The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Grohl on the Grammys just said... Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd March 2012
I was watching a documentary on Prince the other day and it was commented that he was on the covers of guitar, drumming, keyboards, and bass player magazines. It's not quite the same to be on the cover of Waveform Editor Magazine, IMO.
Old 2nd March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I also record, produce and mix music... which is how I get to talk about the stuff I talk about from an educated perspective... I don't sell gear, but I write a lot about it... and I get to write about it after I've used it in application.

If you have a problem with what DG said on the show, that would be your problem. I don't have a problem with it in the slightest... in fact, I thought he said something that has needed to be said for years.

Obviously - your mileage varied... its what makes the world go round.

Peace
Oh really Fletch...You think that someone that uses BD an AT relentlessly for over a decade, has success with the practice, then turns around and preaches to everyone that they don;t need studios with Protools to make records...is saying something that needed to be said for a while?...what an ass kiss you are...I really am surprised Fletch...kissin up to the kids that have trust fund money...well I should have guessed...whatever...have you not noticed that this story has been going on since 1989...the home studio myth as it were...that all you need "is some attitude and ambition...oh and a few pieces of gear from Mercenary Audio...and you can make records just like Nirvana!"

what a farce..and again ****ting on the guys that helped you along the way, is not cool. Period Fletch. if you can't see anything detrimental in this kind of calculated tirade in front of millions, then you definitely have a reality problem.

Anyone can play the "oh why so uptight...it's all good...no need to get upset...the world won't end" guy.....easiest thing in the world Fletch. How about you stick your neck out once and while. You ever do that Fletch? Oh right you'd have to care about something first...right sorry I forgot...the state of our industry isn't important enough...we need another arsehole saying crap like that..like we need a shotgun to our balls Fletch. Don't give me your BS man..someone like you could actually help the situation once and a while you know..but I guess you think Dave is gonna read this and say to himself..."hey...I should work with that Fletch guy...he seems so cool and zen about it all..."

not a chance in a million years pal.

...mileage will vary ::face palm:: ...that's the same as saying "well I tried my best"...what did Sean Connery say about the prom queen again?
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Grohl spent all that time keeping computers out of the equation for "Wasting Light" and then the music got hypercompressed to hell and back. Imagine how much better the album would have sounded at K-14!! Or K-12 for that matte. See Bob Katz' mastering book if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Some reduction in treble would've been nice too.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

The fact that they won the best "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance" Grammy is a total joke on everything about the academy. Then Grohl coming out and say they "feel bad for the Dream Theater guy" is a total disrespect for another BAND up for nomination. Mega and Mastodon are also actual bands with real musicians that work on their craft and know how to play their instruments.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would hardly call it a garage studio have you seen it?
anyway foofighters are pathetically dated now. It's like when Jethro Tull won
a grammy in 1988 or whatever 15 years after they were good
I think the main issue then was the category they won in...

Quote:
One thing is for sure Dave could play that crash cymbal like a ride cymbal better than anyone except Alex Van Halen
The difference is that Alex actually plays ride cymbals...he just hits them really hard with thick marching sticks, so they sound like crashes.

Quote:
His music is dated and OLD but yet he is still popular? it's bizarre and people who think he is "truly" relevant are clueless
It may sound dated to you (and even to him), but the fact that people are buying his music makes him relevant.

Quote:
they are so out of touch. hence why the award is basically pointless
I don't disagree about the award...and the awards in general...being pointless, but again, the fact that their music is resonating with so many people means they're not so out of touch.

Quote:
No matter what zeppelin did or didn't do. whether they suck or they are great, at the end of the day they still had the greatest drummer of all time their band and that's something no other band can claim.
Well, sure, other bands can claim that. Ringo Starr has claimed that about the Beatles. Rush, Tool, AC/DC, Dream Theater (with either drummer)...pretty much any band can claim that, as can their fans.

Quote:
Also I have also had the pleasure of meeting Tony Iommi, Eddie Van Halen, Kerry King from Slayer, I met Cliff from Metallica, Scott from Anthrax, Pete from UFO and Lemmy from moterhead... and I even met Paula Cole and Tracy Bonham. so I think I'm qualified to at least know who deserves the rock award!
Well, if you'd have stated that earlier this thread could have been a lot shorter.

Quote:
Van Halen should have won or Chickenfoot
I don't disagree on Chickenfoot...but Van Halen's album came out too late to qualify. Maybe next year...

Quote:
I'm happy that they are happy making records, but perhaps Dave could give all of us in the studio business a bit of a break...haven't we had to deal with enough crap for the last ten years...is it OK if we are aloud to do "our" thing as well...does nodoby else see this as a bit standing on the backs of studio owner's just to sell more records...
I think you're taking this way more personally than anyone else, and I don't think that that's the point Dave was trying to make...it's much more about how the record is made than where. And if some up-and-coming band wants to do what he did and record to tape...these days they're much more likely to have to go to a studio to record to tape than they are to have to record to Pro Tools. It's much easier for the "average" musician to put together a computer-based home recording studio than it is a tape-based one.

And besides...he owns or has an interest in several large commercial facilities, does he not?

Quote:
The thing is, he recorded his first few records 100% on analog so why
start a marketing campaign?
Perhaps because the way records are made has changed dramatically in the time that has gone by since he made those first few records?

Quote:
what fun would it be if everyone agreed with each other?
It wouldn't be much fun. But there's a difference between disagreeing with other people and trying to prove that everyone is wrong on something so subjective. I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan by any means, and I'm even less of a Nirvana fan...I didn't find them to be particularly original, perhaps because I grew up listening to so much of the same music that they did, and while I'm part of the "Generation X" demographic that Cobain was supposed to be the spokesperson for, I didn't feel like he spoke for me...but I am a fan of Grohl as a drummer, and I think that his stuff with QOTSA and Them Crooked Vultures is some of the best drumming of the past decade. Having said that I don't feel a particular need to show anyone the error of their ways and convince them that the Foo Fighters and Nirvana aren't that great, nor do I feel the need to convince anyone that he's a good drummer. Because like you said, it wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed with each other.

Quote:
all other bands still playing his age are considered dated, Dave however has written the same song over and over and over and over and over and over and over for 17 years.
AC/DC has been doing the same thing for longer, and it's working for them, isn't it?

Quote:
dave is an average drummer, he is sloppy and has no feel

regardless, should Steven tyler win a grammy because he is also a great drummer?

dave plays drums...
(just for the sake of non argument) lets assume you are correct he is a good drummer what exactly is your point? what does that have to do with anything in the context of this thread?

anyway there are millions of drummers better than him, he is below average
Which is it? Is he an "average" drummer, as you said at the beginning of your post, or "below average" as you said at the end of that same post?

Quote:
that 11 year old drummer is better than Dave. Guaranteed Dave couln't play yyz now nevermind when he was 11
Of course he couldn't play "Nevermind" when he was 11...it was recorded when he was much older.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Having said that, I'm sure he could play YYZ if he wanted to. That's one of those tunes that many drummers learn "growing up"...but how many of them can come up with a part like that on their own?

Quote:
I'm saying it was a Dooshy move to thumb his nose at guys that have helped him make huge sounding pop records in the past.
How did thumb his nose at those guys...by hiring them to produce and engineer this album?

Quote:
when someone has an opposite point of view than you it is not trolling or hijacking like some would like to believe, it's called disagreement

looking back on the all posts here, right or wrong...... it stayed right on topic.
Really? Wasn't the topic of the thread how the album was recorded? Not whether they deserved a Grammy, whether they're dated, whether Dave or some eleven-year-old kid is a good drummer, the politics of the Grammies, or how relevant U2 and Altar Bridge are?

Quote:
You seem to be missing the point that when a big name says/does/encourages a certain type of behaviour....it can be far reaching...ie Radio Head giving away their music for free...that single handily triggered the industry into free fall...as soon as Radio Head "enabled" folks to freely rob the record industry...all hell broke loose...a ton of people lost their jobs...
Radiohead hardly triggered anything. The industry was in a freefall for a decade before they offered up "In Rainbows" the way they did (which was not, by the way, for free...it was to pay as you saw fit, which many people apparently did), and it didn't cause all hell to break loose. How many bands followed suit?

If anything, they disabled folks from robbing the recording industry. By letting people choose what they wanted to pay for their album they effectively took away their ability to steal it. People had been freely stealing music for years before Radiohead did what they did, and they've continued to do it since.

Quote:
Radio Head really hurt the situation by making it cool to do...and yeah I said that...because if the best band in the world was giving away music, how could any other band charge for it?
The only reason they were able to do that was because they were the biggest band in the world. Like I said, it didn't become a trend...even they didn't do it with their next album.

And what happened when they officially released "In Rainbows"? Did nobody buy it because they'd given people the ability to download it for free? No, it debuted at #1 in the US and the UK, and went on to sell more than three million copies.

Quote:
If his garage studio is what I saw on TV then I think it's kind of lame to act as if it isn't a pro set up.
Did they ever claim it wasn't a pro setup?

Quote:
The difference Fletch...is NOT that they recorded in the garage...it's that DG is using the "garage" to **** on all the studios he ever worked at...it wasn;t necessary to go that far...he didn't have to suggest...strongly...that it's that studios with ProTools that are ruining music....esp when those same studios saved his ass for about 6 records...and those same engineers made highly effective recordings/mixes with protools.
He didn't suggest that studios with Pro Tools are ruining music. Again, he owns several of those studios. He didn't **** on anything. It was more about how the album was recorded than where.

Quote:
You think that someone that uses BD an AT relentlessly for over a decade, has success with the practice, then turns around and preaches to everyone that they don;t need studios with Protools to make records...is saying something that needed to be said for a while?
Are you saying that studios with Pro Tools are necessary to make records?
Old 2nd March 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
Oh really Fletch...You think that someone that uses BD an AT relentlessly for over a decade, has success with the practice, then turns around and preaches to everyone that they don;t need studios with Protools to make records...is saying something that needed to be said for a while?.
While I don't know what "BD an AT" is - but I do humbly submit that if you can play, you don't need "a studio with Pro-Tools to make records". I will use Robert Shaw's favorite band as an example - Led Zeppelin used tape [at times only 8 tracks of tape] - and forayed to "non studio environments" to make records... the famous story about recording the drums in a castle [not that big on recording trivia... I don't remember the name of the song or the castle but I think you get the picture].

Zeppelin had success when they recorded in proper studios - they had success when they were recording in non-traditional studio environments. The band could play, and Page is one hell of an excellent record producer -- the scenario worked.

There are hundreds of similar examples - analog based scenarios that occurred over the decades. Take the first Boston album for example. That album was recorded in Tom Scholz's basement on a Scully 12 track recorder... about as primitive as you could get at the time... but I think the results speak for themselves.

Quote:
..what an ass kiss you are...I really am surprised Fletch...kissin up to the kids that have trust fund money...well I should have guessed...whatever...have you not noticed that this story has been going on since 1989...the home studio myth as it were...that all you need "is some attitude and ambition...oh and a few pieces of gear from Mercenary Audio...and you can make records just like Nirvana!"
I'm afraid we have two things going on here... the first is an unwarranted ad hominem spew that I'll let go as I'm sure its a product of your frustration with the piss-poor state of the recording industry. While I no longer work at Mercenary Audio I did for a bit over 20 years so the connection remains - however irrelevant it may be. I will grant you that for a good portion of my last 10 years there I did start to get the feeling that there were times the company was selling the audio equivalent of "nuclear weapons to 3rd world nations"... but it is what it is... same thing has happened to printing, photography, movies, etc... it was inevitable that audio would also find itself a victim of "advances in technology"

Quote:
what a farce..and again ****ting on the guys that helped you along the way, is not cool. Period Fletch. if you can't see anything detrimental in this kind of calculated tirade in front of millions, then you definitely have a reality problem.
When I saw his little speech "live" [on television] the "garage" line did indeed go up my ass... but the "put away the computers and play music from the heart" line more than made up for it.

