Guns N Roses... suck and blow.
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Slash rocks!
Cool guitar player.
I love his style.

Matt Sorum!
Love his power skin bashing!
He was great in the Cult, GNR and now in Velvet Revolver!

Izzy was the best songwriter in GNR.

GNR were a driving force for about 5 years in the rock music scene.

They wrote maybe a handful of really good rock tunes, in my opinion.

They also released many poorly written tunes.
Some of their recordings sound like pure ass...

Guns and roses were an attitude, more than they ever were a band who writes prolific songs.However, they were a great live act in their heyday.
Clearly, Paxil Rose has had his time as a big rock star.

Oh well...
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

I am a trained singer myself and I must say that in my opinion Axl Rose is a very skilled singer, when he is having a good day. Have you ever tried to sing Guns n´Roses? Then you will realise how difficult it is to sing.
- If you don´t like his voice, that is a subjective matter (perhaps it is because of the unique sound it has) but it doesn´t change the fact that he is a very clever songwriter and singer.

-Then again that is just my opinion....[/QUOTE]

I just want to ad, I can imagine Axl singing every good writen song and singing it like if it was his song... also i always found slash a drunk poser. But this is 2006 almost 2007 so who the hell care's about the old lineup? i recommend everyone that has a chance to check them out live "go ahead" they rock the place up. Tommorow they play in Cleveland, they are with eight very skilled people on stage, great vocals, 3 great guitar players one of them is very wel knowm music teacher, a rocking bassplayer, kicking drummer (dummers they have two in the band) plus Dizzy & Chris Pitman on keys & effects etc !!! they are just gearslutz with a great job !!! In case you want to download some evidence here you go (nevermind the guestbook since it's full of teeny's wanking about slash and VR) i mean Velvet who?
Old 23rd November 2006
Here for the gear

Humble opinion

I can remember being blown away by that Appetite For Destruction album in my late teens when it came out. And it still stands up, even some of the Use Your Illusion material. The only major drawback for me, however, was Axl. You wanted to like him but it was so difficult to because he was such a bell end. Pretty much these days he's nothing more than a poster child for bad plastic surgery. All is not lost, though. Check out Velvet Revolver-it's kinda nice to think of them as what GNR might have been had they still been around. God bless Slash, i say!
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear Head

I really like Slash's VW commercial...
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear Nut

AFD is my number 1 all time rock n' roll album.....

Do your self a favour and tjeck the Slash's Snakepit "Ain't Life Grand" album....produced by Jack Douglas...holy f#¤# that's a punchy disc....
Old 24th November 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsomosley View Post
I can remember being blown away by that Appetite For Destruction album in my late teens when it came out. And it still stands up, even some of the Use Your Illusion material. The only major drawback for me, however, was Axl. You wanted to like him but it was so difficult to because he was such a bell end. Pretty much these days he's nothing more than a poster child for bad plastic surgery. All is not lost, though. Check out Velvet Revolver-it's kinda nice to think of them as what GNR might have been had they still been around. God bless Slash, i say!

Actually I think that both Slash, Axl and the rest of the band deserve our respect.
I think that they were all talented in their own way. How many Guitarsolos can you actually honestly say has got as much soul as slash´s solos? Izzy were/is a good song writer Axl was/is too....I mean they were all great in GNR and outside GNR. I like the snakepit albums and Izzy´s solo projects to.... And now Axl is back in better shape than ever! I saw him live this summer and the new GNR kicked major ass. Just to bad that "the golden constellation" couldn´t last
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

I don't like axl either. Twat with a stupid voice. But, calling the band that made this '****' or 'the worst rock band ever' shows that you're a dumbass.

The end.
Old 24th November 2006
Gear Addict

I can't listen to their albums from start to finish without wanting to fast forward through something. Good band, though. GNR=Diet AEROSMITH
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the russian View Post
I can't listen to their albums from start to finish without wanting to fast forward through something. Good band, though. GNR=Diet AEROSMITH
LOL, i'm with you there
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Addict

Second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
GNR wrote and recorded some amazing albums. You are plain wrong.
Wrong as fuuck!

Ok. Yeah Nirvana and the Beatles were just awful too! No shredding at all. Also, apples are so much better than oranges. You have to peel oranges. Apples are so much better.

AC
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Addict

another dumb statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by the russian View Post
Ok. I'll match this other dumb statement with one of my own: Nirvana=Diet Beatles.
Old 24th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

All I can say is thank **** Kurt came along and put them into place...

