The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why are we into such a friggin' expensive activity?
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Why are we into such a friggin' expensive activity?

My girlfriend is a roller-skate nut........what does she need?......some rollerskates and an MP3 player........Even if she wanted to, she couldn't spend much more then a couple of grand on her equipment........compare that to music production........I want a 9K, ATC bigs and all the boutique gear there is.....sigh...
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

When I think of the luxuries I could have in place of a bunch of mostly depreciation gear... Well I just try not to think about it.
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Yes and when you think about going on holidays you compare the $$'s to what new gear you want..
Like well if I go to NZ again to see my friend its worth a Smart C2.
I love my friend but is she really worth it
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
Yes and when you think about going on holidays you compare the $$'s to what new gear you want..
heh heh

First thing I used to translate any bigger numbers into were motorized bicycles, then motor bikes and guitars and now it is guitars and overprized but great sounnding mics and boxes. Guess it might stay this way until the last big box that noone wants to have. However before that I gather there must be a "limit", a point where I would be satisfied to have "all" for the most of applications. It should be happening ... er..
Old 2nd September 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
Ha, I do this too.
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

well, look on the bright side... We could have been diamond cutters right?
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

i tend to believe that the reason that we are in an expensive activity is because for the most part i feel that we don't choose music - i feel that it chooses us. we are sort of all suffering artists all in our own way and with varying degrees. even here on gearslutz, if you look at the avitar of many here , the ones who are marked as "lives for gear" i would venture to say post here constantly - and are in many ways living for gear and knowledge to better their craft. i'm sure that even very big league mixers who are swamped with mixing chores day and night will at every 45 minutes check the computer for gearslutz for any new cool posts or a smigin of information they can learn from or add to - even before making an important business call or using the restroom. we are obcessed with music and sound and knowledge. its almost as if it is our drug habit with no rehab center available for us. if it was easy to walk away from, many of us already would have due to the fact that this can be a very unstable occupation to exist in. also from my personal past experience , the harder ive tried to get out - and there were times i really tried , that's when circumstances really pulled me back in.
we dont choose it - it chooses us.
s
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Hopefully we won't get to a 'Died for Gear' avatar.stike
Old 2nd September 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

I was trying to explain to a "non-studio" friend yesterday the merits of a £3k box that made a sound go "nngh" rather than "nnnnnnnngh". And in an ideal world, how I'd like another one that did the same thing but was a "bit more gooey". I realised afterwards I must have sounded like a seriously sad twat!

Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

I remember talking to a dealer once, when shopping for a new convertors, I asked him his opinion on a couple and he said he wouldn't want to bore me by "that kind of talk" and that he couldn't stand people who liked discussing such things, laughing, assuming I'd agree with him.

My finger slipped and we were cut off.
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthbalance

we dont choose it - it chooses us.
s
[/B]
Yes but there are some people who are highly successful music types who just don't have the gearslutz bug, they just know the gear they like and that's it. No burning restlessness to it. They have arrived.
Old 2nd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Yes but there are some people who are highly successful music types who just don't have the gearslutz bug, they just know the gear they like and that's it. No burning restlessness to it. They have arrived.
------------------------

absolutely ! that is true too , however they are obsessed with other music matters like melodies and getting their piano chops better or what ever. i love cool gear and mics and the like , but i pretty much have my PT rig tweaked out to my satisfaction now the way i like , so im focusing on other aspects of music & studio stuff. just because you are not a gearslutz junkie doesn't mean that you are not a music and sound junkie. that said , i will admit that gearslutz is highly addictive - post with caution. the surgeon general may eventually post a disclaimer here !
heh
Old 3rd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
inconceivable!
Old 3rd September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthbalance
........however they are obsessed with other music matters like melodies and getting their piano chops better or what ever........

yeeeaahhh, I knew I was lost as soon as I stopped practicing drum chops and started practicing how to tune 'em....over, and over and over....

Old 3rd September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by heinz
inconceivable!
lol!
Old 7th September 2003
Lives for gear
It's not anymore expensive than my children. It's not anymore expensive than my other hobby of mountain climbing and with recording I don't face the prospect of falling off a mountain, getting struck by lightning or dying from hypothermia.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search