I hate computers being anywhere near music. "Quantized" - "grid accurate" - "auto-tuned" - aerosol garbage offends me musically. I don't know if you noticed the Michael Wagener quote that has been in my signature file since 2004 -- I find all the "computer fixes" abominable. I get a knot in my stomach every time I read a post that talks about "editing" like its an official step in the recording process. Yeah, there were lots of tape cuts "back in the day" - but not on the wholesale level they've been at for the last 20 something years... its not as if there are no decent players anymore... it seems more like "greatness" is being replaced by "perfection" - which I again find unfortunate... but I sure as hell didn't start the process... and I don't buy the records where its employed [at least where its employed on an obvious level... I'm sure there are guys out there who use the tools for good instead of evil - and I'm sure I've purchased a record or two where the techniques have been employed in an actual musical manner].

Quote:
Anyone can play the "oh why so uptight...it's all good...no need to get upset...the world won't end" guy.....easiest thing in the world Fletch. How about you stick your neck out once and while. You ever do that Fletch? Oh right you'd have to care about something first...right sorry I forgot...the state of our industry isn't important enough...we need another arsehole saying crap like that..like we need a shotgun to our balls Fletch. Don't give me your BS man..someone like you could actually help the situation once and a while you know..but I guess you think Dave is gonna read this and say to himself..."hey...I should work with that Fletch guy...he seems so cool and zen about it all..."

not a chance in a million years pal.

...mileage will vary ::face palm:: ...that's the same as saying "well I tried my best"...what did Sean Connery say about the prom queen again?
You may want to investigate the wonderful properties of Diazepam - it seems like you're well on your way to a stroke about this.

I'm not applying for a gig with the Foo Fighters over Gearslutz... it may seem like that to you, but c'mon - a little reality goes a long way.

Who has really caused the problem in our industry? Think about it. I didn't start a recording skool - I didn't promise a bunch of kids that they'd be making Michael Jackson records when they graduated. I didn't show those same kids how to go down to Banjo Mart and drop $10-15k of "Grandma"s savings on a Pro-Tools "LE" rig -- I didn't tell those kids that a plug-in bundle will be every bit as good as $50k worth of hardware. I didn't tell those kids that they needed to "treat their room" with $2k worth of foam that could be delivered by UPS. I didn't tell them they'd get "professional results" with a $99- condenser mic plugged into a 003 -and the list goes on - and on - and on - and on - and on].

I said they needed to get a gig in a proper studio, be trained over several years in the art and science of recording by actual professionals. I said that they should learn the craft - and critical listening skills. I said they should know music theory, electronic theory, and a good bit about acoustics... I said that digital audio technology was around for a good 20 years before I heard a system I thought was acceptable for professional use... [and on - and on - and on - and on]... but those words, like my previous words in this thread didn't seem to make a piss hole in the snow worth of difference to the greater problem... though I'm now getting slammed on an ad hominem level for agreeing with a guy that said "music should come from the heart".

Hell of a world... ain't it?
Old 2nd March 2012

yes well...thinking back...you do encourage kids to "play" music...true.

...and it's not like I'm going to lose any business because of what was said...but I do feel that it will affect some definitely, and the general perception. of our business..which has been absolutely desecrated for over a decade...for no good reason I might add...lots of good people got f-ed over because of the perception of our industry...and I'm sure that you know that Fletch.

We could stand a little supporting each other once and a while you know.

DG should practice what he preaches...and should also note that there are lots of kids that were wishing that he would "play" more and Beat Detect (BD) and Auto Tune (AT) less over the last decade...but they didn't have the advantage of the Grammy soap box....so no one heard there voices....but the fact remains....that you , Fletch, and Dave Grohl didn't even notice...that the kids are alright....in fact they are rocking harder and better than us old farts ever imagined they would...and guess what? they were doin it waaaaay before Dave Grohl decided to turn his own guilt about it into a marketing opportunity.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Uncle.. I think that Cracked software and illegal downloads of music are what killed the music industry. Throw in the fact of grid editing and autotune to compensate for bad musicianship and you have a recipe for disaster. ..

