The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I know someone whose favourite artist of all time is Billy Joel.
He's not my "#1", but he easily makes the top 10. I'll add Elton John too.
Old 11th April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
Most of Billy Joel's catalog. His songs come on the radio and I can't hit the tuner scan button quick enough.
That's so funny -- I'm the exact same way about Guns 'n Roses. Any time "Sweet Child o' Mine" or "Welcome to the Jungle" comes over the radio I can't quite hit the presets fast enough.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

One more:

The first CSN album is one of my all-time faves, 'Deja Vu' is also great but I really think that Graham Nash's songwriting contributions are terrible.

I mean, listen to this. Imagine coming to a rehearsal with your band and going 'I got a new tune, check it out!'. You'd get kicked out or laughed out of the room for sure. Musically terrible but even worse lyrically.

Again, Nash is a great harmony singer, I even read his autobiography and found it entertaining but 'Our House' is only topped by 'Wonderful Tonight' in my worst song list. And that one was the start of this thread here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

I hate it, I can't believe anyone ever liked it. It is the cheesiest song of all time and it makes me want to kill.

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
I agree 100%. And I LIKE Clapton.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

I like Nilsson. But for grating, unforgettable, dana harvey-eque, "is this for real?" hooks........

Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

This summarizes just about everything that is wrong with the world.

Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This summarizes just about everything that is wrong with the world.
True, true.....but so does clicking on the link and validating their little bubble!

Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFire View Post
Worst is really a matter of taste, so there is a lot of disagreement.

Curiously, the only song that seems to be universally hated is "Built this City".....
Old 12th April 2017
Some Beatles tracks I could do without:
When I'm 64
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Magical Mystery Tour
The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I mean, listen to this. Imagine coming to a rehearsal with your band and going 'I got a new tune, check it out!'. You'd get kicked out or laughed out of the room for sure. Musically terrible but even worse lyrically.

That's a decent track, I doubt anyone has ever brought a song that good to one of your band's rehearsal.
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolpool View Post
That's a decent track, I doubt anyone has ever brought a song that good to one of your band's rehearsal.
As I've said above, CSN and CSN+Y are great. IMO Stephen Stills is one the greatest musician of the rock era, on a level with Steve Winwood for sheer talent.

But if you forget about the 'fame' and 'historic' factor and just consider 'Our House' as a song - melody, lyrics, impact - I think it's terrible on all fronts.

YMMV but if you compare it to say '4 + 20' or 'Judy Blue Eyes' or 'Gunnievere' I think it fails brutally. But to me it goes beyond the music, coming from a 'revolutionary' hippie outfit I think it's just lame and weak. Pretty much a sign of things to come in the 70s as in rich, wasted, corporate rock stars with absolutely nothing to say but somehow insisting they are still relevant and 'anti-establishment'.

Iggy Pop has famously claimed that Nash's 'Marrakesh Express' is the worst song ever written. Hehe! But I must admit it's the one Nash song from that era that I really like.
Old 12th April 2017
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
It was only a matter of time . . .

This was always my prime example of why not all 60s music was the bomb.
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
It was only a matter of time . . .

This was always my prime example of why not all 60s music was the bomb.
I don't hear the problem with it, sounds just like The Beatles to me - great to know there's other golden age acts out there to discover and enjoy.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post

Coincidence?
Old 14th April 2017
MY SHARONA. This song kept me away from The Knack for years. Their albums are actually good... except for their big hit!
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
"There's Got To Be a Morning After" -- Maureen McGovern

and

"Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the Old Oak Tree" -- Tony Orlando and Dawn

I'm sure both of these play in endless rotation on a level of Dante's hell that he could never bring himself to write about.

Cheers,
--
Don
I played "Tie a yellow ribbon" about one a week for two years when I was in a pop/standards band. That was 40 years ago and I'm finally almost done with the therapy!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

By the standards of Pop Rock in the mid 60's, this gem is a bit tame, but... when I hear....
BORN FREE...
I ain't Lion
Old 20th April 2017
I accidentally heard another one. Otherwise I'd have never thought of it again:

It hurts to post some of these. I mean - who wants to think of songs that they generally try to avoid?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Can I say 'overblown'?

Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I accidentally heard another one. Otherwise I'd have never thought of it again:

It hurts to post some of these. I mean - who wants to think of songs that they generally try to avoid?
I bet she still can't decide
Old 22nd April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoRoom View Post
Coincidence?
Not the same genre, not the same decade; so yes, I'd have to say this is a complete coincidence...
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]

"There's an empty place inside of me, that only he can fill."

Erm, are you sure about that line, Mary?
Old 22nd April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I bet she still can't decide

I thought this was a thread about the _worst_ popular rock song ever, not the songs so overplayed it's almost a CIA "enhanced interrogation" method where you'd admit to anything just to be put into solitary confinement. If that what this thread has degenerated into, may I offer a few suggestions:

"The Rose" by Bette Middler
"Roar" by Katy Perry
"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor
"Hand in My Pocket" by Alanis Morissette
"Queen of Hearts" by Juice Newton
"Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga
"Macarena" by Los Del Rio (okay -- this is both: overplayed and probably the worst song ever. Makes "We Built This City" sound like Bach)
"MmmBop" by Hanson (Same thing. Can't decide which is worse)
"Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison
"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

And finally, IMHO the most overplayed song of all time, so overplayed that any time it comes over the radio I want to shove an icicle into my left ear, through my brain and have it come out my right eye:

"You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

....And as a few of the comments point out, check out her top as the song goes on. Either she's getting off on the memory or someone switched of the air conditioning.
Old 22nd April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
I like Nilsson. But for grating, unforgettable, dana harvey-eque, "is this for real?" hooks........

I just love this song! 2:33, he breaks his spoon, then just looks at it. The whole song is surreal, but Harry Nilsson dressed up in an ape suit with a bowler hat, hitting a coconut with a wooden spoon...
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
"There's an empty place inside of me, that only he can fill."

Erm, are you sure about that line, Mary?
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post
And finally, IMHO the most overplayed song of all time, so overplayed that any time it comes over the radio I want to shove an icicle into my left ear, through my brain and have it come out my right eye:

"You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone
It's not just overplayed -- the back story behind that record is one of extremely bad juju.
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
....And as a few of the comments point out, check out her top as the song goes on.
If it weren't for the bralessness, I'd have sworn she was Canadian.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear
About half the songs on rock radio stations from 2001-present. Before 2001 even the pop-rock songs were decent, like "Closing Time", "Sex and Candy", "If You Could Only See", "Iris", "Faith (Cover)", "Dammit", "My Own Worst Enemy", "Good Riddance", "Drive", etc those were great pop songs that made you want to sing along even though they sucked because there was some vocal talent and a little bit of rhythmic creativity there (I know I'm missing SO many). They all had their own unique production styles, and you could instantly tell the difference in production from the first chord or snare hit. After 2001 the pop-rock started getting really bad. The good thing was that the progressive rock/metal really started to catch on in the mainstream and people actually listened to real musicians playing real instruments again. Maybe that's why the pop rock started to suck though, because any jackass with goatee and a bass could sing a few notes into his auto-tune rack unit, go to the local college music studio running ProtoolsLE with a Digi03 control surface and track an over-compressed quantization festival over EZDrummer and then have their uncle get them a record deal, print up cds at their local Kinkos and put their WavesL2 crushed beyond recognition track on their regional radio station. Who knows.

Most of the good stuff on the radio after 2001 was the grunge and prog from the late 70s, late 80s and early to mid 90s which sadly is now all considered classic rock. Don't let anybody tell you the music market isn't teenagers. You sell good music to teens who play an instrument or sing, and sit by the pool and do some iPhone/iPad cut-and-paste for those who don't.
Old 23rd April 2017
Quote:
....And as a few of the comments point out, check out her top as the song goes on. Either she's getting off on the memory or someone switched of the air conditioning.
Now that you mention it - I'm sensing a degree of tense coldness between those two acoustic players.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search