The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

welcome to the jungle by guns n roses. the vocals are so annoying it's ridiculous.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
"Juke Box Hero" by Foreigner is near the bottom for me... It's just embarrassing even amongst the other cringe worthy Foreigner songs
Love that song!
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
Most anything in the iTunes Top Ten today.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry, I know it's annoying to some, but must mention the 7 year neckro

That said, nothing beats that "white stripes" song that is played in every single sporting event. Please god, make it stop!
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

It's VINTAGE, man...
Old 21st October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Love that song!
Me too! And good luck to anyone trying to cop a Mick Jones solo! Only person in history that can make something like that work
Old 21st October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
It's VINTAGE, man...
You are of course correct!!!!!!
Old 21st October 2015
Gear Nut

for a while it was the official song for live soundcheck. (???)
Money for nothing - Dire straits
Old 22nd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunebuggy View Post
for a while it was the official song for live soundcheck. (???)
Money for nothing - Dire straits
Great record.

Horses for courses!
Old 23rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"The Final Countdown" by Europe.
Dredged this quote from 2006. Yeah, The Final Countdown is, in my book, the worst song ever recorded that hit the charts and made it somewhere.

The other rock candidate... Styx, Babe. Eeeeeyowww!!

Of course, if you step out of rock, Alicia Bridges' I Love the Nightlife beats the tar off both of those for worst ever.
Old 23rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Every time I microwave a hot pocket...
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Dredged this quote from 2006. Yeah, The Final Countdown is, in my book, the worst song ever recorded that hit the charts and made it somewhere.

Of course, if you step out of rock, Alicia Bridges' I Love the Nightlife beats the tar off both of those for worst ever.
Yea, but you're hearing that line "disc-go-round" in your head right now!

My vote is for "We Built This City".
I hate it.
Old 26th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post

Babe is terrible. Final countdown is no a ****ing geico commercial

I don't mind the "I love the night life" one but I don't like the "bomb on you" or whatever that is.

That reminds me. The rap one with that weird indian noise (jump?) its both catchy and makes me want to hurt small animals. Pretty sure it's what they intended.
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

The Year Of The Cat by Al Stewart.

I just heard it in a café and it reminded me of this thread.
That song just gives me the creeps, dunno why.
Old 27th November 2016
Gear Guru

Since this thread was started, some new contenders have emerged. I'd like to nominate "Human" by Brandon Flowers. Not only is it a really dumb song, but (showing my age, here) his singing style reminds me of this classic artiste.
Attached Thumbnails
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll-alfalfa.jpg  
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Since this thread was started, some new contenders have emerged. I'd like to nominate "Human" by Brandon Flowers. Not only is it a really dumb song, but (showing my age, here) his singing style reminds me of this classic artiste.
His vocal delivery reminds me of Marian Gold of Alphaville.
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

If it's just hard rock, this has to be in the running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJgv-qBBT3Y

Otherwise, if we're including pop, it's gotta be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

Everything.. From 2005 - 2016....
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

And I'm never flying Southwest again for:

a) Making me listen twice to Journey during every commercial break during NFL 2016. Twice. Every break.

b) Making those poor actors pretend like they are enjoying lip-syncing and air guitar strumming the childhood memories of the men in suits.

c) see point a

I completely understand their hollow stare at the camera, and I stare back with the same soul emptying expression. With the TV on mute, of course.
Old 28th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
b) Making those poor actors pretend like they are enjoying lip-syncing and air guitar strumming the childhood memories of the men in suits.
For those poor actors, it was a very, very good day at the office. And it's been a long time since ad people wore suits.

Southwest's "no blackout dates" policy is a great one. But you're right, this isn't one of their better promotions for it.

If you have a DVR, why not put the realtime game in pause right before kickoff and then come back in 20 minutes or so. That should allow you to bypass all the commercials in the first half. Then do it again for the second half. You can catch up on those Sunday chores and be rewarded with commercial-free almost-live football.
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those poor actors, it was a very, very good day at the office. And it's been a long time since ad people wore suits.
Kudos, you outlined the origin of the empty stare. It is known that people will do horrid things for money, it's just quite sad to watch.

In fact, its an insulting ad, it's offensively formulaic, unfunny, and uncomfortable to watch.

And those "ad people" that think that not wearing a suit is "hip", are always going to be a suit of some kind. "hey, that Europe thing was funny, let's do the exact same schtick with Southwest, now what's for lunch?"

Lastly, I don't "do DVR". Or any other tithe to the "ad people". I get the basic channels as part of the internet service, and there's this mute button on my tv that doesn't cost a penny. Keeps me busy doing production instead of fast forwarding. I do miss re-wind though.

Anyways, this ad is a depressing statement about the noise a barrel makes when the bottom is scraped.

Otherwise, I'm totally ok with it.

Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
First time I heard that song it took me a good fifteen minutes to recover from how bad the lyrics were. I couldn't believe it when I heard it was an actual hit.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

A couple of others that make me want to stick pins in my ears are Bubble Butt by Major Lazer, Because I Got high by Afro Man and Billionaire by Travis McCoy.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Uptown Funk, We Didn't Start the Fire, Money For Nothing, Walk Of Life.
Old 29th November 2016
Just about anything that the Steve Miller Band ever did. Money be damned. That band was a textbook example for how to surgically remove any amount of spine that 'rock n roll' once had.

Pointless synth noises and the plink-quack- vanilla sounding Strat.

Yee-haw.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 29th November 2016 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: On closer inspection, somebody brought him up.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
The Year Of The Cat by Al Stewart.

I just heard it in a café and it reminded me of this thread.
That song just gives me the creeps, dunno why.
Maybe somebody spiked your coffee? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 'Year of the cat'! Great song, vocal, production. Alan Parsons!
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Maybe somebody spiked your coffee?
No my coffee is just perfect, thanks.
It just tastes different than yours, nothing more.
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Just about anything that the Steve Miller Band ever did. I can't believe that no one has brought it up. Money be damned. That band was a textbook example for how to surgically remove any amount of spine that 'rock n roll' once had.
And you could easily have mentioned how, um, derivative, some of his songs are. I give the prize to "Keep On Rockin' Me Baby," which starts out as a clone of "All Right Now," careens into "Take It Easy," and later lifts a line from "California Girls."

The engineer in me, however, has to tip his hat to whomever recorded the B3 on "Fly Like an Eagle." Gorgeous.
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Head

I'll admit, I didn't go thru this list exhaustively, but I did not find any Joan Jett on here yet. JJ could definitely put out a worst of-best of CD.

Worst offender:

I hate myself for loving you

Total novice guitar playing/writing on everything I've ever heard of hers. Yes, I fully acknowledge her contributions and her catalog. But this song is just BAD. Kind of like her "Bad Reputation" (ducks and scoots out of the room while glasses fly and break all around.)
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

...and don't forget to include the happy worker/apple pie fascist march that has become the odious opening of Sunday Night Football.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search