Dave's comments.... meh..

Get the point..?

Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will use Robert Shaw's favorite band as an example
But my favorite bands are Black Number Nine and Cosmic Rescue Plan.......
who recently joined forces by the way. So I hear through the grapevine
Old 2nd March 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
But my favorite bands are Black Number Nine and Cosmic Rescue Plan.......
who recently joined forces by the way. So I hear through the grapevine
That would be awesome!!

Chris did an amazing job on the CRP release I have [that still gets played in the car]... and as you probably know - BNN was done amazingly "old school"... as in 3 mics on drums, zero digital reverb anywhere [all of the reverbs and delays were done acoustically - like with tape machines playing back through a speaker in a warehouse]... there was a mono plate and a stereo plate and two Cooper Time Cubes used in mixing... no mix automation - but a ****LOAD of tape cutting happened after every mix [there is one song that might be like 7 or 8 different mixes cut together].

On BNN's first album, the only thing that met the digital domain at all was "Freighttrain of Pain" which was a drum loop through an Eventide H-3000 running through the "talking bums" program [they were late, and I was bored].
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
That would be awesome!!

Chris did an amazing job on the CRP release I have [that still gets played in the car]...
it is a masterpiece

Quote:
and as you probably know - BNN was done amazingly "old school"... as in 3 mics on drums, zero digital reverb anywhere [all of the reverbs and delays were done acoustically - like with tape machines playing back through a speaker in a warehouse]... there was a mono plate and a stereo plate and two Cooper Time Cubes used in mixing... no mix automation - but a ****LOAD of tape cutting happened after every mix [there is one song that might be like 7 or 8 different mixes cut together].
great CD charlie and Tommy a legendary. you did a great job

Quote:
On BNN's first album, the only thing that met the digital domain at all was "Freighttrain of Pain" which was a drum loop through an Eventide H-3000 running through the "talking bums" program [they were late, and I was bored].
wow I'll have to check that out.

Yeah but I heard Tommy is drumming with CRP. I hear the tunes rock I have not heard them but I guess it's pretty much like the first CD. I guess they are releasing something in the near future
Old 2nd March 2012
member no 666

Tommy would be great for CRP... I hope that project works out.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
... no mix automation - but a ****LOAD of tape cutting happened after every mix [there is one song that might be like 7 or 8 different mixes cut together].
What's this heresy? Chopped up tape? Oh sure, next you'll be talking about white grease pencils, edit tape, headcleaner and de-guassing techniques.

What is this, the last century?
Old 3rd March 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
What is this, the last century?
Actually - it was indeed last century... good times to say the least. The best part about the BNN record was that we went through 43 cases of Budweiser and 17 quarts of Jim Beam during the production of the record... and if you listen to the tracks, you can tell where every drop of that alcohol went!! While the record feels amazing - a "grid" would hemorrhage trying to hold it together!!

Peace
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

oh yeah i have like 150k worth of gear in my garage.... huh yeah I used neve preamps as my doorstop
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captshiznit View Post
oh yeah i have like 150k worth of gear in my garage.... huh yeah I used neve preamps as my doorstop
So where's your Grammy?

We are recording with 24 track tape in Nashville today,like it never happens DG.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 4th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Uncle.. I think that Cracked software and illegal downloads of music are what killed the music industry. Throw in the fact of grid editing and autotune to compensate for bad musicianship and you have a recipe for disaster. ..

Dave's comments.... meh..

Get the point..?

meh? really?

just like fletch...acting all zen about it....that's what got s into trouble in the first place...acting like it wasn't such a big deal...

it is a big deal...that's why Dave did it
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

Foo Fighters mainman Dave Grohl made some waves -- mostly positive ones -- with his heartfelt acceptance speech at the Grammys this year after the Foos picked up the award for Best Rock Album.

