The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avoid gear repair ripoff in FLORIDA!!! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Avoid gear repair ripoff in FLORIDA!!!

Before I get to the ‘meat o the matta’, let me give you a brief history relevant to my experiences and tribulations in the music biz.It is relatively short, because I have only been RIPPED OFF ONE TIME in over 45 years of having amplifiers repaired. That is a lot of amps, and a lot of techs.

The last guy ended up in what amounted to changing my power tubes for $1500, and billed me for all kinds of fraudulent repairs, and it happened to me way down in Florida, (but not all the way down in the Keys)!

OK. So I intend to give you a clear picture of how to avoid getting ripped off when you bring your amp in, and hopefully my info will help you stay well clear of a THIEF masquerading as the affable nice guy tech who wants to help you out “all he can”, and he will make it what is “most cost effective” just for you., you lucky dog, you!

Step1: If you can get his business card or just write down his Business Name verbatim. You can then do the search listed in Step3 without bringing in your gear. Maybe you will have to inquire more about other Fictitious Names he uses.

Step2: Get an estimate. Almost all LEGITIMATE guys will charge you a nominal fee ($30 or so) to diagnose the problem. This is of course, the way real business is done. If your potential tech acts very affable and giddily friendly and says I will take a look at it and tell you what I think it is, what that probably really means is: “this guy looks like he doesn’t know s&*$. He will probably go for whatever I tell him”.

In other words, he has sized you up as someone he can swindle in some shape or fashion. Make sure you get an estimate with the official letterhead and make sure the tech’s first and last name, and the company he is DOING BUSINESS AS, is on that document.

You may also want to make sure that he doesn’t want you to make your payment out to some other entity other than what his Business entity is on your estimate document. If he does, have him disclose that name and write it down verbatim. If he wants you to make a check out to him personally, or pay him in cash because he is ‘having trouble with the banks’ or some such crap, grab your equipment and tell him “Adios MoFo”.

Then, make sure you tell all your friends about it, and avoid him like Syphillis no matter what anybody at Sam Ash or Guitar Center tell you!! No need to go to step 3 if this is the case!

Step3: Go on the web and go to whatever County Court system this tech is doing business in. Search for the public case search page. Do as many public searches in all the county civil cases using both the name of your tech’s business, and also his first and last name. This is FREE!

Do this because he may have registered his company under such a name after previous lawsuits filed and judgments levied against the Fictitious Name registration he originally used, and many states just allow you to register under another name, add the INC. to your surname or whatever, in the hope that results will not surface when someone is searching for dubious court records that will help one determine if this guy is BAD NEWS!
If the company (or his name) comes up in the search results, there will be most likely be more than a few instances, and they are not showing up because he has been ‘misunderstood’ or he has had ‘bad luck’.

They are showing up because he has thought time and time again over the years, that you are just another SUCKER that he is a lot more CLEVER than, and because he has gotten away with it before, he can and will do so again! The tech that I had a problem with thought he knew more than freakin’ Einstein and Fermi put together. To be totally frank, the courts suck when dealing with this sort of thing, so my aim is to help you to avoid having to go through what I did for over a year.

They courts are only effective when the State wants $$$ FROM YOU!!! Businesses, especially in DIMWIT Florida, get all the breaks. It is probably the same all over except maybe in Vermont, because they have people like Bernie Sanders representing them.
Most techs are probably honest Joes’, but with the economy tanking, some may have been morally weakened and gone over to the DARK Side. I had to deal with one of these ahoes, and it has been a *&&^$ Nightmare!

Take care of your stuff and be careful who you bring it to!! PM me if you have any questions, and I will be glad to help!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search