The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's With The E-Bay Flower Pot Guy? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2017
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Nut

Its amazing seeing how much FPG has raised the prices of useless pieces of gear. The worst part is people actually do buy from him. What on earth.....

And then all the other clueless sellers "But look at HIS listing price". Yeah you will also notice no sales in the past 6 months on the scalped pieces of gear. lol
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m_10 View Post
PSA.

Forgive me if this has already been posted, and if it has I'd like to thank the OP of this method for helping his fellow GS members lower their blood pressure, remain calm & happy and keep the good karma flowing.

To exclude the FP guy from your eBay searches, click on the 'advanced' search button, type in your search item, then

1. Scroll down to "Sellers
2. Check "Only show items from:"
3. Press the button on "Specific sellers (enter seller's user IDs)"
4. Choose "exclude" from the drop down pick list.
5. Enter the FP guy's user ID
6. Hit 'search'.

You will be rewarded with a plethora of interesting eBay listings without one flower pot in any of the thumbnails.

I realize that all GS readers can easily figure this out for themselves, but given the FP guy's intrusion into almost all rackmount gear listings, doing this changes an excessively irritating eBay experience into an enjoyable one ;-)

I also realize that some GS users don't find the FP guy's eBay listings irritating or annoying. To you: I suggest that you apply for a post in the United Nation's Diplomacy & Meditation department - the UN needs more people like you!

It would be most useful if someone could write a browser plugin to do this automatically. AFAIK eBay doesn't give buyers any other way to block sellers such as the FP guy.

best,
3M_10
But if I do that, how do I know how much to overcharge for my crappy old gear.
Old 9th December 2017
we need to stick flower pot guy and Armens from NYC on a ****ing rocket ship + eject them from planet earth..
< snip - mod. >

i literally HATE seeing people trying to manipulate prices on music making equipment
its heart breaking.. price manipulation has been a thing,
these ****ing morons learned from world of warcraft auction house or something

here is a guide on how to exclude certain sellers using ebays "Advanced search" function
What's With The E-Bay Flower Pot Guy?How to Block a Seller's Listings | eBay

apparently u can enter up to *10* seller names to ignore (seperated by spaces? or commas? im not sure)
but as long as you use advanced search it will remember what you put and keep ignoring those sellers in your results = win!!
EFF you flower pot guy!!
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

^^^^^ Well said!!!
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova777 View Post
here is a guide on how to exclude certain sellers using ebays "Advanced search" function
What's With The E-Bay Flower Pot Guy?How to Block a Seller's Listings | eBay

apparently u can enter up to *10* seller names to ignore (seperated by spaces? or commas? im not sure)
but as long as you use advanced search it will remember what you put and keep ignoring those sellers in your results = win!!
EFF you flower pot guy!!
Thanks for that tip!

Another weird scam(?) on ebay is certain stuff listed as coming from Japan . . . I saw a used Panasonic boom box listed for $2060.00.

Panasonic RX-DT75 Portable stereo CD system Unused item Accessory complete | eBay

Also Neumanns for like 50% over list price (new).

NEUMANN U 87 Ai studio set condenser microphone (Neumann) | eBay

So, yeah, I really want to purchase a U87 for $6000 and then pay the additional shipping to import it from Japan . . .
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

You can also just ignore his listings. I see ridiculous listings on Ebay all the time, not just flower guy. Look in completed listings and you'll see nobody is paying those prices, maybe they're selling off site? Not sure why it bothers you all so much.

So what if this guy exclusively has something you really want? Does anyone know if he negotiates prices?
Old 10th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Not sure why it bothers you all so much.
Only because it used to be that every once in a while, you could get lucky. As a broke musician, you hunted down gear on ebay, thrift stores, places like Atomic music, music go round, pawn shops, Craig's list etc. People like him have changed the used gear market forever.

So now, when a un-savvy pawn shop owner prices his gear in his shop local to you, he looks immediately on ebay, using it as a "bluebook" and prices his stuff going off flowerpot dude's listings.

