The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
All these Neve knock-offs as "the real thing" Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd September 2011
  #61
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

The same could be said for alot of API gear.

A new API 312 is about $850

Would people really rather spend $400 on a clone ?...or "build their own" ..lol


Just pay up and get the real **** from the start. You'll feel better heh
Old 22nd September 2011
  #62
Lives for gear
Wow, you guys are all totally ****ing insane. Seriously.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #63
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Wow, you guys are all totally ****ing insane. Seriously.
Nah, these are only the side-effects when people using their gear without wearing a tin foil hat
Old 22nd September 2011
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
This is a rationalization of a $350 "Neve" purchase. "I bought it as a "Neve" but if it sux, it's still a different tone" <<<<<<< Trash



This topic got side tracked to the GAP since someone mentioned it first. It's so bottem end, low budget and entry I wasn't even looking at that. I was gone after bootlegs marketed with the cute "almost" copies of the buttons and knobs and even the color. Trying real hard, no !?

If you want a 1073, spend the money and buy a real one.
And as I've said repeatedly (which you've ignored repeatedly!) is that sometimes...the clone beats the original. Yes, if you really want the 1073 sound, get a "real" 1073. by which I mean a vintage Neve 1073, not an AMS Neve 1073DPA. If you like the sound of a DPA, get the 1073DPA. If you like the Aurora, the Brent Averill, or the GAP73, get them.

If you "advertise" your studio as having a 1073, you should have a genuine Neve/AMS Neve 1073. Otherwise, it's just flavours.

I don't think you've actually used a GAP73, because you're going on about it being "so bottom end" etc, yet as I've already told you FROM EXPERIENCE that it holds it's own and at times even beats out the genuine thing. I'm not saying it's the best, most versatile pre ever. I am saying it's incredible value for money (better value for money than a 1073DPA for sure), and even if you have a genuine 1073, having a GAP (or any other variant) isn't a bad decision.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
The same could be said for alot of API gear.

A new API 312 is about $850

Would people really rather spend $400 on a clone ?...or "build their own" ..lol


Just pay up and get the real **** from the start. You'll feel better heh
You're forgetting that for some people, "paying up" is not an option. What's better, getting recording tomorrow, or in 6 months?

Given your example above, I certainly wouldn't build my own - I'd rather spend the time recording and earning the money to buy something properly built!

Again - if I wanted a real API, I'd buy one (in fact - my studio partner owns a 3124+. guess what, we both prefer the GAP73 for vocals!). If I wanted something similar, but not necessarily exactly the same as an API, I'd look at the other options.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #66
Lives for gear
 
_Ludovico's Avatar
 

Incredible how such threads bring up the same clichés all the time... some statements should be forbidden in here from now on.

Sometimes I feel some people come up with very well known, and OBVIOUS statement expecting a round of applause and instant respect from others. For my part, I just go behhhh to the policemen of elementary common sense.

FACTS :

AMS-Neve is Neve, just as Fender is Fender and Gibson is Gibson. Even though it changed hands. check.

Yes, no vintage 1073 sound alike. heard it enough. check.

Yes, other preamps outperform 1073's. check.

Yes, you can achieve great results with lower end gear. check.

Yes, if it sounds good, it's good. check.

yes, this is the moan zone and we have the right to moan. check

finally, I don't understand the whole 1073 thing since the coolest unit is surely the 1084. Check...?

Feel free to add to the list.

Don't applaud me. I don't deserve it. And you have the right to BEhhh at me too, i'm no better.

Old 23rd September 2011
  #67
Hey, sorry to inform you that my AMS Neve isn't a Neve. I think the vintage Neve's with Marinairs Transformer are the best sounding ones, don't even compare to the AMS DPA or DPD.

Let's remember that there are tons of revisions on the older Neves too. I've heard good and bad ones. But yeah the pre that I'm using has 1/10th of the Neve sound, I wouldn't be surprised if the Aurora Audio sounded closer to that original Neve 1073 sound.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #68
Lives for gear
 
_Ludovico's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Hey, sorry to inform you that my AMS Neve isn't a Neve. I think the vintage Neve's with Marinairs Transformer are the best sounding ones, don't even compare to the AMS DPA or DPD.

Let's remember that there are tons of revisions on the older Neves too. I've heard good and bad ones. But yeah the pre that I'm using has 1/10th of the Neve sound, I wouldn't be surprised if the Aurora Audio sounded closer to that original Neve 1073 sound.
To express my view, I think about guitars. Fender, for instance, has changed hands quite a few times. There are so many companies building strats knock-offs it's impossible to list them. Now, would you say a 2011 strat is not a strat because it does not have this or that original part from 1962? That for instance, a G&L is closer to a real strat that an actual Fender strat is? I don't think so. That's how I see it.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
To express my view, I think about guitars. Fender, for instance, has changed hands quite a few times. There are so many companies building strats knock-offs it's impossible to list them. Now, would you say a 2011 strat is not a strat because it does not have this or that original part from 1962? That for instance, a G&L is closer to a real strat that an actual Fender strat is? I don't think so. That's how I see it.
Not at all. The point also remains that to some a new strat is not as good as a vintage strat, despite the fact the sound might be as good (if slightly different), and in a lot of cases, the newer guitar could be better to play. You get guitar snobs just as you get preamp snobs. I've seen an awful lot of pros who could afford vintage strats choose newer ones, or indeed "clones" like the g+l because they prefer them, or they don't see that the benefit is worth the extra cost.

A vintage strat might be the "real deal". In your example both the g and l and to a certain extent the new strat are "clones". One just happens to have the same name, and you pay a price for that name. The g and l might be a superior guitar, it might not.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #70
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
". One just happens to have the same name, and you pay a price for that name. The g and l might be a superior guitar, it might not.
That kinda thinking could go on forever...Pick one side of the fence, you can't play both. By your thinking you could do that with ANYTHING.

For example:

"The bootleg Shure mics might be better then the original's.
"
"Bootleg car parts from Autozone might be better then OEM parts."
"Bootleg designer clothes/purses might be better then the real thing."

ect..

Bootlegs and knock-offs are ALWAYS inferior and are SOLELY made for people who don't have the money and to cheap to buy the real thing, period.

So you keep saying buy the newer bootlegs since the parts are newer, correct ?

Well why you buy a new clone/bootleg 1073 vs a NEW AMS Neve 1073 ?...To save money, thats why. No other reason. You can keep your "flavors" crap. If your pockets anit deep enough, you buy cheaper.
Old 24th September 2011
  #71
Lives for gear
 
_Ludovico's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

A vintage strat might be the "real deal". In your example both the g and l and to a certain extent the new strat are "clones". One just happens to have the same name, and you pay a price for that name. The g and l might be a superior guitar, it might not.
Well, to be fair, USA made Fender's are not really more expensive than G&L's... I don't really think you pay for the name "Fender" when buying american standard instruments. Custom Shop's are a different story, but they're priced like any other custom manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
Well why you buy a new clone/bootleg 1073 vs a NEW AMS Neve 1073 ?...To save money, thats why. No other reason. You can keep your "flavors" crap. If your pockets anit deep enough, you buy cheaper.
Yes, but it should not be said like it's wrong to save money either. But yes, people do tend to justify their expenses with other reasons, when the sole reason is the will to save money, or because they just don't have enough. So two sides of the coin.
Old 24th September 2011
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
Well, to be fair, USA made Fender's are not really more expensive than G&L's... I don't really think you pay for the name "Fender" when buying american standard instruments. Custom Shop's are a different story, but they're priced like any other custom manufacturer.
In that case, it's arguable that the G&L has more expensive components - because you ARE paying for the Fender name somehow. That's a large part of the worth of the brand - how many comparable manufacturers are there who make good guitars? How many has the average Joe heard of?

I don't think I've ever played a G&L guitar, so I could be completely wrong. I've played Fenders I didn't think were worthy of the price paid, and I've played Fenders that well outstripped their pricemark (in fact, I'm very lucky that my parents bought me a Korean Squire Strat for my 12th birthday that IMO and those that have played it, is comparable to mid range fenders in terms of playability, even if it could do with a pickup upgrade). But a recognisable name usually adds a markup in business - you could point to any number of companies whose brand has become synonymous with the appliance (Hoover for example).
Old 24th September 2011
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
That kinda thinking could go on forever...Pick one side of the fence, you can't play both. By your thinking you could do that with ANYTHING.

For example:

"The bootleg Shure mics might be better then the original's.
"
"Bootleg car parts from Autozone might be better then OEM parts."
"Bootleg designer clothes/purses might be better then the real thing."

ect..
I think you're confusing 2 different things here.

Bootleg Shure mics aren't made to be recreations of the real thing. They're made to rip people off when they THINK they're buying the real thing for a deal. They're marketed AS Shure mics. A comparable example in this case would be dynamic mics like the Audix i5 (which as it happens, I like in place of the 57 in some circumstances!), and other similar mics made by Sennheiser, EV etc. Some people also prefer these to the 57! the difference of course is they're similar prices to a 57.... but you're totally missing the point if you think that a bootleg mic branded as a shure is the same as a mic pre influenced by a 1073.

Same with bootleg designer clothes, DVDs, etc.

The car parts thing is different again. I don't know if you're aware, but quite a lot of the time, a factory will make car parts for both the manufacturer AND resellers. I drive a Saab - if I bought official Saab parts, then it'd cost me twice as much to service it. I've seen some parts side by side with the unbranded originals - they're IDENTICAL. Call me a cheaparse if you like - I call it not getting ripped off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
Bootlegs and knock-offs are ALWAYS inferior and are SOLELY made for people who don't have the money and to cheap to buy the real thing, period.
I don't think you know what Bootleg (in terms of manufacturing) means. It doesn't mean something like a GAP73 or an Aurora GTQ preamp. It means counterfeit merchandise. Bootleg CDs, DVDs, clothes, or Shure mics are marketed as if they were IDENTICAL to the real thing.

Car parts manufactured as unbranded aren't bootleg. If Golden Age branded their preamp "Neve 1073" and sold it as a genuine 1073, it'd be bootlegging I suppose. They don't.

I agree with your summary of people who buy bootlegged products, and the quality of the products themselves.. That isn't relevant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
So you keep saying buy the newer bootlegs since the parts are newer, correct ?

Well why you buy a new clone/bootleg 1073 vs a NEW AMS Neve 1073 ?...To save money, thats why. No other reason. You can keep your "flavors" crap. If your pockets anit deep enough, you buy cheaper.
Like I said, neither is a bootleg. Neither a "new" 1073 nor one of the modern clones/inspired by models is a "vintage" or "real" 1073. In fact, what you refuse to acknowledge is that some of the "bootlegs" as you put them, may well be closer to a given vintage 1073 than the "official" AMS-Neve 1073 is. How do you explain that?

You really do come off as a snob with little practical experience. You ignore the statements made (as I've repeatedly pointed out, sometimes the non-official option "sounds better". Please acknowledge this and offer a comment, or a reason why you think that's not a valid reason to buy something? or are different "flavours" not appropriate in your world?) and keep going on about cheapskates and buying cheaper because you can't afford the more expensive option! if that really was the case, should no-one buy anything unless they can afford a "real" fairchild? 'cos man, you're just being a cheapskate with your $3k+ ADL version.....it's not the "real thing"....
Old 24th September 2011
  #74
See for yourself

Like others have already mentioned, some of the clones are more authentic than the AMS Neve reissues. That's why people buy them. Different components = different sound. The DPA bears little resemblance to a vintage module.
Attached Thumbnails
All these Neve knock-offs as &quot;the real thing&quot;-neve1073dpa1.jpg   All these Neve knock-offs as &quot;the real thing&quot;-neve1073.jpg  
Old 24th September 2011
  #75
Gear Addict
 
tvboy123's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
The music business is big money and this stuff is what sets the pros from the hobbyists...
I'm most definitely a hobbyist and have never had a client, because I don't care to. Having a piece of gear, just means you're willing to spend that much on it. I sold my neve 1073dpd as I found it really didn't make too much of a difference...there's too many factors in the signal path, and the difference to me, wasn't worth the cash...to some it might be. I just wasn't satisfied, it didn't colour the signal as I would've thought a neve would. I have heard people do incredible productions on pretty 'poor' gear. But then again, with everything, it's all about opinion and if you think it will change the sound dramatically. A mic pre...in my experience, won't. Throw in some neve eq's, then you'll hear a difference, but that's an added part in the chain. It's all about what you do with the gear, rather than what name is on it, in my opinion.
Old 27th September 2011
  #76
Gear Addict
 
always_ending's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
That kinda thinking could go on forever...Pick one side of the fence, you can't play both. By your thinking you could do that with ANYTHING.

For example:

"The bootleg Shure mics might be better then the original's.
"
"Bootleg car parts from Autozone might be better then OEM parts."
"Bootleg designer clothes/purses might be better then the real thing."

ect..

Bootlegs and knock-offs are ALWAYS inferior and are SOLELY made for people who don't have the money and to cheap to buy the real thing, period.

So you keep saying buy the newer bootlegs since the parts are newer, correct ?

Well why you buy a new clone/bootleg 1073 vs a NEW AMS Neve 1073 ?...To save money, thats why. No other reason. You can keep your "flavors" crap. If your pockets anit deep enough, you buy cheaper.


So to summarize this post, you're deriding people who "nut ride" clones of Neve Pre's......

all the while "nut riding" Neve Pre's



I find your hypocrisy quite hilarious, thank you for brightening up my morning




In other news, I have both Vintech 473 Pre's and his 609CA, both Neve "clones" and they've worked wonders on things that pair well with that type of sound desired. NOTHING works 100% of the time my man, so keep "moaning" about people who use clones, while those people keep recording beautiful music, I'm out!
Old 27th September 2011
  #77
Gear Addict
 
always_ending's Avatar
 

BTW, you're asking about "Pro's" and their uses of these "clones".....

Michael Brauer.

If you don't recognize his name, perhaps read the section of PRO engineers in the forums....

has used these Vintech Pre's EXCLUSIVELY for a Paul McCartney live DVD & album

No big deal.... he's really a "nobody" what with his 35 + Grammy awards and all....
Old 27th September 2011
  #78
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
So to summarize this post, you're deriding people who "nut ride" clones of Neve Pre's......

all the while "nut riding" Neve Pre's



I find your hypocrisy quite hilarious, thank you for brightening up my morning




In other news, I have both Vintech 473 Pre's and his 609CA, both Neve "clones" and they've worked wonders on things that pair well with that type of sound desired. NOTHING works 100% of the time my man, so keep "moaning" about people who use clones, while those people keep recording beautiful music, I'm out!
They are not clones, they are bootlegs, knock-offs, fakes...

I happen to like originally (real Neve) rather then bull**** companies just taking other peoples ideas and making $ off them from sheep like the users in this topic.

Hey whatever floats your boat...
Old 27th September 2011
  #79
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
BTW, you're asking about "Pro's" and their uses of these "clones".....

Michael Brauer.

If you don't recognize his name, perhaps read the section of PRO engineers in the forums....

has used these Vintech Pre's EXCLUSIVELY for a Paul McCartney live DVD & album

No big deal.... he's really a "nobody" what with his 35 + Grammy awards and all....

Good for him, he can be the spokesman for Vintech then and make a commercial on their site about how good it is that he recorded a Beatle with them.

Lots of money to be made there
Old 27th September 2011
  #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
They are not clones, they are bootlegs, knock-offs, fakes...

I happen to like originally (real Neve) rather then bull**** companies just taking other peoples ideas and making $ off them from sheep like the users in this topic.

Hey whatever floats your boat...
As I've already pointed out - they're NOT bootlegs, knock-offs OR fakes - in fact, the only thing that could be considered a "clone"..is the Neve 1073 DPA. Everything else is just a design "inspired" by the original.

Don't know why you've got such a bee in your bonnet about this. It's not like Neve invented the mic pre or anything...it's only one design, and arguably some of the "bootlegs" as you put it improve on the original.

"Sheep"? if you say so. Not that anyone cares what you think!
Old 28th September 2011
  #81
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
As I've already pointed out - they're NOT bootlegs, knock-offs OR fakes - in fact, the only thing that could be considered a "clone"..is the Neve 1073 DPA. Everything else is just a design "inspired" by the original.

Don't know why you've got such a bee in your bonnet about this. It's not like Neve invented the mic pre or anything...it's only one design, and arguably some of the "bootlegs" as you put it improve on the original.

"Sheep"? if you say so. Not that anyone cares what you think!
Good for you guys !

Neve invented the 1073, which everyone copies, so yes they invented the 1073 (which were discussing here)


Quote:
"Everything else is just a design "inspired" by the original"
..but you just said they didn't invent the 1073 ?

Heres the definition of a clone..exact replica:


clone noun?/kl?n/?
clones, plural

  1. A group of organisms or cells produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical
  2. An individual organism or cell so produced
  3. A person or thing regarded as identical to another
    • - successful women don't want to be male clones
  4. A microcomputer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model
    • - an IBM PC clone


verb?/kl?n/?
cloned, past participle;?cloned, past tense;?clones, 3rd person singular present;?cloning, present participle

  1. Propagate (an organism or cell) as a clone
    • - of the hundreds of new plants cloned, the best ones are selected
  2. Make an identical copy of
  3. Replicate (a fragment of DNA placed in an organism) so that there is enough to analyze or use in protein production
  4. [CODE]Illegally copy the security codes from (a mobile phone) to one or more others as a way of obtaining free calls


...but then you say they are not identical copies, just" "inspired" (you said it not me)

As by definition a "clone" is a exact copy, which these "inspired" by are not, so therefore they are not "clones" at all, but bootlegs, fakes & copies.

heh
Old 28th September 2011
  #82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
Good for you guys !

Neve invented the 1073, which everyone copies, so yes they invented the 1073 (which were discussing here)


..but you just said they didn't invent the 1073 ?

Heres the definition of a clone..exact replica:


clone noun?/kl?n/?
clones, plural

  1. A group of organisms or cells produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical
  2. An individual organism or cell so produced
  3. A person or thing regarded as identical to another
    • - successful women don't want to be male clones
  4. A microcomputer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model
    • - an IBM PC clone


verb?/kl?n/?
cloned, past participle;?cloned, past tense;?clones, 3rd person singular present;?cloning, present participle

  1. Propagate (an organism or cell) as a clone
    • - of the hundreds of new plants cloned, the best ones are selected
  2. Make an identical copy of
  3. Replicate (a fragment of DNA placed in an organism) so that there is enough to analyze or use in protein production
  4. [CODE]Illegally copy the security codes from (a mobile phone) to one or more others as a way of obtaining free calls


...but then you say they are not identical copies, just" "inspired" (you said it not me)

As by definition a "clone" is a exact copy, which these "inspired" by are not, so therefore they are not "clones" at all, but bootlegs, fakes & copies.

heh
Sigh...to be a bootleg or a fake, it has to be purporting to be EXACTLY the same as the original....including branding. A pair of Calvin Klein faked jeans aren't called "Kelvin Clone" are they? They're meant to BE identical, or at least as close as possible.

You're making the quite fundamental error that everyone who makes a 1073-INSPIRED product is intending to make something that is not only functionally identical to a 1073 original, but that will be mistaken for one because it's badged as a Neve.

NONE of the "clones" are badged as a Neve, so BY DEFINITION they CAN'T be "fakes" or "bootlegs". A GAP73 is a "real" GAP73, not a "fake" 1073.

So, not fakes or bootlegs. Copies? Well, up to a point - I don't think I ever said that 1073 inspired preamps weren't "copied" in some aspect, you've only just used that word. But most makers would argue they're NOT trying to make identical versions of a 1073 under a different name, and have merely taken some of the same electronics, and in some cases may even claim to have improved on some aspects of the design - lower noise specs, better value for money, and so on.

In fact, the ONLY 1073 "clone" currently available is...the Neve 1073 DPA - it's got the same name as the original Neve 1073, and purports to be the same preamp, although it's actually quite different inside. Really, that's the only one, under the English definitions of the word, that could be considered a "bootleg" or "fake". Except I guess even that doesn't qualify, since AMS Neve own the Neve name, although you could still argue "fake" since it's NOT the same (by a long shot) as the original.

heh yourself.
Old 28th September 2011
  #83
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sigh...to be a bootleg or a fake, it has to be purporting to be EXACTLY the same as the original....including branding. A pair of Calvin Klein faked jeans aren't called "Kelvin Clone" are they? They're meant to BE identical, or at least as close as possible.

You're making the quite fundamental error that everyone who makes a 1073-INSPIRED product is intending to make something that is not only functionally identical to a 1073 original, but that will be mistaken for one because it's badged as a Neve.

NONE of the "clones" are badged as a Neve, so BY DEFINITION they CAN'T be "fakes" or "bootlegs". A GAP73 is a "real" GAP73, not a "fake" 1073.

So, not fakes or bootlegs. Copies? Well, up to a point - I don't think I ever said that 1073 inspired preamps weren't "copied" in some aspect, you've only just used that word. But most makers would argue they're NOT trying to make identical versions of a 1073 under a different name, and have merely taken some of the same electronics, and in some cases may even claim to have improved on some aspects of the design - lower noise specs, better value for money, and so on.

In fact, the ONLY 1073 "clone" currently available is...the Neve 1073 DPA - it's got the same name as the original Neve 1073, and purports to be the same preamp, although it's actually quite different inside. Really, that's the only one, under the English definitions of the word, that could be considered a "bootleg" or "fake". Except I guess even that doesn't qualify, since AMS Neve own the Neve name, although you could still argue "fake" since it's NOT the same (by a long shot) as the original.

heh yourself.
I give you credit for trying, but your not gonna tell me the bootleggers aren't trying to convince people their 1073 is the real deal when they copy the knobs, colors and knob rotation. Can you try any harder then that ?

Neve is Neve, its their design they can do what they want.

Not trying to market them as the same sound ?

There's a video by Vintech showing their 73 & a Neve 1073 on identical sources phase canceling (supposedly) each other...Sir that is not advertising a "inspired" pre, but advertising a copy.

Why not design your own gear to make your name and following instead of biting off of well known gear ?..."oh look Billy, another clone for $1300"

Leave well enough alone and create something new !

Why is all expensive gear copied ?...So the poor folks can spend their extra rent money on somethingt. hey are told is the same thing as whats outta their price range. Sad
Old 28th September 2011
  #84
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
...but it can't be argued they hold the patents and copywrites to all the Neve gear including the 1073. How many other audio companies are allowed by law to have "Neve" in their name ?
There are no copywrites or patents on the 1073. The only thing AMS own's a copywrite on from a 1073 is the "N" logo.

By the time Neve was acquired by the Siemens group about 30 years ago... all of the classic products that we all love were long abandoned in favor of digital consoles and IC based consoles/ circuits.

Fast forward a couple of decades or so.... When they decided to re-issue the 1073, they were essentially starting from scratch... with a different company, and a different staff (with only one person left that had actually been around during the discrete circuit days). This is a company that Rupert had not been a part of for nearly 40 years. To give you a music industry equivalent... It's like if Island Records decided to make reggae music again.... even though Bob Marley has long since passed and they haven't made that kind of music in decades (since being purchased by Polygram in the 80's).

As a side note... even in the old days, all of the parts for the 1073 were sourced by Neve from other companies. Whether we are talking about the knobs (Marconi), transformers (various), transistors, capacitors, etc. To say that someone who purchases a 1073 DPA has the "real deal", but someone with a BAE 1073 doesn't, would only prove true if the ONLY thing we concerned ourselves with was a little logo in the corner.. and not the internal components.

Anyway, if you want to argue about the "real deals"... Argue why people should buy the originals. And not ANY of the remakes, bootlegs, and other copies (including those made by AMS).

BTW, people should realize the EQ is based on Peter Baxandall's design... careful throwing out the word "invention" around in reference to the 1073... it doesn't apply here. It's a design.... a circuit design that borrowed from previous designs... it's not an "invention".
Old 28th September 2011
  #85
Lives for gear
 
andsonic's Avatar
 

Just one other thing to pile on:

The only "real" Neves being built today are from Rupert Neve Designs. He's the man who designed the 1073. He's the designer who's maintained the evolution of the design from back then until now. Those preamps started as Neve, continued as Focusrite, went on through the Amek 9098 series (a clue to the Neve heritage), and is finally Rupert Neve Designs.

Saying a Neve 1073 DPA is the same as the classic 1073 is like comparing today's Focusrite to Neve's 1980s Focusrite. The only things the same are the trademarks.

But then one of the most respected posters on GS has been telling you that and you're labeling him a troll for doing so.

Sounds to me like you just spent $40,000 on ten 1073 DPA's and need to justify your purchase.
Old 28th September 2011
  #86
I would say myself that the BAE sounds a lot closer to the Neve 1073s I've worked with at various studios than the AMS does.
Old 28th September 2011
  #87
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post
Just one other thing to pile on:

The only "real" Neves being built today are from Rupert Neve Designs. He's the man who designed the 1073. He's the designer who's maintained the evolution of the design from back then until now.
It should be noted that the 1073 design was a group effort. It was not designed by Rupert, but a team of people including him.

And, the stuff he made post Neve with Focusrite, Amek, Summit, etc to his current company now have nothing in common with the 1073's circuitry. Until recently, he probably would have taken it as an insult if he read comments like this.
Old 28th September 2011
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
Having glanced over this thread it appears that...


Preamp pissing contests are just as boring in the moan zone as elsewhere on GS.
Old 29th September 2011
  #89
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsonic View Post

But then one of the most respected posters on GS has been telling you that and you're labeling him a troll for doing so.

All was well until he logged into his other account to bash and trolled and not his "respected user" account.

Read back through the pages and you'll see he was called out on it....

People have to much faith into "good" users sometimes.


...but as I said regarding this topic. People will always justify saving money. The audio world is no different.
Old 29th September 2011
  #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
That's just it, if you want the Neve sound, don't waste $1500 on a Vintech knock-off, say another $1500 and get the real thing.

Are you really getting close to a Neve with a $350 GAP knock-off ? IMO, nowhere near.

The music business is big money and this stuff is what sets the pros from the hobbyists...
a lot of studios I've been are using vintech's (x73's) because they sound the same and are more reliable... yes, they sound the same... any variance is the same as between actual modules themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Having glanced over this thread it appears that...


Preamp pissing contests are just as boring in the moan zone as elsewhere on GS.

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump