The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Misinformation overload Dynamic Microphones
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Misinformation overload

Can you remember when you used to just have an opinion of your own and not consult thousands of other people and take on board loads of ****e and misguided misinformation :+)

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
Can you remember when you used to just have an opinion of your own and not consult thousands of other people and take on board loads of ****e and misguided misinformation :+)

And take advice from people that sound like they know what's going on....and then you click on a link to their music
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

This place is full of nutters not discounting myself
But still some good guys about thank whatever god!

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Or you think your talking to an adult, then some how you realize its just an infant behind a mixing board!??!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ha ha ! She's a wee bit older now and knows how to turn anything on or off or up full depending on her preference .wish i could get away with saying "daddy it's just noise! Turn it off" sometimes :-)

Old 11th September 2011
Well I've learnt everything I know from other people, and i wouldn't be where I am today without other people's opinions.
Granted the internet as a whole has given equal space to people with years of experience hard won and people who have done virtually nothing but read opinion on the net and regurgitate it.
The sad aspect is probably that people don't understand their own limitations. So you'll have an SAE student claiming Tchad Blake has no clue.
Old 11th September 2011
I love soliciting advice and talking shop. I've spoken with engineers that I consider great and have disagreed with them on some things regardless of how much better their work is than mine. Use your ears as always. Not everyone hears the same but that doesn't mean there's nothing to gain from discussing gear, technique and the process with others. If something sounds absurdly wrong it might be that case, or you might not know something that poster "misinforming" you does. I've been proven wrong plenty of times this way by saying something is completely outlandish only to find that I'M F**KING IT UP and the concept being explained makes perfect sense. I'm by no means saying that everyone who posts here is making sense and you're insane but unless you're freelancing what do you have to lose by trying something out that was suggested here? The suggestions made are usually made in an effort to help others. Instead of starting a thread ripping on inexperienced enthusiasts try helping them grasp the concepts. No offense intended of course just perhaps a different approach/opinion for you.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Er.. Just ignore this.I love this place and can someone take my phone off me late at night!

Sent from my hungover x10
Old 11th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
I think I already B*****d about this one

It's never been so hard to get good advice.. I just rent stuff now and make up my own mind.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

No one really cares what happens to you in VR.
The advice is worth the price you paid for it.
Old 11th September 2011
Just sort out the guys you don't trust. A lot of kiddies lately on gearslutz. I think after the Chris Lago ban there is new room for proper advice

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011

I'm gonna start a "one in every five things I say is true" line of reasoning......
Old 11th September 2011
There is no pre-amp.
Old 11th September 2011
Talking

Yeah, I guess disinformation wasn't good enough?

Old 11th September 2011
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyvect View Post
I think I already B*****d about this one

It's never been so hard to get good advice.. I just rent stuff now and make up my own mind.

Plus freekin' one.

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. This often includes studio gear / config design.

And trying to see the reality past the company marketing and gear pimps is a WHOLE NUTHER BARREL a MONKEYS!

It's just as easy to whine about the pimps as it is to whine about the newbs.

Furthermore, EVERYONE'S got an opinion, and even a seasoned professional's opinion might not be relevant for a particular issue.

I love this place, but it can definitely be like Planet of the Parrots. (Can you say McDonalds or Burger King? I knew you could).

And once you start digging past the marketing, hype and 'monkey see, monkey do' - you often find a VERY different reality.

100,000+ slutz have opinions about U87s and Neves, and I bet 50% plus have never used either.

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
There is no pre-amp.
Yeah, I sold the preamp cuz everyone on the board told me to get a compressor instead. Preamps are soooo last month. I just can't figure out where I'm supposed to plug my SM7B into it. It's a ribbon mic, maybe it just needs more phantom powers.
Old 11th September 2011
Another myth. Phantoms have no power; or, if they do, it's a sort of evil, dark power that is not useful in audio production, except of course by guitar players or singers or band girlfriends.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone got hold of the elusive SM6? Particularly the SM6 A .B's are cack!

Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I'm gonna start a "one in every five things I say is true" line of reasoning......
I thought you already did that?!
Old 12th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I thought you already did that?!
you'd never be able to tell....... that's how good I am.....
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's 2 narcoman ,only 3 more and we'll get one piece of truth ,if it's 1 out of 5 per thread.
Old 12th September 2011

coal makes very good budgie feed.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

That must be why there were all those canary's down coalmines

Old 12th September 2011

dammit - you spotted the true one......
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

^ so then the above is false ...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think He has one more left to go
Old 13th September 2011

No, this is the false one...... hahaaaaaaaaaaaaheh
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

You have violated nyquist in teh digital domain god help you....
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dave, I think you're confusing the digital and analogue domains. Stop diddling with semantics
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Dave, I think you're confusing the digital and analogue domains. Stop diddling with semantics
INTERSAMPLE PEAKS DON'T EXIST! YOU WILL ALL BOW DOWN TO MY SUPERIOR USEAGE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE! ahem. I'm off to shout at random strangers in the street...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search