The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix depression
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mix depression

Do any of you guys ever get so hung up on a mix that it causes depression? It's happened to me from time to time in a minor way, but this particular album is causing me so much stress.

We recently relocated to a new house with a new studio setup, and have a baby on the way. Stress is a little more than usual because of those circumstances, but I'm feeling a bit worthless over this.

The particular album was going great right up til mix time. Now it seems like whatever I do makes it sound worse and I'm starting to hate it. I NEVER take this long to crank out mixes, but I've been mixing this on and off for over a month. I had a sinus infection in the middle of it all that made everything sound bad, so I stopped working on it for a while. However, since that cleared up, it sounds horrible, like I've forgotten how to mix at all.

Has anyone ever gotten this hung up that they really just felt like throwing in the towel altogether?

I'm going insane here.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe it's time to take a step back and try something different?

if you're mixing ITB reset all your plugins and try rebuilding the mix, chances are you're in the process of over thinking it and thusly you're over EQing/Compressing, etc....
Maybe the arrangements just aren't working and you need to scale back some of the tracks.
Maybe you need to try something radical and mute all of the drums except the overheads and the kick.
Try messing with pan or funky effects.
Just get in another head space, think differently, be bold.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Do any of you guys ever get so hung up on a mix that it causes depression? It's happened to me from time to time in a minor way, but this particular album is causing me so much stress.

We recently relocated to a new house with a new studio setup, and have a baby on the way. Stress is a little more than usual because of those circumstances, but I'm feeling a bit worthless over this.

The particular album was going great right up til mix time. Now it seems like whatever I do makes it sound worse and I'm starting to hate it. I NEVER take this long to crank out mixes, but I've been mixing this on and off for over a month. I had a sinus infection in the middle of it all that made everything sound bad, so I stopped working on it for a while. However, since that cleared up, it sounds horrible, like I've forgotten how to mix at all.

Has anyone ever gotten this hung up that they really just felt like throwing in the towel altogether?

I'm going insane here.
Plenty of times. It seems to me that you have become too attached to the project at hand. If your ears can't hear right, you're just going to make bad decision after bad decision. Take a break. Wait till you're feeling better and your ears unclog before continuing. A great thing to do while waiting is to create more music instead of mixing. Sometime it helps sometimes it doesn't. See, you probably don't have a set date to have the project finished which multiplies problems even more. Ultimately, you might have to pass the project on to someone else. In the end, an album can sound amazing without you mixing it. I think that's the biggest fear we have a mixing engineers and artists.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
(snip)...

The particular album was going great right up til mix time....(snip)
This.
Old 14th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
I've been right there with ya buddy!

I track alot of things myself as well.

And I have done some good tracks, but by the time I have finished recording and mixing I become completely numb to music.. I become extremely critical over everything.. I start to become obsessive and get down about it, the amount of times I have changed styles of music because I became so numb to everything is unreal..

It happened again not so long ago so I took a week off, did the garden and crap when I came to listen to my stuff I really like it lol....

I never heard anyone who says I am bad at what I do from a musician / Mixing and Mastering perspective.

I always find it easier to mix and master some one else's work, my own stuff just get's tweaked to the point where it sounds like crap.. Then I have time off and start from scratch.

By the way I have gotten so angry with it before I have deleted 6 months of work saying it's all crap..

No wonder I never get anywhere
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments so far. Appreciate just having a discussion here about it. I feel like I should note that since we moved, things were better at first. I knocked out a couple singles for some very happy clients, mixed an EP that was a grand slam. I was feeling great about the place. Brad Blackwood even commented that for one EP I mixed to be in a new room, I really knocked it out of the park.

Then came another EP that I struggled on horrendously. The client was happy with it, but I never really was. After that came this album. Sometimes I really wish I could just do parts of projects. As in JUST record and produce or JUST mix. My capabilities are nowhere near being a Mastering guy, so I'll leave that one to the experts.

I'm also currently working on another 6 song EP that's turning out great mix wise. I'm very proud of it. I'm just so hung on this one album. Nothing at all sound right about it.

I'm also in the process of building a new huge room that's going to sound fantastic when it's finished, so there's a little bit of that "oh man, if I could have tracked this later it would have been better" thing going on too. Idk, but I've never been this depressed over working my dream job. It's a bit ridiculous, haha.
Old 15th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Thanks for the comments so far. Appreciate just having a discussion here about it. I feel like I should note that since we moved, things were better at first. I knocked out a couple singles for some very happy clients, mixed an EP that was a grand slam. I was feeling great about the place. Brad Blackwood even commented that for one EP I mixed to be in a new room, I really knocked it out of the park.

Then came another EP that I struggled on horrendously. The client was happy with it, but I never really was. After that came this album. Sometimes I really wish I could just do parts of projects. As in JUST record and produce or JUST mix. My capabilities are nowhere near being a Mastering guy, so I'll leave that one to the experts.

I'm also currently working on another 6 song EP that's turning out great mix wise. I'm very proud of it. I'm just so hung on this one album. Nothing at all sound right about it.

I'm also in the process of building a new huge room that's going to sound fantastic when it's finished, so there's a little bit of that "oh man, if I could have tracked this later it would have been better" thing going on too. Idk, but I've never been this depressed over working my dream job. It's a bit ridiculous, haha.
TBH with you, ya have to paint it black and white.

If you have an excellent source it shouldn't be an extreme task to mix it. You just tweak, balance and improve to a point where the sound is very nice to your ears.

If you are struggling and sending yourself crazy trying to make it sound right, then maybe it's not you that's the problem buddy.

It may of even been a good performance, but was it the right one?
Old 16th September 2011
restpause
Mixing drives me nuts nearly every time.

I just spent much of the last 24 hours on the same tune and it still sucks. I'm the type of guy who gets fed up and deletes the multitracks to spare myself from overmixing. It just sucks. I get depressed too.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Are you guys doing this work for your own music? Deleting tracks may be what I feel like doing, but it sure would piss some people off, haha.

At least I realized my sinuses were effecting my ears pretty dramatically. The kicker was when I put on some of my favorite records to listen to and THEY sounded like total ass.

Things seem to be clearing up. I had a friend come by and listen to the tracks and his immediate comment was something along the lines of "with that guitar tone, you're not going to get a good mix no matter what you do".

As fate would have it, this whole process I've felt like everything sounded fine if the guitars were muted. So lo and behold, he offered to bring a few of his amps over and have some reamp fun to try and help me out on it. Now I'm cheering up a bit.

I'm also tempted to move my mixing desk out into the new room that's around 27'x25' with 12ft ceilings. The room is totally nowhere near ready, but it's tempting to just baffle off a mixing spot and see if it improves workflow. Only downside is I'd have to take it all down for the next phase of construction.

Sorry for the random multi-point rant. I'm going to go read some more about QRD's now.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

yes it happened to me when i got new setup and space, it took me 6 months to learn my new environment
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

keep on listening to different kind of music, at mixing volume for a week or two..
Old 16th September 2011
Thumbs up

Quote:

I'm going insane here.

OK, I TOTALLY here you, man. I have been there. And been there. And been there.

Some suggestions:

1. Try some different approaches with room/treatment/monitoring. Rotate your mixing position. Try some new monitors. Try a more drastic damping around your mix position. Hang some moving blankets. Whatever. Change your physical space a little to mix things up, and give you a NEW perspective.

2. Take a BREAK. A day, 2 days, 2 weeks, whatEVER it takes to gain perspective. Have some fun. Do something that makes you feel GOOD. Eat some healthy food, enjoy the sun. Take a walk in a beautiful area. Talk to some people you really respect and enjoy talking with. For fun. For inspiration. For ideas about life, and the stages of life.

3. Put some new ideas in your head. Focus on things you don't usually focus on. Like some new dynamics or EQ concepts. New rhythm section or mix bus concepts. Throw some things on the mix bus you WOULD NEVER USE.

4. Listen to music and mixes that make you HAPPY. You can A-B with recordings you like, etc. Some of your favorites. Close your eyes. DRINK the music in. REMEMBER why you got into doing music to begin with. Have FUN with it. Relax.

5. Try to center more. Deep breaths. Feel your life. Push the stress away. It's only freekin' MUSIC, after all. Most of your friends would KILL to have your job. Relax. ENJOY your work.

On the bright side - I often find that when I'm REALLY struggling - is when I get some of my best work done.

Remember, it's your life. You only have one, so might as well frikkin' ENJOY it!

It's MUSIC. It's not like you're working in the frikkin' coal mines, fer cryin' out loud!

Cheers, and best of luck, man!

Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Book someone else to finish the mix.
Sometimes that's best for everyone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search