Green Day came across well, good tunez, etc...
Kurt Cobain and his ilk brought about the general decline in musicianship in the '90's.

Green Day can suck my ass too.

GnR rocked! Not really my kind of music, but man, tunes like Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City and Sweet Child O Mine kick ass. Kurt Cobain sucks ass. Well, at least in heaven he can get some tips from Jimi, Terry Kath, and other REAL guitar players.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw View Post
Kurt Cobain and his ilk brought about the general decline in musicianship in the '90's.

Green Day can suck my ass too.

GnR rocked! Not really my kind of music, but man, tunes like Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City and Sweet Child O Mine kick ass. Kurt Cobain sucks ass. Well, at least in heaven he can get some tips from Jimi, Terry Kath, and other REAL guitar players.
Kurt so owns Axl on so many levels. Kurt was an artist and a poet. Axl was just another typical "rock star" of cock rock.
Old 24th November 2008
Gear Addict

I love both guys. But they are different flavas.

They're both great.
Old 25th November 2008
Lives for gear

Has anyone seen "Celebrity Rehab with Dr Drew"? Steve Adler is on it.

What a complete mess he is.

Wow.

So sad. AFD was monumental for me and still stands to this day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
GNR wrote and recorded some amazing albums. You are plain wrong.
Horrible band,thank christ the 90’s happened and blew all the hairspray and bogan rock off the Earth.

Axl’s voice like standing on a cat’s tail,just awful.

I had to play drums in a cover band and play Sweet Child Of Mine a thousand times,zzzzzzzz.

Crowd looved that song lmaoooooo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasha View Post
Horrible band,thank christ the 90’s happened and blew all the hairspray and bogan rock off the Earth.

Axl’s voice like standing on a cat’s tail,just awful.

I had to play drums in a cover band and play Sweet Child Of Mine a thousand times,zzzzzzzz.

Crowd looved that song lmaoooooo.
Nice digging up the dead!

Dunno about you, but where I lived, all the hallowed 90s bands were never bigger than GNR and Metallica even in the height of the grunge times. Seattle style bands were hyped by the press etc. but when it came to selling tickets, the Soundgardens/Pearls of the world just weren't as big as the straight rockers. I will admit to liking some of the bands, especially Soundgarden, but I always found most of the grunge stuff pretty meh. OTOH, Chris Cornell was such an obvious generational talent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasha View Post
Sorry, that is but a trifle to running an open mic and hearing someones dad croon "Sweet Child of Mine" every week for 3 years. There's not enough dope in the world to erase that mind scar. Dude was the reason I imposed the 1 cover song or 3 original songs rule (but never longer than 10 minutes. Had to literally unplug a guy when his first song was a 12 minute wankfest with no end in sight. Fvcking hippy.)

ETA: GNR was the thinking mans Skid Row.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I liked a couple of their songs, but they were massively overplayed. Always thought Slash was so overrated as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

First time looking at this thread. Wow. About as polarizing as a band can get. I think that's a compliment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Nothing like a hot take on a 14 year old hot take.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Never liked em. Too cliché looking for one. Too overplayed, too bored with them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
First time looking at this thread. Wow. About as polarizing as a band can get. I think that's a compliment.
totally agree.

also...wow. how has this been 14 years ago ?

can't believe i've been on this board that long.

i remember seeing this for the first time. i refrained from commenting on this.

i will again.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

There was a great magazine article once saying exactly who and which guys from certain bands like GNR were eventually going to be huge stars in depth and they all were penniless waiting for their moment in the spotlight this included all Metal Hair Bands and great first hand pictures and information to photos. There was a huge band from this period who I shall not mention due to sensitivity problems and touring Australia they thought themselves the coolest MoFo’s to exist on earth. One night they played a set at a well known Sydney Venue in Kings Cross, Management theirs and the Club’s even set up a VIP table for them, roped off inside the Club! Well that’s the sort of L.A treatment they felt worthy of. People didn’t go near them, the guests were Australia’s finest players and the set, sound and lighting was awful they had so much trouble and loaded in tons of gear. I was smoking a huge spliff and went up to take a look? I’ve never seen 5 more lonely guys out of depth no females and enduring as the laughing stock of Sydney. It was quite a sight particularly when you can imagine the faces there that evening. They sat around a table sans table cloth, bottle of JD and hardly said a word to one another. I do give them points for toughing it out and staying in place. It was their last gig a showcase, they flew home the next day and word spread this notorious club didn’t bow or scrape to profiled people!

Lesson learned I’d say!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search