Not just pawn shops, music stores, private sellers.... it is the "Bible" now on what something should sell for. Or rather what they should ask for it.

And Reverb as well.

That's why it bugs me personally. Not to mention if it's a rare item, he's got the one out of 60 that are in the market, and he's gouging. Just like gasoline and milk and bread when there's a shortage.

That said, I really could give a sh*t and yeah, I just ignore him. He's not getting my money, biz, or loyalty and repeat biz because of how he conducts himself being motivated by greed. Plus, I have enough gear to make a record now, and don't really "NEED" anything anymore. There was a time when I did though.

I mean, call me stupid, but I would feel like a d*ck listing stuff at the prices he does. But hey, everybody has their level of moral standards.

I checked months ago, and flowerpot guy actually did have some sales at the time. So somebody was having no luck finding it elsewhere and decided to pay his jacked up prices.

Anyways, it's the USA....can't the guy for being a capitalist. That said, he'd undoubtedly move more gear, do more business, and even possibly get people following his auctions if his pricing was more competitive...and ahem....fair.

Look how long his sits up there. Not too smart of a business model. Anyways, sorry to rant. I think several times you have asked why it bothers people. If it wasn't you, it was somebody. This thread has been running for what seems years now. Feels like effing groundhog day.

I figured I'd attempt one more explanation as to why this dude grates on people...at least me, personally.
Unsubscribing now I guess.

All ya can really do is vent right? I'm done.

This is the MOAN ZONE anyway. If you don't want to hear people complaining, this isn't the place to hang maybe.

PS normally love your posts man, but this guy is a t**l.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post

PS normally love your posts man, but this guy is a t**l.
I'm not disagreeing, but I think you give him way too much credit and (most) of the buyers too little.

The internet has done the things you suggest, with or without flower guy.
Old 10th December 2017
You, know, you're right. But the internet is just technology with people driving it. It's kind of like the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" thing.
You get a hundred flowerpot guys going, and what do you have?

I just think people could be a little less greedy, and it would probably help his biz, not hurt it by not asking so crazy of prices. Get the prices down, and sell volume. Dude needs to watch Shark Tank or Dragon's Den or some sh*t.

Volume is the key.

I looked last night. It seems he's come down a little, so good on him.

This stuff started back in the mid to late 90's, when people started driving up Neve channels and the like. Gas was $140 a gallon. 1073 channels were $1000 unracked etc.

When protools and other means of recording to a computer or ADAT became possible and popular, this created a bigger market than what existed when it was only studios. Dr.'s. Dentists. Architects, Lawyers....everybody that always wanted to be a musician and make records, now could.

So....there were people jumping into the used console brokering / gear biz that knew nothing about consoles, but saw money to be made. $18k for a used car? Or $65k for a used console? Almost like real estate.

The gear biz became just as viable as used cars.

Now we are at a place where it's reached it's saturation point, and people are seeing an opportunity in cloning old gear.

This should balance out the pricing on some of this stuff a little, though some things will always be rare, hard to copy, and expensive to build, leaving the original pieces costly no matter what.

I know you have people saying the clones are no where near the same...blah, blah. Some of them are very close.

Anyways....I see what you are saying too. And yeah, I watched it happen. Still not happy about it though. I do appreciate you for being rational after my rant man.
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Guru

I agree with you about this guy, not defending his practice of gouging. But he's a symptom, not a cause.
Old 11th December 2017
I think the only thing he has that's even mildly interesting to me, is that fairchild reverb.

But i need another reverb device like i need another hole in my head.

He usually just has junk.

I don't really g.a.s. much anymore though, so my opinion is biased.
Old 12th December 2017
Well, in my mind he's one of the causes, but hey, we all see things differently.
He makes the choice to price like that.
He doesn't have to, the only illness he's suffering from in this case is a case of "I want more money."

Yeah, mostly he has junk.

He's had cool things, Soundworkshop reverbs, Shure Level-Locs, Langevin rack mount mixers etc....but rarely.

I will say, often times some things that appear to be junk, are useful though.

Particularly if you are adept with a soldering iron.
Lots of transformer coupled discrete gear out there that with a few tweaks can sound real nice compared to IC based interface or console channels.

Depends where you are at in your studio building journey I guess. Whether you are scrounging for something that sounds good or not, and have no money.
Old 13th December 2017
One day he'll be dead... and his relatives will find this huge pile of audio junk...

"what to do with all this junk ?"

"just put in on ebay"

And the saga continues
Old 13th December 2017
Maybe they'll bury him in a flower pot, like the Pringle's guy was buried in a Pringle's can.....
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
People like him have changed the used gear market forever.

So now, when a un-savvy pawn shop owner prices his gear in his shop local to you, he looks immediately on ebay, using it as a "bluebook" and prices his stuff going off flowerpot dude's listings.

Not just pawn shops, music stores, private sellers.... it is the "Bible" now on what something should sell for. Or rather what they should ask for it.

And Reverb as well.

It's true that e-bay has created something of an easily accessible marketplace for pricing purposes. The days of checking rural pawn shops for misidentified or massively under-priced instruments and gear has gone. I have no problem with that. Indeed it would be a bit selfish to complain that sellers have a better idea of what something is worth nowadays.

The problem, IMO is the increasing gap between asking price and typical selling price for a lot of items.

When there is a limited supply of a certain item, posting at speculative prices does have an effect on the overall market. Other sellers become nervous that they are maybe the one who has the wrong price. Anyone selling an item for $500 who sees someone else trying to sell it for $1,000 starts to wonder if $750 might be better.

The are only two end results Sometimes the hypers win, and the perceived value of the item skyrockets, often well beyond its actual utility. Perception bias takes over, and the purchasers of very expensive vintage gear report that is sounds much better than anything currently available (because it take a very brave person to accept that they paid a fortune for a piece of vintage gear that sounds so-so) Vintage guitars dealers have lived on this phenomenon for years.

Otherwise, the market dies there is a glut of unsold items and a "boom and bust " cycle results, with everyone trying to sell at the top of an oscillating market. Both can be very frustrating
Old 13th December 2017
The real problem is always the same problem, it's people.
Greed.

Not really a problem actually since we're all people.

Just buy the junk or don't.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

This 9guitar dude owns two other websites where he has all of the stuff he has on ebay listed as a "normal" price of around $140 marked down to $43.99. He even has a Jeep on his site listed as a 1928 jeep (there was no such thing in 1928). He said he listed it this way because he has no title. He has it for sale for $44. I found a CBS Audimax and a CBS volumax for sale at his websites. Both for $44.00 I bought them both but never after waiting a week ever got an order confirmation. I wrote him about it but never got a reply. I am calling the creditcard company and putting a stop on this. So far he hasn't billed me. Then I noticed these items are still for sale on his website. Then I noticed he had the same units on ebay with the flower pot background for around $400 plus dollars. I think this guy is running some sort of scam. Beware. Don't have anything to do with him. ------------ Dave W.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Some further info on this is that apparently 9guitar has the attention of people on homerecording .com website as well. His two other sites that I found are modernwardrobes.top and kitgoods.top I managed to trace him to Clark.ns.cloudflare.com and going further found him to be at an address in California.

Cloudflare, Inc.
101 Townsend Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 US
+1-650-319-8930 +1-650-319-8930

[United States] 173.245.59.87
San Francisco, CA, United States
RDNS: clark.ns.cloudflare.com
Provider: CloudFlare

173.245.59.87 is not listed in the Spamhaus blacklist.
173.245.59.87 is not listed in the Spamcop blacklist.

No web server found on 173.245.59.87.