A thirty-second acceptance speech not being enough for Grohl, the head Foo recently took to Facebook to expound upon and clarify his sentiments from the Grammys. His post is as follows:

"Oh, what a night we had last Sunday at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. The glitz! The Glamour! SEACREST! Where do I begin?? Chillin' with Lil' Wayne...meeting Cyndi Lauper's adorable mother...the complimentary blinking Coldplay bracelet.....much too much to recap. It's really is still a bit of a blur. But, if there's one thing that I remember VERY clearly, it was accepting the Grammy for Best Rock Performance...and then saying this:

"'To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of music is what's important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do... It's not about being perfect, it's not about sounding absolutely correct, it's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [your heart] and what goes on in here [your head].'

"Not the Gettysburg Address, but hey......I'm a drummer, remember?

"Well, me and my big mouth. Never has a 33 second acceptance rant evoked such caps-lock postboard rage as my lil' ode to analog recording has. OK....maybe Kanye has me on this one, but....Imma let you finish....just wanted to clarify something...

"I love music. I love ALL kinds of music. From Kyuss to Kraftwerk, Pinetop Perkins to Prodigy, Dead Kennedys to Deadmau5.....I love music. Electronic or acoustic, it doesn't matter to me. The simple act of creating music is a beautiful gift that ALL human beings are blessed with. And the diversity of one musician's personality to the next is what makes music so exciting and.....human.

"That's exactly what I was referring to. The "human element". That thing that happens when a song speeds up slightly, or a vocal goes a little sharp. That thing that makes people sound like PEOPLE. Somewhere along the line those things became 'bad' things, and with the great advances in digital recording technology over the years they became easily 'fixed'. The end result? I my humble opinion.....a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality. The one thing that makes music so exciting in the first place.

"And, unfortunately, some of these great advances have taken the focus off of the actual craft of performance. Look, I am not Yngwie Malmsteen. I am not John Bonham. Hell...I'm not even Josh Groban, for that matter. But I try really ****ing hard so that I don't have to rely on anything but my hands and my heart to play a song. I do the best that I possibly can within my limitations, and accept that it sounds like me. Because that's what I think is most important. It should be real, right? Everybody wants something real.

"I don't know how to do what Skrillex does (though I ****ing love it) but I do know that the reason he is so loved is because he sounds like Skrillex, and that's badass. We have a different process and a different set of tools, but the "craft" is equally as important, I'm sure. I mean.....if it were that easy, anyone could do it, right? (See what I did there?)

"So, don't give me two Crown Royals and then ask me to make a speech at your wedding, because I might just bust into the advantages of recording to 2 inch tape.

"Now, I think I have to go scream at some kids to get off my lawn.

"Stay frosty.
Davemau5"
Old 4th March 2012

...sure that's Dave trying minimize the negative fallout..why do you think there is negative fallout...

because he said some REALLY stupid things
Old 4th March 2012
If what's quoted above is all he said in that speech, then I don't see the slightest stupid thing about it.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
If what's quoted above is all he said in that speech, then I don't see the slightest stupid thing about it.
he sort of belittled the major studio, he also is full of ****e since he really didn't record in a garage like the common listener envisions. He recorded with better gear than 95% of the records out today The garage factor is moot, I mean he plays garage rock, he can get away with recording drums in there. The drums sound bad and that bad sound fits his genre. He sends a mixed message to his peers. He's a hypocrite. He records a record i na garge with 250,00 worth of gear. Yet his record sounds like he recorded in a garage with $5,000 worth of gear. Beside brainwashing a few mindless fans who will pay him royalties, what did he accomplish? Anyone who knows anythign about recording knows it was charade.
Old 4th March 2012
Well, again, if what is quoted above is what he actually said, and all he actually said, in his grammy speech, then he didn't actually say anything you are talking about. It doesn't mention gear at all, it's about getting the human element back into music, which is utterly correct.
Old 4th March 2012

That's NOT his speech..that's his backtracking on his speech...you know...the one in front of millions of people where he suggested that "kids should record in their garages"

When is it gonna be cool again to suggest that "kids" spend $1500 dollars a day and record in a place that is built for recording? How about someone show some balls and say that then?

Pandering to the home recording industry isn't helping...and Dave Grohl is so behind the times when it comes to what kids are actually doing...just in case Dave didn't remember, i'll refresh his memory and everyone esles...the folks buying his music are not generally under 30 years old...just saying'

The amount of time wasted while recording talking about gear is mind blowing...I seem to have to have full on knowledge about every dang U47 clone and the various colored preamps...and of course every piece of 500 series nonsense...and be willing to discuss it with the smartass Bass Player who has a Tg2 and nuendo in his basement...and of course thinks that he should be recording the record...every band has one of "those guys" these days...can we stop encouraging "those guys" to talk about every piece of gear that the studio does't have?..."my buddy has a Phoenix...Dave Grohl uses an API 1608....dude from Stun The Frumblebuck uses a MOTU... You don't have vocal rider? how can you mix vocals."...BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

What's wrong with some 87s, 414s ,57s and some 1073s ...is there something that can't be recorded with that ?...with some good comps and the plugs we have available these days with a good engineer driving the ship, that should be plenty...

Oh right...now we need a garage to make it "real"...Oh I see...well maybe Dave can get Kush Audio to design him a "Garagaphonic" plug.

Am I really the only one that sees the hippopotamus here??

Just to clarify...it's THE HOME RECORDING INDUSTRY that is ruining the process of keeping it "real" and filling kids heads with unimportant nonsense...exactly opposite to what DAVE said, but completely in line with what his sentiment was.

Dave may have had a couple too many pops and inadvertently slammed the "real" studio business...but he still did it.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman View Post
So where's your Grammy?

We are recording with 24 track tape in Nashville today,like it never happens DG.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Does it really matter?

Point still stands.

I'm sure some guys on this website could do exactly the same with all that equipment i've no doubt in my mind. We just don't all have that stuff lying around in our garages.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Well, again, if what is quoted above is what he actually said, and all he actually said, in his grammy speech, then he didn't actually say anything you are talking about. It doesn't mention gear at all, it's about getting the human element back into music, which is utterly correct.
why would he mention gear?, he would be exposed for the conman he is
he is deceptive saying the crap he spewed. It was not just the speech
it is his whole garage marketing campaign. I honestly wish Dave would just go
away, he is so annoying. every where you look he has to show his mug

Dave Grwol is like margarine, he's spreads himself so thin and he's just a cheap imitation
Old 4th March 2012
this place has been reduced to a microcosm of political discourse

traffic to poster ratio suggests that folks now stop by to see if the chimps are still flinging their feces, not to engage in any thread

no one really engages on this subject lately because a few chimps need to assert the right to drag their knuckles in public, ad nauseam

the best hearted here have been civil, attempting to talk the chimps off the ledge; god bless fletcher

most of us are shaking our heads in disbelief at the voracity it requires to rudely dominate any conversation, anywhere

after three shakes, it's called wanking
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I agree and liked what Dave said and felt it was a validation for us humans making music.
While I would like to think I could of produced it better, perhaps only slightly different, I concur the Grammy was well deserved.
Well Done Foo Fighters
Old 5th March 2012

Quote:
why would he mention gear?
He mentioned gear...

he mentioned the room, (some) microphones, a tape machine, a computer, and instruments...

Can't believe anyone still cares though...
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
but in reality they are lame
LOL!
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
why would he mention gear?, he would be exposed for the conman he is
he is deceptive saying the crap he spewed. It was not just the speech
it is his whole garage marketing campaign. I honestly wish Dave would just go
away, he is so annoying. every where you look he has to show his mug

Dave Grwol is like margarine, he's spreads himself so thin and he's just a cheap imitation
Roberk Snore's hatred-induced dyslexia kicking in again I see?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search