The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
All these Neve knock-offs as "the real thing" Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Give it up. You don't gain an award by sticking behind a company. I do much more than audio and everyone "clones", "replicates" etc. The better word would be they make their own rendition of a good product. Some are better than the original, some are worse.

I am a car guy, this happens with car parts. Some people are more successful racing racing on "knockoff" suspension than something that costs 3x as much. It's not so important to have the best, it's most important to be the fastest. These are true knock offs, not counterfeit but the closest you can come. Same applies to audio, it's not about having the real deal, it's about your music.

That said, I don't think you get it anyway so if you want to argue, I will not respond. Oh, and please post pics of your Neve with a paper saying your screen name. I don't deny you have one but from other posts, I would not be surprised if you don't. This doesn't prove you right or me wrong, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if you don't own what you are bitching about, that doesn't mean you don't.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

For all you cheap-asses heres to my final post in here:

Good day to all and please save up your pennies, maybe one day you'll be above a GAP & Vintech budget !
Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post

Good day to all and please save up your pennies, maybe one day you'll be above a GAP & Vintech budget !
You are aware that some of the products you're labelling "clones" and people "cheap-asses" for buying, actually cost more than the 1073DPA? there's only a finite number of "real" 1073s around, so will EVERYONE be a cheap-arse when there's none available for sale?! Likewise, is everyone who buys an ADL fairchild "clone" a cheap-arse, because they've not bought a real 670?! not that there's exactly more than one or two for sale at any one time!

I really don't know why you've got this agenda, nor why you think posting bigger and bigger facepalms supports your argument. I don't think you really know what "facepalm" is meant to represent either....because everytime you post it, it's not really relevant.

I'm with 3rd degree here - I think your mouth VASTLY outstrips your experience!
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

90% of good tone comes from the artist.. mic preamp fairy dust will NEVER make a **** musician good. Thing is gearsluts think they are 'getting somewhere' with each new purchase.
Old 29th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
LMFAO...

indeed monkey, indeed.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
- I think your mouth VASTLY outstrips your experience!
Gold.. Pure gold.
Old 30th September 2011
I'm thinking of selling my AMS Neve DPD to go with BAE, now how do you feel about that?

302efi, we can swap if you want, but you'll need to add money to the deal.
Old 30th September 2011
MWP
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Screw what anyone else thinks and go with what sounds best to you and fits your work flow.

After 7 years of the same GS Bull sh*t, Neve vs. clone crap i think its been proven over and over that you can make great sounding records with either. So if this is really the case its just a matter of trying it out yourself.

Really who's opinion matters most anyway? The gear designer? The gear pimp? The megalomaniac producer/engineer with a boatload of gear? The over opinionated GS member? The weekend warrior? The over enthusiastic gear owner who's one and only mic preamp is a Neve or clone? Neither one actually. Each has his own bias.

One thing that you notice hasn't changed around here is that some peoples biases keep them still seeing things in the old ways. Where name recognition is still much more important than actual sound or use. You woulda thought in this modern climate that its been shown that no one really gives a f*ck anymore what you use...only the results.

The importance of a name is really to the user and for some its really a psychological boost to know they either use or own something that is valued by others.

Now does this give you better sonic results???? Who knows?
Nuff said! +1

mwp
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank goodness.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
copywrites
You mean copyright.
Quote:
Fast forward a couple of decades or so.... When they decided to re-issue the 1073, they were essentially starting from scratch... with a different company, and a different staff (with only one person left that had actually been around during the discrete circuit days).
Wrong. At least 2 people, and I think actually 3. John Turner was there before Geoff T and has worked straight through. Given that Robin started in '71 I think - Geoff T would know, that's over 80 years experience just between those two.

Not that any of that makes their products any better/worse than anyone elses, but to say that the company was starting from scratch is plainly not the case.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=302efi;7047366]We here these kinda statements all the time, but you never see any "pro" studios with a 10 racks full of GAP's ???..Up against the real thing, they will 100% of the time never be the right tool in a million dollar record.

I don't agree at all. I see many "pro" studios with Chandler, ADM, etc. Studios are a business. Most artists do not know the difference between preamps. As long as is sounds good, they do not care. Artists care more about the guitar amps, drums, samples and other musical devices.

If a studio does not have a 1073, would you consider it a non-pro studio?

What is the business need of a real 1073? In a blind test would you be able to tell the difference from most knock-offs to the real thing? I could see in rare cases, a producer could be swayed from one studio to another that has a real 1073. But not if they already trust the studio that does not have the real thing.

By now all 1073s should have been recapped. The caps used are probably the same used in knockoffs.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

I have worked with the real thing, I think the 1073's sound musical... they work. I have also used the Vintech x73 and the GA I like the original 1073 the best, but I will take anything.. this 1073 craze is out of hand!!

P.S
Most of the time I feel like I live in a time warp.. I have (professionally) used all the gear UAD (and many other companies) have modeled plugins after. It's crazy how many debates I see here about gear, how many people here even have access to a room full of vintage gear, tuned rooms and good monitors? If I obsessed over gear this much I would never meet a mix deadline..
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Addict

My point exactly... If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then get a real 1073. If not, Golden Age will do the job and you can charge the same hourly rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicll View Post
I have worked with the real thing, I think the 1073's sound musical... they work. I have also used the Vintech x73 and the GA I like the original 1073 the best, but I will take anything.. this 1073 craze is out of hand!!

P.S
Most of the time I feel like I live in a time warp.. I have (professionally) used all the gear UAD (and many other companies) have modeled plugins after. It's crazy how many debates I see here about gear, how many people here even have access to a room full of vintage gear, tuned rooms and good monitors? If I obsessed over gear this much I would never meet a mix deadline..
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Expensive mic pre debates: Because the microphone is fine where it is.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post
Expensive mic pre debates: Because the microphone is fine where it is.

* On the other hand, it's hilarious that the poster states unequivocally "NO" pro engineers use the "bootlegs, copies, fakes, yadda yadda", then when I state clearly that there ARE Pro's like Michael Brauner that DO use these exact pieces of gear, he acts as if they're just shilling for free gear.

Ummmm.... they USED the gear, you stated they do not, argument lost.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Addict

just found this, had to laugh that the poster uses an mpc as his picture, why not just play the instrument instead of sample it???
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
I have an awesome idea guys!! Lets bicker like drunken penguins about mic pres - the single most important factor in how many albums you sell. Only by whining about knockoffs will we raise our profession to the level of art.

Oh wait...
Well put!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
just found this, had to laugh that the poster uses an mpc as his picture, why not just play the instrument instead of sample it???
Hey. Smokin' observation! Top notch
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I feel that real and clone 1073's are overrated. I'm not saying that they don't sound amazing. They most certainly do. I'm just saying that there are MANY other pres out there that are just as useful. As long as the talent is there it's incredibly easy to make ANY high end mic Pre sound good. That is of course just my opinion. I do feel that we as engineers are guilty of building these mystical pieces of gear up in front of our clients (even though it's very rare that they could tell the difference between any of these pres).

Those vintage neve pres certainly have their own sound, but so does APA, Buzz, API, Milennia, Manley . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I would say API does.
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
The music business is big money and this stuff is what sets the pros from the hobbyists...
Put a Stradivarius in the hands of a novice and see how quickly that assessment is flawed
Old 27th January 2012
A Neve 1073 is not overrated. It is the singlemost popular preamp used in recording for an important reason:

The sound.

Colored like all bloody hell, unacceptable levels of THD, but musical beyond belief.

Same goes for API, Focusrite, Trident, Harrison and other classics that have sustained all these years.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

A batch of 50 year old units (anything electronic audio) will sound different from one another, depending on how they were used, stored, handled, what's been replaced, etc...

Amount of $'s invested, and how many other people think something, can play a huge role in what any particular unit sounds like to any particular individual. We've all experienced this ourselves, and seen other people do it too.

