz World Convention then this thread should never be discussed. Because I'm sure if there was an open bar we'd all be goin Fist ta Cuffs with somebody here !
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend******
Man, I was going to go with Thin Lizzie's "The Boys are Back in Town" but there have been at least a half dozen songs posted already that are even more horrible (with "Sister Christian" and "We Built This City" perhaps topping the list. I might also add "Girls, Girls, Girls" by Poison (which might well be the best song in their catalog.

Wasn't girls girls girls by Motley Crue?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Victory
Wasn't girls girls girls by Motley Crue?

Correct, that was the Crue, but that is a great song. One of the greatest songs ever in strip clubs. Girls dance great to it.... doesn't that alone make it a great song?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Baiting

Anything by:

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
U2
The Doors
Pearl Jam

I can't believe ANYONE likes this sh*t!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavcatcher
I've got to 2nd the nominatinon for the Lenny Kravitz version of American Woman. That is the worst example of a crappy loop remix I've ever heard. What did he even to that song other than ruin it ?
Pretty dreadful, no doubt, but you can't really say he ruined it. That song was ruined from the start. The original version by the Guess Who was some of the absolute worst dreck that that period had to offer. It's amazing how much really bad garbage was being produced even in what is arguably rock's finest era.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue
Anything by:

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
U2
The Doors
Pearl Jam

Troll.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland
Pretty dreadful, no doubt, but you can't really say he ruined it. That song was ruined from the start. The original version by the Guess Who was some of the absolute worst dreck that that period had to offer. It's amazing how much really bad garbage was being produced even in what is arguably rock's finest era.

Are you kidding me? Or baiting me....? The original is a true classic. That fantastic Randy Bachman overdrive. The US war machine bashing lyrics.... That song is as relevant today as it was back then...
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=warhead]So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Pretty much anything by STYX, I hate that high vocalist.

"You make me feel like Dancin'" also comes to mind,,,who was that wimpy guy?

Tom
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Alright.....

"Taking Care of Business". Ugh. This song was just one of those throw away songs that got lucky.

The vocals alone in this song make me wanna turn the dial. But worst.... is all the horrible movies that used it in ytheir soundtracks.

Slightly OT- I once saw BTO live, opening for Van Halen on the OU812 tour (I think). It was during the shred guitar craze. Randy Bachman did a 5 minute solo.... that was so painful.

He first started with arpeggios, playing them as quarter notes... up and down. Never speed them up. It just sounded like a guitar lesson for beginners. THEN..... he pulled out a drum stick and proceeded to play chords with his left hand, while the right hand (with drum stick) was bouncing of the six strings in a cheapo matador/flamenco beat. He continued this for a minutes, then just did whammy bar noise.

The most embarrassing solo ever. Truly worse then a high school "talent' show. Thankfully he has chosen not to keep up with the Steve Vai's of the world and just write songs.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Correct, that was the Crue, but that is a great song. One of the greatest songs ever in strip clubs. Girls dance great to it.... doesn't that alone make it a great song?
It helps..........especially if you are in Montreal heh
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for "My Humps" and anything by Chicago.... Yuck.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Love the Police but...

De doo doo doo
De da da da
Is all I have to say to you
Old 29th May 2006
Here for the gear

Putting on the Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandergraf
(OK, not rock, but. . .)
dfegad Puttin on the ritz by . . . er , . . Taco?

Ahhhhrrgg!
Falco; tho' agreed it's a ( really stike AWFUL stike ) rip-off of an original Irving Berlin tune, which was 1st written and recorded in 1929

The Original ain't bad....

El Gippo
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I forgot one.. (or several actually).. Anything by the Village People.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

- anything from Bronski Beat - as ****ty as it gets.
- "i just called to say I love you" by stevie W. what kind of drugs the guy must have been taken when writing this piece of ultra cheapo crap is one of the best kept secrets in music history.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue
Anything by:

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
U2
The Doors
Pearl Jam

I'm with you there man; I'd like to add anything that Jimi Hendrix did, the steaming pile that is Bob Dylan's back catalogue, and don't even get me started on all that crap that Motown put out......

great big steamin heaps of cr*p the lot of it!
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezestake

"You make me feel like Dancin'" also comes to mind,,,who was that wimpy guy?

Tom
Hahaha, ya he had a few songs to gag on assuming you are talking about Leo Sayer.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Without any doubt: dfegad American Woman.

Worst song ever. By anyone. Period.
Makes me vomit through my ears.

-Z-
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

I hate it, I can't believe anyone ever liked it. It is the cheesiest song of all time and it makes me want to kill.

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
Wow. You're one of my favorite guys on Gearslutz, but I totally disagree with you on this song. To me "Wonderful Tonight" is the quintessential sockhop song. The slow dance you ask the girl you really want to dance with to dance to.

But I guess if you weren't at the sockhop in 1966 at Cook Jr. High, you wouldn't know that.
Old 30th November 2007
Smile

with war on this song - HATE it....

makes me want to go to sleep

and then have nightmares....

the funny thing is, that since war posted this,

we've had ANOTHER 4 years of having to listen to this sh&t....

kinda like bush, the fr*kkin nightmare never ENDS........

Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willythekid View Post
"Take my breath away" with Berlin.
Forgetaboutit. That chick from Berlin is evil, vile and base. I was at a party in Northern California and got introduced to her. She said, "Nice shirt, may I touch it?" And then she blew her nose into it. That's right. She used my shirt like a Kleenex.

I didn't blink, just took my drink and poured it over her snot. "I'm so glad I could be of assistance," I said and walked off.

F-u-c-k Berlin.

Jasper

PS -- I realize that her actions could be deemed by some as cool or ultimately punk rock. Yeah, I get that. But I don't think that's true in this case. I wasn't a corproate sponsor for crissakes, I was the opening act. Berlin's lead singer was threatened by a singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar? Give me a fookin' break.
Old 30th November 2007

"Come on Baby light my fire" - The Doors

I just don't find the words to describe it. Makes me want to take a chainsaw and get rid of any organ sound in any rock song.
Old 30th November 2007
EJW
Gear Nut

The worst song I think I have ever heard is Paul Mccartney's Dance Tonight. I hate it I hate it I hate!!!
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW View Post
The worst song I think I have ever heard is Paul Mccartney's Dance Tonight. I hate it I hate it I hate!!!
Now that I agree with.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Maniac

worst

Carl Douglas - "Kung Fu Fighting"

embarassing, the chinise melody !

YouTube - Carl Douglas - Kung fu fighting
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Staind - It's Been Awhile.

This is maybe the most poorly written top 40 song of all time.

Want proof? Read the lyrics.

"It's been awhile, since I could stand...on my own two feet, again."

Everyone kept playing that stupid song into the ground when it came out...and not only does a six year old have a better grasp on syntax and grammar than that dumpy dude from Staind...but honestly, for as many awesome songs as I've heard in my life that play around with slang and vernacular...it literally just sounds like the guy who wrote that one is just some self destructive dirtbag without even a GED.

Not only is there no message, but the composition is entirely derivative. Thus the cartoon that record execs turned 90's rock into became cemented in stupidity forever.

Honorable mention goes to ANYTHING ever released by Creed and Nickleback.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

How about "Sugar Walls" by Sheena Easton?

Okay, it's not rock (or even close), but bringing it up makes me laugh.

You know, I love the irony of listening to moms kvetch about the skimpy attire of today's youth when you KNOW they use to get drunk on Jager and shake their asses at frat parties to this paean to vaginal fluid.

I know it because I saw it.

Lest anyone forget, it was a TOP TEN U.S. SINGLE! One of the Filthy Fifteen that bunched up Tipper Gore's knickers.

"Come spend the night inside my sugar walls..."

Hand it to Prince and all his sexual subtlety (he wrote it).

Man, I gotta write a dance track about my urethra. Get Will.i.am to produce it. Retire.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear
don't mess with my toot toot

higher love - "steve winwood"

stu stu studio - "phil collins"

being without you - "chicago"
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Addict

Of all the time I've wasted reading some of the long meaningless threads on this site, I can say definitively that I have not laughed so hard in at least a month as I have while reading some of the expressions of disgust over some of these songs. Pure joy... Milked this titty... oh my god.

Billy Joel pretty much sucks all the time. That song about "a bottle or red, a bottle of white". All that Doo Wop crap from that record in the 80's (uptown girl. longest time were chart toppers). Big Shot!... Big ****. What is or who is "Deentcha"?

I haven't thought of the tragi-pop in ages. An interesting genre. Who wants to hear music that makes them sad. It's like someone read a description of the blues and then tried to write some of their own.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Anything by Paul McCartney in the last 25 years. Trite drival at it's worst.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search