The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fleetwood mac "sound"
Old 9th May 2006
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Fleetwood mac "sound"

Hi There,

I have to do an assigment for school: Record fleetwood mac song - go your on way

Now i tried to do some research on the specific sound of fleedwood mac and how to record it....i had like no results

Maybe some of you have any ideas/tips/sites on how to record and how i get the sound ?

Greetz!

Last edited by codewoord; 9th May 2006 at 07:43 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
A27Hull's Avatar
 

Agree with the tape/acoustic drums of the above post, plus...

Over compressed Geddy Lee bass sound, twelve string acoustic guitar, close drum mics/sound, outboard reverbs...long trails...on the snare...toms...everything...?...

I did a (commercial music ensemble) special topics class @ MTSU, serving as one of the engineers. Two of the songs we did that semester were "Peg" and "Shape of My Heart," so, i can identify with the assignment.

Actually, the assignment is actually a worth while thing i think. Especially if you're locked in to today's way of recording. The masters did things the "old" way, which, IMO, will outlast all the trendy indie stuff going around. It's obviously making you think about it more than others might. IMO, it gets you to stretch your mind, and envision perhaps what is happening in the song, how it was recorded and produced, and basically learn more about analyzing recorded music as an engineer. It's like the things we hear today and ask "how did they get such an awesome sound." Not that the fleetwood stuff is horrible, they're just not my cup o teasa'. Now Rhiannon, thats a good tune...

Good luck,

Andrew Wayland
Old 9th May 2006
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

.


Recently, I've come to love Fleetwood Mac.

There is a Classic Albums DVD for "Rumors" and they pull up the actual multitrack mix of that song and Lindsey Buckingham goes though it part by part.

It's available on Netflix.
Old 9th May 2006
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitchell
.


Recently, I've come to love Fleetwood Mac.

There is a Classic Albums DVD for "Rumors" and they pull up the actual multitrack mix of that song and Lindsey Buckingham goes though it part by part.

It's available on Netflix.
This one?

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...d=21342617_1_0
Old 9th May 2006
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

.

I'm pretty sure that's the one. They also have a great concert DVD "Live from Boston" for the most recent tour and a making of the CD documentary which they did in a big house.

Anyway, all those Classic album DVD are great (especially the for Pink FLoyd 'Dark Side of the Moon)

They get all the band memebers, enginners, etc and go back through the original mixes, demonstrate parts..... to see someone like David Gilmour sit down and play some of the classic parts by himself is a sweet thing.

.
Old 9th May 2006
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Stixxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitchell
.

I'm pretty sure that's the one. They also have a great concert DVD "Live from Boston" for the most recent tour and a making of the CD documentary which they did in a big house.
How in depth is the documentary from a recording perspective?

thx
Old 9th May 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixxs
How in depth is the documentary from a recording perspective?

thx
Usually they don't go into mic set-ups etc, becasue it reallyw asn't that important back then.
They used good soundign gear to record well written songs, performed by talented players.

THAT'S How you get that sound.
Old 9th May 2006
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
They used good soundign gear to record well written songs, performed by talented players.

THAT'S How you get that sound.

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

From a recording perspective, the most interesting thing is getting to hear tracks soloed out and comments on sonic treatments and approaches.

It's really more about getting into what the bands were trying to accomplish. Watching the extras of Roger Waters discuss some of his thought processes on songwriting and his persectives on Dark Side of the Moon is far more interesting than someone telling me what preamp they used.... but that's me.

A "How to" DVD they are not..... however, someone with good ears can pick up on alot of unsaid things.
.
Old 9th May 2006
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixxs
How in depth is the documentary from a recording perspective?

thx

Fly on the wall type of thing. Nothing too specific but I found the whole business aspect very interesting. One can learn alot just watching how other people work.
Old 9th May 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by camitchell
A "How to" DVD they are not..... however, someone with good ears can pick up on alot of unsaid things.
.
For me they show how much thought and effort went into coming up w2ith the various parts and dideas. They didn't just bang out soem crap, and have an editor/mixer turn them into songs.

They really worked at creating the songs. I found it interetsing to hear how Lindsey Buckhingham came into the studio and litterlaly cut a chunk off of the song of "The Chain" (I think that wa sthe one), threw the tape away. Yes, Into the Garbage, and proceeded to cerate the song as it's know today.
He had though about it in Advance and had the whole new structure worked otu in his head before he walked in.
Old 9th May 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
Very dry, very bright, very separate sounding, pretty well arranged.
and VERY well sung and played.

the vocals are quite sizzly in an Aphex kind of way and mixed back in it.
the bass drum and bass guitar are loud.

and it's that signature Turner guitar Lindsay Buckingham sound.

LISTEN to it!
Old 9th May 2006
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
For me they show how much thought and effort went into coming up w2ith the various parts and dideas. They didn't just bang out soem crap, and have an editor/mixer turn them into songs.

They really worked at creating the songs. I found it interetsing to hear how Lindsey Buckhingham came into the studio and litterlaly cut a chunk off of the song of "The Chain" (I think that wa sthe one), threw the tape away. Yes, Into the Garbage, and proceeded to cerate the song as it's know today.
He had though about it in Advance and had the whole new structure worked otu in his head before he walked in.

Yeah, Lindsey may not come across as the most easiest person in the room to get along with, but at least he has a passion and a vision....... and in the end, those are the people you want to be in the room with.


On the 'Live from Boston' DVD he plays a jaw dropping version of "Say Goodbye".


I had a chance to play one of those Turner guitars a few weeks ago. Very nice.

.

Last edited by camitchell; 9th May 2006 at 06:06 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Stixxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitchell
Fly on the wall type of thing. Nothing too specific but I found the whole business aspect very interesting. One can learn alot just watching how other people work.
That's cool too...think I'll track down the Floyd DSOTM one also.

Hey just realized the location... watch out for those fires over there.
Old 25th October 2006
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Was the Aphex arund then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
Very dry, very bright, very separate sounding, pretty well arranged.
and VERY well sung and played.

the vocals are quite sizzly in an Aphex kind of way and mixed back in it.
the bass drum and bass guitar are loud.

and it's that signature Turner guitar Lindsay Buckingham sound.

LISTEN to it!
Old 25th October 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
and it's that signature Turner guitar Lindsay Buckingham sound.

LISTEN to it!
Not on the original Rumours recording of that song. The album was released in early '77 and Rick Turner didn't leave Alembic and start his own company until '78. I believe the model that Lindsey plays was first introduced in '79.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 25th October 2006
  #16
Gear Nut
 
studiojimi's Avatar
 

2 words.....

drum loops
Old 25th October 2006
  #17
Gear Nut
 
studiojimi's Avatar
 

3 more words

mountains of cocaine
Old 25th October 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
3 more words

mountains of cocaine
And more important:

Lot's of talent.
Old 25th October 2006
  #19
Gear Nut
 
studiojimi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
And more important:

Lot's of talent.
but from which side of the glass?
Old 25th October 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
but from which side of the glass?
Both, IMO.
I find that in alot of cases that's what made some great records.
Talent on both sides of the glass.
And both sides recognized that talent.

The biggest problem today, IMO, is that the level of talent is lacking on both sides of the glass.
Old 25th October 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
roxxon's Avatar
 

Hello Henchman...
Living in Vancouver...Have you ever heard this Fleetwood Mac tribute band?
They sound pretty good.
I work with one of the dudes in the band.
They also do an ABBA tribute.

Check them out:
http://www.tributetofleetwoodmac.ca/

Old 25th October 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
Very dry, very bright, very separate sounding, pretty well arranged.
and VERY well sung and played.

I love Fleetwood Mac, and this is a great song to try and record. Good luck getting that sound to Pro-Tools. It'll be a hell of a fight.
Old 26th October 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Fleetwood Mac were okay in the 70s but their 60s output towers over anything they did during that period. No girls. No Buckingham. The legendary and incomparable Peter Green on guitar. And they wrote amazing songs like Albatross and Black Magic Woman! (A lot of Yanks seem to think the latter is a Santana song for some weird reason! )
Old 27th October 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

recreate go your own way. Good luck lots of listening on a ton of different moniters and I bet you still won't discover everything going on in that mix.
You got a talented band two couples that just split up enough drugs to kill a heard of elephants.
CAN"T BE redone though I think there is an article in the Vintage King archives about rumors

The Other thing is Lindsey is a very non computer guy didn't eveven like automation so taking a high tech aproach isn't going to get you close it wasn't about anything but the sound.
The Famouse Turner prototype didn't drop into Lindseys hands untill the rehersals for the Rumors Tour

LB For Guest moderator.
Also PM Mark linett he could give you some insights to the LB aproach Having worked with Lindsey and Brian Wilson.
Old 28th October 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

What Console Did they use

What Console Did they use?

Granted they probably used more than one, but does anybody know?
Old 9th November 2006
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Here's that article from the Vintage King archives on recording Rumours:
http://65.61.32.96/pdf_files/Fleetwo...%20Rumours.pdf

and here's another article from 1979 that ran in Modern Recording magazine:
http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...v2&id=527&c=18

The second article reports them using one of the first Neve 8078s, outfitted with a Necam computer, when they were recording Tusk.
Old 9th November 2006
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Fleetwood Mac were okay in the 70s but their 60s output towers over anything they did during that period. No girls. No Buckingham. The legendary and incomparable Peter Green on guitar. And they wrote amazing songs like Albatross and Black Magic Woman! (A lot of Yanks seem to think the latter is a Santana song for some weird reason! )
I sometimes work with an African guitarist who used to play with Peter Green. It was in the day's when Pete grew his fingernails and couldn't play the solo's. This guy used to tell me that you should have seen the audiences faces when this black man used to come on in full african garb and play Black Magic Woman and Albatross.

Regards to all

Roland
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump