The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Summertime Blues. 'Cause there ain't no cure for the (song titled) Summertime Blues. No 1 buzz kill ever but Paul Anka's Havin' My Baby is probably tied. You know damn well she's pregnant by some other guy anyway. Probably the same mithith....Mrs Jones... mithith jones mitthith jones mithith Jones... wah wha wha...
Burn AM radio, BURN!
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Summertime Blues. No 1 buzz kill ever but Paul Anka's Havin' My Baby is probably tied.
Supreme Court goes Tea Party >> Roe v. Wade reversed >> buzzes killed throughout the land.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Supreme Court goes Tea Party >> Roe v. Wade reversed >> buzzes killed throughout the land.

Old 30th November 2016
Gear Maniac

"we built this city"

end of thread.
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Since this thread was started, some new contenders have emerged. I'd like to nominate "Human" by Brandon Flowers. Not only is it a really dumb song, but (showing my age, here) his singing style reminds me of this classic artiste.
I'd never heard of that song or singer....agreed, it blows chunks....one of those awful things you can't unhear.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Almost every song posted in this thread got a lot of radio play. They have memorable hooks. Even the songs that I don't like... At least I can recognize what made them popular.

There's one song that tops my list, though, if you can even call it a song. Big Sean - Dance (A$$) feat Nicki Minaj.

The fact that this degenerate trash was foisted on the public is almost enough to make me believe it's part of a social engineering program or psyop or mass mind control experiment. I don't think Soviet subversives could have topped it if they tried.

Not only is the song morally putrid and utterly lacking in dignity or class... It's not even musically interesting. There is nothing catchy or hook-y about it. I suppose it could be considered hypnotic and mind-deadening...? I am totally at a loss as to why this song was played on corporate radio. It belongs in a torture chamber.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Well, on that note - how about this one????
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear
Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

suddenly this one came to mind:
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Two that make me want to shove pencils in my ears:

Abracadabra-Steve Miller
Old Time Rock and Roll- Bob Seger
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Summertime Blues. 'Cause there ain't no cure for the (song titled) Summertime Blues. No 1 buzz kill ever but Paul Anka's Havin' My Baby is probably tied. You know damn well she's pregnant by some other guy anyway. Probably the same mithith....Mrs Jones... mithith jones mitthith jones mithith Jones... wah wha wha...
Burn AM radio, BURN!
" mithith....Mrs Jones... mithith jones mitthith jones mithith Jones... wah wha wha... "

spits coffee thru nose ... this post, hands down, my nominee for 'Best Transcription of An Annoying Vocal Performance' Award
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
I'll call dibs on Men Without Hats, Safety Dance.
God have mercy.

And what was with the video with the midget in medieval clothing?
Ha!
This track would top my list in a "Songs you can't help but love no matter what" thread!
So subjective idn' it - and all things considered, that's what makes this all great fun.

ps: that video was directed by Tim Pope (did all the Cure videos around that time), so you have to expect the weird, the unexpected stuff whacky imagery.
That midget was in Time Bandits!
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Ha!
This track would top my list in a "Songs you can't help but love no matter what" thread!
So subjective idn' it - and all things considered, that's what makes this all great fun.
Yeah, I LOVE "Safety Dance"!
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Ha!

ps: that video was directed by Tim Pope (did all the Cure videos around that time), so you have to expect the weird, the unexpected stuff whacky imagery.
That midget was in Time Bandits!
You know you're entering iffy territory when you have a midget in your video.
This also fits the category of songs you shouldn't like, but do/guilty pleasures.

Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Distrubed's rendition of "Sound of Silence". My step mother actually threw a fit when she sent me a link to the YouTube video and I told her I didn't like it. I really don't get why people like it so much when the Simon & Garfunkle version is soooooo good.
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Anything by "Roxette or Aqua" shoot me now - Now!
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=KingDaddyO;12318934]" mithith....Mrs Jones... mithith jones mitthith jones mithith Jones... wah wha wha... "

Ahhh... I love me my Mrs Jones...she's got obligations too!
So do I.

Love Biiy Paul...giggles lol!bah, ha, ha! Cheese in a spray can!

Stunned to turn on the idiot box watching the news...the biggest news the USA is running out of spray can whipped cream! For Christmas! Champagne problems for sure!

Ha, ha, ha...lol
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Head
"We Built this city" ...stomach churning.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

The beginning of the end of whatever might have been good about '60s rock was "Allright Now" by Free.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch36 View Post
I was in a bar the other night when it came on. I'd forgotten how horrible it is. And for so many different reasons.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I was in a bar the other night when it came on. I'd forgotten how horrible it is. And for so many different reasons.
What exactly is wrong with this Built City song? Melody, lyrics, arrangement, sound?
I didn't know that song much before, listened on youtube and for me it is just one of many typical songs of that time, not good, just average and forgettable. Nothing special in it neither positive or negative.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacev View Post
What exactly is wrong with this Built City song? Melody, lyrics, arrangement, sound?
I didn't know that song much before, listened on youtube and for me it is just one of many typical songs of that time, not good, just average and forgettable. Nothing special in it neither positive or negative.
+ 1

There is no contest, THE worst song in rock and roll is (drumroll please)

MY DING A LING by Chuck Berry. And it was a big hit, go figure.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacev View Post
Musically it's like the ultimate exercise in 80's cheesiness from the dire keyboard and drum sounds to the solo, melodies and arrangement. But what really sticks in the craw is the hypocrisy of the seemingly anti selling-out message given the back story to the song and band. (Jefferson Airplane were a once revolutionary 60s act- musically and politically- who Grace Slick then ****ed over by replacing all the original members while trying to maintain rights to the band name. And all in order to please the record label's demands for a radio-friendly hit single.)

Compare and contrast.

Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

80's Heart vs. 80's Starship. A battle no one wins.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
80's Heart vs. 80's Starship. A battle no one wins.

Really?

Alone? These Dreams? Great songs.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

See vince post above.....not great at all in comparison to early Heart. Again, it all depends on how corporate your rock tastes go.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

LOL, after further research, just came across Martin Page. Seems like a nice, talented guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Page

Last edited by latweek; 27th December 2016 at 06:21 AM..
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch36 View Post
Dreadful indeed.

Sounds like a terrible Learners Midi File track!
Except done on Fairlight CMI IIx
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Just like the white-winged dove (sings the song sounds like she's singing) ooh.. (baby) ooh.. ... blah...
Old 2nd January 2017

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search