The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th February 2017
  #541
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeofenki View Post
@vincentvangogo
Now enjoy my backup entry...


https://youtu.be/SRwrg0db_zY?t=91

Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock"
True story: I used to be in a band with the kid from that video. Pretty cool dude. He'd wanted to make some mainstreamy industrial rock together, but he gave me a pretty long creative leash to work with. He'd let me do my thing of making freakish industrial noise and then we'd get together to see how it worked. He was a better songwriter compositionwise than I, so he knew how to reel it back in whenever the music was trying too hard to be experimental and borderline unlistenable.

Old 17th February 2017
  #542
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
This one inhaled pretty badly:
Oh Johnny.
You just had to do this. Yeah. Thanks a lot. Thanks for putting this in my brain ONCE AGAIN. Do you have any idea what I need to do to purge this manifestation of putridity from my consciousness? I'll have to listen to, like, fifteen hours of Gregorian chants. While sober!

You've done it. You have identified the Worst Song Of All Time.
For Shame!!
Old 17th February 2017
  #543
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Oh Johnny.
You just had to do this. Yeah. Thanks a lot. Thanks for putting this in my brain ONCE AGAIN. Do you have any idea what I need to do to purge this manifestation of putridity from my consciousness? I'll have to listen to, like, fifteen hours of Gregorian chants. While sober!

You've done it. You have identified the Worst Song Of All Time.
For Shame!!
It's already been mentioned in this thread a couple of times (rightly so.) At the risk of forever blowing my cred, this cover is actually not too bad, or at least a big improvement on the original

Old 17th February 2017
  #544
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
It's already been mentioned in this thread a couple of times (rightly so.) At the risk of forever blowing my cred, this cover is actually not too bad, or at least a big improvement on the original...
That means one of two things: This thread has gotten too long, or my memory has grown too short.

Now if I could simply forget about the damned song.

AH!


Last edited by johnny nowhere; 20th April 2017 at 01:49 AM..
Old 27th February 2017
  #545
Here for the gear
 

Yellow Submarine
Old 28th February 2017
  #546
Gear Head
 

Angry

How about this atrocity to music called Mustang Sally?

Old 28th February 2017
  #547
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego_Shredder View Post
How about this atrocity to music called Mustang Sally?

Great song. Awful version.
Old 28th February 2017
  #548
Come on. Everybody knows it's Locomotion.
Old 12th March 2017
  #549
Lives for gear
Black Eyed Peas - "Dirty Bit"
Limp Bizkit - "Faith"
Old 4th April 2017
  #550
Recently listened to Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence. Just plain awful. Urrrgh.
Old 6th April 2017
  #551
Gear Addict
 
ZFire's Avatar
 

Worst is really a matter of taste, so there is a lot of disagreement.

Curiously, the only song that seems to be universally hated is "Built this City".....
Old 7th April 2017
  #552
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFire View Post
Worst is really a matter of taste, so there is a lot of disagreement.

Curiously, the only song that seems to be universally hated is "Built this City".....
I actually don't hate that song.

I think what people hate is not the song itself, but what it represents...an edgy expiremental band from the '60s tarnishing their legacy by "selling out" and going commercial. If any typical artist from the '80s did that song, I don't think it would be so reviled. Though I can understand how the hammy, over-the-top, Broadway-style singing probably doesn't endear itself to rock fans. And if you hate '80s synth-pop in general, you probably won't like anything in this vein.

But I admit that I do find it...dare I say it...entertaining!
Old 7th April 2017
  #553
Gear Maniac
 

'Old time rock and roll'--Bob Seger. SO overplayed and worn out--even if you could hear the bass guitar in the mix it wouldn't be much better. And here where I live also a lot of Creedence and quite a number of songs listed in this thread never seem to go away....but around here a lot of people like both kinds of music, Lynyrd AND Skynyrd.
Old 7th April 2017
  #554
Lives for gear
 
latweek's Avatar
 

Knee Deep In the Hoopla, Nose Deep in the Booger Sugar.

Must....move.....more......units.......

Old 8th April 2017
  #555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampex 354 View Post
'Old time rock and roll'--Bob Seger. SO overplayed and worn out--even if you could hear the bass guitar in the mix it wouldn't be much better.
I'm hip. I was sick of that tune 3 weeks after the initial release.
Old 8th April 2017
  #556
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
[QUOTE=latweek;12552947]Knee Deep In the Hoopla, Nose Deep in the Booger Sugar.

Must....move.....more......units.......


White Star(ship) Line presents: a Titanic hit...

The thought occurred to me, Grace Slick's daughter China Kantner VJ'ed at MTV somewhere near that decade; any chance that's how that musical PsyOp made it to the public at all?

-update- no, We Built This City was 1985 and China was VJ from 1994-2001. Myth... busted
Old 8th April 2017
  #557
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 

Most of Billy Joel's catalog. His songs come on the radio and I can't hit the tuner scan button quick enough. There are a lot of songs/music that I like to have playing in my brain. If I hear one of his songs it haunts me until I can replace it with some other tune.
Old 8th April 2017
  #558
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
Most of Billy Joel's catalog. His songs come on the radio and I can't hit the tuner scan button quick enough. There are a lot of songs/music that I like to have playing in my brain. If I hear one of his songs it haunts me until I can replace it with some other tune.
I've felt that way my entire life up until weeks ago But a funny thing happened: there was a BJ concert on TV at Candlestick Park, date unknown, and the songs translate amazingly well to a concert environment. I enjoyed it and then didn't know what to think

I know, that doesn't help the radio one bit...
Old 9th April 2017
  #559
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
Most of Billy Joel's catalog.
I like the "Stranger" album almost in its entirety, and dislike almost everything else of his. Not sure why that is.

One little touch I really admire, though, is on "Only the Good Die Young." During the verses, the drummer's playing a normal pattern, only backwards. Check it out.
Old 9th April 2017
  #560
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I like the "Stranger" album almost in its entirety, and dislike almost everything else of his. Not sure why that is.

One little touch I really admire, though, is on "Only the Good Die Young." During the verses, the drummer's playing a normal pattern, only backwards. Check it out.
I like good hooks and Melodies. But I can't really figure out what it is about Joel's hooks that make my brain go crazy. His hooks get in my mind, and not in a good way. I want to flush them out and replace them with something, anything, but Uptown girls........ Geez, there I go. Now I have that song rattling around in my head
Old 9th April 2017
  #561
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

I know someone whose favourite artist of all time is Billy Joel.
Old 9th April 2017
  #562
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
I like good hooks and Melodies. But I can't really figure out what it is about Joel's hooks that make my brain go crazy.
The writers of commercial jingles wish they were that talented.
Old 9th April 2017
  #563
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
The writers of commercial jingles wish they were that talented.
Billy Joel could be the second coming of Barry Manilow. Instead of starting out his career as a jingle writer, he could end it as one
Old 9th April 2017
  #564
Lives for gear
 
latweek's Avatar
 

Well, there is some truth in there....BJ was a master of the "sound alike", but to the level of genius.

Some samples:

Piano Man>>Mr Bojangles
Uptown Girl>>Take your pick of Frankie Valli =/4 seasons
Don't Ask Me Why>>Take your pick of any Stones Tattoo You track
It's Still Rock and Roll To Me>>>80's Stray Cats/Rockabilly Revival

Which is why Turnstiles, The Stranger and 52nd St are IMHO, the most "Billy Joel" sounding records, the most authentic and individual sounding of his strongest albums.

Last edited by latweek; 10th April 2017 at 12:34 AM..
Old 10th April 2017
  #565
Gear Head
Thanks all for this thread, many chuckles were had.

Star Baby - The Guess Who. After Randy Bachman left the group to found BTO, the remainder turned to ****e, just going through the motions.
Juke Box Hero - Foreigner
The Kid Is Hot Tonite - Loverboy

+1 on all the mentions of Billy Joel, Springsteen, My Humps.

We Built This City I think of as satire. No one would do something that dreadful on purpose. They were laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 10th April 2017
  #566
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
Well, there is some truth in there....BJ was a master of the "sound alike", but to the level of genius.

Some samples:

Piano Man>>Mr Bojangles
Uptown Girl>>Take your pick of Frankie Valli =/4 seasons
Don't Ask Me Why>>Take your pick of any Stones Tattoo You track
It's Still Rock and Roll To Me>>>80's Stray Cats/Rockabilly Revival

Which is why Turnstiles, The Stranger and 52nd St are IMHO, the most "Billy Joel" sounding records, the most authentic and individual sounding of his strongest albums.
Speaking of Frankie Valli & the 4 Seasons, which sounds more like the name for a meat tenderizer than four quarters of a year... they wrecked my childhood.
Big Girls Don't Cry - it just comes off as an abusive man rubbing salt in the wound... but all their songs really s**t the bed as well!
Old 11th April 2017
  #567
At the risk of getting some of you guys really pissed at me, I'm going to post another, but be forewarned.

I'll preface by stating that I am only doing this, so that those who may have never heard it, understands that the 70s were not without musical pitfalls, and that we were always having to dodge the bullets that the record industry would fire at us.

The following tune is malware to the brain, and I used to rage until I could change the station, so much so that I only right-clicked and copied the link location, because I feared auto-start.


Last edited by johnny nowhere; 11th April 2017 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Public service announcement for prevention of Auto-Rage
Old 11th April 2017
  #568
Lives for gear
^^^ Well i gotta say, i had forgotten about "Starbuck" but its not one for the list in my opinion. It could be i because i was working in a factory when it was out and any respite from the boredom was appreciated.

Plenty to choose from the Seventies though (i appreciate the thread title is for R-n-R song but hey)
1974

Old 11th April 2017
  #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
At the risk of getting some of you guys really pissed at me, I'm going to post another, but be forewarned.

I'll preface by stating that I am only doing this, so that those who may have never heard it, understands that the 70s were not without musical pitfalls, and that we were always having to dodge the bullets that the record industry would fire at us.

The following tune is malware to the brain, and I used to rage until I could change the station, so much so that I only right-clicked and copied the link location, because I feared auto-start.

I think you've just proved that the lesser tunes of the '70s still kill 99% of what's out there on the charts today.
It's an average tune but worth listening to just for the rockin' Marimba solo.
Old 11th April 2017
  #570
Not really rock but I really hate this song.
The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Remoteness / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
140
thenoiseflower / So many guitars, so little time
5
epiphany_79 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1
Tim O'Brien / Low End Theory
24
Curve Dominant / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump