The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
"Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies or "Hey, Little Woman" by Bobby Sherman.

I win.

Nope! I already said "Sugar, Sugar"!!!

I win!!! (OK, its a tie!)
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Any song sung by Gwen Stefani. I can't believe I married a woman who listens to that and "My Lumps" over and over again. I can't help but pick out the lyrics to these songs and it makes my wife so mad when I repeat them back to her and ask what it means. I love her anyway I guess.heh

2 steps forward, 2 steps back, we come together cause opposites attract.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

"Blister in The Sun", by Violent Femmes. Put it next to a great song like "Livin' After Midnight", by Judas Priest and you'll know how to tell the difference between a booger and a gold nugget.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I will second the post citing "Creed,"

But truly, ANY of the drivel that has singers copying Eddie Vedder or Lane Staley. I though the **** would end around 2000, but it just keeps coming.

So... Creed/ 7Mary3/ Nickelback/ Godsmack (absolutely horrible. seriously.. what was with that "snakebite" song? It was all the proof you would ever need for "payola." )/ Matchbox 20/ the solo guy from Matchbox20/ there are many more; the list goes on.

Really, nowadays anything in the "Active Rock" radio industry format falls into this category. All the fake angst makes me want to kick someone in the balls.

The unfortunate thing is that SOME of the music from these artists is tolerable.. if the vocalist was not a derivitive fake Eddie Vedder rip off.

Also, anything and everything relating to Fred Durst.

Go in peace.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanveen
I hate you for reminding me of this one.

The only one I might hate more is this song called Cotton Eye Joe I only seem to hear at weddings. A sort of techno redneck line dance thing.

Oh look, I found it on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Ah.. cotton eye joe! Lol

I beleive you are referring to the group "Sex and Violins." (I used to work at a Camelot Music store until I discovered one day that it was literally killing me to even go there).
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynugz007
any godsmack song. The riffs are the kinda riffs you write when you first start playing guitar.

Any 3 doors down song especially kraptonite. Why was that song so huge?

Any fall out boy song. How are they any better than any of the other piece o' krud emo bands out there? There flippin huge right now,I dont get it

Any violent femmes song. Dumb quirky songs, played and sang poorly with extra crappy production. Again, I dont get it

b52's rock lobster- huuhh, why?? Why is this on my radio right now? I've heard this song 2 or 3 times over the last few weeks. For some reason its on regular rotation at my local radio station right now. Again, dumb song, crap performance and to add to it, its about 6 minutes long.
Yes you can add 3 doors down to any of the above that I mentioned in my rant. God-awful.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

" Oh Mandy, you came and gave with out taking...."

Maybe not the worst song ever, but pretty f'ing close!
Old 11th May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

I can't fathom how anyone could consider Wonderful Tonight as "rock". Pop, easy listening, sure... but rock? Come on.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Every song in the 80's! ..I mean every single one! ...all were crummy in every way, with maybe one exception, the "Little Mermaid" soundtrack.

70's? ..except for some Queen and Zep, the rest is all carny ..can't stand any of it.

New millenium? ..believe it or not, it's headed in the right direction cause we're referencing the best and worst of the past.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
"The Final Countdown" by Europe. If you want to see something funny, check out how these guys butcher it. . .ughh its awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP59O...al%20countdown

That was great!!! I love that stuff......GOD!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Anything by styx.

The whole catalog pretty much sucks but the two that always get me reaching for the pain killers are "Sweet madam blue" and dfegad "babe"
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
Every song in the 80's! ..I mean every single one! ...all were crummy in every way, with maybe one exception, the "Little Mermaid" soundtrack.

70's? ..except for some Queen and Zep, the rest is all carny ..can't stand any of it.

New millenium? ..believe it or not, it's headed in the right direction cause we're referencing the best and worst of the past.
You, are out of your mind. I hope you are kidding.?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guid0
Anything by styx.

The whole catalog pretty much sucks but the two that always get me reaching for the pain killers are "Sweet madam blue" and dfegad "babe"
Styx...another one of my favorite bands...!!

