The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst (Popular) Song in Rock & Roll Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

I hate it, I can't believe anyone ever liked it. It is the cheesiest song of all time and it makes me want to kill.

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
As one who put in his time singing and playing in club dates (weddings, bar mitzvahs etc) I couldn't agree more. I'd also like to put in a vote for "Hot, Hot Hot"stike and, please no flames, "Brown Eyed Girl." Ack!

Dan Carter
Old 8th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Its a tie:

Quiet Riots-"Cum Feel the Noize"

and

anything by Poison.
Just so you know, Cum on Feel the Noize was by Slade (lots of people have only heard the cover by Quiet Riot though), the Slade version is vastly superior, but that wont make you like it. It's also like The La's - There she goes, for some bizarre reason people think that Sixpence None the Richer wrote this song, the original is incredible, the cover while being almost identical somehow manages to be saccharine ****e.

Anyhow my vote goes for any "live" version of a song, and most covers.

Wonderful Tonight,
Layla (the original is so incredible, the live version makes me want to claw my ears off),
Hotel California,
With a little help from my friends (as covered by Joe Cocker, in fact anything by Joe Cocker)
etc.

I wonder how many people in America have actually heard the originals at this point.
Old 9th December 2007
Gear Addict

Thank you guys for making me laugh 'til I cry!

Reading this thread has reminded me that **** is absolutely as entertaining and memorable as the GREAT...some of your rants made me laugh 'til I cried!

Thank you all!
Old 9th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post
madness (baggy trousers might be what I'm listening to when I die)
Yes Madness ...freaking "Our House" back in the 80's you couldn't get away from this disgorged matter because it was played so continuously.

But a tune in that same era that I didn't like then but have come to appreciate now is Talking Heads "Once in A Lifetime".
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Wow.

I feel nauseous after reading this thread.

But no one yet has mentioned the three letter word that will send Satan himself lurching desperately toward the toilet in vomitous despair: EMO.
Old 9th December 2007
Here for the gear

oh, this is easy...

"Muskrat Love" by the Captain & Tennille.

The FAKE synthesizer muskrat love swoons are the most lame sonic noises ever amplified.

-eric
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Not Rock & Roll, per se, but I still have to think it's been mentioned already: in the car yesterday, the radio came up with "People are People" by Depeche Mode. My wife made me listen to it. .. and it pretty much made me dry-heave.

The 80s were dark times. .. dark times.

-dave
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Anything by Nickelback. Worst band of all times...even worse than Creed.

Worst singing, gtr tones, overall sound etc...It's like the Billy Ray Cyrus of "rock".

Plus the kick on their songs sounds like a plastic fork hitting mashed potatoes.
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Everything by Kiss. I'd rather punch myself in the nutsack repeatedly than listen to their poor excuse for music.
Old 9th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
So I'm next door at the studio today, and there it is. The worst song EVER in rock history, on VH1.

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

I hate it, I can't believe anyone ever liked it. It is the cheesiest song of all time and it makes me want to kill.

What song just makes you wonder why in the hell anybody liked it? It comes on the radio and you're ready to jump out a window...while a ton of people seem to love it?

War
War,

I like that song! That's it -- I'm shopping somewhere else.

Actually, "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner is the all-time worst, IMHO.
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

"Lips of an Angel"

or something to that effect. I'm actually glad I don't know who does it.

They, along with any of the other mad-at-their-dad remedial rockers that have already been mentioned force me into talk radio.
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Everything by Kiss. I'd rather punch myself in the nutsack repeatedly than listen to their poor excuse for music.
I feel much the same way.

I'll contribute Wang Chung, and these guys: YouTube - Coolest EuroVision band ever
Old 10th December 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist377 View Post
"Yesterday" by the Beatles
Yesterday was originally called "Pickled Eggs" in development. McCartney only changed it when the other Beatles nagged him to "finish that bloody song!"

...it might have turned out better if he'd kept the original theme! heh
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

The absolute worst song that drives me nuts is...."Happy, Shiny, People" by R.E.M.... what in the hell were they thinking?? ....play that in the prisons and they will all hang themselves!stike
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Addict

One more co-sign for Lenny Kravitz' American Woman.

Also,

Beautiful Stranger by Madonna

And especially

dfegad

We Like To Party

I'm not sure who made it, but those of you who live in or around LA will recognize it as the music playing when the old man is dancing in front of the bus in the Magic Mountain television commercial. I believe it's taken over for Cotton Eyed Joe and Who Let The Dogs Out as the main Bar Mitzvah DJ go to jam. I had to play this song on a cover band gig last night and it's been slowly eating my brain.
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

Don't know if it's been posted yet or not, but...

Top 10 worst hit singles of 2007

... is a pretty funny read.

Re: Fergie's "Glamorous":

Quote:
Her greatest evidence, in fact, that she hasn't been changed by her wealth is that "[she] still go[es] to Taco Bell / drive-thru, raw as hell." That's not raw at all. It doesn't mean you're not a horrible, selfish, money-grubbing, manufactured bitch. It only means that you still have horrible Taco Bell farts.
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

your kiss is on my lisp - hall & oats

::shudders::
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

I hate these threads but I must add....

"Piano Man" by Billy Joel.

<sigh>
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

This one's pretty good, too...

The 9 Most Unnecessary Greatest Hits Albums of All Time | Cracked.com

Quote:
Color Me Badd actually had 5 top 20 singles between 1991 and 1992. Hell, a couple of them even made it to #1. So why shouldn't they have released a greatest hits album? For starters, try naming one of those top 20 singles that isn't "I Wanna Sex You Up." If you were able to pull that off, then you already know why The Best of Color Me Badd ought not exist, because chances are you still own the one ****ing album that all of those hits are on. Those of you looking to indulge in the "best" of some of Color Me Badd's lesser known tunes, "Sexual Capacity," for example, could still skip this collection and just buy their other three albums for a combined total of $1.29. We sh** you not...
Yes, you actually can order those three albums for that price.
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Addict

Anything by Nickelback or Creed.
Jefferson Starship was pretty abyssimal.
Most if not all Lenny Kravitz.
Does Cher qualify as rock?
Rod Stewart got pretty nauseating after Jeff Beck/Truth and Faces.
Another vote for anything by Kiss.
ELO.
Wings with Paul McCartney.
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm reading this at the office, so I've had to run the restroom twice now to bust out laughing. Seriously, this is some funny stuff...

My votes:

+1 Def Leppard, Hysteria. Hated it then, still hate it now. Truly the pinnacle of all that was wrong with the Mullet-and-Mini-truck-with-lift-kit lifestyle. Pyromania was a great record, this one was just craptastical.

Whisper-yell vocals. Part whisper, part yell, 100% suck. Jesus Jones "Right here, Right now" is the first song that I can think of that makes use of this technique, but the Nickelback singer really mastered the style. Building on the success of the Nickelback dude, came the single worst whisper-yell song of ALL TIME -- "Lips of an angel." Makes me want to drive my car into the side of the Super Walmart at a high rate of speed.

Over-emoting male R+B vocals. I'm not sure what the technical name is for dragging out the note and going up and down with it, but it drives me up the wall.

Flavor of the month hipster indie-rock. I'm not going to mention any names, but it practically never lives up to the hype.
Old 11th December 2007
pearl jam - jeremy. sucked the first time they played it, & 80 trillion plays later it still sucks.

Quote:
also anything by LOVERBOY, which brings me to the conclusion that if your band names with "boy," you probably suck.
i've been on a bit of a loverboy bender lately. not as a fan of their music, but because i am in awe @ the balls it must take to put out music like that & to wear those red leather pants with such conviction. how much cocaine does that take?
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Nut

heh I have a knack for re-writing lyrics to all the bad songs of the 70-80's and this is one of my favs to hack up. We spend a good deal of time fishing at the coast and while we are out on the boat I belt out the tawdry re-makes. LOL
"sometimes when we touch, the smell is just..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Since we've extended this into pop, I'm gonna have to say:

"Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill.

This has GOT to be the most horrible, treacly, gawdawful pos ever recorded -- AND I actually went out for a while with a girl who GAVE ME A COPY FOR VALENTINE'S DAY.

The pain -- though decades old -- is still as raw as this morning's razor burn.

Sometimes when we touch
the honesty's too much...

It gives me icy shudders just thinking about it.

Old 12th December 2007
Here for the gear

I've heard it said that The Knack's My Sharona is generally recognized as the worst #1 single of all time.

I have to admit I kind of like the song, though. I like a lot of bad stuff.

One song I can't stand is Pearl Jam's remake of the Wayne Cochran song Last Kiss. It's not just that it's oversentimental phony tear-jerker tripe; the lyrics are just written in such a banal and prosaic way. I guess Vedder's singing isn't too bad, given the weak material.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnickster View Post
I've heard it said that The Knack's My Sharona is generally recognized as the worst #1 single of all time.

I have to admit I kind of like the song, though. I like a lot of bad stuff.
we have a club in acapulco where the knack played back in the day. when we picked them up at the airport the 1st thing i was told was 'glad to meet you, i'm (forget his name) and this is sharona.' no ****e. sharona exists. true story.

i liked the tune too BTW.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

stupid thread stike
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Nut

American Pie - Don Mclean
Space Cowboy - Steve Miller Band
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Anything by Guns and Roses
Anything by the White Stripes
Creed
If Gwen Stefane decides to "encroach" on rock, then ANYTHING she's gonna do!
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixShmix View Post
American Pie - Don Mclean
Space Cowboy - Steve Miller Band

Man I haven't thought about "Space Cowboy" since the last time I heard it and was reminded how awful it was and still is....
Old 13th December 2007
Gear Guru

Gypsies Tramps and Thieves

Anything by Barry Manilow

Tip Toe Through the Tulips

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search