New gear can sound just as "good" (as if everyone agrees on what that means) as vintage, depending on how "good" is defined. Get a bunch of pros in a room with a bunch of vintage and new gear for evaluation, and you're in for a circus of debate. Been there, done it, and had much fun. Variety and individualism is what makes the world interesting.

There's no answer to this, beyond your own individual answer.
Old 8th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
You are aware that some of the products you're labelling "clones" and people "cheap-asses" for buying, actually cost more than the 1073DPA? there's only a finite number of "real" 1073s around, so will EVERYONE be a cheap-arse when there's none available for sale?! Likewise, is everyone who buys an ADL fairchild "clone" a cheap-arse, because they've not bought a real 670?! not that there's exactly more than one or two for sale at any one time!

I really don't know why you've got this agenda, nor why you think posting bigger and bigger facepalms supports your argument. I don't think you really know what "facepalm" is meant to represent either....because everytime you post it, it's not really relevant.

Well said !

Im allso bothered about so many people belive that electronic circuits can´t be repeated and produced in moore than one factory or room. Same components is available today as 1973. There might be another colour or unknown difference in the transformer. But WHO can actually say that the first is ALLWAYS better ??. Im proud to have tested some clones. And both clones of the Fairchild as Neve preamps CAN be new produces witihout cost moore than they do. And still be upp to the same standard as the best original units. Just be shure the Neve preamp clones have a good powersupply.

D,S
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head

LOOK HERE BUDDY.. IF IT SOUNDS GOOD, IT SOUNDS GOOD..
IF IT WORKS.. IT WORKS..
IF ITS A REAL TRIED AND TRUE UNIT OR THE CLONE... WHO CARES??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

#iDon't.

#happyValentinesday
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

...but AMS Neve is "Neve", not a knock off...Like the actually company.
Lol.....AMS is the Neve (Name Trademark Owner) RN Neve sold to Siemens in 1975 or their about!

RN NEVE has done a dozen products for different companies - NEVE is a very "Broad Term".... Sir!
Lol............Seriously are you going on about the "Neve X y or Z not being real when you seem to... Or your Avatar at least - doesn't even actually have a proper LINN/AKAI MPC60/MKII/3000
LOl..........Classic!
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

That does it. I'm selling off everything, and loading up with Behringer.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
...but AMS Neve is "Neve", not a knock off...Like the actually company.
Lol.....AMS is the Neve (Name Trademark Owner) RN Neve sold to Siemens in 1975 or their about!
Nope, Rupert Neve sold out in approx. 1973, and was retained as a 'consultant' for a few years.

AMS Neve is the logical descendant of Neve - who else is continuing to make BIG large-format analogue consoles? Maybe API?
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

That is indeed true - Neve was "Consulting" until around 1975 - though I doubt the "Guiding hand was as much hands on as when RN Neve did his own designs"

Well....... We can throw in Focusrite, & RN NEVE certainly did a great stint with AMEK from early designs into Rembrandt's etc. certainly Calrec are near toe to toe based on the RN Neve Design principle for BBC PPM based Broadcast consoles for TV & Radio including theatre and various equipment Modules may live on through later linage, though we can also see Siemens moving alongside with Calrec as that side of AMS/Neve comes together. With the BBC it was simply as their operators preferred Calrec Workflow Vs Neve. Cost was also a factor, though certainly their is no Neve in "Sound-field 360 Mid/Side 4 Capsule Array Microphones"! As neither does an AMS-RMX16 or S-DMX-15-80S hang Neve of the label! I never thought I'd see SE Electronic's holding an RN Neve Microphone though I guess money talks to us all.

I'd say with the 75 Series Neve (Aust) & Genesys RN Neve input looks to be none if not re-hashed minimal, save for Part designs and components! Indeed I find the SAE Neve 75 Series a big chunk to swallow - And before I get into a rant - will OEM's please make Consoles with more the 8 Busses available - the reason I'd take a new Trident w/ Monitor section over an SAE 75 Neve in a Flash!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search