The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO View Post
Honestly, it should be a punishable offense to disqualify WBTC from this thread LOL. I mean, one of the many reasons so many here have it on speed dial to win, and run barfing from it, is that they (JS) thought that it was RnR ... enough to boldly proclaim so in the song lyric. That it just happened to be a limp cheesy corporate pop tart, makes it all the more of a heroic contender (two - two mints in one!) for the twin booby prize.

Look at it this way: in a perversely twisted sort of way, your statement can actually be seen as bolstering the argument for why this *cough* s-s-s-song (ugh!) is such a magnificent turd blossom. heh
You have a compelling argument.I didn't think of it that way.I did bolster that thing of a song without even knowing it.All right then.....WBTC is and forever the be all end all 9/11 of rock n roll's most popular piece of dog poop.
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
No..... you're all wrong...

It's Mr. Roboto.

I promise.
It really is.

Play it on Youtube.
Here it is: YouTube - mister roboto
I do believe you are right. In fact...

Any song by Styx that doesn't overtly rock would equally qualify!

There is one hope for the roboto song to be redeemed and that is for someone to do Styx Shreds using a performance of that song... not THAT could be funny.
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

I think we forget something here.
Ok im with you that there allot of so called R&R songs/albums that are really crap.
But don't forget, we are not the people that buy the albums. 90% other peeps does it. And there have to be some bread on the board to life from. Some artist can't make always albums that they like / or we in all the way. There have to be something pop(ulair) about it to sell it.
Its with major labels almost the time to make pop albums that sell.
Don't juge bands on that. G&R for example could be better with them so called "glam rock to the max" if you know base about them. But Axl drift of with his stupid idea's.
Muse also, 2 first albums where great the rest... well you get it. And is with allot of bands. And i can go on and go on for hours. The moment they hit, they make music what the label want.
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

Walk of life - Dire straits. I'm a VERY broadminded person when it comes to music, but that song is the wimpiest pile of kaka ever caught on tape.

HORRID!
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Maniac

- Popularity? No reason not cracking well-deserved jokes at it, since
- there are moral constraints (what? I am where?? Oh. Sorry)
- there are deliberate suggestions of composers/artists

I mean, what dou you think of Moody Blues?

edit: being not R&R....
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Nut

How about "Easy Lover" by Phill Collins and that other dude.
Old 12th November 2008
Lives for gear

Pour some Sugar on Me.
Old 12th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
You have a compelling argument.I didn't think of it that way.I did bolster that thing of a song without even knowing it.All right then.....WBTC is and forever the be all end all 9/11 of rock n roll's most popular piece of dog poop.
ROFL ... you are a gentleman and a scholar, pleased to meet ya.

Cool avatar BTW thumbsup - what model is that?
Old 12th November 2008
Lives for gear

Sometimes when we touch...
The honesty's too much
...and I have to close my eyes, aaaaand hide...

*Vurp*
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestmark View Post
Early 80's band who's name escapes me- I'll Stop The World And Melt With You.

Mark Miller
Haven't read the whole thread, but in case no one told you, that song was done by Modern English.
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
"We wrote this ****ty...rock n roll"

It's a tie. That song, which I absolutly hate, and

"Someone left a cake out in the rain."

Mac-aufull Park.
Maynard Fergusen does (er, did) a kick-ass version of MacArthur's Park. Check out the "Live at Jimmy's" LP, it was a special live session for CBS execs.
Old 16th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
None of the above out-**** this song:

"We Built This City" -- Jefferson Starship

Absolute crap from beginning to end.

Cheers,
--
Don
Unbelievable to out-**** it. But wait.... only the video out-****s the song even more! heh
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

cheap trick - i want you to want me

disgusting.
Old 17th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
Meatloaf - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light."
How dare you !
Old 17th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Speijk View Post
Everything Phil Collins did after "In the Air Tonight"
(That was cool though).
Van Speijk
Everything that C**t has ever done full-stop. Yes, collins gets my vote.
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

B-52's
Love shack
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot View Post
Pour some Sugar on Me.
dont diss the lep
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

I'm now totally obsessed with "W.B.T.C".I don't know if this was already covered in this thread somewhere but check this out....

We Built This City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It took 4 people to write this.

And there's Bill Bottrell.
Old 19th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

I hate it, I can't believe anyone ever liked it. It is the cheesiest song of all time and it makes me want to kill.

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
too many to list. :-) One of them at the top is Veritgo by U2. Just awful. U2 was never on my list of favorite bands.

Achy Breaky Heart would DEFINITELY win for one of the worst country song.

It almost seems like if it was a hit, it's got a 50% chance of being one of the worst. Go figure.

"The most popular is not usually the highest quality."
Old 14th December 2008
Gear Addict

Such a long thread without the famous hater statement.
I'm missing the comments like "you are all haters and just jealous" heh heh heh
Old 14th December 2008
Lives for gear

With Christmas approaching it's over here a starting sign for radio stations to massively bombard listeners with Wham's Last Christmas. One of the terrible aspects of the song is the drum computer that somewhere in the songs seems to get a will on its own.
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
I'm now totally obsessed with "W.B.T.C".I don't know if this was already covered in this thread somewhere but check this out....

We Built This City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It took 4 people to write this.

And there's Bill Bottrell.
"We Built This City" is a song written by Bernie Taupin, Martin Page, Dennis Lambert, and Peter Wolf, and originally recorded by the group Starship and released as its debut single on November 10, 1985. The lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin, best known for his longtime collaboration with Elton John. The song features Mickey Thomas and Grace Slick on lead vocals, and the single version reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on November 16, 1985, and also number twelve in the United Kingdom. The song was engineered by Grammy-winning producer Bill Bottrell and arranged by Bottrell and Jasun Martz.
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Steve Vai: Every Note, Zappa years included
Let 'em Rip
lol amazing
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Not sure if this has been covered or not but any list of bad RnR would never be complete without Gene Simmons. Guy can't sing, apparently plays a little bass (only a little if I've heard correctly) and is responsible for the turd song: I Love It Loud.

Any number of Kiss tunes could be used in its place, of course, but that piece of crap sums up the worst of 70's rock in every way. That they made a lot of money means nothing. The audience had no better taste than the band, and anyway everyone WAS on drugs back then.
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

I hate it, I can't believe anyone ever liked it. It is the cheesiest song of all time and it makes me want to kill.

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
LOL Same here...I have a few other ones...

"We Built This City"...honestly I just think it's so [email protected]#$ing cheesy and pathetic and abrasive and the lyrics are so [email protected]#$ing stupid that every time I hear it I want to punch someone LOL...

"Dont Stop Believing"...again, just so cheezy and pathetic and whiny...

I know I'll probably get a ton of hate for this, but I can't [email protected]#$ing STAND Ozzy's voice...some of the music's great, but I honestly for the life of me can't figure out why he is so [email protected]#$ing popular and everyone loves him so much, to me it's just god-awful nasally whining...

There's a bunch more, but I should probably stop now LOL
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

too much to choose from. this thread is ridiculous. But I still love We Built This City. I think it's a timeless great tune. It brings back great memories of my friends and I in junior high dancing and playing and joking around. We all loved the tune and I still like the melody and harmonies and synths and breakdowns. I'm not surprised at all that it was a humongous hit back in the 80s. I like the lyrics too.

"Who rides the wrecking ball into rock guitars?"

Last edited by Nystagmus; 10th October 2015 at 04:46 AM..
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Whenever I hear an Asian sing "dont stop believing" at karaoke, I really miss my grandad.

Doh stahp...bereaving!
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
Leppard sux because that's all they play on the local asshat corporate, Clear Channel, soccer dad, shyt 'rock' stations.

Also suckworhty for the same reason: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica.

Portland thinks it's cool, but if you listened to the local raydio, you would think that Portland was a tone-deaf puddletown.
This kind of ignirant nonsense drives me crazy. I suppose you are still touring and making a living the way they are.

All music is defined by sales period. It is the definitive measurement. If it Sucks nobody buys it or pays to hear it.

That little Dot at the end of my previous sentence is the most definitive, it's "period"!

I happen to see them a few months back to a sold out 15k arena, the majority of the songs they played were post 1984!

I do agree that their earlier work I enjoy more, but that earlier work did not SELL like the older stuff did!

Last edited by barryjohns; 10th October 2015 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: D
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Maniac

"Bang the Drum All Day" by Todd Rundgren. I had to learn it for a wedding and I absolutely hate that song, and I LOVE Todd Rundgren; he IS a genius...... but, why Todd, WHY????

"Welcome to the Jungle" - Had to learn that for a one off dance band gig, hate his voice, hate the sound effects, hate the song. I dislike his voice so much, I never realized how good "Sweet Child of Mine" is until I heard Sheryl Crow sing it.

bilco
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear
"Juke Box Hero" by Foreigner is near the bottom for me... It's just embarrassing even amongst the other cringe worthy Foreigner songs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search