I think 'babe' is brilliant in every way. One of the best love songs of all time.

Much Respect,
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w
Kinda funny that a guy who can discount two decades of musicians is enough of an audio enthusiast to record music. Guy must hate every group that passes through his studio! heh
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w
Quote:
Kinda funny that a guy who can discount two decades of musicians is enough of an audio enthusiast to record music. Guy must hate every group that passes through his studio!
I dig music! ...just not from the 80's and most of the 70's.

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon
None of the above out-**** this song:

"We Built This City" -- Jefferson Starship

Absolute crap from beginning to end.

Cheers,
--
Don
I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Jeremy Smith, who produced and recorded said POS, while he was living in Austin a couple years back, and I had the common decency not to sing him my all-time favorite parody song, "We Milked This Titty."
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

"We wrote this ****ty...rock n roll"

It's a tie. That song, which I absolutly hate, and

"Someone left a cake out in the rain."

Mac-aufull Park.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll
The one you hate.

That being said, I personally find dfegad Steve Miller's entire catalogue to be the most fomulaic drivel imaginable.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
"We wrote this ****ty...rock n roll"

It's a tie. That song, which I absolutly hate, and

"Someone left a cake out in the rain."

Mac-aufull Park.
Uhg, that reminds me of another gem by Jimmy Webb ... "Up Up and Away... in my beautiful, my beautiful balloooooooooon!"

When I saw that he'd published a book on songwriting my heart sank for the legions of aspiring writers he may poison
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
I honestly and genuinely dig these...

Sister Christian - Knight Ranger (one of my favorite 80's tunes)
Hysteria and Pyromania by Def Lep
Sometimes When We Touch by Dan Hill.
Hootie & the Blowfish.... (Cracked rear view is a brilliant album)
"I Will Survive"... Gloria Gaynor
"Endless Love" Actually I dig alot of Commodores or Lionel Ritchie. Genuis songsmith.
Rupert Holmes "Pinà Colada Song" Genuis Lyrics...and always feels good.
Air Supply "All out of love"... Beautiful song

As well as a ton and ton and ton of sappy syrupy love songs.

My own music is naturally rootsy, soulful and down to earth...but my heart is right here with all of these sugar drenched love songs... MY world would be a lonelier place without most of these songs listed...

I need balance for my happiness...
I can't take Miles Davis or Bach or AC/DC or Zappa or Aretha Franklin or Alice in Chains on a steady diet...As a listening soul I need to be fed all of it in order to feel satisfied.

Much Respect,

As for my pick... I don't have any specific bands...but I never could relate to hardcore death metal.
Yeah, the Commodores/Ritchie were great, but "Endless Love" was NOT "Brick House". I think "Pyromania" was great but "Hysteria" was hampered by Rick Allen's electronic, one-armed drumming. As far as "I Will Survive" is concerned, the way she sings the word "survive" just sounds whiney and irritating. No wonder the guy dumped her! Haha! Also, when I worked as an MD on cruise ships during a dark period of my life, EVERY SINGLE passenger "talent" show had some wannabe star butcher that song.

"Escape" had, as I said, clever lyrics. But I just can't help not liking the music. Rupert Holmes has written for the best. "The Partridge Family", Barry Mantilow, Helen Ready, Britany Spears.... Haha! True! Honestly though, I like "Everything" and "Queen Bee" from "A Star is Born", as well as other things he's written for Barbra Streisand. He's a really talented song smith and author.

This thread once again shows the divergent tastes of human beings.

BUT! I think we can ALL agree on Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaperdida
Uhg, that reminds me of another gem by Jimmy Webb ... "Up Up and Away... in my beautiful, my beautiful balloooooooooon!"

When I saw that he'd published a book on songwriting my heart sank for the legions of aspiring writers he may poison

BLASPHEMY!!!! How DARE you! Haha!

I LOVE that song and Jimmy Webb is my idol as far as songwriting is concerned. "Witchita Lineman", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", and yes, "MacArthurs Park". Awesome, original tunes.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

"BUT! I think we can ALL agree on Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".

A sad story about that song. I was dj'ing at a wedding and played it as joke.....later that night I heard that Tiny Tim had passed away that day. Talk about a spooky coincidence......

I felt really bad, and admire him for his comedic genius and the way he thumbed his nose at the establishment and cultural standards.

Really now, how many of you would have the balls to sing a song like, "Tip Toe Thru The Tulips ??"

Last edited by djwayne; 11th May 2006 at 11:33 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
"BUT! I think we can ALL agree on Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".

A sad story about that song. I was dj'ing at a wedding and played it as joke.....later that night I heard that Tiny Tim had passed away that day. Talk about a spooky coincidence......

I felt really bad, and admire him for his comedic genius and the way he thumbed his nose at the establishment and cultural standards.

Really now, how many of you would have the balls to sing a song like, "Tip Toe Thru The Tulips ??"
It's all YOUR fault 'cause you played it as a joke! You refused to take him seriously as an artist! YOU.........!!!!!! CAD! Comedic genius...... Yeah, it was funny. But it was also awful...
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

This is an interesting thread. I just went through it to see how many of the songs mentioned I'd ever heard. It was more than I expected - nearly 20 of the hundreds of songs mentioned here are ones that I'm familiar with. I basically quit listening to rock/pop music in about 1975 when it turned to crap. This thread makes me feel that I've been blessed! I feel bad for you youngsters who had to grow up with this stuff. heh

Anyway, I'll give you my vote: "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got love in my Tummy" by the Ohio Express. Now that was truly dreadful.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

"It's all YOUR fault 'cause you played it as a joke! You refused to take him seriously as an artist! YOU.........!!!!!! CAD! Comedic genius...... Yeah, it was funny. But it was also awful..."

Oh but I did take him seriously. Years earlier, he was playing at some of the same clubs the band I was working with played, so seeing his name on the club schedule was familiar to me. So I viewed him another act/or band. He was a one of a kind legend. He was giging jobs just like we were, and even at the same places.....As a dj, I'd play the song once in awhile to to see what kind of reaction I'd get....mostly it was "WTF" kind of blank stares I'd get......

If you think it's so awful, YOU try singing that song with a straight face to a crowd of drunks. I'm telling you, it takes balls......
Old 11th May 2006
MWP
Gear Maniac

Didn't see it, but I believe this one may win.

Terry Jacks "Seasons in the Sun"

MWP
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

It's probably worth mentioning that Clapton intended "Wonderful Tonight" to be tongue-in-cheek. It's supposed to be about a dude getting fed up that his girlfriend / wife is taking so long to get ready to go out.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
"It's all YOUR fault 'cause you played it as a joke! You refused to take him seriously as an artist! YOU.........!!!!!! CAD! Comedic genius...... Yeah, it was funny. But it was also awful..."

Oh but I did take him seriously. Years earlier, he was playing at some of the same clubs the band I was working with played, so seeing his name on the club schedule was familiar to me. So I viewed him another act/or band. He was a one of a kind legend. He was giging jobs just like we were, and even at the same places.....As a dj, I'd play the song once in awhile to to see what kind of reaction I'd get....mostly it was "WTF" kind of blank stares I'd get......

If you think it's so awful, YOU try singing that song with a straight face to a crowd of drunks. I'm telling you, it takes balls......
I've done my rounds in piano bars. I've sung hundreds of tunes with a straight face to drunks. "My Way" for example... And god help me but I needed the tips, "The Rose". I really appreciate the comedy of it. He was the first Andy Kaufman. But I still wouldn't stick it in my CD player. I'd WATCH it on a Ed Sullivan DVD for some chuckles, for sure.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

anything by Nickelback or 3 days grace
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWP
Didn't see it, but I believe this one may win.

Terry Jacks "Seasons in the Sun"

MWP
Yeah! That's along the lines of "Billy, Don't be a Hero".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search