The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd April 2017
Eve of Destruction Barry McGuire. Can't stand it, and haven't since I was a lad. That little repetitive harmonica slur makes me want to scream.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Eve of Destruction Barry McGuire. Can't stand it, and haven't since I was a lad. That little repetitive harmonica slur makes me want to scream.
This was a reactionary-type response to it. I thought it was awful the first time I heard it, but it's kind of grown on me.

Old 23rd April 2017
Kumbaya. Ugh!
Old 23rd April 2017
Anything by the Barenaked Ladies.
Old 23rd April 2017
Anything by Smash Mouth.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

How about a Journey to the Center of Your Mind?

I don't know what's at the center of Ted Nugent's mind... but if you know the Ted Nugent story you might concur he was more equipped to manufacture diapers
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
Anything by the Barenaked Ladies.
I don't know anything about them other than the Big Bang Theory Song, which I like.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 23rd April 2017 at 09:15 PM..
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Addict

For me, it has to be:

'Losing My Religion' by REM
'Wonderwall' by Oasis
'Love Shack' by B52s

All of those will make me walk out of a store, restaurant, whatever.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Gerat Thread, although I have a lot to laugh, because some of the mentioned songs are some of my favs. Anyway...

What I never ever in my life will forget, when Chuck Berry - keeper of the holy grail of rock-n-roll - came with "My Ding-A-Ling".

I instantly thought: Now he is a complete idiot! And they played that thing on all alternative and pirate stations I used to listen to, on mainstream radio it was banned, obviously.

I have some Best Ofs of Chuck Berry... guess what song is not on these? Right. And I tend to believe, that there is a good reason for it...
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
I have some Best Ofs of Chuck Berry... guess what song is not on these? Right. And I tend to believe, that there is a good reason for it...
You don't see Elvis compilations with "U.S. Male" either. Although in Elvis' case I think it was a combination of miscalculating how the public perceived him plus unlucky timing in the social-change sense.

By the same token, how Tom Jones had a hit with "She's a Lady" (3 years after U.S. Male) without getting his nuts chopped off I'll never know.
Old 24th April 2017
Wow. U.S Male is a real knucke head anthem. Truely cringe-worthy lyrics.

I'm a U.S. male 'cause I was born
In a Mississippi town on a Sunday morn
Now Mississippi just happens to occupy a place
In the southeastern portion of this here United States
That's a matter of fact, buddy
And you know it well
So I just call myself the U.S. Male
That's M A L E, son, that's me

Now I said all that to say all this
I've been watchin' the way
You've been watchin' my miss
For the last three weeks you been hot on her trail
And you kinda upset this U.S. male
You touch her once with your greasy hands
I'm gonna stretch your neck like a long rubber band
She's wearin' a ring that I bought her on sale
And that makes her the property of this U.S. male

You better not mess with the U.S. male my friend
The U.S. male gets mad, he's gonna do you in
You know what's good for yourself son
You better find somebody else son
Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. male

Through the rain and the heat and the sleet and the snow
The U.S. male is on his toes
Quit watchin' my woman, for that ain't wise
You ain't pullin' no wool over this boy's eyes
I catch you 'round my woman, champ
I'm gonna leave your head 'bout the shape of a stamp
Kinda flattened out, so you'll do well
To quit playin' games with this U.S. male

You better not mess with the U.S. male my friend
The U.S. male gets mad, he's gonna do you in
You know what's good for yourself son
You better find somebody else son
Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. male

Sock it to me one time

I'm gonna tell it like it is son
I catch you messin' 'round with that woman of mine
I'm gonna lay one on ya
You're talkin' to the U.S. male
The American U.S. male

Written by Jerry Hubbard • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group, Hori Pro Entertainment Group
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
Wow. U.S Male is a real knucke head anthem. Truely cringe-worthy lyrics.<>Written by Jerry Hubbard...
That's how it was broadly received when Elvis did it.

Jerry "Hubbard" is actually Jerry Reed. He cut it and released it to country radio and everyone in that realm knew, considering the source, that it was all tongue in cheek. A joke. The kind of joke Randy Newman would make later on in songs like "Rednecks" and "Short People."

But then Elvis cut it. He probably thought it was going to be his own "Boy Named Sue." But Elvis releases didn't just go to country radio, they went everywhere. The top of Gloria Steinem's head blew off, he made the wrong kind of headlines, and radio stations that, ironically, never played Jerry Reed's original got the kinds of phone calls and letters that they'd rather not get.

All adding up to, as I referred to earlier, poor timing and miscalculation.
Old 24th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

Jerry "Hubbard" is actually Jerry Reed. He cut it and released it to country radio and everyone in that realm knew, considering the source, that it was all tongue in cheek. A joke. The kind of joke Randy Newman would make later on in songs like "Rednecks" and "Short People."

But then Elvis cut it. He probably thought it was going to be his own "Boy Named Sue." But Elvis releases didn't just go to country radio, they went everywhere. The top of Gloria Steinem's head blew off, he made the wrong kind of headlines, and radio stations that, ironically, never played Jerry Reed's original got the kinds of phone calls and letters that they'd rather not get.

Ah. That makes sense then. Elvis just doesn't come off as a tongue in cheek kind of guy. A miscalculation indeed.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You don't see Elvis compilations with "U.S. Male" either. Although in Elvis' case I think it was a combination of miscalculating how the public perceived him plus unlucky timing in the social-change sense.

By the same token, how Tom Jones had a hit with "She's a Lady" (3 years after U.S. Male) without getting his nuts chopped off I'll never know.
In the UK there was this. It was actually one of the first albums I ever bought (though mainly because it was in the 99p rack at Woolworths.)

Old 24th April 2017
Quote:

Never thought I'd see the day someone would make a name for themselves simply for being pissed off all of the time, but Steinem definitely pulled it of.

John Lennon once stated that Elvis died after he joined the Army. I get his drift. This song is good evidence why he felt that way.
Old 24th April 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
The writers of commercial jingles wish they were that talented.
Once upon a time...

Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
True story: I used to be in a band with the kid from that video. Pretty cool dude. He'd wanted to make some mainstreamy industrial rock together, but he gave me a pretty long creative leash to work with. He'd let me do my thing of making freakish industrial noise and then we'd get together to see how it worked. He was a better songwriter compositionwise than I, so he knew how to reel it back in whenever the music was trying too hard to be experimental and borderline unlistenable.

So, apparently, what he wanted to do with his life (insert spittle) wasn't just rock, he wanted to mainsteamy industrial rock.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Has to be - Spirit in the Sky.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I accidentally heard another one. Otherwise I'd have never thought of it again:

It hurts to post some of these. I mean - who wants to think of songs that they generally try to avoid?
Is that like Genghis Khan having someone torn between two horses?

Actually, that might be less painful to listen to......
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Head

What's up? 4-Non-Blondes
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Anything by Steely Dan makes me want to kick puppies, and I adore puppies. It's the lamest, whitest, faggy, not-rock ever conceived. I'd banish them and their entire catalog to the depths of a molten volcano if I were king, and I'd YouTube the agonizing cries as those horrible sounds of their deaths would indeed be cooler than anything those dorks have ever thought of.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear
edited
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Anything by Steely Dan makes me want to kick puppies, and I adore puppies. It's the lamest, whitest,not-rock ever conceived. I'd banish them and their entire catalog to the depths of a molten volcano if I were king, and I'd YouTube the agonizing cries as those horrible sounds of their deaths would indeed be cooler than anything those dorks have ever thought of.
King Runnykine "you,re never gonna do it without your Fez on"
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear
Time for a Big Log
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

And so, what have we leaned?

Every popular song is hated by some percentage of the population!

There are good songs, bad songs, and songs abysmal enough to make you wish permanent diarrhea on the writer.

And , beyond that last circle of Hell, is "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

We Built This City is still the worst, though, followed closely by all Creed and all Nickleback songs.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Time for a Big Log
Two things:

1. I question if you could call this a "popular song", as it doesn't get much airplay.

2. Perhaps you didn't get the memo: It's forbidden to hate on Robert Plant on this forum.

Last edited by robert82; 7th June 2018 at 02:40 AM..
Old 4th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
We Built This City is still the worst, though, followed closely by all Creed and all Nickleback songs.

Old 5th June 2018
Deleted User
Everybody's life has a purpose. Sometimes, that purpose is to serve as a cautionary tale to others.

This thread also serves a purpose, and that purpose is to demonstrate -- in no uncertain terms -- that no matter what artist, genre or song you like, some ********* (rhymes with 'moosh wag') on GearSlutz hates it.
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Since we've extended this into pop, I'm gonna have to say:

"Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill.

This has GOT to be the most horrible, treacly, gawdawful pos ever recorded -- AND I actually went out for a while with a girl who GAVE ME A COPY FOR VALENTINE'S DAY

The pain -- though decades old -- is still as raw as this morning's razor burn.

Sometimes when we touch
the honesty's too much...

It gives me icy shudders just thinking about it.

Haha! Same here. In fact I was dating a girl in college and when we went into a record store they were playing that song. She immediately chirped “oh I LOVE that song!” I considered breaking up with her right then and there...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search