But the site I used to trace him last gives a server number at that location but then says there is no server there. I used a multiple of sites to find this, but the last one that gave the best results was abongo.com These two "top" websites of his have collector microphones and other stuff listed at give away prices. I still can't figure out what that's all about unless he's just collecting credit card numbers and keeping the products he's selling. Unless of course he is only "selling" the pictures and there are no products. ---------- I think this guy is running some sort of scam on his websites. Don't know what but it smells bad. Stay away from this dude.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

So far I have come up with a total of ten websites "Flower Pot Guy" or 9guitar has. Everything on those websites is marked down from somewhere in the $145 range to $43.99 or so. Then you can look at his ebay pages and find the same item in front of the same flower pots for over $450 plus dollars or even more. He will not answer messages on the websites, and if you try and buy one of these very reasonably priced items on one of his websites the deal won't go through. He's a scam artist of some sort in my opinion.
Old 3 days ago
Hey good work on the tracing...certainly know more about that stuff than I.

That said, there seem to be a lot of sites that have nothing to do with ebay, that scavenge and spider through real, up and up auction sites, and list items on their site as if they have the authority to sell the items, when in fact they don't even have possession of the items.

This started on the up and up, with real sites that actually did do commerce involving ebay, and has turned into scam territory.

For example:

Like, let's say you had a site up selling guitars.

I am a crack web guy, but know nothing about guitars, but see they sell for a lot of money.

I make a fake site that takes CC commerce, and list items on your site, using your description, photos etc.

And you don't even know this is going on. I get the CC payment, you did all the hard work, and you don't get anything.

Pretty sure that's what going on here. Lot's of sites like this that link to ebay out of China...not sure what's up with the San Fran address. Maybe to lend credibility, or just an USA scammer.

I'm with you, I am not fond of the Flower Pot guy either, but I think those sites are not connected to him.

They are somebody else just running scams using ebay descriptions and photos. Don't think he'd go THAT far.

Has anybody purchased from him on ebay proper? Where did the item ship from?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I'm not sure the listings I keep seeing are the "flower pot guy" you're talking about, but I have noticed that the first hundred listings or so of every "vintage" item are all BUY IT NOW and are all priced sky-high.

I know they are priced out of line because when I finally get to the AUCTION listings, I see these same items gathering moss with bids of three and four dollars trickling in, instead of the $50-75 listed on the BUY IT NOWs. In the end, the auctioned items seem to pull $10, at the most.

This is particularly annoying when you are trying to get an idea of the value of your own equipment. Recently, I disassembled a drum kit I had built many years ago because I saw eBay prices for the individual pieces of hardware and assumed I could make much more money selling it that way. In the end, my Pearl double-tom mount, which eBay convinced me was worth about $80, got zero bids. Not even five bucks.

Anyway, wasn't eBay supposed to be an auction site? When did it become Amazon?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
I'm not sure the listings I keep seeing are the "flower pot guy" you're talking about, but I have noticed that the first hundred listings or so of every "vintage" item are all BUY IT NOW and are all priced sky-high.

I know they are priced out of line because when I finally get to the AUCTION listings, I see these same items gathering moss with bids of three and four dollars trickling in, instead of the $50-75 listed on the BUY IT NOWs. In the end, the auctioned items seem to pull $10, at the most.

This is particularly annoying when you are trying to get an idea of the value of your own equipment. Recently, I disassembled a drum kit I had built many years ago because I saw eBay prices for the individual pieces of hardware and assumed I could make much more money selling it that way. In the end, my Pearl double-tom mount, which eBay convinced me was worth about $80, got zero bids. Not even five bucks.

Anyway, wasn't eBay supposed to be an auction site? When did it become Amazon?
if you are using E-bay for valuation, it is essential to use only completed sales, and then throw out any outliers For example, the average asking price for a certain vintage bass I own is $8-10K, but they only seem to actually sell in the $4-6K range

As I understand it, E-bay charges little or nothing if a fixed price item doesn't sell. This encourages something like a lottery with no entry fee for the seller. Because the cost is so low, a lot of sellers will consistently advertise an item for twice its market value and wait for the 1:1000 chance that someone will actually pay that much.

Hence, auctions for vintage gear are clogged with sellers who really don't any motivation to sell unless someone offers them way over market price. Its an almost free lottery ticket.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
if you are using E-bay for valuation, it is essential to use only completed sales
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search